Jolly Pirate fish?

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Jolly Pirate fish?

Postby climberslacker on Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:44 pm

Ok so the jolly pirate fish is the symbol of our church right?

how exactly did it come about? Just a pirate version of the christian fish?

Ok thanks!
climberslacker
Conchigliette Convert

Re: Jolly Pirate fish?

Postby Ubi Dubius on Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:28 pm

Exactly. Have you read The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster? It is marvelous, it is The Truth, and you can find it at your local bookseller.
Davros, Attorney and Pieces of Law
Keeping up appearances is a very important activity in religion; in fact, maintaining tattered illusions is its main activity. - Richard Wade, on Friendlyatheist.com
We make an idol of our fear and call it God. -Ingmar Bergman, The Seventh Seal
Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!

Postby daftbeaker on Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:28 pm

Yep, it's a less obvious parody of the christian Icthys. The FSM and Darwin versions are a bit blatant.

Plus, the pirate fish is a pirate and has an eye-patch. What's not to like? :fsm_yarr:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby TwistedSister on Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:56 pm

Nope, it's what's leftover after Nef Yoo (you will see him with a big lolly in his mouth) has his dinner.
I had to fight the little runt to get it, he hit me with his lolly.
* If evolution is just a theory, religion is just an opinion.
* You never know when I'll be watching.
TwistedSister
Desperate, twisted cookie pusher

Postby Ubi Dubius on Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:40 pm

Now it has cat fur on it. He's gonna lick it anyway.
Keeping up appearances is a very important activity in religion; in fact, maintaining tattered illusions is its main activity. - Richard Wade, on Friendlyatheist.com
Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!

Postby PKMKII on Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:16 pm

Ubi Dubius wrote:Exactly. Have you read The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster? It is marvelous, it is The Truth, and you can find it at your local bookseller.

What section is it typically in? I've checked both the humor and religion sections at the local mega-bookstores, couldn't find it.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby black bart on Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:20 am

I just had to say:

I was on the train this morning wearing my 'Touched by his Noodly Appendage' T Shirt and a guy sat down opposite me and said: 'Nice T-Shirt'...Hurrah, that's the first time I've had a comment from a stranger.

I'm going to get a Pirate Fish one as well because my old one is getting a bit grubby and stained.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Ubi Dubius on Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:15 am

PKMKII wrote:
Ubi Dubius wrote:Exactly. Have you read The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster? It is marvelous, it is The Truth, and you can find it at your local bookseller.

What section is it typically in? I've checked both the humor and religion sections at the local mega-bookstores, couldn't find it.

Behind the counter.

I reserved it through Barnes and Nobles' website.
Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!

Postby daftbeaker on Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:51 am

black bart wrote:I was on the train this morning wearing my 'Touched by his Noodly Appendage' T Shirt and a guy sat down opposite me and said: 'Nice T-Shirt'...Hurrah, that's the first time I've had a comment from a stranger.

You spoke to a stranger on the train? Are you sure you're british? :idiot:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby Cardinal Fang on Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:26 pm

daftbeaker wrote:
black bart wrote:I was on the train this morning wearing my 'Touched by his Noodly Appendage' T Shirt and a guy sat down opposite me and said: 'Nice T-Shirt'...Hurrah, that's the first time I've had a comment from a stranger.

You spoke to a stranger on the train? Are you sure you're british? :idiot:

:lol:

Could be a northerner - it tends to be the southerners who don't want to talk to anyone. I'm a tweener - born in the south but family from "oop north", so I still talk to random people on the train etc.

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".
Cardinal Fang
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby black bart on Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:34 am

I know what you're saying...in this scenario the good old FSM was working his magic. I'm from Wales where people talk to each other and about each other a bit too much if anything, but if someone talks to you on the London Underground you immediately assume they're weird or drunk...and they usually are!
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Edd on Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:15 am

Ubi Dubius wrote:
PKMKII wrote:

Behind the counter.

I reserved it through Barnes and Nobles' website.

I've only come across it in the humor section, almost always only a single copy sandwiched between other books, never face-front.
"Oook." - The Librarian

Visit the new and improved Agnoistrology.com!
Edd
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Almighty Doer of Stuff on Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:36 am

Edd wrote:almost always only a single copy sandwiched between other books, never face-front.

This especially sucks, because people are always looking for a red hardcover. It's a white paperback, with an equally white spine that has the title in red, Bobby Henderson in black, and the Villard logo.
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!
-------------------------------
The Almighty Website of Stuff, home of my poetry and other artwork and other stuff!
Almighty Doer of Stuff
Brewmeister

Postby Hippie Pirate on Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:50 am

A parody? Isn't it the other way around?

I thought that the pirate fish thing was just something we used because of the fossil that was found... :tongue:
Reducing global warming since 1989.

Rev Points at the moment = 4
Hippie Pirate
Lumache Lieutenant

Postby PKMKII on Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:24 pm

Talking on the subway? Hell, on the NYC subways, people avoid prolonged eye contact, let alone conversation.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Next

Return to All Things FSM