You're a Good Christian

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Re: You're a Good Christian

Postby Ubi Dubius on Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:36 am

bacon wrote:unless ubi's name is christian - in which chase, you could be a good christian then

It isn't.

Interesting thought that hadn't occurred to me before. Do we know anybody named Christian or Jesus who is not a Christian? Or a Mohammad who is not a Moslem?

I have acquaintances named Pagan (accent on the 2nd syllable), Heretick (he attended seminary for a time - no kidding), Angel Gabriel, and Christ (pronounced like Chris with a "t" added).
Davros, Attorney and Pieces of Law
Keeping up appearances is a very important activity in religion; in fact, maintaining tattered illusions is its main activity. - Richard Wade, on Friendlyatheist.com
We make an idol of our fear and call it God. -Ingmar Bergman, The Seventh Seal
User avatar
Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!
 
Posts: 5253
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:50 pm
Location: Varrrrrrgggggghhhhhhinia

Re: You're a Good Christian

Postby Scott the Pirate on Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:07 pm

I worked on a farm with a mexican guy named Jesus (hey-zeus) who's an atheist. The farms owners said that since he isnt christian they wouldnt call him that. They called him Jesse.
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
:lech:
User avatar
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth
 
Posts: 8370
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 11:32 pm
Location: Either on my bike or at the bar in New Hope, MN

Re: You're a Good Christian

Postby Ubi Dubius on Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:16 pm

What was the owners' motive in calling him Jesse? Because they thought that as an atheist he didn't want to be called Jesus? Or because the owners were Christians and didn't think an atheist deserved to be called Jesus? Or something else?
Davros, Attorney and Pieces of Law
Keeping up appearances is a very important activity in religion; in fact, maintaining tattered illusions is its main activity. - Richard Wade, on Friendlyatheist.com
We make an idol of our fear and call it God. -Ingmar Bergman, The Seventh Seal
User avatar
Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!
 
Posts: 5253
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:50 pm
Location: Varrrrrrgggggghhhhhhinia

Re: You're a Good Christian

Postby Scott the Pirate on Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:20 pm

Owners figured that he didnt deserve to be called Jesus because of his lack of belief.
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
:lech:
User avatar
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth
 
Posts: 8370
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 11:32 pm
Location: Either on my bike or at the bar in New Hope, MN

Re: You're a Good Christian

Postby Mad Willyum Bonney on Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:32 pm

Crucify 'im !

No wait .... toss 'im inna water an sea iffin 'ee floats furst .
Remembering St. John
Remembering Auntie DeeDee
Remembering times of innocence
User avatar
Mad Willyum Bonney
Admiral of Incomprehensibility
 
Posts: 3833
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:34 am
Location: Bedlam

Re: You're a Good Christian

Postby daftbeaker on Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:36 pm

But how do you know he's an atheist?
Well, he questioned my irrational beliefs!

I got better :whistle:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
User avatar
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.
 
Posts: 11344
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:11 pm
Location: Surrey, England.

Re: You're a Good Christian

Postby Ubi Dubius on Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:53 pm

Scott the Pirate wrote:Owners figured that he didnt deserve to be called Jesus because of his lack of belief.

BTW, that makes me angry.
Davros, Attorney and Pieces of Law
Keeping up appearances is a very important activity in religion; in fact, maintaining tattered illusions is its main activity. - Richard Wade, on Friendlyatheist.com
We make an idol of our fear and call it God. -Ingmar Bergman, The Seventh Seal
User avatar
Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!
 
Posts: 5253
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:50 pm
Location: Varrrrrrgggggghhhhhhinia

Re: You're a Good Christian

Postby PKMKII on Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:20 pm

Ubi Dubius wrote:Interesting thought that hadn't occurred to me before. Do we know anybody named Christian or Jesus who is not a Christian? Or a Mohammad who is not a Moslem?


No, but every woman named "Chastity" I've ever known has been a huuuge slut.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
User avatar
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent
 
Posts: 10837
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:13 pm
Location: Where the Sun don't shine

Re: You're a Good Christian

Postby Scott the Pirate on Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:19 pm

daftbeaker wrote:But how do you know he's an atheist?



Maybe 'cause he told me?
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
:lech:
User avatar
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth
 
Posts: 8370
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 11:32 pm
Location: Either on my bike or at the bar in New Hope, MN

Re: You're a Good Christian

Postby daftbeaker on Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:26 pm

If I were to ask you to build a bridge out of him would you get the Python reference?
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
User avatar
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.
 
Posts: 11344
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:11 pm
Location: Surrey, England.

Re: You're a Good Christian

Postby bacon on Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:31 pm

i would :lol:
Get your bake on. Image

TwistedSister wrote:You can't go wrong with a side of Bacon on your side.........
User avatar
bacon
Everything's Better With Bacon
 
Posts: 5509
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:42 pm
Location: in the frying pan

Re: You're a Good Christian

Postby Ubi Dubius on Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:34 pm

Scott the Pirate wrote:
daftbeaker wrote:But how do you know he's an atheist?



Maybe 'cause he told me?


Yes, but atheists have no morals. So, they lie. So, when somebody tells you he is an atheist, you shouldn't believe him. QED.
Davros, Attorney and Pieces of Law
Keeping up appearances is a very important activity in religion; in fact, maintaining tattered illusions is its main activity. - Richard Wade, on Friendlyatheist.com
We make an idol of our fear and call it God. -Ingmar Bergman, The Seventh Seal
User avatar
Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!
 
Posts: 5253
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:50 pm
Location: Varrrrrrgggggghhhhhhinia

Re: You're a Good Christian

Postby PKMKII on Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:13 pm

Ubi Dubius wrote:Yes, but atheists have no morals. So, they lie. So, when somebody tells you he is an atheist, you shouldn't believe him. QED.


So the people that claim they're good christians are, in fact, the atheists?
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
User avatar
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent
 
Posts: 10837
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:13 pm
Location: Where the Sun don't shine

Re: You're a Good Christian

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:05 am

Ubi Dubius wrote:Her: "You're an atheist? But you're a better Christian than most Christians I know!"
Me: "No, I'm not! I might be more caring or more moral, but I am definitely not a better Christian."
Her: "Moral, Christian, that's the same thing!"


interesting that I interpret this quote differently from most of you guys... Naturally I don't know the whole story, so I may be completely off base in this case, but anyway:

Her point could be that being a good Christian means being moral. Which, means that being a moral, good person, makes you a good Christian, regardless of what you believe.

It seems to me that this person, when comparing someone who believes in the bible mostly literally, and a person who is a complete atheist, but where both people are both very kind, caring, moral, non-idiotic people, she would say that they're both good Christians.

Example: so you have no formal training, but you do medical stuff, help someones broken leg or something, and do a good job of it. Someone says "Man, you're such a great doctor" and you say "Well, I have no Ph.D, I'm really not a doctor", "But your'e a better doctor than most doctors I know!"

I hope that makes enough sense.
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:


Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
User avatar
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty
 
Posts: 14353
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:38 pm
Location: Northern Virginia

Re: You're a Good Christian

Postby Ubi Dubius on Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:15 am

Qwertyuiopasd wrote:
Ubi Dubius wrote:Her: "You're an atheist? But you're a better Christian than most Christians I know!"
Me: "No, I'm not! I might be more caring or more moral, but I am definitely not a better Christian."
Her: "Moral, Christian, that's the same thing!"


interesting that I interpret this quote differently from most of you guys... Naturally I don't know the whole story, so I may be completely off base in this case, but anyway:

Her point could be that being a good Christian means being moral. Which, means that being a moral, good person, makes you a good Christian, regardless of what you believe.

It seems to me that this person, when comparing someone who believes in the bible mostly literally, and a person who is a complete atheist, but where both people are both very kind, caring, moral, non-idiotic people, she would say that they're both good Christians.

Example: so you have no formal training, but you do medical stuff, help someones broken leg or something, and do a good job of it. Someone says "Man, you're such a great doctor" and you say "Well, I have no Ph.D, I'm really not a doctor", "But your'e a better doctor than most doctors I know!"

I hope that makes enough sense.


That's exactly what she meant. Your example would capture how I feel about it better if the Someone says "Man, you're a great homeopath" and I say "Well, I'm not a homeopath, I'm an EMT", "But you're a better healer than most homeopaths I know!"
Davros, Attorney and Pieces of Law
Keeping up appearances is a very important activity in religion; in fact, maintaining tattered illusions is its main activity. - Richard Wade, on Friendlyatheist.com
We make an idol of our fear and call it God. -Ingmar Bergman, The Seventh Seal
User avatar
Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!
 
Posts: 5253
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:50 pm
Location: Varrrrrrgggggghhhhhhinia

PreviousNext

Return to All Things FSM

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 4 guests