You're a Good Christian

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

You're a Good Christian

Postby Ubi Dubius on Thu May 21, 2009 2:37 pm

A conversation I had today.

Her: "Why don't you run for office?"
Me: Several reasons, including, "More than 50% of Virginian's would not vote for an atheist."
Her: "You're an atheist? But you're a better Christian than most Christians I know!"
Me: "No, I'm not! I might be more caring or more moral, but I am definitely not a better Christian."
Her: "Moral, Christian, that's the same thing!"

Thoughts?
Davros, Attorney and Pieces of Law
Keeping up appearances is a very important activity in religion; in fact, maintaining tattered illusions is its main activity. - Richard Wade, on Friendlyatheist.com
We make an idol of our fear and call it God. -Ingmar Bergman, The Seventh Seal
Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!

Re: You're a Good Christian

Postby Scott the Pirate on Thu May 21, 2009 3:01 pm

Here's a thought:

Mass murder of men involved in inter-faith relationships:
Numbers 25:1-9:

"And Israel abode in Shittim, and the people began to commit whoredom with the daughters of Moab. And they called the people unto the sacrifices of their gods: and the people did eat, and bowed down to their gods...And the LORD said unto Moses, Take all the heads of the people, and hang them up before the LORD against the sun...And, behold, one of the children of Israel came and brought unto his brethren a Midianitish woman in the sight of Moses, and in the sight of all the congregation...And when Phinehas...saw it, he rose up...and took a javelin in his hand...and thrust both of them through...So the plague was stayed from the children of Israel. And those that died in the plague were twenty and four thousand."
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
:lech:
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby daftbeaker on Thu May 21, 2009 4:52 pm

Ubi Dubius wrote:A conversation I had today.

Me: Several reasons, including, "More than 50% of Virginian's would not vote for an atheist."
Her: "You're an atheist? But you're a better Christian than most Christians I know!"
Me: "No, I'm not! I might be more caring or more moral, but I am definitely not a better Christian."

Thoughts?

Is this one of those people that needs the ten commandments to stop them going out and shooting people?

:stupid:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby Scott the Pirate on Thu May 21, 2009 5:10 pm

Morality does not come from a book no matter how old or accepted that book may be.
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Thu May 21, 2009 8:48 pm

Ubi Dubius wrote: "Moral, Christian, that's the same thing!"

To someone who identifies him/herself as a Christian, yes. To someone who can look dispassionately at the reality of what Christianity is and does, and has been and has done, no.
Scott the Pirate wrote:And Israel abode in Shittim, and the people began to commit whoredom with the daughters of Moab.

Shittim? Seriously?

I don't suppose you'd have the phone number of any of Moab's daughters... :lech:
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby PKMKII on Fri May 22, 2009 12:01 am

I've had this kind of conversation before. Just invoke some morally heinous crimes committed by Christians, wait for the inevitable No True Scotsman fallacy to come spewing out of their mouth, and then take them to the mat with "you could do that with any group."
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby Scott the Pirate on Fri May 22, 2009 1:33 pm

Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby Roy Hunter on Fri May 22, 2009 2:14 pm

PKMKII wrote:I've had this kind of conversation before. Just invoke some morally heinous crimes committed by Christians, wait for the inevitable No True Scotsman fallacy to come spewing out of their mouth, and then take them to the mat with "you could do that with any group."
What do you mean, not a true Scotsman?

http;//www.roy-hunter.com/images/lift_up_kilt/look_at_my_penis.jpg

Damn, image tags still not working.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Fri May 22, 2009 9:43 pm

Roy Hunter wrote:
PKMKII wrote:I've had this kind of conversation before. Just invoke some morally heinous crimes committed by Christians, wait for the inevitable No True Scotsman fallacy to come spewing out of their mouth, and then take them to the mat with "you could do that with any group."
What do you mean, not a true Scotsman?

http;//www.roy-hunter.com/images/lift_up_kilt/look_at_my_penis.jpg

Damn, image tags still not working.

:haha: :worship: :haha: :worship:
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby vikinglordSF on Sat May 23, 2009 3:44 pm

no ignorance and moral are not the same thing at all.
"knowledge speaks but wisdom listens"-Hendrix
vikinglordSF
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby Clifford on Sun May 24, 2009 4:44 am

Scott the Pirate wrote:Morality does not come from a book no matter how old or accepted that book may be.

Moral doesn't come from belief for that matter either. So she thinks you must be religious to have morals? That just makes me feel ill.
Clifford

By the power invested in me by tabloid-reading imbeciles, I name you a pedo-dog!

The Pedo-Finder General

RAmen
Clifford
Brewmeister

Postby nofate on Sat May 30, 2009 9:39 pm

While most Christians (and other deity whorshippers) have good morals, a "moral" person does not need to be religious. I told my Christian wife that she can logically claim to be "holier than thou" because I have no claims to any holiness. Yet she considers me to be a moral person. The Holy have no exclusive claim to morality.
nofate
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Scott the Pirate on Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:55 pm

I had the (somewhat dubious) honor of taking a class from Dr. James Fetzer, during which he exposed the unsuspecting children to the idea that we a re morally entitled to a belief only if we are logically entitled to it as well.

http://religionandmorality.net/hescr/NYSfetzer.html
http://www.opencourtbooks.com/books_n/render_unto.htm
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby Vezon on Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:24 am

Ubi Dubius wrote:A conversation I had today.

Thoughts?

I would say that makes you a good person. If you're Christian that would make you a good person as well a good Christian but since your not a Christian, you couldn't possibly be a good one. :mob:
There's nothing to fear but spam itself.
Vezon
Conchigliette Convert

Postby bacon on Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:29 am

unless ubi's name is christian - in which case, you could be a good christian then

edited because i can't spell
Get your bake on. Image

TwistedSister wrote:You can't go wrong with a side of Bacon on your side.........
bacon
Everything's Better With Bacon

Next

Return to All Things FSM