Ordained in the Church

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Ordained in the Church

Postby Nastyogre on Tue May 12, 2009 9:54 am

Is there any process for becoming ordained in the Church?
Reason for my question: I live in Iowa in the United States. Recently, our state Supreme Court legalized gay marriage. There is an uproar about it among religious fundamentalists. I would like to become ordained and perform marriages for couples of any gender mix. This would allow people to be married in a "Church" and would help make my point that gay marriage does not end the world. (You really should ready what some people have written)

Anyway I've poked around. I haven't seen anything that shows what it would take to become ordained in our Church.
If there isn't anything special that's fine, I can answer the questions and apply for the license without too much trouble.

Thanks

John
Nastyogre
Conchigliette Convert

Re: Ordained in the Church

Postby Scott the Pirate on Thu May 14, 2009 3:40 pm

Up here in MN, you need to get ordained by a "church" and then go to the county courthouse and pay your registration fee. Mine was $50 in Itasca county. Oh, and you can check out the universal life church for ordination materials and credentials at http://www.ulc.net/
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
:lech:
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby Scott the Pirate on Thu May 14, 2009 3:46 pm

Also, i just looked up the county requirements here in St Louis county. No fee at all, just mail a copy of your credentials to the county recorders ofice and you're in!
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Thu May 14, 2009 8:14 pm

Scott's ordained??? :shocked:
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby PantyGnawer on Thu May 14, 2009 8:47 pm

Nastyogre wrote:Is there any process for becoming ordained in the Church?
Reason for my question: I live in Iowa in the United States. Recently, our state Supreme Court legalized gay marriage. There is an uproar about it among religious fundamentalists. I would like to become ordained and perform marriages for couples of any gender mix. This would allow people to be married in a "Church" and would help make my point that gay marriage does not end the world. (You really should ready what some people have written)

Anyway I've poked around. I haven't seen anything that shows what it would take to become ordained in our Church.
If there isn't anything special that's fine, I can answer the questions and apply for the license without too much trouble.

Thanks

John

I am dealing with this same issue in preparation for my own marriage. We have no pastafarian ministers.

Here in NC you can only be married by a magistrate (there in the fricking jail) or by an ordained minister. We don't want a religious ceremony so we don't want a real minister to marry us. We are having one of my good friends perform the ceremony. Therefore we have to get him ordained online. NC asks for no credentials of how the minister became ordained but does ask at what church they are a minister.

Universal Life Church is the most popular for quick ordination, but here in NC there is a legal precedent regarding them. Our supreme court revoked a marriage performed by a ULC officiant in the 80's. So I've been told that any other online service besides ULC is safe for us to use.
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

Postby fueledbycoffee on Thu May 14, 2009 11:51 pm

I was under the impression that half the people on here were fellow Ordained Ministers. Cheers, Brother Scott.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Scott the Pirate on Fri May 15, 2009 2:33 pm

Well i guess that we'll see if they accept it next week!

:smile:
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Return to All Things FSM