Questions for Atheists

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Re: Questions for Atheists

Postby PKMKII on Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:43 am

Tigger_the_Wing wrote:That is why I believe that the Roman Catholic Church must be the One Body of Christ; I, personally, like to regard all the others as limbs - related to the body, but further from the heart! :wink:

What about the orthodoxies? Yeah, there's fewer members of them, but they have just as much claim to the continuing of the organization of Christianity that existed before the schism, as the catholic church does. (and, for that matter, would the Nestorians, if that branch existed at any meaningful level anymore).
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby Tigger_the_Wing on Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:18 am

Yes, I know. That is why I provided the link rather than just spouting figures. My brother's family are Greek Orthodox.

I was writing ironically in the vein of evangelicals. :haha: Hence the wink! :wink:

It is immensely silly for ANY Christian to claim to be a True Christian™ based on the sect of which they are a member and to denigrate any other who belongs to a different group.

The further away from the founding of Christianity we get the further away we are from any possible definitive answer to the questions raised about it.

Scientists are often accused by evangelicals of being 'failures' because scientists are willing to change the scientific orthodoxy completely based on new evidence; and yet evangelicals accuse the Catholic Church of failure because it hasn't changed its orthodoxy much in over two thousand years. I think this smacks of hypocrisy.

What makes evangelicals so certain that what they 'know' is correct, when they change their beliefs more often than the Catholics, but less often than scientists? When they change their beliefs because the Church disagrees with what they want to be allowed to do, but refuse to accept the evidence of science if that interferes with their control of their congregations?

They take the book written and compiled by the Catholic Church and use it to berate both the Church and the scientists. THAT is why I have little patience with what they say. As a Catholic, who was trained as a Catechist, I freely admit my doubt on all sorts of levels. I feel it is extreme hubris to be certain in my mind about anything regarding Christianity. At the base of the religion is a man who was upset by the way the Jewish religion had degenerated (in His opinion) over the centuries and wished to put the people back on the right track to civilisation. Being kind to one-another, including people of different sexes/ages/classes/tribes/families/races. Keeping the spirit of the law instead of just the letter. Basically, trying to do no harm either in action or by inaction. What is so hard about that? Just that people always want to have everything spelled out in detail… Ask any lawyer! :bummer:
Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

Postby MaltaPastafarian on Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:20 am

Moe Sunkist wrote:And dont get me wrong, i will not be tolerant of anyone other than those with a relationship with Christ, but i respect them and love them with all of my heart. Even, especially, those who haev such a hatred of Jesus and God.

I don't think you'll actually find a lot of people who "hate Jesus". Atheists don't believe in him (or his divinity), and one cannot hate a God one believes does not even exist. As for other religions, they either believe he did not exist or that he was just a prophet. Nothing to hate about that. The people who say they hate Jesus are just being silly or are attention-seekers.
MaltaPastafarian
Ziti Zealot

Previous

Return to All Things FSM