FSM vs "Other Gods"

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

FSM vs "Other Gods"

Postby F-S-M-IS-MY-G-O-D on Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:35 pm

Well I am a bit bored and thought I'd write a critique about the FSM in comparison to other "Gods". Maybe someone has done this, or maybe not. Can't say I have had the time to be here much. Quite honestly (Hides) this first time I have probably logged in within about 1.5 to 2 yrs (busy). Still, here's a good topic.

FSM

- Noodly Appendages
- Can Fly / Levitate
- Thrives off pirates
- All knowing
- Gives Pasta to the needy
- Immortal and loving for eons

Jesus

- "Walked on water" (Pond probably)
- All knowing (Hardly but another argument)
- Is a Mere Mortal. He was able to be killed by humans

Buddhism

-Lots of Deities. Got to remember who to "Pray to". Not good if you are bad with names / faces.
- Mostly Peaceful

Anyone got more to add? So far the FSM beats "Super Jesus" and Buddism. Pastafarian for the win!
F-S-M-IS-MY-G-O-D
Ziti Zealot

Re: FSM vs "Other Gods"

Postby Cardinal Fang on Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:23 pm

F-S-M-IS-MY-G-O-D wrote:Buddhism

-Lots of Deities. Got to remember who to "Pray to". Not good if you are bad with names / faces.
- Mostly Peaceful

Well technically...

Buddhism doesn't have a God as such. The Buddha is not considered a deity, but rather an enlightened being who has atained Nivanah, or the state of being free from both suffering and the cycle of rebirth. Buddhist pray to the Buddha, but this is for guidance and enlightenment.

I suspect the Eastern religion you're thinking of is Hinduism. Hindus believe that there is a single God (Ishvara) who cannot be defined. As such, various representations of the divine person are represented in concrete form and these are the Hindu gods that people are familiar with - e.g. Vishnu, Ganesh, Krishna, Rama, Shiva etc. Which ones people worship depends on things like individual preference, and regional and family traditions. You don't need to pray to all of them or remember them all - you choose the one right for you.

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".
Cardinal Fang
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby F-S-M-IS-MY-G-O-D on Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:12 pm

Hi Man,

Buddhism has Deities. I am correct.

http://www.khandro.net/deities.htm

Check this out. There is a deity in Buddhism and each one has its own job / function =).
F-S-M-IS-MY-G-O-D
Ziti Zealot

Postby PKMKII on Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:59 am

F-S-M-IS-MY-G-O-D wrote:Hi Man,

Buddhism has Deities. I am correct.

http://www.khandro.net/deities.htm

Check this out. There is a deity in Buddhism and each one has its own job / function =).

Well, yes and no. Yes, there are Buddhists who believe in deities. However, the religion does not necessitate the existence of deities. It's part of the reason it spread so well throughout central and east Asia, it didn't require converts to abandon all aspects of their previous religions.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby Cardinal Fang on Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:21 am

But in Buddhism, deities are specifically not gods - so they cannot be involved in the comparison between the FSM and other Gods.

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".
Cardinal Fang
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby Moe Sunkist on Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:57 am

haha hows this.:

Jesus
Son of God
All knowing
Poured out His blood for you
Died and WAS RESURRECTED(major point)
walked on water -- as in a lake during a storm that had men who grew up around water afraid of the waves (that means it was a big storm) <-- More on this if you want it.
(Tip of the iceburg, but ill save some for later)

FSM
i have no idea, to be honest.

Buddhism
No God
there goal is to reach a place of no suffering, and it is a reliance upon themselves following the eight-fold path

Hinduism
1 mil Gods
pick one that wont eat you on a bad day

Islam
tougher subject, thankfully nothing you guys pick on though

Your Humble Servant Moe
Moe Sunkist
Ziti Zealot

Postby thelastpirate on Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:15 pm

Moe Sunkist wrote:haha hows this.:

Jesus
Son of God
All knowing
Poured out His blood for you
Died and WAS RESURRECTED(major point)
walked on water -- as in a lake during a storm that had men who grew up around water afraid of the waves (that means it was a big storm) <-- More on this if you want it.
(Tip of the iceburg, but ill save some for later)

If there was any evidence for such statements beyond an ancient and very heavily edited book I would be interested to hear it.

As Tigger has pointed out in another thread, it is very difficult to know what Jesus actually said, and more difficult still to know in what context. There is not a single quote from Jesus where he explicitly claims to be God - the idea of the trinity was in dispute until the Nicean council ruled on the matter.

I believe that Jesus lived and was crucified largely as the bible says (and is supported by Tacitus among others). I think he was probably a great moral teacher. I do not think he was one with God, nor do I think that God exists.

FSM
i have no idea, to be honest.

We object to the teaching of intelligent design in state schools as science. If you agree then whatever else you believe in you're welcome. If you dont agree, you're still welcome.

Hinduism
1 mil Gods
pick one that wont eat you on a bad day

Would you mind if I was so disparaging about your religion? I agree that polytheism is a bit difficult to grasp, but so is monotheism.

Islam
tougher subject, thankfully nothing you guys pick on though

I will 'pick on' any argument made on these forums. We rarely get muslims trying to prove their God's existence which is the only reason you wont find many such threads.
thelastpirate
Lord of Linguini

Location: I hope in no place so unsanctified where such as thou mayst find me.

Postby daftbeaker on Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:33 pm

How's this?
Jesus
Man (Probably existed, the rest assumes he did)
Knew quite a bit but nothing particularly special, some interesting ideas on being nice to people for the sake of being nice rather than a reward.
Killed by the Romans.
Died
(Tip of the iceberg, but ill save some for later)

FSM
A religious parody invented to help prevent lunatic, evidence-less creationism being taught as science.

Buddhism
No God
there goal is to reach a place of no suffering, and it is a reliance upon themselves following the eight-fold path

Hinduism
1 mil Gods, all of which are merely aspects of the one supreme god. Sound familiar?
choose one that you identify with and feel will help you, bearing in mind they are merely a part of the greater god.

Islam
similar problems to christianity, the only reliable evidence is that their prophet existed as a man.

I fixed it so it matches the available evidence :wink:
Your Humble Servant dafty
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.

Postby Ubi Dubium on Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:05 pm

Thanks, DaftBeaker, much improved.

And Moe, if you agree science class should be for teaching science and not religion, then you can call yourself a Pastafarian too, and talk like a pirate and everything. But if you are only here to win converts to your religion, be careful. If you hang around here too long, you'll start to acquire some serious pirate rank. And some of the stuff we talk about may rub off on you. We are, for the most part, a dangerously overeducated bunch of scallywags here, (except NefYoo, who's an undereducated scallywag) including scientists and lawyers and other dangerous thinkers. We'll encourage you to question every idea your church tells you not to question.
Open your mind, but not so far your brain falls out

"Hurry up, before we all come to our senses!" - King Julien
Ubi Dubium
Mystic of Meatball

Postby PKMKII on Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:57 am

daftbeaker wrote:Islam
similar problems to christianity, the only reliable evidence is that their prophet existed as a man.

The other difference is that there's a lot fewer layers of interpretation in Islam. The Koran was being written even before Mohammed died, whereas there was a few centuries between the time of Jesus and when they started putting the new testament to paper. That and schwarmas :idiot:
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby MaltaPastafarian on Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:12 am

thelastpirate wrote: Would you mind if I was so disparaging about your religion? I agree that polytheism is a bit difficult to grasp, but so is monotheism.

Especially that "three gods in one" thing. :roll:
MaltaPastafarian
Ziti Zealot

Postby Andrey Kurtenkov on Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:01 pm

Moe Sunkist wrote:Jesus
Poured out His blood for you.
FSM
Poured out His beer for you.
En mateno de hela ero, per la forĉo de espero, venas viglaj pastafaroj, vere fluganta gefratoj.
Ah, vi flugu, Nia Monstro! Vin observas milionoj serĉiantaj vermiĉeloj, per espero kaj per amo.
Kaj la bona pastafaro post la malfermita pordo, trovos la eternan vivon en pastafara paradizo!
Pastafarier aller Länder, vereinigt euch!
Българска пастафарианска църква (Bulgarian Pastafarian Church)
- за прослава на Макаронения Бог :worship: :fsm_float:
Andrey Kurtenkov
Chitarra Captain

Postby pirate Chris on Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:46 pm

I believe that Jesus lived and was crucified largely as the bible says (and is supported by Tacitus among others). I think he was probably a great moral teacher. I do not think he was one with God, nor do I think that God exists.

RAmen!!!! :fsm:
pirate Chris
Conchigliette Convert

Return to All Things FSM