The Hipocracy!

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Re: The Hipocracy!

Postby Ubi Dubium on Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:21 pm

:welcome:
Well, Donny, there are Christians on this board who are also Pastafarians. They do not try to convert us, and are a part of the community. We embrace diversity as well as Pasta.

Then there are the "True Christians (TM)". They will generally have no avatar, or one having nothing to do with pasta, pirates, bunnies, turtles, or anything fun. They come here to preach, or troll, and generally get bored and leave, or become obnoxious and are banned in short order. You'll know them right away.
Open your mind, but not so far your brain falls out

"Hurry up, before we all come to our senses!" - King Julien
Ubi Dubium
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Donny on Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:34 pm

Oh great loads of hot poo, blind obedience is well............................so blind!! Shiver me timbers, brains is where we should be thinking! :nefyoobash:
It's only material existence, don't take it to seriously.
Donny
Conchigliette Convert

Postby PKMKII on Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:43 pm

Ubi Dubium wrote:
PKMKII wrote:.. I'm just pointing out that you can't judge the merits of a religion on the activity of its followers.

Actually, I'd say that the only way to just the merits of a religion is by the activity of its followers. But I don't think you can judge the truth of a religion by those activities.

That would be true if religion existed in a vacuum, where there was only a religion and its followers. But we live in a complex world where all sorts of things mix in with religion: politics (domestic and foreign), culture, money, geography, ethnicity. You can't say that the middle east's turn to a fundamentalist Islam is purely because of Islam, and ignore the rise of europe as an economic and cultural center while at the same time, the middle east's reign of cultural dominance was waning.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby Moe Sunkist on Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:00 pm

Donny wrote:By His noodly appendages! How are we suppose to keep score of who are Christians with out a card? A lot of Moe's argument sounds like it came for The Alpha Course. As far as I could ever tell Christians are a vindictive blood thirsty lot. The religion has been used for controlling the masses (no pun intended) for as long as it has existed. The teachings of Jesus have never been at the forefront of any of its many sects. Money and greed appear to be the driving force that keeps it alive today. That and the great hair that it’s many preachers can affored. ARRRGH!!. :furious:

Hmm, Im not sure what the Alpha course is, so no comment on that.
And am i "True Christian" who came to preach and convert and troll? Cuz to be honest I am getting rather bored of these conversations, mainly in the point that you guys really dont hate Christians and are trying to push for the "banning" of Creationism in schools. Yet you still seem to fight tooth and nail (and quite well, i might add) to prove my sentiments false.

And i agree with PKMKII, i do not know history well enough to disprove that what you have said, and it seems to be true with all the superficial readings i have done to research them, after reading your arguments. I also realize that i cannot convert those who have no real problem with Christianity as long as it isnt forced upon them into accept Christ as the Savior. And with that, i will now stop arguing for the sake of arguing. I wish you all well.

Moe
Moe Sunkist
Ziti Zealot

Postby Tigger_the_Wing on Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:10 pm

Moe Sunkist wrote:
Donny wrote:By His noodly appendages! How are we suppose to keep score of who are Christians with out a card? A lot of Moe's argument sounds like it came for The Alpha Course. As far as I could ever tell Christians are a vindictive blood thirsty lot. The religion has been used for controlling the masses (no pun intended) for as long as it has existed. The teachings of Jesus have never been at the forefront of any of its many sects. Money and greed appear to be the driving force that keeps it alive today. That and the great hair that it’s many preachers can affored. ARRRGH!!. :furious:

Hmm, Im not sure what the Alpha course is, so no comment on that.
And am i "True Christian" who came to preach and convert and troll? Cuz to be honest I am getting rather bored of these conversations, mainly in the point that you guys really dont hate Christians and are trying to push for the "banning" of Creationism in schools. Yet you still seem to fight tooth and nail (and quite well, i might add) to prove my sentiments false.

And i agree with PKMKII, i do not know history well enough to disprove that what you have said, and it seems to be true with all the superficial readings i have done to research them, after reading your arguments. I also realize that i cannot convert those who have no real problem with Christianity as long as it isnt forced upon them into accept Christ as the Savior. And with that, i will now stop arguing for the sake of arguing. I wish you all well.

Moe

Thank you. Cheers! :drinking:

Now, welcome aboard, and I hope you will join in the many silly threads on here! Although this site has its serious purpose, we have a lot of fun too - it gets boring being serious all the time. :haha:

You are exactly the kind of person movements like this need - an open-minded Christian who is secure in their faith so doesn't need to convert others for the sake of their ego or whatever and is willing to respect others' right to hold their own beliefs; has the humility to recognise when they may be mistaken about something and is willing to admit it; on matters of faith are willing to agree to differ; and does not want children to be indoctrinated with religious precepts in science lessons. 8)

I look forward to many more posts from you! :D
Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

Postby Donny on Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:11 pm

Moe, the Alpha Course is taught all over the world. I help teach at the church I use to attened. The web site is http://alphawheeling.com/ for a local to me and http://www.alphausa.org/Group/Group.aspx?ID=1000004068 for the USA. It's a Christianity 101 tyoe thing. Very interesting and good food. :haha:
Donny
Conchigliette Convert

Postby MaltaPastafarian on Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:01 am

Moe Sunkist wrote:Yet you still seem to fight tooth and nail (and quite well, i might add) to prove my sentiments false.

You will find that many members here place a very high value on truth and a very low value on blind faith. If someone makes an extraordinary claim, that person will be asked to give the evidence.
MaltaPastafarian
Ziti Zealot

Postby Scott the Pirate on Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:12 pm

Tigger_the_Wing wrote:And our Pastafarian 'faith' is a joke.

Blasphemer!! Somebody go get some rope! I've got a stake and some firewood! Burn the heretic!

:)
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
:lech:
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby Donny on Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:38 pm

:
Donny
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Donny on Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:40 pm

Ubi Dubium wrote::welcome:
Well, Donny, there are Christians on this board who are also Pastafarians. They do not try to convert us, and are a part of the community. We embrace diversity as well as Pasta.

Then there are the "True Christians (TM)". They will generally have no avatar, or one having nothing to do with pasta, pirates, bunnies, turtles, or anything fun. They come here to preach, or troll, and generally get bored and leave, or become obnoxious and are banned in short order. You'll know them right away.

Don't Christians by their very nature try to convert? That as far as I can tell is a major part of their doctrine. :shrug:
Donny
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Ubi Dubius on Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:43 pm

Donny wrote:
Ubi Dubium wrote::welcome:

Don't Christians by their very nature try to convert? That as far as I can tell is a major part of their doctrine. :shrug:

That is a very common trait in Christians. Some have outgrown it, or limited it a bit. My mother, for example, complained to me about Christians (such as Baptists) trying to convert other Christians (such as Catholics) to their denomination. She thought that they should focus on non-Christians. Of course, she didn't actually try to convert anybody herself. My fundy brother seems to target only Christians because he relies so heavily on the bible (excuse me, Holy Scripture - cue divine music) to convert, that he doesn't know what to do when somebody rejects it (excuse me, It) outright.
Davros, Attorney and Pieces of Law
Keeping up appearances is a very important activity in religion; in fact, maintaining tattered illusions is its main activity. - Richard Wade, on Friendlyatheist.com
We make an idol of our fear and call it God. -Ingmar Bergman, The Seventh Seal
Ubi Dubius
Set bail, me hearties!

Postby Scott the Pirate on Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:09 pm

I regularly try to convert people to our "faith". I have a friend from H.S. who'll need just the tiniest kick over into atheism, and then it's only a short hop over to Pastafarianism! I keep telling her how hot she'd be dressed up as a pirate wench...

:guilty:
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
:lech:
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Previous

Return to All Things FSM