The Hipocracy!

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

The Hipocracy!

Postby Zorak on Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:04 am

What i find most baffling is how all the christians write in thier hate mail how they can identify the unplausabiltiy in a religion which is a parody of thier own but are unable to see the irony of thier hipocracy?

anyone care to clarify?
Zorak
Conchigliette Convert

Re: The Hipocracy!

Postby Ubi Dubium on Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:28 am

Sure. I think they all have their irony-meters confiscated upon joining their churches.
Open your mind, but not so far your brain falls out

"Hurry up, before we all come to our senses!" - King Julien
Ubi Dubium
Mystic of Meatball

Postby PKMKII on Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:14 am

Zorak wrote:What i find most baffling is how all the christians write in thier hate mail how they can identify the unplausabiltiy in a religion which is a parody of thier own but are unable to see the irony of thier hipocracy?

anyone care to clarify?

Well you see, Christians are under the mistaken impression that their views regarding other religions are not a hipocracy, but rather a hiphopcracy, in which they hip hop the hippie the hippie to the hip hip hop, a you dont stop the rock it to the bang bang boogie say up jumped the boogie to the rhythm of the boogie, the beat now what you hear is not a test--i'm rappin to the beat.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby Robbobrob on Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:41 am

Hipocracy sounds like a government run by hippopotamus. I am not for hippos running the government. The cost in furniture for them to sit would run a deficit on its own, not counting the alligator shoes and 3-piece suits made from gorilla that all the fashionable Hippos prefer to wear.
Mad Rob Rackham, Pirate for Humanity.

"God made the Idiot for practice, and then He made the School Board."

- Mark Twain.
Robbobrob
Stele Second Mate

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:35 pm

Robbobrob wrote:Hipocracy sounds like a government run by hippopotamus. I am not for hippos running the government. The cost in furniture for them to sit would run a deficit on its own, not counting the alligator shoes and 3-piece suits made from gorilla that all the fashionable Hippos prefer to wear.

True. Elephublicans and Donkeycrats are bad enough. Imagine if you threw a Hippocrat in there with them - there wouldn't be anything left for lunch for anyone else anywhere.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby Roy Hunter on Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:38 pm

Zorak wrote:...but are unable to see the irony of their hipocracy?
anyone care to clarify?

They take a hipocratic oath not to see it:

"The first rule of The Hipocracy is...
you don't talk about The Hipocracy!"
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby FaithfulPirate42 on Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:27 am

Plus, hippos are amazingly dangerous. I read somewhere that more people are killed by hippos every year than lions, rhinos, elephants, and crocodiles combined! Now, I can't produce any sort of facts to verify that, but I ask you, is that the sort of person/animal/entity we want running our great nation? Vote Zebra! His black and white stripes will unify the nation!
If only Wash were a magical zombie like Jesus. I miss him. Now who will pilot my spaceship?
"Life IS pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something."
Alex Trebek: Oh good. Mr. Connery wants to say something.
Sean Connery: I've thought of some more foreign ladies I snogged.
FaithfulPirate42
Chitarra Captain

Location: Retreating further and further from the real world.

Postby Robbobrob on Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:38 am

FaithfulPirate42 wrote:Vote Zebra! His black and white stripes will unify the nation!

Ah, no, I'm not falling for that again...Zebras always follow the herd...I'm voting Boa from now on. Fiscally conservative, they are, always looking to squeeze a penny for all its worth.
Mad Rob Rackham, Pirate for Humanity.

"God made the Idiot for practice, and then He made the School Board."

- Mark Twain.
Robbobrob
Stele Second Mate

Postby Zorak on Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:39 am

Im glad to see i generated an extremely productive and thoughtful converstation. thanks for the thoughts people.
Zorak
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Scott the Pirate on Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:27 pm

Most xtians are so certain that this is a xtian nation that they are unable and unwilling to see the silliness in their own faith.

For example, i recently found the candles that the church gave us when the brats were baptized (against my will). I was going to throw them away but then realized that with the weather as bad as it's been, some candles might come in handy. My mother (a xtian) was appalled at the idea that i'd burn them just for light in a power outage. This is a woman who likes to have a good laugh at the Wiccans and the new-age hippies because they "have all of those silly rituals", so i said "I thought you didn't like rituals mother." and she got pissed. Here's how the candle thing was supposed to go:

1) Pour magic water on infant and force parents to swear that they'll raise the kid christian.
2) Light special candle to "light the way to the lord".
3) Re-light candle on each anniversary of the water-pouring and tell the kid to continue to apologise for being human until they're ready to marry/have sex.
4) Bring the remains of the candle to the childs wedding ceremony (the other person being pair-bonded will bring theirs, of course) and light the new candle from the water-pouring-candles and then let the water-pouring candles burn out. This of course will bring the child into full adulthood in the eyes of god and join the souls of the bondees together for all time (or at least until they get a divorce).

SIMPLE! And not at all ritualistic......
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
:lech:
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby Tigger_the_Wing on Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:24 pm

I've hung on to all my kids' assorted candles just because they're pretty!
Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:03 pm

Tigger_the_Wing wrote:I've hung on to all my kids' assorted candles just because they're pretty!

The candles or the kids? :haha:
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby Scott the Pirate on Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:20 pm

The kids took the little towels that came with all of the crap that the church gave us after the ceremony. My daughter uses hers as a blanket for her littlest pet shop toys and my son drew an "S" on his and turned it into a replacement cape for Superman.

:)
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
:lech:
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby BarackZero on Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:55 pm

Zorak wrote:What i find most baffling is how all the christians write in thier hate mail how they can identify the unplausabiltiy in a religion which is a parody of thier own but are unable to see the irony of thier hipocracy?

anyone care to clarify?

Zorak, you are a lovely refutation of the claim by atheists to be intellectuals. You can't spell "their," or "hypocrisy," or "implausibility" or even "I" and you speak of irony?

Please quote for me one very prominent Christian, like Billy Graham, or James Dobson, who has said something as hateful and malicious as Richard Dawkins: "Anyone who doesn't believe in evolution is either ignorant, stupid, insane or wicked." Name that person and quote them, with a reference.
BarackZero
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Tigger_the_Wing on Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:42 pm

BarackZero wrote:

anyone care to clarify?

Zorak, you are a lovely refutation of the claim by atheists to be intellectuals. You can't spell "their," or "hypocrisy," or "implausibility" or even "I" and you speak of irony?

Please quote for me one very prominent Christian, like Billy Graham, or James Dobson, who has said something as hateful and malicious as Richard Dawkins: "Anyone who doesn't believe in evolution is either ignorant, stupid, insane or wicked." Name that person and quote them, with a reference.

OK, big guy - so you are SO superior because you aren't dyslexic.

Read the hatemail! It is at least as badly spelled as Zorak's offering (which might, of course have been mis-spelled as an ironic nod to those uninvited emails).

Billy Graham and James Dobson aren't Christians. They are charlatans. They regularly suggest that people who do not follow them will lose their eternal souls to hell - that is far worse than Richard Dawkins' truthful statement. What is hateful or malicious about it? It could also refer to anyone else who refuses to believe obvious facts like a spheroid earth or the equality of all people.

Edited to add:
    From Billy Graham's own site:
    The message that many people heard from the church in the 1950s was filled with images of hell, fire, and damnation. While those are realities for someone not rescued by trusting in Jesus and should not be minimized, “Steps to Peace With God” carries a different emphasis.

(My emphasis) So, he's being hypocritical in giving a different emphasis; because of what? Better public relations? After all, his 'ministry' is a BIG money-spinner - the antithesis of what being a Christian is about.
Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

Next

Return to All Things FSM