Conversion!?!?

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Conversion!?!?

Postby vikinglordSF on Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:46 am

Do you think it Is ok to go out of your way to try to convert people.
Id like to think it is as long as the person is comfortable with you talking to them about it informing the or whatever you want to say.......
"knowledge speaks but wisdom listens"-Hendrix
vikinglordSF
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Re: Conversion!?!?

Postby Ubi Dubium on Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:29 pm

Well - here's what the "Eight I'd Really Rather You Didn'ts" have to say about the matter:
1. I'd really rather you didn't act like a sanctimonious holier-than-thou ass when describing my noodly goodness. If some people don't believe in me, that's okay. Really, I'm not that vain. Besides, this isn't about them so don't change the subject.

and
5. I'd really rather you didn't challenge the bigoted, misogynistic, hateful ideas of others on an empty stomach. Eat, then go after the b******.

So, as long as you stay within those guidelines, I'd say go for it.
Open your mind, but not so far your brain falls out

"Hurry up, before we all come to our senses!" - King Julien
Ubi Dubium
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Scott the Pirate on Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:32 pm

Just don't forget your eyepatch.
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
:lech:
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby Roy Hunter on Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:49 pm

I always remember the 30 day satisfaction-or-your-old-faith-back guarantee, and as Scott says, remember to wear your eyepatch. That way, you're not going to inadvertently convert anyone who is not aware of the less-than-serious nature of this particular faith system.

I would never put car salesman-strength pressure on someone to convert, but I don't hesitate to use raffle ticket salesman-strength pressure on someone. Read the book, know the material, and have fun (seriously, the arguments in the book can get you out of all sorts of trouble - make sure you carry it and wave it around a lot).
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Scott the Pirate on Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:21 pm

Correct. We don't use force to convert. Anyone who's ever read the things i post will tell you that i have little patience for the mormons who lurk outside the transit hubs in pairs, and that i have even less patience for the fundies who travel only in packs. My gf started an argument at a bus stop for me a few months ago when she saw two fundies (verbally) attacking a 13 year-old girl over the cut of her shirts' neckline. She said "Why dont you pick on someone your own age" and then stepped behind me. Gotta love her!

Also, use humor. There are plenty of videos on youtube of Pastafarians dressed in their pirate regalia speaking to crowds. Watch and copy. Feel free to steal whole-heartedly from them if you want. I see that you're 18 and living in NJ. Be careful. I wouldnt recommend "preaching" outside of a church, but if you're going to college or even live near one, suit up and have fun. If you're going to put up any kind of posters or flyers on a campus, make sure to check into the administrations' rules on doing so.

Follow the "8" and have at it! :)
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
:lech:
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Return to All Things FSM