A Sign from FSM

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Re: A Sign from FSM

Postby Ubi Dubium on Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:33 pm

I'm a supertaster, and hot stuff tastes way hotter to me than it does to most people. So I think I had best stay far away from the Burritos of Doom.
Open your mind, but not so far your brain falls out

"Hurry up, before we all come to our senses!" - King Julien
Ubi Dubium
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Roy Hunter on Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:20 pm

Being a Scottish man, I am statistically prone to obesity; coronary heart disease; and cirrhosis of the liver. That's why I don't deep fry anything, I shallow fry low-fat foods in olive oil; I never add salt to ANYTHING (even spaghetti); but unfortunately I still drink like a Scotsman with the head of a rabbit. Well, you can't have everything, I suppose. That's why I need to add flavour to my food using chillis, garlic, ginger, smoked paprika, lemon juice, cumin, freshly ground black pepper, in fact anything that is not salt.

ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:You guys should definitely try the Burritos of Doom.

Come over Friday night. You cook, I'll get the beers in. I'm sure Mrs. H. and Mrs. T. will get along fine while we talk about windows, guitars, and what-have-you. I'm sure you can find it - between Ireland and Scandinavia. Lots of hills.

PKMKII wrote:You know what's really good, if you can get your hands on it? Buffalo Mozzarella. Much better than the regular cow kind

Over here buffalo mozzarella is the regular kind, and the cow's milk kind is the exception (but then we have a big Italian population). I don't know how you get it 'Stateside, but proper buffalo mozzarella here comes in a bag full of water to stop it drying out (I have no idea what the ready-grated stuff you get in pizza shops is made of). When you take it out of the bag, you squeeze the cheese to get the excess water out of it, and then it flakes apart beautifully (and when you squeeze it, it smells amazing). A bit of mozzarella in your tomato sauce really adds something to it. Oh yeah - calories, that's what they're called.

I really like a bit of Parmesan on my spaghetti, but in Europe at least the word 'Parmesan' is only allowed on cheese produced in one region of Italy (much like Champagne in France), so when you see 'Parmesan Reggiano', you know it's the real deal. There are other hard cheeses that are, IMHO, every bit as good as parmesan, but don't come from the right region, so can't use the word Parmesan. Still, watch out for them - they're cheaper...
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:51 pm

Roy Hunter wrote: I'm sure you can find it - between Ireland and Scandinavia. Lots of hills.

Actually, I was there once, in 1986, with Mrs. T. 1.0. Come to think of it, there were lots of hills. Unfortunately, at this point in my slowly deteriorating life, I can barely afford the gas to drive to work, so a voyage to Scotland is a bit out of reach. I imagine it won't be long before we're able to do a full audio/visual get together over the interwebs, though. Just have to work on the food teleporter a bit more...
Roy Hunter wrote:There are other hard cheeses that are, IMHO, every bit as good as parmesan, but don't come from the right region, so can't use the word Parmesan. Still, watch out for them - they're cheaper...

Ever tried Asiago? That stuf'll curl your eyebrows, for sure.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby Scott the Pirate on Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:40 pm

Speaking of cheeses that'll curl your hair, ever tried "blarney castle"? (retches)
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
:lech:
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby earnhart049 on Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:06 pm

My mom deep fries wings then coats them with tiger sauce and bakes them and they turn out great.
earnhart049
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Scott the Pirate on Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:19 pm

that sound like an idea.....i'm thinking "lunch"
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby Valanthe on Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:05 am

earnhart049 wrote:My mom deep fries wings then coats them with tiger sauce and bakes them and they turn out great.

Is "tiger sauce" the actual product name? It sounds intriguing, and I have just the guinea pig...I mean volunteer to try it out.
You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. -Lazarus Long

ImageImage
Here there be dragons
Valanthe
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby earnhart049 on Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:44 pm

That it is, it's relatively spicy and sure to bring heat into your "volunteers" mouth
earnhart049
Conchigliette Convert

Postby PKMKII on Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:59 am

Roy Hunter wrote:I really like a bit of Parmesan on my spaghetti, but in Europe at least the word 'Parmesan' is only allowed on cheese produced in one region of Italy (much like Champagne in France), so when you see 'Parmesan Reggiano', you know it's the real deal. There are other hard cheeses that are, IMHO, every bit as good as parmesan, but don't come from the right region, so can't use the word Parmesan. Still, watch out for them - they're cheaper...

We like to use Locatelli/Pecorino Romano on our sauce (I also live around a lot of Italians).

As far as hot sauce is concerned,
that is some serious hot sauce. It's beyond a mere condiment and into full-blown ingredient territory, an ingredient that if you don't respect it it will kick your ass. If I add more than 2 drops of it to a pot (not a bowl, a pot) of chili, it's too spicy for my girlfriend.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby earnhart049 on Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:29 pm

I love the label. SUDDEN DEATH
earnhart049
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Scott the Pirate on Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:43 pm

The most potent sauce i've ever seen is just called "The Source". I think ebay sells it...
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby Roy Hunter on Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:52 pm

I just like the top bit of the label: "Blair's Sudden Death". Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby PantyGnawer on Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:22 pm

If you are going to post a "Blair's" product why not go for the gold.

This is not even a sauce, but rather pure capsaicin crystals with a scoville rating of 16 million (just for reference jalapenos are less than 8,000 and habaneros are less than 350,000). It sells for $550 for 1 ml.

If you were to drop that bottle on your kitchen floor you would literally need to call a hazmat team to come in to clean it up. Even then, I would find a new place to live just to be safe.
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

Postby Valanthe on Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:17 pm

I'm given to understand you're not supposed to be able to purchase the pure stuff without a license (at least in the States).

The hottest stuff I have inflicted on my bf so far is called Insanity. He says it's the hottest sauce he's ever run across, even more so than the previously top-ranked 100% Pain. I'll have to see if I can locate both tiger sauce and the Sudden Death. Oh, and I love the name.
You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once. -Lazarus Long

ImageImage
Here there be dragons
Valanthe
Tortellini Third Mate

Postby earnhart049 on Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:22 pm

Tiger sauce isn't going to melt your face... it just tastes good with wings.
earnhart049
Conchigliette Convert

PreviousNext

Return to All Things FSM