Pictures and Suggestions Request

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Pictures and Suggestions Request

Postby Yossafarian on Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:43 pm

I am doing a documentary in my film class about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and need some pictures to help me out. I'll admit it's not entirely about the actual religion but more about some urban legend-type monster.

If you would so kindly take some of your own time to help me out, I would greatly appreciate it. What I need is all or any of the following:

•Dramatic (preferably painted) pictures depicting the Flying Spaghetti Monster either showing kindness to his believers or chaos to his enemies. The pictures don't have to show the monster himself, but can also show his effects (e.g. a terrified crowd running away; people somehow or other living in glory).

•Basic information about the FSM that I can include in the documentary. I have way too little time to read all about the religion and its arguments and everything. So, if any of you have any time on your hands, do you think you could briefly point out some main/major points that I should keep in mind or at least mention in the film?

•Sort of in relation to the previous point, I need suggestions as to what to include in the documentary so far as information being related goes. Remember, I'm not doing it %100 on the actual religion you have going here, but rather on whatever makes the audience laugh and at least to alert the audience that there truly does exist a FSM, whether fictional or not.

You might like to know, by the way, that I am a religious, Orthadox Jew who greatly appreciates your religion and I do not in the slightest think that you are mocking any religion but, rather, are trying to speak against close-mindedness that comes with most religions.

Also, in school today someone gave a speech about the FSM (the real thing), and so I got an idea of what it really is.
Yossafarian
Conchigliette Convert

Re: Pictures and Suggestions Request

Postby Tigger_the_Wing on Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:01 pm

Okaaaay...

It seems to me that what you are saying above is:

"Please can you do my school project for me?"

You get the same answer my kids got:

"No."

Don't get me wrong, you get 100% for pure cheek - but you'll get nothing for plagiarism (i.e. passing off the work of others as your own) and you'll fail to learn the lessons from this assignment, which is how to plan, research and execute a project.

If we do as you request, you'll have learnt only ONE thing - how to delegate. Unless you are already the manager of a multinational, I fail to see how that will help you towards your school certificate.
Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

Postby Ubi Dubium on Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:08 am

I agree with Tigger - we won't do the project for you. But I'd be happy to point you to the places where you can quickly get the information for yourself.

Start with Venganza.org. Read the "Open Letter". That will give you the basics about the FSM (pesto be upon him). Then click on the "archives" tab. Prophet Bobby (pesto be upon him too) has kindly categorized the entries by subject. So if you are looking for artwork, or miraculous appearances, you should be able to browse through them pretty quickly.

Then go to Wikipedia, and read the articles on the FSM (pbuh) and The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, especially the "eight I'd really rather you didn'ts"

You want video, go to YouTube.

I feel like a reference librarian now.
Open your mind, but not so far your brain falls out

"Hurry up, before we all come to our senses!" - King Julien
Ubi Dubium
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Roy Hunter on Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:31 am

Ubi Dubium wrote:I feel like a reference librarian now.

Me too, but I couldn't eat a whole one.

I got enough information off Google in about 5 minutes to do a school project. It's a piece of cake (or a bowl of pasta if you prefer).
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:08 am

Roy Hunter wrote:

Are you sure about that?
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby black bart on Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:36 am

Well, er... I've never seen a reference librarian who sits quite like that! I am definitely tempted.

I think she's fallen over with the weight of the latest Harry Potter tome...or one of the shorter Long Winded Tales of the ocean.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Roy Hunter on Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:11 am

black bart wrote:Well, er... I've never seen a reference librarian who sits quite like that!

It's probably the weight of those silicone implants made her fall over, poor lass. She looks a bit dazed because she's bashed her head off that table. Fortunately someone's done their first aid training and has helped her loosen her clothing. That's good health & safety for you...
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby PantyGnawer on Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:11 pm

Roy Hunter wrote:

I'll split one with you.
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

Postby Ubi Dubium on Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:35 pm

PantyGnawer wrote:
Roy Hunter wrote:

I'll split one with you.

Well, OK, but that one's the wrong gender. Reference Librarians come in male too, right?
Open your mind, but not so far your brain falls out

"Hurry up, before we all come to our senses!" - King Julien
Ubi Dubium
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Yossafarian on Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:29 pm

WHAT?! Hold on, hold on! All you guys are judging me COMPLETELY falsely and without knowing what the HELL you're talking about...

This is a fricking movie, ok?! It's a FILM CLASS! How in the world do you expect me to expect you to do it for me? I've already made 2 fantastic films, both of which got nominated to the film awards at the end of the year. I am not the type of person to ask others to do my work for me; in fact, I detest that kind of behavior greatly.

I am asking you, being that you're all supposed to be experts on this subject, to give me tips or maybe, at the VERY least, lead me to a place where I can get pictures that can help me. Don't think I didn't spend at least a few hours already doing just that myself.

I must say, you are all very judgemental and you know how to hurt a guy!
Yossafarian
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Yossafarian on Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:32 pm

Oh, and thank you Ubi very much for the starters, I'll be sure to do just that!
Yossafarian
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Tigger_the_Wing on Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:05 pm

Yossafarian wrote:WHAT?! Hold on, hold on! All you guys are judging me COMPLETELY falsely and without knowing what the HELL you're talking about...

This is a fricking movie, ok?! It's a FILM CLASS! How in the world do you expect me to expect you to do it for me? I've already made 2 fantastic films, both of which got nominated to the film awards at the end of the year. I am not the type of person to ask others to do my work for me; in fact, I detest that kind of behavior greatly.

I am asking you, being that you're all supposed to be experts on this subject, to give me tips or maybe, at the VERY least, lead me to a place where I can get pictures that can help me. Don't think I didn't spend at least a few hours already doing just that myself.

I must say, you are all very judgemental and you know how to hurt a guy!

Perhaps if you re-read what you first posted? There are rules about joining this forum, which you have failed to keep. If you hadn't said that you are too busy to read this site yourself you might not have given the impression you have.

I have way too little time to read all about the religion and its arguments and everything

If you are hurt about us getting the wrong impression of you, ask yourself what you typed to give us that wrong impression. After all, your first post certainly shows you have the wrong impression of us!

If you really did your research for yourself, you'r realise that we are not
supposed to be experts on this subject

but just people from all walks of life that happen to agree that only science, not myths, should be taught in schools in the USA, just as myths are kept out of science everywhere in the free world. FSM is a religion only in the sense that any belief system not backed by any evidence is a religion. It is a parody of Intelligent Design.

The world is already threatened by fundamentalism - let's not give fundamentalism free rein in schools, eh?

(Edited to korrekt speeloing)
Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

Postby Spector567 on Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:45 pm

Ok i completly agree with the rest. Your origenal post provids little to be desired except for a shopping list of things that you want. 90% of witch you will find in a simple google search or the the Official FSM site. You also provide us little background or reason to help you out. From the information avalible it sounds very much like a dinky high school project. However, Now that you've said some more i'm guessing that's not the case. If you walked to me in person or left that response sitting on my desk at work I would probally provide the same response as the people above only with a little more tact or much less depending on my mood.

Now I'm willing to admit you may have been judge falsly. So Please do elaborate on your project, what it is actually about? What are you doing this for? Will we get to see the finished product if we are interested? Is this a dinky 3rd grad project or a university course? Is this an artsy project or a documentary? Also telling us a little about yourself will huminize you to everyone here and possible make them interested in "spending some of there own time to help 'you' out" instead of you spending some of your own time doing a google search. (the first 3 items a google search provide everything you need, as well as the section on the FSM main page under "Materials").

Most people here as well as myself would also be happy to answer any clarifications or questions you have on any of the material.
Spector567
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Return to All Things FSM