Whats it to you?

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Whats it to you?

Postby hunter123 on Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:42 am

i would like to know, sense im new, what does FSMism mean to you all. ive been a pastafarianism for a while and i WAS agnostic. i knew that no one can prove or disprove the existence of a greater being. this greater being, to me, would also be incomprehensible, and wouldnt condemn others. with this is mind is found FSMism. i then thought, why not. so i researched it for a while and began to love it. at first it was a joke, but im actually beginning to really get in to it. i think that no humans know the supreme being of the universe, if there is one. so worshiping jesus, eo me, is the same a worshiping a spaghetti monster. so ill say again WHY NOT do it then. why not get serious with it.

thanks
:fsm: may his noodly appendages touch you today!
In the beginning, a drunk Spaghetti Creature created us!
hunter123
Conchigliette Convert

Re: Whats it to you?

Postby Cardinal Fang on Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:57 am

Silly answer: The Flying Spaghetti Monster is my Noodly lord and master. FSM-ism is the only way to noodly heaven.

Sensible answer: I kinda have similar views to you. I'm agnostic. I think that if there is a divine order to the universe (be it he, she, it or they), who created everything from the largest galaxies to the smallest subatomic particles, then how do you get your head round such a concept. For me religion is metaphor, a way of explaining the funadmentally unexplainable.

As a scientist I believe in the scientific method, and its use to provide natural explanations to natural phenomena. As such, the current trend to replace science and reason with religion and myth is disturbing to me. FSM-ism for me is a useful weapon in the arsenal against this to be used when you're in situations where humour might have a stronger effect than trying to support science with cold hard logic.

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".
Cardinal Fang
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby Spector567 on Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:44 pm

Alot of people do take it seriously and most of those people have never heard of FSM.

If you go by the strait gospel of FSM it basically says. Be a good person, do good to others, don't build monements, build schools instead.
This I did before FSM and will continue to do.
Sadly like most religions, it can also be mis-used.
Spector567
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby Roy Hunter on Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:39 pm

I'm sure I've made this point elsewhere on the forum, but I think that there is a need, a gap in the human psyche, that can be filled by a religion. We feel the need for explanations about 'where do we come from?' and 'what happens when we die?', 'why do seemingly random bad things happen to us?' and 'what is the meaning of life?'. We are not, of course, about to get answers to these questions, so we use religion to fill the gaps. Why else would every culture have a religion?

Science can answer some of our questions, but many are not answered, and others we don't like the answer we're given. Science does not offer us consolation, or love, or any future after our lives end. So if I'm going to go with a religion, I'm going to go with a reasonable, friendly and modern one. FSMism will do (because what kind of idiot believes in an Invisible Pink Unicorn? I mean, du-uh!).
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Scott the Pirate on Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:04 pm

Roy Hunter wrote:We feel the need for explanations about 'where do we come from?' and 'what happens when we die?', 'why do seemingly random bad things happen to us?' and 'what is the meaning of life?'. We are not, of course, about to get answers to these questions, so we use religion to fill the gaps.
(emphasis mine)

42, my friend, 42. :)

For me, i guess that the FSM is a symbol of rational thought, a reminder to keep religion out of science classrooms and of just how absurd religion really is.
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
:lech:
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby famousJohnDoe on Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:40 pm

I don't worship or truly believe, but it's basically the only religion that has made much sense to me. Maybe because it's friendly, but rather uncaring, with a good afterlife. It appeals to my sense of humour too of course.

Uninteligent design fits especially well into how I view the world. It's so very, very unlikely that life can even exist, but neither science or ID can explain it. Science because it requires the unprovable (yet, anyway) multiverses, and ID because it claims that life and it's creator is perfect. Which is total bullshit at it's finest.

But I still find it hard to defend FSM when good, religous people feel that FSM is only about making fun of "real" religion.

Hi by the way, been lurking around for a long while. :fsm:
I will make an avatar as soon as I find one that really portraits who I am as a person, and what values I stand for and believe in. 5 minutes later I will be banned from the forum.
famousJohnDoe
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Edd on Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:09 pm

Unfortunately, there are some who consider themselves Pastafarians and will ridicule other religions. Simply explain that they are not representative of the Church of the FSM, which only ridicules Intelligent Design posing as science.

By the way, welcome, John Doe! (Don’t forget to introduce yourself in the New Convert Thread: viewtopic.php?f=44&t=3677)
"Oook." - The Librarian

Visit the new and improved Agnoistrology.com!
Edd
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Robbobrob on Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:07 pm

Whats it to me?

The Flying Spaghetti Monster is the central point, the focal point, of a grand and glorious political cause that shrouds itself in religious silliness to prove a point.

I love saying RAmen at regular church services (my wife notices when I do this and giggles, I love to make her giggle....but I digest).....love eating pasta, drinking beer, rabble-rousing with me mates, and having a jolly old good time. I'm currently in the process of buying a house, and the first things I plan to do is raise a Pirate Flag on the flag pole and let my neighbors know that a new neighbor is in town.....

Most of all, teachers deserve the right to teach proper scientific prinicples without undue political influence from religious groups....they want in on the scientific debate, come on in, but be ready to prove all points scientifically, or GTFO......I love being part of a serious cause that is not too serious about itself.
Mad Rob Rackham, Pirate for Humanity.

"God made the Idiot for practice, and then He made the School Board."

- Mark Twain.
Robbobrob
Stele Second Mate

Return to All Things FSM