History of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

History of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Postby Tachyx on Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:37 am

Does anyone know where the idea of the Flying Spaghetti Monster originated?

My feeling is that I first heard of it on Beliefnet not later than 2001. Someone tossed out the idea of the flying spaghetti monster as an alternative to god or pink unicorns or something.

I've searched Beliefnet and can't find any of my posts from that era.

Tachyx
Tachyx
Conchigliette Convert
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:18 am

Re: History of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Postby Cardinal Fang on Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:41 am

Although the Flying Spaghetti Monster has been around since before the dawn of time (Him being the creator and all), the current Flying Spaghetti Monster religion as we know it was revealed to our prophet Bobby Henderson around May 2005, about the time he wrote the open letter to the Kansas School Board.

CF
Image
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net


My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".
User avatar
Cardinal Fang
Gramigna Grand Admiral
 
Posts: 924
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:46 pm
Location: A dungeon on Viltvodle VI

Re: History of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Postby Tachyx on Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:08 pm

Yes, I read that, but as I said, my personal history goes back much further than that, and I'm sure the idea is much older than 2005.
Tachyx
Conchigliette Convert
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:18 am

Re: History of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Postby Dan (dat haole dude) on Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:04 pm

Tachyx wrote:Yes, I read that, but as I said, my personal history goes back much further than that, and I'm sure the idea is much older than 2005.


perfect example of temporal-mutability performed by none other than............. :worship: :fsm:
'Oli no au i na pono FSM e
E hau'oli na 'opio o FSM nei
'Oli e! 'Oli e!
Mau ke aloha, no FSM
Dan (dat haole dude)
Mystic of Meatball
 
Posts: 2358
Joined: Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:30 pm
Location: under da wing of koloa nui..

Re: History of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Postby Tachyx on Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:29 am

I can't Google any post with both Tachyx and Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Beliefnet deleted a lot of old threads in 2005, but they wouldn't have been deleted if they were new, made in 2005 or later.

I can only find very few of my posts left on Beliefnet. The majority of my activity was 2001 or earlier. I still have emails from that time pertaining to threads on Beliefnet that no longer exist.

This couldn't have been on another forum.

Tachyx
Tachyx
Conchigliette Convert
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:18 am

Re: History of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Postby Robbobrob on Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:15 pm

And the Legend grows.......
Mad Rob Rackham, Pirate for Humanity.

"God made the Idiot for practice, and then He made the School Board."

- Mark Twain.
User avatar
Robbobrob
Stele Second Mate
 
Posts: 384
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:24 pm
Location: Massachusetts

Re: History of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Postby thelastpirate on Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:55 pm

The FSM has been around at least as long as the earth, but his only prophet did not announce his existence until 2005.
User avatar
thelastpirate
Lord of Linguini
 
Posts: 1254
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:52 pm
Location: I hope in no place so unsanctified where such as thou mayst find me.

Re: History of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:57 pm

sounds like a faith testing issue to me.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
User avatar
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor
 
Posts: 6873
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:01 am
Location: In the woods, watching

Re: History of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Postby Edd on Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:03 am

Tachyx wrote:I can't Google any post with both Tachyx and Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Beliefnet deleted a lot of old threads in 2005, but they wouldn't have been deleted if they were new, made in 2005 or later.

I can only find very few of my posts left on Beliefnet. The majority of my activity was 2001 or earlier. I still have emails from that time pertaining to threads on Beliefnet that no longer exist.

This couldn't have been on another forum.

Tachyx


A friend of mine once told me about the time he walked into a shop in the mall looking for a ceramic armadillo he remembered seeing there with the intention of purchasing it as a gift. He searched the establishment but could not locate the figurine, so he asked an employee for some assistance. She informed him that this particular store carried no armadillos of any kind and never had. He argued with her for a while, insisting that he had seen rows of them for sale just a few weeks prior. My friend left, frustrated and empty-handed but still convinced that he was right and the clerk was wrong. On his way out of the mall he came upon the window display of another shop and, lo and behold!, there were dozens of tiny armadillos staring at him in an area that he didn’t recall even passing through on his previous visit.

Moral of the story: hundreds, thousands, and even occasionally millions of people will conspire to make us believe we are going mad. (And when I say ‘people’ I of course mean our alien zookeepers.)
"Oook." - The Librarian

Visit the new and improved Agnoistrology.com!
User avatar
Edd
Mystic of Meatball
 
Posts: 2505
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:02 pm
Location: Texas

Re: History of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Postby Robbobrob on Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:19 am

Edd wrote:
A friend of mine once told me about the time he walked into a shop in the mall looking for a ceramic armadillo he remembered seeing there with the intention of purchasing it as a gift. He searched the establishment but could not locate the figurine, so he asked an employee for some assistance. She informed him that this particular store carried no armadillos of any kind and never had. He argued with her for a while, insisting that he had seen rows of them for sale just a few weeks prior. My friend left, frustrated and empty-handed but still convinced that he was right and the clerk was wrong. On his way out of the mall he came upon the window display of another shop and, lo and behold!, there were dozens of tiny armadillos staring at him in an area that he didn’t recall even passing through on his previous visit.

Moral of the story: hundreds, thousands, and even occasionally millions of people will conspire to make us believe we are going mad. (And when I say ‘people’ I of course mean our alien zookeepers.)


Unless, the FSM moved the stores as to confuse your friend.....Ah, His Noodly Goodness works in the most drunkenly mysterious ways.

ADDED: your friend should have asked the first shop if it had always been there....that might have cleared up much of the confusion.
Mad Rob Rackham, Pirate for Humanity.

"God made the Idiot for practice, and then He made the School Board."

- Mark Twain.
User avatar
Robbobrob
Stele Second Mate
 
Posts: 384
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:24 pm
Location: Massachusetts

Re: History of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Postby Edd on Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:45 am

Robbobrob wrote:ADDED: your friend should have asked the first shop if it had always been there....that might have cleared up much of the confusion.

You’re right, it might have been one of those ‘Wandering Shops’ (Tabernae Vagrantes)Terry Pratchett mentioned.
"Oook." - The Librarian

Visit the new and improved Agnoistrology.com!
User avatar
Edd
Mystic of Meatball
 
Posts: 2505
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:02 pm
Location: Texas


Return to All Things FSM

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron