Boy Scouts and Religion

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Re: Boy Scouts and Religion

Postby black bart on Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:47 am

No one here from the 6th Neath then? :cry: :cry: :cry:
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby PKMKII on Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:56 pm

I can only speak to my experiences in the US boy scouts, but from what I could tell it boils down to what kind of troop leader you get. Mine never pushed any religious propaganda on us, even though the troop met in a church basement :? . I ended up leaving because the troop leader let the senior members push around the younger members carte blanche. I heard just recently that he got arrest, so I guess my feelings about the man were well-founded.
"How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.'" - Carl Sagan

"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection." - Henri Poincaré
PKMKII
Senior New York Correspondent

Postby Robbobrob on Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:07 am

ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:
Robbobrob wrote:My ex is from Swampscott originally.

what year SHS grad? I got out in 1975. Be funny as hell if I knew her.

Mad Rob Rackham, Pirate for Humanity.

"God made the Idiot for practice, and then He made the School Board."

- Mark Twain.
Robbobrob
Stele Second Mate

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:50 pm

Nice to be young. I have absolutely no contacts from that time period. My youngest sibling graduated in 1981, my oldest neice graaduated in 2004. Everyone else is even further off the chart than them. Oh, well.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby Katimana on Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:45 pm

They changed the oaths etc in New Zealand to read 'My God' from 'God' to be inclusive to all religions. Not that it seems to have worked - numbers still decreasing steadily last I heard.
To err is human. To arr is Pirate.
Katimana
Ziti Zealot

Postby VHSBD on Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:07 am

They started advertising the Scouts on tv here again, don't see why they would unless numbers are down. The Scouts is a dying cause if you ask me. All the cool kids know the Air Force Cadets is the place to be. :wink:
VHSBD
Ziti Zealot

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:13 am

They never let you fly a real plane... I wanted to bomb my school, but they wouldn't let me in if all I wanted to do was that.

My dad was a boy scout, back in the day. I'm not sure if he had that sort of conform or die experience, but I don't know how long he's been an atheist, I guess. I know his parents are Methodist, so I shall ask him later.
A flap of the wings yesterday means big changes tomorrow.
Let's work together to keep the present inevitable.

So yeah, I went and got a blog.
Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby black bart on Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:33 am

ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:Nice to be young. I have absolutely no contacts from that time period. My youngest sibling graduated in 1981, my oldest neice graaduated in 2004. Everyone else is even further off the chart than them. Oh, well.

There, there, I know just how you feel. Baden Powell was my was last surviving contemporary. My British Bulldog days are well and truly over...All I'm fit for now is the battle of the bulge!
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby black bart on Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:35 am

Detective TurtleHolmes wrote:They never let you fly a real plane... I wanted to bomb my school, but they wouldn't let me in if all I wanted to do was that.

How come they let those al-Qaeda guys get away with it then?
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Robbobrob on Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:56 am

black bart wrote:
Detective TurtleHolmes wrote:They never let you fly a real plane... I wanted to bomb my school, but they wouldn't let me in if all I wanted to do was that.

Ah, it's all political, ie who you know. :wink:
Mad Rob Rackham, Pirate for Humanity.

"God made the Idiot for practice, and then He made the School Board."

- Mark Twain.
Robbobrob
Stele Second Mate

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:19 am

As an Eagle Scout, I recommend scouting for the experience and knowledge. But just like real life, there are times you have to grit your teeth and ignore things, whether it be the religious/patriotic messages or the asinine behavior of teenagers.
—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
The poster takes no responsibility for any offense taken where none was meant.
Rev. Rowan Redbeard
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:40 pm

Rev. Rowan Redbeard wrote:As an Eagle Scout, I recommend scouting for the experience and knowledge. But just like real life, there are times you have to grit your teeth and ignore things, whether it be the religious/patriotic messages or the asinine behavior of teenagers.

Shoulda figured you'd made Eagle.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:37 am

I asked my dad how it was back in his day, which was around the same period as most of Your days, and he said that they had to say the scout law, which involved God and Royals, apparently, but the ostracising that happens/ed was never an issue. Apparently there was a quote on the scout wall that involved pledging allegiance to God and the Queen, but it was never really enforced.
My dad wrote:There was basically no trace of religion in the old scout crew, or in the (location) crew, or in the (location) crew, or the (location) crew.

black bart wrote:

Ah, see, they ask nicely. Not like us Westerners, all 'Gimme a plane! NOW! My daddy's a senator, you know.'

Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

Postby black bart on Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:34 am

They made us clear out an old pond for 'The Prince's Trust/Duke of Edinburgh Award. We enjoyed cutting trees down though.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Detective TurtleHolmes on Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:51 am

black bart wrote:They made us clear out an old pond for 'The Prince's Trust/Duke of Edinburgh Award. We enjoyed cutting trees down though.

Would've been more fun with a Harrier Jumpjet, or a helicopter turned upside-down.

Detective TurtleHolmes
Clouseau's Protege

PreviousNext

Return to All Things FSM