Boy Scouts and Religion

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Boy Scouts and Religion

Postby athiestboyscout on Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:35 am

Hey everyone,
I don't know if any of you are familiar with the BSA (Boy Scouts of America) but they are well known for not including many groups such as homosexuals and atheists. As my name suggest I am both a boy scout and a secret atheist. In order to not get kicked out of scouts I must "believe in a higher power." And I do! The Flying Spaghetti Monster. What do you all think? Would that keep me in scouts?
You've filled his house with things of gold
While handing crumbs to the old and poor
And then you preach about being pure
And wonder why we're laughing
In your old way you're trying to find us
But we can't follow what's behind us
Too much blind faith, it will blind us
Though sometimes it's a blessing

But I remember when I still embraced you
A little prayer would ease my mind
'Til I saw that you hide from the misery outside so I left you behind
-Steppenwolf, From Here to There Eventually
athiestboyscout
Ziti Zealot

Re: Boy Scouts and Religion

Postby fueledbycoffee on Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:12 am

No. As a former boy scout, myself, I'd recommend you didn't even bother. I'd also recommend that you distance yourself from those assholes as much as you can. As for "you must believe in a higher power," what they really mean is you must believe in the Abrahamic god.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Roy Hunter on Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:05 am

I seriously doubt you would get away with it. I was a British Scout, and not only did we have to believe in God, we had to be royalists too. I never brought up my non-belief in God (it wasn't quite as atrong as atheism at that point), but I was really ostracised and bullied over my Scottish nationalism. I don't know if Scouting still has that 'conform or die' attitude, but I don't honestly see it changing that much.

The only higher power I acknowledge (other than the FSM, obviously) is The Beatles, although after George Harrison trying to deter an armed burgalar by chanting the Hare Krishna at him, I'm not so sure any more...
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby athiestboyscout on Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:58 pm

fueledbycoffee wrote: I'd also recommend that you distance yourself from those assholes as much as you can. As for "you must believe in a higher power," what they really mean is you must believe in the Abrahamic god.

I think that most scouts aren't supportive of the exclusionary rules. I have been able to convince about 80% of my troop to sing Scouting For All's petition. Also one of the scouts in my group is a Buddhist.

athiestboyscout
Ziti Zealot

Postby fueledbycoffee on Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:07 pm

Things have changed since I was a member, or you have the Hippie Troop. Back then, you could get the shit kicked out of you if you were different in any way. It was like high school, except worse.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby black bart on Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:05 am

Roy Hunter wrote:I seriously doubt you would get away with it. I was a British Scout, and not only did we have to believe in God, we had to be royalists too. I never brought up my non-belief in God (it wasn't quite as atrong as atheism at that point), but I was really ostracised and bullied over my Scottish nationalism. I don't know if Scouting still has that 'conform or die' attitude, but I don't honestly see it changing that much.

The only higher power I acknowledge (other than the FSM, obviously) is The Beatles, although after George Harrison trying to deter an armed burgalar by chanting the Hare Krishna at him, I'm not so sure any more...

Don't talk about British Scouts to me...the flag...the knots...the Youth Hostels...I'm still traumatized after all these years!
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Robbobrob on Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:24 pm

Being an older (as in age, not time on the board) member here, it is amazing to hear how downhill scouting has gone since my day. In my day, we listened to Black Sabbath, Ozzy, Pink Floyd, and Iron Maiden during camping trips, exploded soda bottles with M80s, and many took up smoking or chewing tabacco.

Only once did the scout master ( a fundie christian) ever try to preach to me. Only once in the 10 years I was in scouting.
Mad Rob Rackham, Pirate for Humanity.

"God made the Idiot for practice, and then He made the School Board."

- Mark Twain.
Robbobrob
Stele Second Mate

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:05 pm

Robbobrob wrote:Being an older (as in age, not time on the board) member here, it is amazing to hear how downhill scouting has gone since my day. In my day, we listened to Black Sabbath, Ozzy, Pink Floyd, and Iron Maiden during camping trips, exploded soda bottles with M80s, and many took up smoking or chewing tabacco.

Only once did the scout master ( a fundie christian) ever try to preach to me. Only once in the 10 years I was in scouting.

Troop 55 or 59?
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby athiestboyscout on Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:10 pm

fueledbycoffee wrote:Things have changed since I was a member, or you have the Hippie Troop.

My troop was defiantly more liberal compared to scouting as a whole. I'd always taken that for granted until recently when I moved to Arizona. Since this is a red state and the unofficial state motto is "Bigots and proud of it!" I've noticed that scouts are in general intolerant. This is what led me to make this thread.

Robbobrob wrote: In my day, we listened to Black Sabbath, Ozzy, Pink Floyd, and Iron Maiden during camping trips, exploded soda bottles with M80s, and many took up smoking or chewing tabacco.

Sounds just like my old troop. True scouting isn't dead!

athiestboyscout
Ziti Zealot

Postby black bart on Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:30 am

I was :cry: :cry: :cry: the last of the 6th Neath...a bit like the 7th cavalry at Bighorn, but we were cut down by boredom and an inability to tie knots. At the last it was just me and the Skip left...it was time to lower the flag and give the hut back to the 'women's institute.'
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby thelastpirate on Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:41 am

I was in the 2nd Torwood - the only mention of God was a requirement to attend the armistace service at the local church. It does vary by area.
thelastpirate
Lord of Linguini

Location: I hope in no place so unsanctified where such as thou mayst find me.

Postby Robbobrob on Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:18 pm

ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:Troop 55 or 59?

Troop 23 out of Attleboro....the church was Evangelical, but that never stopped us from holding a few Black Masses and the like.

- Mark Twain.
Robbobrob
Stele Second Mate

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:24 pm

Robbobrob wrote:

Troop 23 out of Attleboro....the church was Evangelical, but that never stopped us from holding a few Black Masses and the like.

Gadzooks! I was initially 55, later asst. scoutmaster for 59, both out of Swampscott. The church was Congregationalist, never really had much to do with the scouts. Did you spend any time at Indian Pond?
-- Philip K Dick

-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
Privvy Counselor

Postby Robbobrob on Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:28 am

ET, the Extra Terrestrial wrote:
Robbobrob wrote:

Gadzooks! I was initially 55, later asst. scoutmaster for 59, both out of Swampscott. The church was Congregationalist, never really had much to do with the scouts. Did you spend any time at Indian Pond?

Never got to Indian Pond, spent a lot of time at Camps Norse and Yagoo, stayed mostly south shore/RI.

My ex is from Swampscott originally.

- Mark Twain.
Robbobrob
Stele Second Mate

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:44 am

Robbobrob wrote:My ex is from Swampscott originally.

what year SHS grad? I got out in 1975. Be funny as hell if I knew her.
-- Philip K Dick

-- Dr. Joy

Privvy Counselor

Next

Return to All Things FSM