Atheist bus ad campaign in UK

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Re: Atheist bus ad campaign in UK

Postby Ursidule on Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:17 pm

You may have seen that a Christian political party in UK has mounted a bus ad. counter-campaign. Note the contestable assertion!
http://www.christianparty.org.uk/cmsparty/

I've complained to the Advertising Standards Authority about the unsubstantiated claim. :pirate_fish:
"Bon-hommy" said Eeyore "A French word meaning bonhomie."
Ursidule
Conchigliette Convert

Postby thelastpirate on Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:59 pm

I didnt realise the SCP were as fundamentalist as they are. Still, at least they have no elected members in any public institution. Lets keep it that way.
thelastpirate
Lord of Linguini

Location: I hope in no place so unsanctified where such as thou mayst find me.

Postby Roy Hunter on Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:05 pm

I read an interview in the newspaper today with a comedian named Tim Vine. He said he saw a church next to a bus stop, and the church had a poster up saying "There's probably no bus."

Well, I liked it.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby black bart on Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:39 pm

Roy Hunter wrote:I read an interview in the newspaper today with a comedian named Tim Vine. He said he saw a church next to a bus stop, and the church had a poster up saying "There's probably no bus."

Well, I liked it.

That's a really good story but I don't believe it really happened. I want proof. :D
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Roy Hunter on Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:58 am

black bart wrote:That's a really good story but I don't believe it really happened. I want proof. :D

If you want proof it was in the newspaper, it was yesterday's Metro. There's probably no copies of yesterday's Metro left any more, so stop worrying and enjoy your life. :wink:
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter

Postby black bart on Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:34 am

There's been so much stuff on UK TV about Darwin lately I've really enjoyed some of the programmes but last night they seemed to be comparing Andrew Marr with monkeys...now that's not fair on the monkeys.

Andrew Marr is 4 Billion years old.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Spector567 on Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:02 am

Doesn't matter what they do really. The point has already succeeded a hundred times more than originally planned.

Every counter add is just another add for the original campaign. It has started the discussion.

The next trick is should the buses keep running, Or should the adds diminish and see how much money people wasted trying to counter it that could have gone to promote more worthy causes? Either way the bus company is gaining some great new revenue. If only the company's in Canada and the U.S. realized that same thing.

I personally think there should be a poster promoting his noodly goodness. Italian places would have a spike in business.
Spector567
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby Ursidule on Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:05 am

Maybe sponsorship could be arranged?

"There definitely is Flying Spaghetti. Now stop worring and enjoy your local Bella Pasta"

May the Sauce be with us all.
"Bon-hommy" said Eeyore "A French word meaning bonhomie."
Ursidule
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Tigger_the_Wing on Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:25 am

Ursidule wrote:Maybe sponsorship could be arranged?

"There definitely is Flying Spaghetti. Now stop worring and enjoy your local Bella Pasta"

May the Sauce be with us all.

I'll back that one!

For starters, I think I'll make some signs for the side of my wheelchair. Anyone like to sponsor me? :D
Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

Postby Bornagain on Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:54 am

Ursidule wrote:You may have seen that a Christian political party in UK has mounted a bus ad. counter-campaign. Note the contestable assertion!
http://www.christianparty.org.uk/cmsparty/

I've complained to the Advertising Standards Authority about the unsubstantiated claim. :pirate_fish:

I complained to the ASA about that ad too - on the grounds that their assertion is unsubstantiated.

Got a reply the other day. Apparently the ASA can't rule on the matter. The Christian Party is a political party :worship: and so can say pretty much what it likes.

:cry:

The reply was a private letter ... they're obviously not making their ruling public (as they did with the Atheist one): I wonder how many people complained to them. I'll bet there were more than for the Atheist ad.
Bornagain
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Roy Hunter on Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:11 am

Bornagain wrote:ot a reply the other day. Apparently the ASA can't rule on the matter. The Christian Party is a political party and so can say pretty much what it likes.

I suppose you just have to bide your time until an election campaign and then beat them to death with the Representation Of The People Act.
Roy Hunter

Postby DaveL on Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:46 am

Slight change of topic, but quite funny none the less.

How about this for a variation of a theme...

Manatee Singles

www.hotdugong.com
DaveL
Site Admin

Postby rog on Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:44 am

FYI, I live in Ottawa (Canada), and the Freethought Association of Canada has been trying to run the same ad campaign on our city buses here. They were initially turned down by city staff. Public transportation is run directly by the municipal government here.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/News/Offic ... story.html

City council reviewed and overturned the decision:

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/News/Counc ... story.html

More articles and editorials on the whole process can be found in this search:

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/search/sea ... st+bus+ads

More grist for the pasta mill.
rog
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Previous

Return to All Things FSM