Atheist bus ad campaign in UK

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Atheist bus ad campaign in UK

Postby Capt_Cud on Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:54 am

I thought this might be of interest to a few folk on here.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7813812.stm

Reading some of the issues folks have had in the states with fundies and the likes, makes me glad I live in a mostly secular society in the UK. I really can’t imagine a campaign like this running in the States.
Capt_Cud
Conchigliette Convert

Re: Atheist bus ad campaign in UK

Postby Tigger_the_Wing on Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:49 am

Very interesting. It sparked quite a discussion on this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=52&t=11207
Tigger_the_Wing
She Who Gets It

Postby Aarr Jimlad on Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:17 pm

Ah, the world is truly going mad. It seems some bod from an organisation called Christian Voice has complained to the Advertising Standards Agency that the ads "break rules on substantiation and truthfulness".

Yer what? You can peddle myths such as god, virgin birth, resurrection (e,g, the posters that say "Jesus Lives"), but just dare to suggest that what they believe in is a load of superstitious bullshit and they demand that the ASA make a judgement as to the existence of god!

To quote from the article -

The ASA code states "marketers must hold documentary evidence to prove all claims". The regulator said it would assess the complaint and decide whether to contact the advertiser.

Again, yer what? You Christian Voice idiots show us the documentary evidence to prove your claims that there is a god, and I dont mean that superstition filled piece of junk you call the bible.

To quote the guy from Christian Voice "There is plenty of evidence for God, from people's personal experience, to the complexity, interdependence, beauty and design of the natural world." Design? Would that be Intelligent Design mate? Don't make us all laugh.

He continues - ""But there is scant evidence on the other side, so I think the advertisers are really going to struggle to show their claim is not an exaggeration or inaccurate, as the ASA code puts it."

So, because we can't prove there is no god we are wrong, but he can't prove there is a god and he is right it would seem.

Thank FSM we know the real truth.

See the full article at http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7818980.stm

RAmen.

8)
Aarr Jimlad
Conchigliette Convert

Postby PirateFishWorshipper on Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:14 pm

Well, that is pretty cool. Of course, I can't imagine people in the US doing this either. :x
There are a lot of judgemental people in the world, and personally I think that those people are absolute scumballs.
PirateFishWorshipper
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Postby Cardinal Fang on Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:59 pm

I saw one of these buses in Oxford at lunch today. Made me chuckle all afternoon.

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".
Cardinal Fang
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby PantyGnawer on Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:14 pm

PirateFishWorshipper wrote:Well, that is pretty cool. Of course, I can't imagine people in the US doing this either. :x

They already did it in DC.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/ja ... n-national

The success of the British campaign has inspired atheists in the US to run their own advertising slogans in Washington DC. The American Humanist Association launched a bus advertising campaign last November with the slogan, "Why believe in a god? Just be good for goodness' sake", appearing on the sides, rear and insides of the city's 230 buses.
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

Postby LetThereBeLight on Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:47 pm

Ah, yes. I think it's a good idea. Also, it's backed by Richard Dawkins - God* I love that man!

Is it just in London and Oxford? It should happen in every part of the UK.

* not to be taken seriously.

:)
LetThereBeLight
Conchigliette Convert

Postby DaveL on Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:56 pm

Dave having visions of a Pastafarian Bus slogan...

There is probably no god, only an edible one. Now stop worrying and enjoy your food. :D
Manatee Singles

www.hotdugong.com
DaveL
Site Admin

Postby Capt_Cud on Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:37 am

LetThereBeLight wrote:Is it just in London and Oxford? It should happen in every part of the UK.

:)

I've seen one in Edinburgh, and i'm sure I read they were in Manchester & Cardiff too.
Capt_Cud
Conchigliette Convert

Postby black bart on Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:43 am

DaveL wrote:Dave having visions of a Pastafarian Bus slogan...

There is probably no god, only an edible one. Now stop worrying and enjoy your food. :D

They are looking for the next slogan...that's not bad.

'And on the seventh day god rested...but don't worry these buses run throughout the week.' :D
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby Roy Hunter on Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:25 am

How long did God work each day though? If he topped out at more than 48 hours for the week, he's going to be in trouble with the Working Time Directive. Somebody tell his line manager.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby Fero on Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:15 pm

Want to hear a funny thing? UAAR (the biggest italian group of Atheists and Agnostics, comprising people like Umberto Eco and Margherita Hack) tried to do the same here in Italy.
Ok, maybe you can't see where the "funny" part begins, so let me explain: Italy. Vatican. Pope.
Can you imagine how it ended? Those ads never made it to the buses. The ad company that should have handled the campaign on the Genoa buses refused to do so since the ads basically would only create "bad" publicity for the company itself. Obviously, in the few days the news got on the papers and TVs there were a lot of complaints from every religious figure in the nation, and from the majority of political leaders too. You know, our Constitution says the we are a secular state. Ahahaha, boy this is one of my favourite jokes!
Fero
Conchigliette Convert

Postby black bart on Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:03 am

That's probably the ONLY downside to living in Italy though...by FSM it's a beautiful country in so many ways. I spent my honeymoon there...have I got good taste or what?

We used to have another Italian as a member a great guy called E.Razer.
The smoke wafted gently in the breeze across the poop deck and all seemed right in the world.
black bart
Resident Weevil

Postby VHSBD on Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:09 am

Good news, everyone! the British advertising authority people have ruled that the ads are ok.

I would get a source but google is acting up atm.
VHSBD
Ziti Zealot

Postby Fero on Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:36 am

black bart wrote:That's probably the ONLY downside to living in Italy though...by FSM it's a beautiful country in so many ways. I spent my honeymoon there...have I got good taste or what?

I wouldn't say that that is the only downside, but I guess it's normal fare... neighbourhood's grass is greener and all that :-)
Anyway trust me, it's a pretty big downside. I dream of having the Pope transferred to Avignone as in the good ole days :-) That, or him starting to pay his taxes.

buuuut as far as honeymoons went, yes, you have had a very good taste ;-)
Fero
Conchigliette Convert

Next

Return to All Things FSM