Response to "Jehova" neighbor

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Response to "Jehova" neighbor

Postby abnjim6 on Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:25 pm

My neighbor is a member of the Jehovah Witnesses' and continues to proselytize her beliefs while attempting to convert me into her religious cult. I have stated to her that I am a member of The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster and a pastarian in good standing, but she continues with her irritating spiels about christianity and her jehovah. What can I do to get this woman off my back without being rude and creating an enemy? Like most christians, she is brainwashed! Science, reason and any other type of belief that conflicts with the "scriptures" is blasphemous / heresy to this woman! To be sure, the woman is frocking mad, and extremely delusional :) What to do?

Thanks for your help.

James :roll:

abnjim6@gmail.com
abnjim6
Conchigliette Convert

Re: Response to "Jehova" neighbor

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:39 pm

Simply state that you have no interest and request that she leave you alone.

I have found that the simplest way is to say "Thank you, but I'm not interested." If the individual in question is one who doesn't like to take no for an answer, you can follow up with "I believe that religion is a personal matter, and I would ask that you respect that."
—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
The poster takes no responsibility for any offense taken where none was meant.
Rev. Rowan Redbeard
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby HisNoodleness on Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:43 pm

One of my former coworkers was a Jehovah's Witness, although I worked months with her before I ever knew. Something came up about birthdays and she said that she didn't celebrate any holidays, but unless someone asked her about, I never really heard about it.

Just tell her that you've heard enough about her religion, and that you're a big boy now and can make up your own mind, say if she can't talk about anything else, you will have no reason to talk to her at all...
HisNoodleness
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Cardinal Fang on Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:24 pm

Alternatively, next time she mentions Jehovah, chuck foam rocks at her a la Monty Python. You could also go with "no-one is to stone anyone..." etc

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".
Cardinal Fang
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby abnjim6 on Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:55 am

Good Day!!
Jehova wrote:

Jim the information I sent is not about my religion, but is instead about history. That site tell of the origin of Christmas, and I thought it informative, that is why I shared it. You have repeatedly told me you are not interest in my religious belief, and I am very hospitable, and considerate of your rights, and would not share my beliefs with someone that is not interested. I respect my Heavenly Father too much to do so. When I found this site I thought how many people are aware of the negative history of the Xmas teaching, so I thought I would share. Christmas being a religious holiday may have lead you to think I was sharing this information from my religious views, but that is not true because Xmas is not based on Bible teachings, and I do not participate in anything that is not taught from the Bible. What I think happened is the site page information did not come through, and you saw my footnote as a note I was sending you. But, that note is at the bottom of all my letters, and is not meant for anyone in particular. Sorry if it bothered you!

Any suggesions, fellow pastaranians? :twisted: :twisted:
abnjim6
Conchigliette Convert

Postby abnjim6 on Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:05 am

Jehova attached the following "scripture" to her message.
:cry:

"The saying goes "a person that stands for nothing,
will fall for anything".
In essence, a person not standing for righteousness
will fall anyway. Jehovah God has the sayings
of everlasting life. Psalms 37:34"
abnjim6
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Nigetron on Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:04 pm

Go to her and say "I do NOT believe in what you are trying to tell me, and i would like you to respect that, I have remained civil up until now but if you continue i will call the police and have you charged for harassment"

this is assuming she goes out of her way to try and convert you
I regret to inform you, but you have just lost THE GAME
Nigetron
Ziti Zealot

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:32 pm

Tell her a little story.
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. If you presist in trying to make him drink, he will eventually become annoyed, and kick you. This will hurt, probably quite a lot, and for quite a while. I prefer not to be kicked by the horse, so if he refuses the drink when I show him the water, I will tell him, "this is where the water is, and if you become thirsty, return here to drink." I will then have done all that is possible for me to do, and will feel no remorse should the horse die of thirst.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby Robbobrob on Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:08 am

If, when I buy a house (hopefully soon), I get a neighbor like that, they will have a hard time with me.

The most important thing to remember in these situations is to keep your sense of humor.....it is not your fault she is misguided and it is not your duty to teach her the errors of her ways....but that should not stop you from enjoying your life and whatever holidays you wis hto celebrate or not.

I do love the talking out of both sides of her mouth she does.....I was not making a religious comment....BUT I do not follow anything not in the Bible.

Does that include in-door plumbing, electricty, and lots of other "luxuries" even the Kings of the Bible did not have?

Wish her a Happy Winter Solstice, the REAL and Scientific Reason for the Season.
Mad Rob Rackham, Pirate for Humanity.

"God made the Idiot for practice, and then He made the School Board."

- Mark Twain.
Robbobrob
Stele Second Mate

Postby Katt on Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:00 pm

I'd be fine with having a neighbour like that unless ,of course, the pointed at me and yelled 'sinner' whenever I left my house. I try to not let other peoples beliefs bother me. It just makes things easier when they complain about the 40 foot FSM light display on your lawn.
Katt
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Elvalia on Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:42 pm

Katt wrote:I'd be fine with having a neighbour like that unless ,of course, the pointed at me and yelled 'sinner' whenever I left my house. I try to not let other peoples beliefs bother me. It just makes things easier when they complain about the 40 foot FSM light display on your lawn.

Now there's an attitude I like!
TwistedSister wrote:El is everyone's buddy. :lurk:
Ubi Dubius wrote:Evilvalia! :shocked:
Elvalia
Rugger Baby Bunny Bumpers

Postby Cheese on Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:48 pm

abnjim6 wrote:To be sure, the woman is frocking mad, and extremely delusional :) What to do?

Tell her you think she is frocking mad, and extremely delusional, however many times needed to get the point accross. IME religious nutters do tend to confuse politeness with respect / interest or acceptance.

Alternatively invite her around to celebrate..........Jehovahs Birthday :o , if you want any help in working out how this should be "appropriately" celebrated let me know :D
their are folk whose job it is to suck the fun out of everything - including FSM - they be called the stick worshippers :worship:
Cheese
Ziti Zealot

Postby PirateFishWorshipper on Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:32 pm

Just be kind, and try to tell her that you aren't interested.
There are a lot of judgemental people in the world, and personally I think that those people are absolute scumballs.
PirateFishWorshipper
Gnocchetti Galley Slave

Return to All Things FSM