Misogyny and hypocrasy in Pastafarians Church

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Re: Misogyny and hypocrasy in Pastafarians Church

Postby Elvalia on Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:31 pm

Uhh.. well, this is rather embarassing, but I've never read the Hitchhiker's guide... I've meant to, but it's my brothers book (I never buy something I can borrow), and I don't see him very much anymore...

So... I'll go with yes? But that's a guess.
TwistedSister wrote:El is everyone's buddy. :lurk:
Ubi Dubius wrote:Evilvalia! :shocked:
Elvalia
Rugger Baby Bunny Bumpers

Postby Rev. Rowan Redbeard on Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:50 pm

http://hitchhikers.wikia.com/wiki/Someb ... blem_field
An S.E.P or 'Somebody Else's Problem field' is a cheap, easy, and staggeringly useful way of safely protecting something from unwanted eyes. It can run almost indefinitely on a flashlight battery, and is able to do so because it utilizes a person's natural tendency to ignore things they don't easily accept, like, for example, aliens at a cricket match. Any object around which an S.E.P is applied will cease to be noticed, because any problems one may have understanding it (and therefore accepting its existence) become Somebody Else's. An object becomes not so much invisible as unnoticed.

An S.E.P can work in much the same way in dangerous or uninhabitable environments. Any problems which may present itself to a person inside an S.E.P will become Somebody Else's.
—Captain the Reverend Lord C.S. Rowan, Lord of Glencoe, Minister of Pastafarianism, Gentleman Pirate

By reading this post, you agree that you are solely responsible for your reaction to it.
The poster takes no responsibility for any offense taken where none was meant.
Rev. Rowan Redbeard
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Elvalia on Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:18 am

You're so nice, RRR. Thanks! :)

That must be exactly how it works, Scott.
Elvalia

Postby Phlebas on Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:06 am

Miss Footscray wrote: disappointing and predictable that all religions, even sensible joke ones like the Pastafarians,

What the hell is she talking about? Joke? Joke? Holy crap this is no joke!! This is serious!!

....... so no smiling.
Wake me at the zenith of the moon.

Phlebas The Phoenician

Ramen
Phlebas
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Scott the Pirate on Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:58 pm

Elvalia, you really should read it if you get a chance. Here's the "intro" from http://www.planetclaire.org/hitchhikers/ :

"Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun.

Orbiting this at a distance of roughly ninety-eight million miles is an utterly insignificant little blue-green planet whose ape-descended life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still think digital watches are a pretty neat idea.

This planet has—or rather had—a problem, which was this: most of the people on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

And so the problem remained; lots of the people were mean, and most of them were miserable, even the ones with digital watches.

Many were increasingly of the opinion that they'd all made a big mistake in coming down from the trees in the first place. And some said that even the trees had been a bad move, and that no one should ever have left the oceans.

And then, one Thursday, nearly two thousand years after one man had been nailed to a tree for saying how great it would be to be nice to people for a change, a girl sitting on her own in a small café in Rickmansworth suddenly realized what it was that had been going wrong all this time, and she finally knew how the world could be made a good and happy place. This time it was right, it would work, and no one would have to get nailed to anything."

:)
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
:lech:
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby Phlebas on Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:49 pm

Love it, love it, love it.

Douglas Adams has ruined cricket for me though. Every time I watch a test I want to take over the world. Still' coming from NZ that's not too much of a problem, our test matches only last 3 days. Maybe Kiwi's suffer from unusually short attention spa........................... Sorry what was I saying. Nevermind.
Wake me at the zenith of the moon.

Phlebas The Phoenician

Ramen
Phlebas
Bucatini Buccanneer

Postby Scott the Pirate on Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:30 pm

Phlebas wrote:Douglas Adams has ruined cricket for me though. Every time I watch a test I want to take over the world.

Don't you mean "build a very, very small bomb that will destroy the universe"? :)
Roy Hunter wrote:Then, when you've got to know them a bit and their defences are down, you go all Scott the Pirate on them...
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby Elvalia on Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:42 pm

Thanks Scott. :) Like I said, I do intend to read it... I might have to get off my arse and actually do it, one of these days, I guess.
Elvalia

Postby Ubi Dubium on Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:02 am

Actually, if you hang around here long enough, we'll probably manage to quote most of it for you, and then you won't need to:

"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it."
Open your mind, but not so far your brain falls out

"Hurry up, before we all come to our senses!" - King Julien
Ubi Dubium
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Scott the Pirate on Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:45 pm

Absolutely. :) how 'bout,

"Disaster Area, a plutonium rock band from the Gagrakacka Mind Zones, are generally held to be not only the loudest rock band in the Galaxy, but in fact the loudest noise of any kind at all. Regular concert goers judge that the best sound balance is usually to be heard from within large concrete bunkers some thirty-seven miles from the stage"
Scott the Pirate
Corrupter of Youth

Postby seabee on Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:03 pm

Miss Footscray wrote:I would love to become a Pastafarian and be an active member, but I am dismayed at the inclusion of a 'stripper club" in Heaven. It's so disappointing and predictable that all religions, even sensible joke ones like the Pastafarians, build misogyny into their structure. I'm sure I'm not the only one severely put off by this. It makes a true joke of the Pastafarian creed of equality and tolerance, and makes any accusations made to other groups hollow. What a shame.

You're looking and searching for a reason to be offended.

To turn a phrase, "when you're a nail, every answer looks like a hammer," and you, my dear, are a nail. You see a misogynistic hammer everywhere you look.

Two words, nail: "Goddess worship."

What now?

Manoverboard wrote::fsm_float: The FSM is clearly a male. I mean, look at his…behavior. He got drunk and then created the universe. He has his biases. But unlike other fake gods, FSM is imperfect. He needs to be slapped around every now and then. So comments like yours are more than welcome. As FSM’s right-hand man, I’ll make sure that he gets his act together. :cry:

If there's anything misogynistic going on here, it's this sentiment. You've never known any ladies who get drunk and creative? Then you, sir, are missing out in life, for such a thing is a thing of wonder and beauty.
Yippee! Yahooey! Yahweh!
seabee
Ziti Zealot

Postby Elvalia on Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:27 pm

seabee wrote:
Manoverboard wrote::fsm_float: The FSM is clearly a male. I mean, look at his…behavior. He got drunk and then created the universe. He has his biases. But unlike other fake gods, FSM is imperfect. He needs to be slapped around every now and then. So comments like yours are more than welcome. As FSM’s right-hand man, I’ll make sure that he gets his act together. :cry:

If there's anything misogynistic going on here, it's this sentiment. You've never known any ladies who get drunk and creative? Then you, sir, are missing out in life, for such a thing is a thing of wonder and beauty.

My bold. That's me. Right there. Hell yes.
Elvalia

Postby seabee on Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:56 pm

Elvalia wrote:My bold. That's me. Right there. Hell yes.

Then, you? I salute you.

Effin A.
Yippee! Yahooey! Yahweh!
seabee
Ziti Zealot

Postby Edd on Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:18 pm

Ubi Dubium wrote:Actually, if you hang around here long enough, we'll probably manage to quote most of it for you, and then you won't need to:

"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it."

I’d like to think that if DNA were still around, he’d get a kick out of a thread like this being turned into a tribute to him and HG2G.

Douglas Adams wrote:
The major problem- one of the major problems, for there are several- one of the many major problems with governing people is that of whom you get to do it; or rather of whom manages to get people to let them do it to them.
To summarize: it is a well-known fact that those people who want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it.
To summarize the summary: anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.
"Oook." - The Librarian

Visit the new and improved Agnoistrology.com!
Edd
Mystic of Meatball

Postby Cardinal Fang on Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:16 pm

I'm surprised yet that no-one has mentioned the Great Green Arkleseizure and the coming of the Great White Hankie...

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".
Cardinal Fang
Gramigna Grand Admiral

PreviousNext

Return to All Things FSM