after reading some comments on religion...

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Re: after reading some comments on religion...

Postby DaveL on Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:26 pm

Cheese wrote:
DaveL wrote:All good fun and your opinions are all welcome. Just remember why we are here, to keep ID out of science class.

Only reacting when ID is at the School Gates is a tactic that ensures it always will be at the School Gate. or inside. Far better to also tackle the problem at source - by killing the Gods....and the best weapon for that be mockery :fsm_yarr: May sound impolite, but IMO not quite so impolite as burning at the stake or beheadings.

Yes, there are plenty of atheist websites that attack religion(s) - go Google 'Infidelguy' or 'Internet Infidels' etc, etc and have at 'em.

Plenty of us agree with you, but why don't we bag religion outright?

Because we will isolate large groups of people who wholeheartedly agree with our stance on ID.

We arn't mocking religion, we are mocking religious charlatanism dressed as science.
Manatee Singles

www.hotdugong.com
DaveL
Site Admin

Postby the shadow on Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:36 pm

Prove there isn't a God???
How 'bout proving there isn't a FSM!!!
the shadow
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Elvalia on Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:49 pm

the shadow wrote:Prove there isn't a God???
How 'bout proving there isn't a FSM!!!

Why would I ever try to do that?
TwistedSister wrote:El is everyone's buddy. :lurk:
Ubi Dubius wrote:Evilvalia! :shocked:
Elvalia
Rugger Baby Bunny Bumpers

Postby elijah on Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:54 pm

There's nothing fundamentally less effective about the FSM parody in terms of its ability to prevent ID in the public schools without its mockery of religions such as Rastafarianism.
elijah
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby thelastpirate on Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:04 pm

elijah wrote:There's nothing fundamentally less effective about the FSM parody in terms of its ability to prevent ID in the public schools without its mockery of religions such as Rastafarianism.

Well... It wouldnt really be a parody then, would it?

Welcome back, by the way.
thelastpirate
Lord of Linguini

Location: I hope in no place so unsanctified where such as thou mayst find me.

Postby DaveL on Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:14 pm

*Lock thread button at the ready*

Welcome back Elijah. Here we go again.
Manatee Singles

www.hotdugong.com
DaveL
Site Admin

Postby elijah on Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:42 pm

Well... It wouldnt really be a parody then, would it?

Only one that supported claims that it did not seek to malign individual religious adherents.
elijah
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby timbits on Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:44 pm

DaveL wrote:Because we will isolate large groups of people who wholeheartedly agree with our stance on ID.

Exsqueeze me . . . . what are you on about lad . . . . Truth is Truth no matter how painful the wake up call. No political or philosophical movement has EVER won the battle by sugar-coating the message with altruistic bullshit.

Christians are deluded . . . they don't get it . . . maybe a few will twig by reading these pages . . . but most will continue to remain in the bent over position in anticipation of 'The Holy Penetration'. Would you want these deluded 'souls' to testify in a court regarding the imposition of "Creationism" on children? This is a battle for intellectual freedom . . . not some circle jerk while you sing 'Kumbaya'.

Lest people think that I am 'anti-christian', I have the same opinion of Jews, Muslims, Jianists, Worshipers of the Sun God Ra, Thorians and Republicans who would like to blow Rush Limbaugh. I exclude Rastafarians from my criticism because they are too stoned to know reality - Jah Mon!
The only difference between a bicycle is an apple because a snake does not have armpits.
timbits
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Elvalia on Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:25 pm

Ayoi... I'm just going to point out that:
timbits wrote:Christians are deluded . . . they don't get it . . .
is wrong. It's a generalisation, and wrong wrong wrong. Sorry timbits...
timbits wrote:Lest people think that I am 'anti-christian', I have the same opinion of Jews, Muslims, Jianists, Worshipers of the Sun God Ra, Thorians and Republicans who would like to blow Rush Limbaugh. I exclude Rastafarians from my criticism because they are too stoned to know reality - Jah Mon!

... You think that an awfully lot of people are deluded then. You can't know that all of those people people are deluded (especially since they aren't all deluded).

Oh, and you're exsqueezed. :wink:
Elvalia

Postby elijah on Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:22 am

Christians are deluded . . . they don't get it . . . most will continue to remain in the bent over position in anticipation of 'The Holy Penetration'. Would you want these deluded 'souls' to testify in a court...? This is a battle for intellectual freedom(?????) . . . not some circle jerk while you sing 'Kumbaya'.
Lest people think that I am 'anti-christian', I have the same opinion of Jews, Muslims, Jianists, Worshipers of the Sun God Ra, Thorians and Republicans who would like to blow Rush Limbaugh. I exclude Rastafarians from my criticism because they are too stoned to know reality - Jah Mon!

Lest anyone actually thought this movement was truly concerned for truth and justice.
elijah
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby timbits on Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:25 am

Elvalia wrote:You can't know that all of those people people are deluded (especially since they aren't all deluded).

Darlin' . . . how about using a wee bit of Cartesian logic here.

A Christian, for example, to be a member of that church, must adhere to the basic tenets of the religion. Therefore the person must accept that Jesus is the son of a god. KAAAAAZZZZZZAAAAANNNNNGGGGGGG!!!!!!

Did you catch it? Since there is no god the person must be deluded to believe that JC was his son.

Put another way, using a simple syllogism:

Any person who believes that one can telepathically communicate with an invisible god is deluded.

Christians pray to an invisible god.

Therefore Christians are deluded.

That same logic applies to all religions. Therefore your statement that I "can't know that all of those people people are deluded" is incorrect.

But thanks for the squeeze :wink:
The only difference between a bicycle is an apple because a snake does not have armpits.
timbits
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Ubi Dubium on Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:54 pm

Timbits -
Just ignore Elijah. He shows up and raves incoherently. I thought he had been banned. There's no use responding to him, because he does not listen. Don't waste your energy.
Open your mind, but not so far your brain falls out

"Hurry up, before we all come to our senses!" - King Julien
Ubi Dubium
Mystic of Meatball

Postby DaveL on Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:24 pm

timbits wrote:
DaveL wrote:Because we will isolate large groups of people who wholeheartedly agree with our stance on ID.

Exsqueeze me . . . . what are you on about lad . . . . Truth is Truth no matter how painful the wake up call. No political or philosophical movement has EVER won the battle by sugar-coating the message with altruistic bullshit.

Hey Tim,

I may even agree (alot) with you matey, but that's not the point of FSM. We can't sink ID if we are viewed as an anti-religious movement - it will isolate us and give ID added weight.

The architects of ID need to know they are a lunatic fringe and do not speak for all Christendom or Science. That's why we are inclusive.

As for Elijah, (and speaking of lunatic fringe) I agree with Ubi. Don't get roped into his circular argument. He craves attention, so don't give it to him. I locked his previous thread. Next it will be his account that gets dealt with.
Manatee Singles

www.hotdugong.com
DaveL
Site Admin

Postby timbits on Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:16 pm

DaveL wrote:The architects of ID need to know they are a lunatic fringe and do not speak for all Christendom or Science. That's why we are inclusive.

Ahoy Matey - your points are well-made and understood. I shall trim the sails of the Brigantine and set out on a different compass bearing from now on. Yaaaaarrrrrrrrr!

While I must continue to believe in the basic point of delusion, I can also apply the same logic in evaluating tactics. No sense in adding fuel to fire of ID.

And thanks Ubi for your comment on Elijah - it confirmed my thought that he was a tad bit "toys in the attic".

Sail On Pirates :fsm_rock:
timbits
Conchigliette Convert

Postby Elvalia on Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:49 pm

timbits wrote:
Elvalia wrote:You can't know that all of those people people are deluded (especially since they aren't all deluded).

Darlin' . . . how about using a wee bit of Cartesian logic here.

A Christian, for example, to be a member of that church, must adhere to the basic tenets of the religion. Therefore the person must accept that Jesus is the son of a god. KAAAAAZZZZZZAAAAANNNNNGGGGGGG!!!!!!

Did you catch it? Since there is no god the person must be deluded to believe that JC was his son.

Put another way, using a simple syllogism:

Any person who believes that one can telepathically communicate with an invisible god is deluded.

Christians pray to an invisible god.

Therefore Christians are deluded.

That same logic applies to all religions. Therefore your statement that I "can't know that all of those people people are deluded" is incorrect.

But thanks for the squeeze :wink:

You prove to me without a doubt that there isn't a god, and I'll concede the point.

Good luck.
Elvalia

PreviousNext

Return to All Things FSM