A Question from a Christian

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

Re: A Question from a Christian

Postby daftbeaker on Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:13 am

Tigger_the_Wing wrote:one of our more respected members is Scott the Pirate

:haha:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
User avatar
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.
 
Posts: 11300
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:11 pm
Location: Surrey, England.

Re: A Question from a Christian

Postby tris on Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 am

KMill wrote:
Julius Aurora wrote:Also, I have read the Bible. I am one of the few atheists that enjoy the bible, because it made me what I am.

I enjoy the bible, too! Not because it made me who I am, but because I love fairy tales :love: The bible is the most famous and widely read fairy tale ever...

I can't say I ENJOY it... it's useful to know about since it has conditioned the last 2000 or so years of our history, it has some wacky yarns in it, but it's so BADLY WRITTEN... so bland... instead of sexing up the miracles and stuff, like in 6:45-52 when Jesus WALKS ON THE WATER. The original text goes:
40So they sat down in groups of hundreds and fifties. 41Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke the loaves. Then he gave them to his disciples to set before the people. He also divided the two fish among them all. 42They all ate and were satisfied, 43and the disciples picked up twelve basketfuls of broken pieces of bread and fish. 44The number of the men who had eaten was five thousand. 45Immediately Jesus made his disciples get into the boat and go on ahead of him to Bethsaida, while he dismissed the crowd. 46After leaving them, he went up on a mountainside to pray. 47When evening came, the boat was in the middle of the lake, and he was alone on land. 48He saw the disciples straining at the oars, because the wind was against them. About the fourth watch of the night he went out to them, walking on the lake. He was about to pass by them, 49but when they saw him walking on the lake, they thought he was a ghost. They cried out, 50because they all saw him and were terrified. Immediately he spoke to them and said, "Take courage! It is I. Don't be afraid." 51Then he climbed into the boat with them, and the wind died down. They were completely amazed, 52for they had not understood about the loaves; their hearts were hardened.
it makes miracles sound boring! COULDNT THEY beef it up with a few adjectives?
What’s this shitty place? I’m off to another Kali Yuga! Brahma
Are we a butterfly’s dream or is the butterfly our dream - and who really gives a toss? Lao Tsu
Quit hassling me, you sicko! Job
What? You gonna waste all of ‘em? Even the falafel sellers? Lot
Ya mean I gotta honour them fuckers that dumped me in the Nile!? Moses
WHERE THE HELL DID I PARK MY DAMN KARMA! ShakeYerMuni Buddha
Don’t step on my blue-suede sandals! Blue blue blue-suede sandals! Ol’ J C
You what Gabe!? Not even a wee sausage after Ramadan? Moham
Oh shit! It’s gonna be one of them bad-vibe incarnations! Dalai L
User avatar
tris
Lord of Linguini
 
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:53 am
Location: the state of confusion

Re: A Question from a Christian

Postby Ubi Dubium on Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:26 am

I much prefer the story as it is told in Lamb. I don't have a copy in front of me, so I'll paraphrase:

"You were walking on the water!"
"Well, yeah."
"But how can you do that?"
"I'd just eaten, and you know you can't go in swimming for 45 minutes after you eat. Honestly, don't any of you guys have mothers?"
Open your mind, but not so far your brain falls out

"Hurry up, before we all come to our senses!" - King Julien
User avatar
Ubi Dubium
Mystic of Meatball
 
Posts: 2563
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:10 pm
Location: This is my brain, and I live in it.

Re: A Question from a Christian

Postby Helene Potier on Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:08 am

The (hopefully) red bits are my answers to his spurious claims.

swickstrum wrote: Just your "sense of humor (or humour, as the British – who, with such an irritating irreverence to real English continue to misspell this word…lol)?” NOT funny. It's called English. ergo, it came from England. the way we spell words is how they should be spelt, the way americans spell things are annoyingly simplifying (such as "plow" instead of "plough"). real english, indeed. no offence to any americans who read this, but just because youre a bigger country doesnt mean your way of saying things trumps ours.

How can Jesus hurt the people who do not believe in Him? Ahem, when he was alive what he meant by "don't kill" was "Don't kill people, unless they are heathens or non-believers." And for crying out loud, there are SO MANY wars that have been fought in the name of religion.

the facts just DO NOT support evolution, and if you really look, with an open mind, you will see that what I say is true. do you mean because everything in the world looks so complicated? Is YOUR mind too closed to contemplate the infinitesimal changes that occurred over so many billions of years? The mind boggles. of course you want the simpler (if far-fetched) idea of creation.

There are really no records of history that go beyond Biblical times, and I kept coming back to that fact. If we have been around for Millions (perhaps Billions) of years, where is the documentation, stone or otherwise? helloooo! it is buried in the earth! millions of years of sedimantary rock piling up has hidden old cave paintings and such. Also you said something about sudden increase of technology since the time Joshua Benjoseph died and was given the title Jesus Christ. It takes a long time to build the foundation, in language and increased cognitive ability. Then we accumulkate knowledge and, like in our own time, inventions are being made every day because of the scientific breakthroughs of the past centuries.

Can there be NO other possibility [than evolution]… really? Since there is no proof, do we have to limit our schools to one possibility; and not let the students decide? We are not saying there are NO other possibilities. we would be ready to throw out our belief that evolution is the answer, were we to come across evidence to the contrary. But does that mean we should believe in something as ludicrous as a sentient being that created us all in His own image and all that? we are choosing to believe the idea that makes most SENSE.

Scientists used to think that the earth was flat. Not true. as far back as ancient times, the most learned people knew that the earth was spherical.

If you would like to read philosophical accounts of God’s existence – read Pascal, Kant, C.S. Lewis, or even Einstein. Einstein was an atheist, contrary to what many people believe. When he called himself a "Deeply religious nonbeliever", he meant religion not in reverence to god, but to existence itself, whose creation he did not, repeat not, attribute to god.

Heck, I will post my picture, my family’s picture, my email, my phone number, my address, and my work address if that’s all you will do - create a funky little website called, “ The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.” duh, of course thats all we'll do. we, as atheists, are not going to condone violence in the name of what we believe.I think the Crusades and the horrible torture of anyone who differs in belief came from RELIGIOUS PEOPLE.


At least he didn’t think we ACTUALLY believe in a flying spaghetti monster.
And Cloister spake: "Lo, I shall lead you to Fuschal, and there we shall open a temple of food, wherein shall be sausages and savoury doughnuts and all manner of bountiful things. Yea, even individual sachets of mustard. And those who serve shall wear hats of great majesty, yea, though they be made of coloured cardboard and have humorous arrows through the top."

Red Dwarf, Series 1, Waiting for God.
User avatar
Helene Potier
Maccheroncelli Missionary
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:07 pm
Location: South Yorkshire, UK

Re: A Question from a Christian

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:14 am

Helene Potier wrote:At least he didn’t think we ACTUALLY believe in a flying spaghetti monster.

?
:oops:
We don't?
:facepalm:
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
User avatar
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor
 
Posts: 6956
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:01 am
Location: In the woods, watching

Re: A Question from a Christian

Postby Charlie on Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:53 am

Ug. Just came here to annoy Julius because he told me not to post here. I am that bored. I could question other people's arguments, but this thread is thirteen pages long and I don't really care, so i'm only going to annoy Julius. Anything I could have said has already been said anyway, because you're all so intelligent and handsome.

Julius Aurora wrote:
Allow me to point something out. There is evidence to suggest that the ancient Greeks had designed and developed primitive steam engines. However, since they probably couldn't find any use for them at the time they were not widely used.



Oh . . my . . . go. . . You're quoting Mr. Price? That's . . . I can't even go into how weird that is. They did have steam engines. They used them as toys. Clap, clap, greekies. We could build trains! No, let's keep watching hot air push this ball round . . . and around . . . and around . . .

Julius Aurora wrote:
You will find that our civilisation has been held back these past 1800 years because anybody intelligent enough to advance society was either burnt, drowned, hung, or just stabbed (I wont name any names here). Can you imagine how advanced we would be if the industrial revolution had happened 1000 years before it did??



You're making assumptions based on your fantasies. No one wants to hear your fantasies. Your fantasies are not fantasies but the dark nightmares of crazed serial-killers.

Julius Aurora wrote:
Ummm let me see here. Ancient philosophers believed that the earth was the center of the universe and everything evolved around it. Something that Christianity took on board might I add. And if you were to do some research you will find that the only 'scientists' that believed the Earth was flat were (now let me get this right) Christian ones (Even the Muslims intellectuals deduced that was stupid). Before your superstition (because that is what it is) came about, there is evidence to suggest that people knew the earth was round (Again i refer to the Greeks, but also the Chinese). Also, drilling into the human skull was done so to release demons and bad spirits. So you will find that again, these weren't scientists, but religious folk with supersticians.



By the way, a bunch of people do still believe the Earth is flat. They're called the Flat Earth Society. When you say ancient, how ancient do you mean? Aristotle was one of the first to provide evidence that the Earth was spherical. So you must mean older than that. And FYI, it was already quite well-known that the Earth was a sphere during the middle ages. It is a misconception that most common people make that those 'stupid christians of the Middle Ages' thought the Earth was flat. About drilling holes into people's skulls, if you're referring to trepanning, that is a medical procedure and there's nothing wrong with it if it's done correctly.

Julius Aurora wrote:
The facts DO support evolution (I say support and not prove, don't think it was an accident). Darwin had great ideas because he showed the world that we aren't here by chance (or because god said so for that matter). And when looking at evolution with an opened mind. . . . they still support evolution.

Also, I have read the Bible. I am one of the few atheists that enjoy the bible, because it made me what I am. If you wish to quote scripture with me, bring it on.


And we come to Mr. Darwin. Haha, i'm still laughing where you said evolution supports evolution. Really? Wow, I never would have guessed. I know it's just vague english, but still . . .lolz. Darwin cautiously avoided talking about religion and science. He never sought to disprove religion, its just what people inferred from his work. And it's easy to infer things. I'm going to take the vague and wimpy stand that I don't know (or care) how i got here, just what am I going to do here.

Have a happy day, peoplez.

And Julius, I'll quote scripture with you: Man shall not live on bread alone. Man, I hate bread. Bread, the bane of existence! Why do you taunt me so!
Charlie
Gnocchetti Galley Slave
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:18 am
Location: Makemake

Re: A Question from a Christian

Postby KMill on Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:12 pm

Charlie wrote:And Julius, I'll quote scripture with you: Man shall not live on bread alone. Man, I hate bread. Bread, the bane of existence! Why do you taunt me so!


Then we'll let you eat cake.

:wink:
Poor Satan. He'll come for my soul, but he'll leave empty handed.
User avatar
KMill
Tortellini Third Mate
 
Posts: 327
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:10 pm

Re: A Question from a Christian

Postby daftbeaker on Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:22 pm

KMill wrote:Then we'll let you eat cake.

:wink:

I'm torn between 'The cake is a lie' and 'Cake or death?'
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
User avatar
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.
 
Posts: 11300
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:11 pm
Location: Surrey, England.

Re: A Question from a Christian

Postby KMill on Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:19 pm

daftbeaker wrote:I'm torn between 'The cake is a lie' and 'Cake or death?'


Cake or death is a lie!
Poor Satan. He'll come for my soul, but he'll leave empty handed.
User avatar
KMill
Tortellini Third Mate
 
Posts: 327
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:10 pm

Re: A Question from a Christian

Postby SomethingClever on Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:17 pm

Ok I read most of the tread only to stop reading when I realized the tread was dying and swickstrum wasn't come back, but I still want to get some stuff off my chest as much came to mind through the lenghty read (skim) through.

swickstrum wrote: The amazing thing to me, a Christian, is that anyone - Christian or non - would dedicate this much time to proving or disproving anything at all. What is leading you to do such? Just your "sense of humor (or humour, as the British – who, with such an irritating irreverence to real English continue to misspell this word…lol)?”


Statements of this sort seem to pop up here at quite often, and even amongst the gibberish of the hate mail section they grab my attention above all else for the irony they present. Its kind of like this... A group of people got together to share and discuss a certain ideology, when a dissenting party came in and said "Hey why waste your time promoting these views", only to go on using his own time to continue discuss the merit of our views vs his own. Ok the irony is painfully obvious and so, it is common for one of our member to come along and point this out saying in his own word "see your error, we feel a need to promote our views were it is call for just as you feel a need to defend your views were it is called for, Duh".
Well I have another way of putting that may be more insightful for those untouched by his noodliness. Do you not gather in your churches and amongst your peers to discuss and refine your views of faith? Well we do same here at our little Church of FSM. I was hoping to get Swickstrum's thought on this as he has put so much of his time in to this thus far.

swickstrum wrote: It seems to me that you are overly concerned with things that do not concern you. Let me ask you a question, please. If you do not care whether or not a person believes in God, and by God, I include the Son, our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, then why do you insist on driving people away from Him?

How can Jesus hurt the people who do not believe in Him? If you do not believe, then do not believe, fine. The problem with all this FSM mess is that you are leading people who may have become good and powerful Christians astray.


God and all his fabricated parts cant directly hurt anyone because they don't exist. However the concept of God has a very real effects on me and society as a whole. A firm belief in things which are inevident, inhibits one's ability to partake in knowledge impartially, inadvertently promoting ignorance and close-mindednes. Thus it is my belief that religion inhibits movement toward a society that values knowledge and rejects ignorance. To put another way, we can clearly see today that all of societies advancements have come from science and secular philosophy, religion is just a third wheel amongst them.

The rest of the OP is just an absurd misrepressentation of science being torn down over and over again. That being the case I wont even address the rest of it, as I hate the strawman above all else. Honestly it doesnt matter if Darwin's theories are hold true or not. The merits of faith and god will remain unchanged just the same.
User avatar
SomethingClever
Ziti Zealot
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:46 pm
Location: Greenville SC

Re: A Question from a Christian

Postby daftbeaker on Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:45 am

KMill wrote:
daftbeaker wrote:I'm torn between 'The cake is a lie' and 'Cake or death?'


Cake or death is a lie!

No it's not, Eddie Izzard said it :moon:
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
User avatar
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.
 
Posts: 11300
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:11 pm
Location: Surrey, England.

Re: A Question from a Christian

Postby KMill on Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:10 am

daftbeaker wrote:No it's not, Eddie Izzard said it :moon:


:lol:

I suspect I won't die due to "not having cake with the vicar"-related illness.
Poor Satan. He'll come for my soul, but he'll leave empty handed.
User avatar
KMill
Tortellini Third Mate
 
Posts: 327
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:10 pm

Re: A Question from a Christian

Postby edpsych42 on Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:15 am

How refreshing to at last find a reasoned discussion.
I do however think that it is based on a false understanding of what CFSM is about - please correct me if I'm wrong.
The church is not trying to disprove anything, in fact it appears to celebrate faith. It does however wish to draw clearly the distinction between faith and science and the only thing it objects to is the attempt to pass faith off as science.
Have I got it right?
ed
edpsych42
Conchigliette Convert
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:55 am

Re: A Question from a Christian

Postby daftbeaker on Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:58 am

edpsych42 wrote:How refreshing to at last find a reasoned discussion.
I do however think that it is based on a false understanding of what CFSM is about - please correct me if I'm wrong.
The church is not trying to disprove anything, in fact it appears to celebrate faith. It does however wish to draw clearly the distinction between faith and science and the only thing it objects to is the attempt to pass faith off as science.
Have I got it right?
ed

Basically, yes. It's not an atheist group (something that needs to be pointed out to every moronic troll that comes past) but a group against having religion taught as science. Science stays in science classes, religion stays in religious classes.

Although the majority of the site is probably atheist or agnostic we have quite a few religious members.
A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything - Friedrich Nietzsche

But why is the rum gone?!
User avatar
daftbeaker
Help! I've fallen and can't get curry.
 
Posts: 11300
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:11 pm
Location: Surrey, England.

Re: A Question from a Christian

Postby TwistedSister on Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:01 am

It's true DB about the religious members, I believe that there also a few who worship Satan. :paranoid:
* If evolution is just a theory, religion is just an opinion.
* You never know when I'll be watching.
User avatar
TwistedSister
Desperate, twisted cookie pusher
 
Posts: 10125
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:27 pm
Location: N.E PA

PreviousNext

Return to All Things FSM

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron