JESUS CAMP - the most disturbing thing I have ever seen

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

JESUS CAMP - the most disturbing thing I have ever seen

Postby Phlebas on Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:03 am

Avast ye skurvy dogs.

I would describe myself as a militant agnostic as in "I can't prove god doesn't exist, but you can't prove he does". Last night I caught a doco on the telly called "Jesus Camp". I was quite possibly the most disturbing thing I have ever seen. I think it's a couple of years old so it may have already been thrashed about in other threads already.

Anyway, it follows a group of evangelical christians attending Jesus Camp where their children are systematically brainwashed. I started out watching the doco to have a bit of a laugh. I really enjoy that smug sense of superiority you get watching grown adults and their imaginery friends. However, as it unfolded a sense of foreboding spread over me especially when they flashed a stat saying 27% of Americans describe themselves as evangelical christians. Does this mean that 27% of Americans would find this type of behaviour perfectly acceptable?

I started getting into Pastafarianism as a bit of a laugh, but with this type of thing going on I think I need to get a bit more serious. In the next couple of weeks I plan to launch the first vessel in the FSM South Pacific Pirate Fleet. I will start by mounting lightening raids on the American mainland and liberating evangelical christian children from their delusional parents.

I'll shown them fear in a handful of dust.
Wake me at the zenith of the moon.

Phlebas The Phoenician

Ramen
Phlebas
Bucatini Buccanneer

Re: JESUS CAMP - the most disturbing thing I have ever seen

Postby fueledbycoffee on Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:11 am

I think the FSM would really rather you didn't.

Not to mention the fundamental flaw in your plan. From the South Pacific, your only really accessible targets are California, Oregon, and Washington, without attacking Canada. Those are three of the coolest states in the U.S. A seafaring fleet would be unable to hit the problem areas, which are the midwest and areas of the southeast.

As for fundies, 27% may consider themselves evangelical, but I'd estimate the really f'd up extremists to be maybe 3% of the total American populace. Hell, I'd estimate lower for the regular evangelicals, maybe 15-20% at most.
Vote Pieces for Pope! She didn't buy me off with the funny hat, I swear!... She made me a cardinal.
fueledbycoffee
Mystic of Meatball

Postby PantyGnawer on Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:18 am

fueledbycoffee wrote:Not to mention the fundamental flaw in your plan. From the South Pacific, your only really accessible targets are California, Oregon, and Washington, without attacking Canada. Those are three of the coolest states in the U.S. A seafaring fleet would be unable to hit the problem areas, which are the midwest and areas of the southeast.

Not the target that I would have chosen to refute first, but there is a deep logic to your refutation of the illogical. For that I give you credit.

But yes, Jesus Camp still gives me nightmares. They are filled with mullets and prayers over AV equipment.
PantyGnawer
Spam Bob Grill Pants

Postby Moral Minority on Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:10 am

Jesus Camp is the scariest movie I have ever seen.
Moral Minority
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby Mac N. Cheez on Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:15 am

i recorded this movie a few months agao and have watched it 3 or 4 times since.

those poor, indoctrinated kids will be f*cked up the rest of their lives solely because of their narrow-minded, weak and pathetic parents. CHILD ABUSE - no other way to describe it.
WWFSMD

Yet she increased her prostitution, remembering the days of her youth when she engaged in prostitution in the land of Egypt. She lusted after their genitals – as large as those of donkeys, and their seminal emission was as strong as that of stallions.
Ezekiel 23:19-20

"emancipate yourself from mental slavery,
none but ourselves can free our minds"
~bob marley~
Mac N. Cheez
Ziti Zealot

Postby Cpt Celle on Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:16 am

There's an Islam school not far from where I live, and I've talked to some kids that attend it. They sound like a looping tape; allah, allah, blah blah... :worship:
Sanity is in numbers.
Cpt Celle
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby Clifford on Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:43 am

The Church of the FSM does not liken to such activities
Clifford

By the power invested in me by tabloid-reading imbeciles, I name you a pedo-dog!

The Pedo-Finder General

RAmen
Clifford
Brewmeister

Postby stott_s on Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:49 am

Yes, that vid is at least 3 years old, I had seen it in another forum quite a while ago. But it's still disturbing.
I excersize regularly, by wading (through red tape), jumping (to conclusions), leaping (through hoops) and running (out of time).
stott_s
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Postby Cardinal Fang on Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:47 am

Maybe we should have an FSM camp. I can think of nothing more fun than a week of running around dressed as a pirate, eating loads of pasta and drinking grog.

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".
Cardinal Fang
Gramigna Grand Admiral

Postby Mad Willyum Bonney on Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:48 am

Sekkon thee moshun !
Remembering St. John
Remembering Auntie DeeDee
Remembering times of innocence
Mad Willyum Bonney
Admiral of Incomprehensibility

Postby Clifford on Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:58 am

I've never heard of anything more ideal. I also second it!
Clifford

By the power invested in me by tabloid-reading imbeciles, I name you a pedo-dog!

The Pedo-Finder General

RAmen
Clifford
Brewmeister

Postby Jhereg on Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:46 pm

FSM camp! The best idea I've heard in hours!!!

Of course, (in response to the first post) the Gospel does promote open mindedness, yes? So shouldn't we set an example by being open-minded to other faiths, however f****d up they really might be? I mean, you can't believe in a religion that preaches open-mindedness, then turn around and blast someone for not believing in the way you believe. Just wondering... And then, even if we're not saving the children (and are they really worth saving, those evangelical children? Aren't they all inbred, anyway?) We at least get to be smug about our own beliefs, because we can't really be proven wrong. Is there anybody who can come up with a logical argument against having an open mind? If there isn't, then we have a winner!
If God is willing to prevent evil, but not able,
Then He is not omnipotent
If He is able, but not willing
Then He is malevolent
If He is both able and willing,
Then whence cometh evil?
If He is neither able nor willing,
Then why call him God?
(\ /)
(o.o)
(> <)
This is Bunny
Bunny, as cute and cuddley as he may appear, is bent on world domination
To achieve this he has decided to start by taking over teh intarweb, a step towards his ultimate goal
To help him complete his quest and therefore ensure bunny domination, copy and paste him into your sig
Jhereg
Maccheroncelli Missionary

Postby Josh M on Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:46 pm

It's so difficult to try and teach dogmatic people to have an open mind. After all, people have been going through 2000 years of brainwashing. It's going to take some time...
Our Pasta, who "Arghh" in heaven, Swallowed be thy shame. Thy Midgit come. Thy Sauce be yum, On top some grated Parmesan. Give us this day our garlic bread. And give us our cutlasses, As we swashbuckle, splice the main-brace and cuss. And lead us into temptation, But deliver us some Pizza. For thine are Meatballs, and the beer, and the strippers, for ever and ever. RAmen.
Josh M
Cannelloni Cannoneer

Postby Moral Minority on Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:38 am

I second the notion of FSM camp!
Moral Minority
Prophet of Pastafarianism

Postby stott_s on Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:39 am

why stop at 2000 years?

And I'd go to an FSM camp! all that grog, and pasta. :shellfish:
I excersize regularly, by wading (through red tape), jumping (to conclusions), leaping (through hoops) and running (out of time).
stott_s
Cavatappi Cabin Boy

Next

Return to All Things FSM