I am back again!

The place for general discussion about the Flying Spaghetti Monster and most things related to Him.

Moderator: All Things Mods

I am back again!

Postby LibraLabRat on Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:35 pm

Hey guys.

I tried teaching science in Oklahoma.

It did NOT go well.

So I have relocated back home to SE Louisiana, and have decided to try a nonprofit business centered around getting people out into the outdoors, and teaching them about botany, biology, ecology, earth and environmental science, etc. I have started a GoFundMe account, but will not post it here just yet. But I will share with you the general gist:

Warning, long post ahead:

I had something of an epiphany today while thinking about this GoFundMe thing. Taking people and teaching them about fishing, camping and the outdoors is a wonderful thing. But it is too limited. Over the last several years, I have been getting steadily more bothered by the fact that we, as Americans, seem to have difficulty with two very simple concepts.

The first is that everyone needs help sometimes. Needing help does not mean you are weak, lazy, stupid, or being punished for something. It is simply one of those things that happens to everyone at one point or another.

The second is that it seems that when people do try to find help, the main hindrance is that people just assume and accept that you can't get something for nothing, and everything has a cost. I reject this idea.

So here is what I have been rolling around in my head. I have a lot of skills, education, and experience. This is not doing me or anyone else any good when it stays locked up in my brain. So what I am proposing (once I have reliable transportation of my own that is utilitarian in nature) is that if someone needs help, and I am able to do it, I will help them. That's it. No expectations of reward, nothing. People need help, so I am going to help people.

I have had quite enough of hearing people talk all day long, sign petitions, etc on social media and feel like they have actually made a real difference. I am going to take a radical approach and actually DO something. Hopefully this will catch on, and people will remember what it is to help each other, just to know that people around them are taken care of.

It does not have to be anything major. If you need your yard mown, I can do that. Need help getting your child signed up for college? I am your guy. Need tutoring in science, literature, history? YO. Do you need a ride to the store, hospital, Planned Parenthood, the bookstore, etc?

Long story short, I am saying that for years I have wanted to just be able to get out there and do something to right the wrongs I see around me. If this fails, at least I have tried to do something.

Feel free to share this if you agree with me. If you want to get real crazy, start helping people yourself!
http://www.gofundme.com/bomn14
'There are no atheists in foxholes' isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes."
-James Morrow
LibraLabRat
Humble Hermit

Re: I am back again!

Postby ET, the Extra Terrestrial on Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:22 am

Welcome back, LLR. Good to know you're still around.
"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
("Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.")
-- Friedrich Schiller (1759–1805)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
-- Philip K Dick

OK, now let's look at four dimensions on the blackboard.
-- Dr. Joy

English isn't much of a language for swearing. When I studied Ancient Greek I was delighted to discover a single word - Rhaphanidosthai - which translates roughly as "Be thou thrust up the fundament with a radish for adultery."
ET, the Extra Terrestrial
Privvy Counselor

Postby DavidH on Sat Jul 19, 2014 4:24 am

Welcome home, LLR!
DavidH
Tagliatelle Trainee Monk

Postby Roy Hunter on Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:00 am

Welcome back, LLR. Nice to see you are still kicking against the pricks.
"I don't mean to sound bitter, cynical or cruel; but I am, so that's how it comes out." ~ Bill Hicks.
"To argue with a person who has renounced reason is like administering medicine to the dead." ~ Thomas Paine.
"One should not believe everything one reads on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln.
"If you're making a political point wearing a balaclava, you're a c***. It was true for the IRA and it's true now." ~ daftbeaker.
Roy Hunter
If it's not Scottish, it's crap.

Location: It's the place where you are, but that's not important right now.

Postby LibraLabRat on Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:48 am

Basically, thanks to my VA disability and this GoFundMe thing, I am about to become a guerrilla science teacher. If that isn't being a pirate, I dunno what is.
'There are no atheists in foxholes' isn't an argument against atheism, it's an argument against foxholes."
-James Morrow
LibraLabRat
Humble Hermit

Postby Cardinal Fang on Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:21 am

It sounds a great idea.

Sometimes the best way to teach a scientific concept is to show people it, rather than just telling them about it in a classroom or somesuch.

If I'm ever across the pond and in your neck of the woods, I might even come and join in.

CF

P.S. Welcome back
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".
Cardinal Fang
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby LibraLabRat on Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:27 am

Well, Cardinal Fang....I could take you out to catch blue crabs in one of the many canals and bayous, show you live alligators, some of the largest aquatic bird nesting areas in the nation....and stuff you full of some of the greatest food to ever grace the planet.
-James Morrow
LibraLabRat
Humble Hermit

Postby Cardinal Fang on Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:55 pm

LibraLabRat wrote:Well, Cardinal Fang....I could take you out to catch blue crabs in one of the many canals and bayous, show you live alligators, some of the largest aquatic bird nesting areas in the nation....and stuff you full of some of the greatest food to ever grace the planet.

Can't match that sort of wildlife this side of the pond - squirrels and swans and the like over here.

CF
Cardinal Fang's Python Site
http://www.cardinalfang.net

My contact e-mail address is FAKE.
To contact me, my email is "latinum" at "hotmail" dot "com".
Cardinal Fang
Vermicelli Vizier

Postby Qwertyuiopasd on Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:03 pm

Hey there LLR! Great to hear from you, and your plan sounds awesome!
daftbeaker wrote:But if I stop bugging you I'll have to go back to arguing with Qwerty about whether beauty is truth and precisely what we both mean by 'purple' :moon:

Any statistical increase in the usage of the :idiot: emoticon since becoming Admin should not be considered significant, meaningful, or otherwise cause for worry.
Qwertyuiopasd
Admirable Admiral Qwerty

Return to All Things FSM