Book Discussion

Any thoughts?

1,533 Responses to “Book Discussion”

1. theFewtheProudtheMarinara says:

Bob: Do you really believe we haven’t heard of Jesus? For most of us, it took years to rid ourselves of years of that brainwashing. Sadly, it looks like you’ll never make it. But keep on memorizing drivel if it makes you feel better. “For God so Loved the World..” that he flooded it, killing almost everyone – had 2 bears maul 42 kids to death for joking about someone’s baldness – condemned generations to hell for their ancestor’s eating of an apple – made Lot’s life miserable and killed his family just to win a bet with the devil – shall I go on?

2. plumberbob says:

@ 983 – bob -,

Perhaps if you were smart enough to read and follow the directions that were clearly given to you when you entered our site, you would have had your questions answered. After reading the Open Letter and the “About” tab material, you could have learned:

1) Our mission is the exclusion of religious mythology from the science curricula of public schools.

2) Our theology is a satire that neither depends on, nor is derivative of any other religion.

3) We insist that any school board that includes any religious mythology in their science curricula, must also include ours.

As believers feel free to make claims about the way the universe works, then they should be challenged on it.  That’s what happens when you make truth claims.  That your claims are hard to back up is unfortunate. You’re free to believe that the moon is made out of green cheese, but being free to believe that, doesn’t require that other people coddle that delusion.

“That’s something the apologists for faith need to learn, too: religion should be strong enough to stand against academic rudeness and mockery without this pathetic bleating for shelter from skepticism. It’s easy to be tolerant and civil when you’ve compelled everyone to be agreeable with you; the challenge is to do the same when you’re being denounced.”
    P Z Myers

The attached talk by Dr Andy Thomson tells us how our needs as helpless infants uses the same parts of the brain as our thoughts about the mythology of religion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iMmvu9eMrg

The fears and terrors of the unknown are powerful drivers in our need for superstition.

CHRISTIANITY: the belief that a cosmic Jewish zombie will give you eternal life if you drink his blood and eat his flesh and telepathically tell him he’s your master, all because some rib women was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree.
    MAKES PERFECT SENSE!

Goats on fire! Happy Monkey, 2010!

RAmen

3. plumberbob says:

@ 983 – bob – ,

Let me clarify in the most direct way possible, some of your incorrect perceptions about many of us at this site. My assertions are about many, but not necessarily all of us, and I do wish to be dramatic.

We do not believe that any deity exists.

We have seen nothing that could prove or affirm the existence of any deity.

We live full lives with love of our friends and relatives.

We have faith in science, education, art, society, and the inherent goodness of people.

We have hope that the light of education will spread to the slaves of the clergy who fear reality.

If you have any proof of the existence of any of the deities that you have postulated, please make it known to us. You’ve come to our website, we’ve not gone to yours to spout our fears and terrors.
    In the mean time, since you’ve proposed your own mythology, it is up to you to prove to us the existence of your deity. Mis-quoting from a Hebrew/ Koine book that you probably can’t read is not accepted as proof. You must know the language, who wrote it, when it was written, and the politics and economics of the authors and editors before we can have a clear rational discussion about it.

Goats on fire! Happy Monkey, 2010!

RAmen

4. Keith says:

* 983: “beacuse no matter what you believe now, every knee will and every tounge will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord of all one.”

Every knee eh? Well, if my knee starts to talk I’ll assume I have a Jinmenso. I’ll either call in a famous surgeon like Black Jack or failing that a Japanese exorcist.

5. Dielan says:

My friend got the Gospel of the FSM for xmas and I read it. Changed my life. I’ve converted several former open minded Christians already!

RAmen.

6. tekHedd says:

I bought the book and it is now making the rounds of friends of friends. One confirmed conversion already…and I can honestly say this was done without evangelism. He asked to borrow the book after hearing about it!

I did mention the 30 day offer, which does seem to have helped a lot. Combined with the simple words “free of dogma” it basically sells itself! Now if only I could get a nicer copy of the book.

7. Ubi Dubium says:

@Bob – 982 & 983

You are so intent on people “finding jesus”. How is it that he keeps getting lost? I recommend looking behind the sofa, that’s always a good starting place. Honestly, if you can’t keep track of your own messiah, why would you expect us to find him for you?

Have some pasta and get over yourself. RAmen.

8. I'm not giving you my name! says:

I have been touched. I thought it was his noodly apendage; the second time it was FSM! I am open to the truth. But I have one question for you. Is the chinese depiction of Him the Flying Lo-Mein Monster, the Flying Wanton Monster, or is it still Spaghetti? And can we eat spaghetti? Because anti smoking christians say “Eat Jesus” and “Inhale Jesus. get high on life” can we eat FSP?

Leave a Reply