Frequently Asked Questions

Last updated 7/2008

Q: Who are you?

A: My name is Bobby Henderson. I’m 27. I grew up in Oregon and move around a lot. I have a physics degree and have successfully avoided a “real” job for years.

Q: Did you really send the Open Letter to the Kansas School Board?

A: Yes. But, I received no replies until after I posted the website online and the School Board started getting lots of emails about it. You can read some of the responses I received here.

Q: Are you an atheist / heathen / what?

A: I don’t have a problem with religion. What I have a problem with is religion posing as science. Teach Creationism in school, fine, but don’t teach it in a science classroom. And don’t change the definition of science so that you can teach these things. That’s retarded.
Supernatural explanations are by definition not science, so why would you teach them in a science classroom?

Religion, itself, isn’t bad. But it isn’t necessarily good, either. There are plenty of good Christians (and Muslims, and Buddhists, and Hindus), and plenty of bad ones.

Dogma is bad for everyone.

Q: You are making God angry.

A: I doubt it. If there’s a God, and he’s intelligent, then I would guess he has a sense of humor. And how do you know He is NOT a Flying Spaghetti Monster?

Q: Do you make money off this?

A: Yes. The Church makes money off T-shirts, car emblems, book sales, and occasionally donations. We are saving a lot of money and pretty soon here we’ll buy our first Pirate Ship which will serve as a floating church, open to all Believers.

Q: Your graph is messed up.

A: No, it’s not. The X-axis doesn’t have to represent time. And the data points don’t need to be in order. A graph is just a collection of data points, I can display them however I want. It might not be what you’re used to, but it’s not messed up. Please stop writing me emails about it (well over 200 at this point).

Q: There are more pirates now than ever. Look at the South Pacific. And song-downloading pirates, and blah blah blah.

A: Real pirates use swords (cutlasses, actually). Those “pirates” in the south pacific are guys with machine guns, cruising around in power-boats. They’re not pirates. And the song-downloading “pirates” are smelly nerds, and therefore not real pirates.

Q: Your grammar/spelling/etc is bad.

A: Yah.

Q: You’re wrong. It’s actually a linguini / mashed potato / dinosaur / elephant / whatever monster.

A: Maybe He just disguises Himself as those things. Also, you’re not funny.

Q: Can I reprint your letter?

A: Yes. Send me a link, please.

Q: Acceptible use of content?

A: It’s ok with me if you’re using the FSM images/content as long as it’s not for profit, and you’re doing it to further the Cause of the church. I.e. printing out FSM propaganda materials and distributing them is ok (and encouraged). Making FSM t-shirts, selling FSM merchandise, etc. is NOT OK.

Q: What blogging/cms software are you using?

A: The recently redesigned site is built on the WordPress platform with the K2 template.

Q: How many members are there?

A: I don’t know. There are no membership records as such, so I can only guess based on the amount of traffic the site receives, etc. Traffic to date (September 2006) is somewhere in the vicinity of 350 million hits, and around 15 million unique visitors. Google returns close to 2 million results for the phrase “flying spaghetti monster“. So, who knows – your guess is as good as mine.

Q: Why Pirates?

A: We believe that humans evolved from pirates. Consider that humans share around 95% DNA with monkeys, and more than 99.9% DNA with pirates.

Q: Interview requests

A: I’m happy to answer your questions. I recommend you just send me your questions in an email with a subject that I’ll notice, like “INTERVIEW QUESTIONS”. You don’t need to ask permission or set up an interview for some future time, just send me the questions. Thanks.

Q: Website statistics

A: Somewhere around 10k-40k visitors per day, and somewhere around 500k-1million hits a day. Hits are extremely high because lots of people hotlink images,etc from the site. Which is fine w/me.

Emails – depends, but 50 per day is not uncommon. I have 13,839 unread emails right now (9/25/06). I’ll get to as many as I can.

Q: Why is there an FSM banner on my MySpace profile?

A: It’s a virus/worm that WAS NOT CREATED BY ME. I had nothing to do with it. I’m sorry – it caused everyone a lot of problems, and I do not approve of this sort of thing. You can remove it by following the directions here.

More questions? Ask me below, or email me at bobby.henderson@gmail.com

951 Responses to “Frequently Asked Questions”

1 3 4 5 6 7 119
  1. gill says:

Death–very funny, I should think. Provided we’re sane enough at 90 to remember the whole thing in the first place.

2. Geo says:

I would really like to understand where your coming from and while, to you this is no joke, to me it sure seems that way, but if you could explain your religion to me i would really apprecite a better understanding of it because from my current perspective thier sure does seem to be some serious logical fallacies in the whole thing.

sincerely

geo

3. Stevee says:

Geo,
    The board is self explanatory really. Most of the people on this board are of a sceptical opinion. While no one puts down the right to faith, we do not feel that any person of a religious bent has the right to grievously inflict it on anyone. Enter the Kansas City school board, who wish to teach intelligent design as a science in direct opposition to the THEORY of evolution. As there is no basis in fact for ID to be taught as a science and is entirely based on faith, blind faith at that, Bobby Henderson told the Kansas school board about the FSM again an entity based entirely on faith and he also proved using faith based articles that as global warming increased that Pirates decreased, however I digress, Bobby stated quite rightly that as the FSM was based on “facts” in line with ID that it should be taught in school also. This has made Christians the world over in turn angry and perplexed.

They have shown all the facets of Christianity, with a few exceptions, by damming everyone and promising all sorts of dire punishments from their kind and loving god, thereby showing a basic lack of understanding of their own religion and lining themselves up roughly to the right of Muslim fundamentalists.

4. CrackWhore says:

“Bobby, your site is amusing, and I can agree that ID does not belong in science classes. However, I also believe that Evolution does not belong in science classes for much the same reason. Let’s stick to chemistry, physics and biology based on the scientific theory.”

I think you meant scientific method, not scientific theory. But that is sort of the point. Evolution IS a biology theory based on the scientific method. Intelligent Design, on the other hand, is not. Therefore ID has no place in science class, and even though a school board can change the definition of ‘science’ in their district in order to allow the supernatural to be taught if they want, it does not change what science actually is. It just makes the rest of the world laugh at them for being ignorant fools who obvioulsy failed science class when they were in school.

5. Jesus says:

Can I be a pastafarian, if I dont wear pirate clothes?

6. Michelle says:

My comment is in response to Dave:

“Dave
    Sep 19th, 2006 at 11:10 pm
    Bobby, your site is amusing, and I can agree that ID does not belong in science
    for much the same reason. Let’s stick to chemistry, physics and biology based
    on the scientific theory.”

I think you may be confused on the definition of a theory. A bunch of statements proposing an explanation for some occurance (a hypothesis, if you will) without any evidence to back it up is just a possible explanation. For something to be a theory, it must be supported by evidence.

Evolution is indeed a theory with evidence behind it:
    - there are fossil records that change progressively through geological layers
    - changes have been created in domestic plants and animals through selective breeding (evolution in action!)
    - molecular and physical similarities among living species (including genetic)
    - molecular timelines constructed using error rates of mitochondrial DNA
    - recent observations of species evolving in the wild (smaller mammals and invertebrates)

I believe that evolution should be taught in science classes. Although the theory may not be perfect at this point, most science taught in schools is only the best theory available at the moment and (most) will change as science progresses. In order for the “chemistry, physics and biology based on the scientific theory” you believe should be taught to flourish as discliplines, people have to learn the (sometimes incorrect) theories so they can test and improve them.

ps. evolution is biology (and chemistry)

7. Draco Merest says:

I saw the last 10 minutes of an English Comedy featuring computer nerds who have a ‘rough’ drawing on a pin up board of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. See link to web page.

8. Andrew Pegleg says:

The source of “RAmen”
    In the beginning, when He descended upon the universe as we know it, He began to create that which He deemed well and good. After He created the trees, the mountians, and the midgits, He decided in his Semolinian goodness to allow the midgits to reproduce. WHen they bore forth many offspring (known as Primavarians), the number if prayer requests began to outnumber the Noodly Appendages He had. SO He created Emmisaries in his image. To the far east of the earth, he created the Underwater Rice Ball. The Rice Ball grew underwater in an area that became know to all as the Patties, an obvious translation of Pasta in the Asian toungues. In the asian people’s early attempt to purify their souls, a sect created believed in their hearts that the life blood of their religion, the red sauce of their souls, was to be found in another creation of His Noodleness, the Ramen Fairies. These fairies, they believed, were so numerous (in order to be accessible to the growin number of asian peoples), that they were to become packaged in $0.12 packages, and flavored in a myriad of styles. When later the Supreme leader of Fork-Twirling masses, the Holy leader of all that is Alfredo, the FSM revealed Himself as the fairies themselves, the sect had a change of heart. They saw the error of their ways and began again to worship the FSM throught His emmisary, The Underwater Rice Ball. To this day, Pastafarians world wide show their surrneder from other false religions by adding a “RAmen” to end of their prayers.

1 3 4 5 6 7 119