The Vancouver pride parade douche was not one of us

Published August 7th, 2014 by Bobby Henderson

This guy, Bill Whatcott,

fatdouche

has nothing to do with the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

We hear he crashed a Vancouver pride parade posing as a member of the Calgary Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster and then passed out anti-gay leaflets.

I find it all very sad, and while I hope no one actually believed this douche represents the Church of the FSM, I wonder if there’s anything that can be done to keep him from using our name and symbols in the future.

Here’s an article talking about their antics.

93 Responses to “The Vancouver pride parade douche was not one of us”

1 2 3 5
  1. Carolyn says:

Just so you know, VanCity Buzz is misreporting the incident and is saying you’re an anti-gay group: http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2014/08/anti-gay-group-sneaks-vancouver-pride-parade-hands-2500-fake-condoms-hateful-letters/

• Shev says:

Carolyn buzz makes it pretty clear that they are a evangelist church from Alberta posing as being from the fam church just to get into the parade…

• Shev says:

*fsm church

2. C.Cooper says:

Isn’t this false representation and defamation of character? I would ask around and see if you can find a pirate lawyer to make sure these bigots are never allowed to falsely represent Our Lord and Dinner FSM and your organization again.

• Darryl says:

I think they should walk the plank..

3. SillyKiwiMan says:

I’m horrified.

I’m not surprised that some arsehole gaycist tried to kill two birds with one stone, I’m just disappointed that it’s being reported that we collectively endorse this wanker’s bullshit.

Any chance of an official church statement to the press in question from Bobby?

• SillyKiwiMan says:

My bad, after a second reading it is clear that the VanCityBuzz realise he’s an imposter.

Still, I reckon an official statement wouldn’t hurt.

• Nathaniel Christopher says:

I am the author of the article that appeared in Xtra. I did contact Bobby Henderson for comment but didn’t hear back from him before our deadline.

• SillyKiwiMan says:

Any chance of writing an article roundly condemning the prick using our good name to push an arsehole agenda?

There is a post regarding the official church stance on same-sex marriage, and I think that I can speak for all Pastafarians when I say that we are disgusted by this feeble excuse for a man’s actions and attempts to sully our collective reputation.

Yarrgh

• SillyKiwiMan says:

Oh, and thanks for the balanced reporting. Most media makes us out to be smartarses or cranks.

• Vasudera Torrent says:

Bobby Henderson is not allowed to respond to anybody. He is under contract with Villard Books. He is required by contract to be aloof and inaccessible. Pastafarians are going to have to branch out and create our own church without Bobby’s approval. Otherwise the church dies or becomes misrepresented by people like Bill Whatcott.

• Keith says:

Well, it was fun while it lasted: time now to move on. I don’t like long goodbyes so I’ll just say thanks for the giggles and best of luck and joy to all of you.

4. Chris says:

Seeing stuff like this is horrible, as a Canadian and a Pastafarian. Hopefully people do realize that his noodliness loves us all. If the Church wanted to try to go after him for misrepresenting the values of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, A lot of people would donate money to a Kickstarter campaign for legal action. I know that I would.

• Captain Birdseye says:

I reckon he’s gay. Seems like his plan is to get into the slammer and will repeatedly drop the soap.

5. Christophe says:

Geez, what a douche.
    I think we should right away send messages to news sites reporting FSM church as an anti-gay organization.
    And I’d like his false website to be crushed by His Noodly Appendage.

Thrice.

6. Jasper says:

Shouldn’t it be ‘impasta’?

• Hieronymus Fortesque Lickspittle says:

Ha!

7. Matt says:

This is illegal in Canada. It’s libel. it is worth putting him in his place in my opinion.

In a related point, I think we can be more creative. I’m from Alberta and have been working on an idea with some calgarian pastafarians. We’re thinking we want sponsor a big gay mixer under the FSM banner. A statement of The FSMs suggestions. We’ll serve spaghetti and meatballs, have a toonie bar full of canadian beer, and we will give special thanks to Bill Whatcott and his organization for the inspiration and idea. What do you guys think? anyone interested in helping make it happen? I’ll be discussing it further on the FaceBook page.

• Matt says:

oh, and I have the media lists for the entire province.

• Jack says:

I’m a Calgarian Pastafarian myself (well, sort of. I’m in Lethbridge for schooling right now. But home is where the pasta is, am I right?) And I am down for creating a REAL Calgarian Pastafarian event.

• StJason says:

That’s brilliant.

I was going to suggest a full broadside with grapeshot, soaking the church in rum and lighting it afire and singing shanties while watching it burn… but that’d be a waste of rum. Your idea is much better.

Make sure to market the hell out of it. Contact ALL the papers, the big ones, the alt-weeklies, the little community ones… come up with a press statement before so they can just copy & paste. Put it up on all the FB pages… FSM, gay and community… Twitter, G+, even *shudder* Reddit. Get the word out to as many people as possible.

Make a few posters of our inspirer… Make sure that a picture or two of him gets into the paper, and make sure the connection is strong… HE gave you the idea to have a pro-gay rally and dinner in the FSM’s name. Put that in the press statement too.

Make plenty of spaghetti. Tons of it. And buy extra beer… it always runs out.

• Matt says:

absolutely! this isn’t my first PR campaign. It also seems that calgarians of all interpretations o his noodly goodness are upset that an edmontonian would misrepresent their city as well. I don’t want to do the same wrong though, I just want a poetic response.

• Laura Braidman says:

Awesom idea!

• Ashley says:

You should try to use this mixer to raise money to donate to a local gay charity/organization. That way this twit can see that his actions have only further helped the gay community, not hindered.
      Kind of like when some celebrity offers to donate a certain dollar amount for every member of the Westboro Baptist Church that shows up to a certain event. It’s a beautiful irony.

• Matt says:

way ahead of you. I’ve been drawing up a list of recognized pride organizations and their contacts.

8. Jonathan Robert says:

Bobby,

I would recommend trademarking the FSM image and the words “The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster”… That way this hate-mongers could at least be sued for misrepresenting a brand and you could send a cease and desist letter. I’d reason to bet that someone in the FSM community is a trademark attorney.

• wayne says:

Probably don’t need a trademark any more than the Angiicans. You’re an established and recognized institution, and this was an act of hostile infringement.

Set a precedent – ’cause I got a nice Catholic outfit for next year if you lose. ;

1 2 3 5