Pastafarian minister sworn into office

Published January 6th, 2014 by Bobby Henderson

sworn-in

Encouraging news, reported by The Observer out of Dunkirk, New York:

A unique style of headwear was present during newly-seated Pomfret Town Council member Christopher Schaeffer’s oath of office Thursday afternoon, but it wasn’t intended to keep his head warm.

Schaeffer wore a colander (a strainer typically used to drain water from spaghetti) while Town Clerk Allison Dispense administered the oath of office to him before the board’s reorganizational meeting. When the OBSERVER asked afterward why he wore a colander on his head, Schaeffer said he was a minister with an even more unique organization – the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

This may be the first openly Pastafarian sworn into office. For sure, the first to be sworn in wearing a colander.

I imagine Council member Schaeffer is getting a lot of heat because of the news coverage. Some people will see it as obnoxious or a sign that he’s not taking the oath of office seriously. But I am completely confident that Schaeffer will distinguish himself as a Council member of the highest caliber.

Scaeffer’s statement at the end of the article says it all:

“Mostly, I’m just looking forward to making sure that the town is run smoothly and we meet the needs of all of our citizens,” he said. “If anybody ever has any concerns or questions, I hope they contact me, because I want to make sure that everyone is represented.”

You can read the article here at the Observer.

129 Responses to “Pastafarian minister sworn into office”

1 2 3 7
  1. SillyKiwiMan says:

Brave. Extremely brave.

When being anything other than christian can equal political suicide, it’s nice that there are people with the balls to be up front.

This man is a light in the darkness, proof that mankind is growing. Maybe more of our ilk will feel like they can “come out”, but I imagine that will depend on which part of the world they live in.

Yaargh.

• Bill says:

Nah religion is fading fast these days I guess people don’t like the idea of eternity in hell for whatever you can do in 70-80 years give or take. My old church with a fire and brimstone preacher is the reason I became an atheist at the age of 7. I stood up said he was full of shit and prepared myself for the “hell” my ass was getting ready to be put through.

They got over it.

2. Pete Byrdie says:

Well played, Council Member Christopher Schaeffer!

I love the way The Observer felt the need to define “dogma”, like it’s Sesame Street or something.

3. Keith says:

Perhaps Mr Schaeffer would be willing to tell us about the responses to his actions. I don’t suppose the reaction would have been the same as if he were a senator but it would still be interesting to hear about.

4. TheFewTheProudTheMarinara says:

We’re so proud of you, Christopher!

5. CHS says:

The response was not positive. But I stand by my convictions, and will not let anyone’s religious beliefs be belittled. Your Brother in Sauces Chris.

• Pete Byrdie says:

Well, this sounds like the true spirit of Pastafarianism. I hope your community accepts that your stand is about freedom of belief, and not animosity towards belief.

Pesto be upon thee, Knight of the Pasta

• Keith says:

You have as much right to your beliefs as anyone else. Best wishes from someone who comes from a country where there is no legal seperation of church and state.

• Rev. Wulff says:

I don’t know about the response within the actual community, but I’m seeing some interesting results online. The original Observer article’s comments section, which I believe is mostly local, seemed overwhelmingly, even needlessly, negative. However, the same story on Huffington Post, with national exposure, has received overwhelmingly positive comments.

My initial interpretation of the data indicates that we need to get more Pastafarians to run for higher office. While there will be pockets of resistance, a Pastafarian president within my lifetime is not out of reach!

Ramen.

• Bruce (of Bruce and Susan) says:

RAmen, Councilman Schaeffer!

6. Kat says:

This is fantastic. Good work.

7. Stormy says:

Have you noticed people that look italian seem to be rising through the ranks of Pastafarianism faster? There is a hidden conspiracy here….

• Luke says:

They’re the Italianati!

• Xtra-SausyBallz says:

They are obviously the gentiles of the pastafarians… Intalianted by his holiness

8. Durum says:

This was noticed by the mainstream media here in Finland! A really awesome thing to do!

1 2 3 7