Pastafarian minister sworn into office

Published January 6th, 2014 by Bobby Henderson

sworn-in

Encouraging news, reported by The Observer out of Dunkirk, New York:

A unique style of headwear was present during newly-seated Pomfret Town Council member Christopher Schaeffer’s oath of office Thursday afternoon, but it wasn’t intended to keep his head warm.

Schaeffer wore a colander (a strainer typically used to drain water from spaghetti) while Town Clerk Allison Dispense administered the oath of office to him before the board’s reorganizational meeting. When the OBSERVER asked afterward why he wore a colander on his head, Schaeffer said he was a minister with an even more unique organization – the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

This may be the first openly Pastafarian sworn into office. For sure, the first to be sworn in wearing a colander.

I imagine Council member Schaeffer is getting a lot of heat because of the news coverage. Some people will see it as obnoxious or a sign that he’s not taking the oath of office seriously. But I am completely confident that Schaeffer will distinguish himself as a Council member of the highest caliber.

Scaeffer’s statement at the end of the article says it all:

“Mostly, I’m just looking forward to making sure that the town is run smoothly and we meet the needs of all of our citizens,” he said. “If anybody ever has any concerns or questions, I hope they contact me, because I want to make sure that everyone is represented.”

You can read the article here at the Observer.

123 Responses to “Pastafarian minister sworn into office”

1 4 5 6
  1. Rasputin says:

Is the SurfIng Coffee Bean a new deity? What kind of beverage volcano does He provide in heaven?

• Jo Switten says:

This SurfIng Coffee Bean is one of the many false prophets from ancient times. You find a lot of fans of this prophet in the many Starbucks you find all over the world. Their goal is to pollute the seas with their empty cups and thus make it impossible for pirates to sail them! No to coffee! Yes to beer! All hail to His Holy Noodliness!

• Keith says:

There used to be a Gloria Jeans cafe in our local shopping centre. Once they displayed a notice about a “Cycling for Jeebus” event so I stopped going there. Perhaps the Surfing Coffee Bean is associated with Jeebusness and has a relation who also rides a bicycle.

• SillyKiwiMan says:

I boycott Gloria Jeans, as well as Sanitarium, and any other businesses owned by churches who don’t pay tax because they’re delusional.

• Keith says:

It looks like they make contributions to Family First, which is a perfectly good reason to despise them.

2. Lincoln says:

This represents true progress for our Church. I have long prayed for this day. His Noodleness is very pleased to see this.

3. Mike Lorrey says:

I got elected in March to my town’s budget committee. I filed on the last hour of the last day of filing, and when the forces of darkness found out I had filed, they hastily formed a well organized write in campaign to try to defeat me, because they had not thought to run anybody on their side for the office. Fortunately for me, most of their supporters thought their candidate was running for the *school district* budget committee and not the *town* budget committee, wrote their candidate in on the wrong ballot, and their forces were divided leading to my ultimate victory. I did not campaign or put out any signs or anything, while they did. I had not until that point actually seen anybody ever put out campaign signs for a write in candidate before.

4. hidroizolatii terase bloc preturi says:

Just wish to say your aryicle is as surprising. The clarity to your put up is simply eexcellent and i can think you’rean expert oon this subject.
    Fine with your permission alkow me to seize your RSS feed to keep up to date with forthcoming post.
    Thanks a miplion and please keep up the gratifying work.

1 4 5 6