Secular message not well received as House of Reps daily prayer

Published June 6th, 2013 by Bobby Henderson

juan-mendez

I like this — Arizona Rep. Juan Mendez offered the daily prayer at a floor session, and instead of God talk, he spoke about tolerance and the values we share as humans, and the duty of government to look past religious divisions:

Most prayers in this room begin with a request to bow your heads. I would like to ask that you not bow your heads. I would like to ask that you take a moment to look around the room at all of the men and women here, in this moment, sharing together this extraordinary experience of being alive and of dedicating ourselves to working toward improving the lives of the people in our state.

This is a room in which there are many challenging debates, many moments of tension, of ideological division, of frustration. But this is also a room where, as my secular humanist tradition stresses, by the very fact of being human, we have much more in common than we have differences. We share the same spectrum of potential for care, for compassion, for fear, for joy, for love.

What a great sentiment, and surely the members of the House, even if religious, appreciated such a positive message.

Except for Rep. Steve Smith, who felt it necessary to re-do the prayer the next day in repentance. What a douche.

Some articles:

About Rep. Mendez’s secular daily prayer

About Rep. Smith, butt-hurt, re-doing the prayer

I look forward to the day when Pastafarian members of the House can speak openly about their one True faith.

83 Responses to “Secular message not well received as House of Reps daily prayer”

1. Atsap Revol says:

HCG, low score for ORIGINALITY, high score for CUT-AND-PASTE. But I’m glad you liked my thought expressed a few posts above.

Atsap Revol

2. http://pass-the-test.org/ says:

Our professors often designed your tests for those themes, as well as there was to help http://pass-the-test.org/ all the finals so as to progress a new level and eventually graduate. People that been unsuccessful needed to repeat this course.

• Billy Bones says:

Spam, spam, spam, spam
      spam, spam, spam, spam,
      spammity spam!
      Ramen

3. Keith says:

You really need to rethink your sentence structure.

• TiltedHorizon says:

What mean you?

4. black ops 2 says:

Hello there, I found your site by the use of Google even as searching for a related matter, your site came up, it looks great. I’ve added to favourites|added to my bookmarks.

5. Apprentice Frederic says:

Certainly in a favorable context, Rep. Mendez’s Carl Sagan quote was one of a great many apt ones. Someone posted this earlier, but, with apologies to Atsap and many others for cut-and-paste, here is my favorite:

“In some respects, science has far surpassed religion in delivering awe. How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, “This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed”? Instead they say, “No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.” ”

The FSM – even a little squiffy at the instant of creation – has delivered on that thought. We should honor Rep. Mendez (is a secular humanist the same as an atheist?) in some way. The Catholics are running way ahead of us in the sainthood department!!!!

6. click here says:

Thank you for the auspicious writeup. It actually was once a leisure account it. Glance complicated to more delivered agreeable from you! By the way, how could we keep in touch?

7. Angrybeard says:

This is discrimination against secularism, and a violation to religious freedom.

Let’s burn them all!

8. SEOClerks says:

This doesn’t make sense! How can somebody (Steve Smith) differentiate based on religion :(. Why don’t these kind of people understand we belong to only one religion, humans.

• TheFewtheProudtheMarinara says:

Wait! Religion is supposed to make sense now?