Where is the evidence?

Published April 7th, 2013 by Bobby Henderson

Here’s a video that has been making the rounds.   Richard Dawkins shows great patience in interviewing Creationist Wendy Wright.  I find it painful to watch but also fascinating.

455 Responses to “Where is the evidence?”

1 12 13 14 15 16 26
  1. TM says:

This lady talks about God’s ‘moral law’. The bible shows just how ‘moral’ this god is – e,g. divinely sanctioned massacres, death for trivial offences etc. When Jesus came along, he stated that all these ‘moral laws’ of god were correct and right. Only a Christian would see evidence for a compassionate and loving creator in a handicapped child that has no hope of a cure and who is ignored by her creator.

• Touched by O' Noodily One says:

People often talk of the good work god has done through healing the sick, but if god was all good and omnipotent, then why does he not heal amputees?

• Keith says:

Why does he allow them to become amputees in the first place?

• Alex F says:

It’s all part of his grand plan you see. Just like the needless slaughter of 6 million Jews. Logical right?

• Dewald says:

From a Christian worldview, your arguments don’t hold water.
      Go read Romans 9 :14 and onward, but if you not keen, then the gist of it is that if God made you he can do with you as he pleases. Another problem with your criticism of God is that your view of Sin is not the same as Gods,therefore your claim that God is immoral for punishing “trivial sin” . With God no sin is trivial. The way in which sin was punished ” ie, death for so called trivial offences simply highlights the seriousness with which God views sin.
      Ageing, death, handicapped children, sickness, the way things are in general are all as a result of Mans fallen state. The Christian worldview is that man is born sinful and deserves punishment. The Christian message of hope is that God sent his son into the world to take the punishment we deserve and offer us eternal life.
      Also, what do you find immoral about the ten comandments.

• Atsap Revol says:

Well, Dewald, that’s why Pastafarianism is a superior religion. We do not hold that people are inherently born sinful, and we attempt to encourage the goodness that most people naturally have. I know that you are unable to step outside of your religious paradigm and objectively evaluate the mythical dogma you have been conditioned to embrace. As George Carlin put it: “God has to be a man because no woman ever could or would fuck things up this bad.”

• SillyKiwiMan says:

Graven images, observe the sabbath, false idols.

Nothing immoral, just weird. If your god is supposed to be the one and only, why is it jealous and insecure? if it’s all-powerful, what does it have to fear? And I doubt that you’re able to understand this, but can it create a rock it cannot lift?

• TheFewtheProudtheMarinara says:

Those rules are obviously set not by a god, but by the religion. They want to establish a monopoly.

• SillyKiwiMan says:

And if you dare to admit that there could be imperfections in scientific theory, they choose that to mean that all of science is wrong. Then they go with “if you’re wrong, then I’m right”, ignoring there are many ideas people have come up with for creation other than their one.

They miss one vital point. His Holy Noodliness has touched me, and I know our path to be the truth, the way and the carbohydrate.

• Keith says:

It seems that Dewald’s god isn’t the only one: Ex. 22:28 “Thou shalt not revile the gods, nor curse the ruler of thy people”. Of course, the usual excuses will be “You haven’t read it in context / it’s poetic / it wasn’t interpreted properly / jeebus made all of the O/T redundant / the whole thing is a fairy tale.” Oops! Did I just put that in? Well, I’ll go with the last one anyway.

• Rev. Linguine says:

As Frank Zappa has so rightly reasoned: People are dumb – there is always war going on somewhere, they kill each other in all sorts of ways, children are raped, they are working hard at destroying the very planet they live on, they worship all sorts of obviously invented gods. I could go on… But wait ! According to the bible, God made Man to be just like him ! So if we are dumb, then god is dumb !! (And maybe a little ugly on the side).

2. RB says:

As an avid creationist I have decided to go one step further than my contemporaries. It seems to me to be somewhat foolish to believe the world was created 10,000 years ago. My point is, why would he have created it 10,000 years ago when there were no American evangelists around to trumpet about it? God knows a thing or two about efficiency let me tell you. What would be the point in waiting around for 8000 years or more with just a handful of cavemen & dinosaurs who simply weren’t capable of showing their appreciation? With that in mind I propose that God must have created the world a lot more recently. OK, there are some complications. He (sorry girls, it’s a he) would have had to have created a lot more books and what have you. But really, that’s no problem if you can invent a universe in less than a week. Trust me.

3. Steve says:

Certainly don’t agree with the creationist, but I find that Dawkins can be quite condescending…a bit of a douche, actually. At times he seems as bad as the pro-creationism nut jobs out there.

• Keith says:

I have often caught myself thinking the same thing. Possibly some of his mannerisms rub me up the wrong way but let’s face it: he is doing a job I couldn’t handle.

• Nathan says:

Mrs. Wright is using several classic mass communication techniques to argue her point. She is basically choosing emotionally driven arguments and deflecting questions that she cannot answer, while constantly referring back to Her talking points. I would hire her media relations trainer in a heartbeat. Mr. Dawkins is thinking somehow this is an intellectual debate. Which is why you think he is acting condescending, or douche-y. They are playing to very different games, and as smart as mr. Dawkins is, he is bit out of his league for dealing with this type of confrontation and coming off nice. Starting with the interview location. They are standing which makes the taller Dawkins look dominate and over bearing. Further, she continually referred to him as confrontational while he did nothing of the sort, nor attempted to refute the point, which planted the seed of your reaction. Very smart media relations team at her organization, but their handle on the truth is a completely different matter…

4. Bob says:

I absolutely love the fact that this woman is trying to make the case that because religion is a nicer, softer, and kinder idea that makes it more realistic and factual. Where Evolution is a harsher more cutthroat idea so it can’t be factual. With simple observance of the world, I think that this argument supports Evolution even more-so.

And Dawkins can be quite condescending, but for him to put up with that level of stupidity (not ignorance, she has been presented the information and refuses to accept it so its stupidity) for as long as he did makes him such a Saint the Catholic Church should support him.

5. Jen says:

I loved the irony of her comparing “close-minded” scientists to religious dogmatists. Wait.. where’s that mirror again?

6. Fagioli says:

If there were intelligent design, why do I have a scrotum?

• Keith says:

God was going to put them under the chin. That is why we get turkey necks when we grow older.

• Fagioli says:

Well, he did that to the Ballchinians. (See the acclaimed documentary Men in Black.)

• SillyKiwiMan says:

It’s leftover elbow skin. It’s just so funny looking that His Holy Noodliness decided to put it out of the way so that a fig leaf would prevent people pointing and laughing.

It’s evidence that our divine carbohydrate has a sense of humour. To women: boobs (seriously, if I was a woman I’d install a steam-proof mirror in my showrr and never leave my house) To men: cock & balls.

• Fagioli says:

Well, the pee-pee placement I might forgive. The cojones, however, have been positioned so as to allow an angry two-year-old to incapacitate an adult with one well-aimed punch. (Yes , this is autobiographical.)

• Fagioli says:

Btw, viewed from a certain angle, HHN might be said to have elements of testicularity in his appearance, n’est-ce pasta?

• SillyKiwiMan says:

Our deity has the biggest balls. It’s one of the things I enjoy the most.

• Fagioli says:

He should have attached women’s boobs to a more logical area, by which I mean my hands.

• Fagioli says:

Hey kiwi, are you from New Zitiland?

• SillyKiwiMan says:

Yes, although I’ve crossed the ditch and now call Sydney home. I’ll still always support the mighty All Blacks.

7. John says:

I believe the world was created a week ago last Tuesday by God who is a student named Phil. Everything we know is a fabrication to obscure this. This is part of a class project and stupid people were created to be annoying just to see how we cope.

• Keith says:

A sound and reasonable belief system without contradictions and talking snakes.

• Pete Byrdie says:

Enlighten us, oh John prophet of Phil! What does Phil require we do that he will smite those stupid people and send them into the lab’s waste bin?

• Fagioli says:

Hey, I’m stupid! I’m also evil!
      If I give you money, will you save me a place in Leaven?
      (I’ve heard this works with other religs)

• Keith says:

Just whisper your dirty little secrets through a grill to a man in a box who wears a dress and “Hey presto!” You can start a fresh batch of sins immediately. Oh, and don’t be concerned by the strange moaning noises coming from the box if your sins are particularly ribald: that’s just the listener earnestly fighting off the evil spirits.

• Fagioli says:

Ooh, I’m all tingly now.

• Syphoneira says:

Dear John,

I hate to criticize the Almighty Phil, but did he have to create so many of them?

I’ll be interested to see his marks – bet he has a lot knocked off for Monsanto, too…

8. David Bedolla says:

I see the pastafari monster once, when i consumed glue. I tell the people the pastafari monster exists, his name is the flying spaghetti monster, and its real. Pass be upon you.

1 12 13 14 15 16 26