He has Risen

Published March 31st, 2013 by Bobby Henderson

image

My friend Gooeld spotted this egg with an uncanny likeness to the FSM.

Because it is Easter, I want to share a link to a debate on “Did Jesus Really Rise From The Dead?” between Michael Horner and Dan Barker.   Horner is Christian scholar and Barker is a reformed Christian preacher and now an atheist activist.  It is an engaging debate and I suspect no matter your beliefs you’ll find reading this time well spent.

Here’s the link:  Did Jesus Really Rise From The Dead?

73 Responses to “He has Risen”

1. Suziekue says:

I so wanted to believe in the FSM until I saw the FSM was of the male gender. How ironic that when a new Deity is spontaneously created in the firmament, it just has to be a bloke, like most all the other religions. Pffft.

• google police says:

Wow, Suziekue–that took balls!

• SillyKiwiMan says:

His Holy Noodliness is genderless. We use “he” for convenience. Besides, given that our doctrine is based on UNintelligent design, can’t you blame the fact that only a male could be so stupid as to accidentally create a universe? Particularly one with such simultaneous beauty and horror?

• Excelsior says:

In my “God Catalogue” (abridged edition) there are 1000 gods from Allah to Zeus. There are very few female godesses because in most religions women are subjected to men. Islam is rather extreme and women are classified as “property” used only for sex and child-bearing, therefore it would be irreverant to make god a woman.
        The Christian God is obviously male because he had sex with the virgin Mary (“immaculate” conception) who bore him a son. (Mary must have been exceptionally beautiful such that even God couldn’t resist her!)
        BTW, the FSM is the only genderless god in my God Catalogue. It’s also the only religion with neither a heaven nor hell!
        Keep up the good work!

• SillyKiwiMan says:

You need to read up a little more. We have both a heaven and a hell. Also, your earlier comment that muslims are trying to out-breed everyone else in order to takeover doesn’t do us any favours.

2. stan phal says:

Great site!!

3. Excelsior says:

Dear SillyKW,
    I’m sorry that my God Catalogue is mistaken about your heaven and hell, I will have to put out a revised edition!
    Does your hell have environment-friendly heating that burns only non-believers and other refuse like the other hells? How many virgins do I get when I go to your heaven? If it’s less than 72 then i’d rather go to the Islamic Heaven!

4. Excelsior says:

I am a Staunch upholder of freedom of religion (including non-religion). However, only compatible religions should enjoy this freedom. A “compatible” religion is one that lives and lets live.
    Those religions that make you convert or die, tries to conquer the whole world, or kills those that want to leave are INCOMPATIBLE. Any such religion should not be given freedom! The Christian Church used to be incompatible, but after evolving for five centuries it has become compatible and is today quite civilized. Islam, on the other hand, is stuck in the dark age quagmire with no signs of advance. The incompatible Islamic cults of ISIS, Al-Qaeda, Boko Haram, Taliban, etc. are a shame to humanity and should be ruthlessly terminated!
    I realize that FSM is an American grass-root organization so it is primarily concerned with issues like intelligent design and abortion. However don’t forget 9/11 and Boston Marathon. Only 2000 people were killed at Pearl Harbor and “We Remember”, 3000 were murdered at WTCNY on 9/11 and we should not forget!

• SillyKiwiMan says:

Who will decide what’s “compatible”? Who will quash that which fails to live up to this arbitrary standard? Who has this right to decide whether someone may worship something or not?

Read the eight “I’d really rather you didn’ts”.

Nobody has been killed in the name of no god, and I don’t want to see that start. There are laws in place to protect the public from those who would kill, for whatever reason. Those who will kill will do so regardless. Deciding who’s about to commit a crime and punishing them before the fact is a slippery slope.

When religious nutters take their hateful views public, they put themselves on display for the world to see and judge. This is the best thing for us. Let them make fools of themselves and watch as any sympathy for them dries up. We need not take up arms, nor should we.

Choose your enemies carefully, Excelsior, for you become them.

5. Excelsior says:

Dear SillyKiwiMan,
    I understand You,and I think you understand me. Although we have different ideas on how to make the world more humane, still we have a great deal in common. Sometimes in my comments I get carried away by my own “religion” which of course will hurt others’ feelings.
    First of all let me thank you for holding this Forum so we can say what we think. On the other hand I acknowledge that it is your Forum and in the future I shall strive to make my comments more compatible with this Forum!