E. Coli resembles the FSM — coincidence?

Published October 3rd, 2012 by Bobby Henderson

The attached photo is of a small, hand-held, plush creature meant to represent the bacterium E. Coli. I obtained this little guy at a science fair in Corvallis Oregon. I believe the creature looks a lot like Him and I think that the fact that it was obtained at a science fair is no small coincidence…

Dr. Audrey

105 Responses to “E. Coli resembles the FSM — coincidence?”

1 2 3
  1. Keith says:

I’m sorry but although I see the visual resemblance, that is where I feel the similarity ends. The major difference between E.Coli and the FSM is that the FSM is benign. E.Coli unfortunately is not.

2. Carl says:

Actually most E. coli are not only harmless but actively useful in our guts. Only a few strains produce toxins.

• Keith says:

OK: I sit corrected.

• TerryDarc says:

3. tekHedd says:

I think there is a strong similarity, but in the end there’s a big difference between a central knot of noodles and a big oval thing.

Also, does anybody else notice the similarity between “north face jactets” [sic] filter-busting text and the words to the Bad Lip Reading parody videos? “street of an guy dressed up in shiny white teeth” yeah!

• Keith says:

I just thought the writer was on drugs. I’d only expect someone wearing clothing made of teeth to be in a Ray Bradbury, Edgar Allan Poe or Philip K Dick story.

4. HoaiPhai says:

What is the source of the current E. coli epidemic in Canada? Hamburger. What are meat sauce and meatballs made of? Hamburger. Coincidence? I think not!

E. coli may have been a fallen angel that the FSM banished to the depths of our (including bovines’) colons.

5. Roderick, Purser says:

The scientists just want to vilify the FSM by associations with E. Coli’s malevolent image.

6. Cathy says:

My son got one of these at the local science museum. When he wanted to make a stop-motion animation, naturally this was our stand-in for the FSM. Ramen.

7. Dr. Audrey says:

I am so thrilled that my E.Coli plush toy has sparked such a neat discussion! I think it’s important to remember that all of His creatures, great and small, serve a purpose. E. Coli (even the toxigenic strains) are not inherently “evil”, they just need to be honored for what they are…part of the cycle of life…member of the food chain, etc. Think of it like the Tetraodontidae (puffer fish) which is also potentially lethal to humans, if consumed incorrectly. No one would damn the adorable puffer as an inherently bad/evil creature, it just needs to be approached with caution and knowledge.

Anyhow, great discussion! Cathy – you should post the stop-motion animation you mentioned, it sounds awesome.

8. Darcy says:

Giant Microbes touched by His Noodliness!! Awesome. :) I have 5 of the cool little guys (athlete’s foot, algae, krill, brain cell, and pox), and hadn’t noticed the resemblance of this one till now. Guess I’ll have to add it to the collection!

1 2 3