E. Coli resembles the FSM — coincidence?

Published October 3rd, 2012 by Bobby Henderson

e-coli

The attached photo is of a small, hand-held, plush creature meant to represent the bacterium E. Coli. I obtained this little guy at a science fair in Corvallis Oregon. I believe the creature looks a lot like Him and I think that the fact that it was obtained at a science fair is no small coincidence…

Dr. Audrey

46 Responses to “E. Coli resembles the FSM — coincidence?”

1 2 3
  1. Keith says:

I’m sorry but although I see the visual resemblance, that is where I feel the similarity ends. The major difference between E.Coli and the FSM is that the FSM is benign. E.Coli unfortunately is not.

2. Carl says:

Actually most E. coli are not only harmless but actively useful in our guts. Only a few strains produce toxins.

• Keith says:

OK: I sit corrected.

• TerryDarc says:

Ramen!

3. tekHedd says:

I think there is a strong similarity, but in the end there’s a big difference between a central knot of noodles and a big oval thing.

Also, does anybody else notice the similarity between “north face jactets” [sic] filter-busting text and the words to the Bad Lip Reading parody videos? “street of an guy dressed up in shiny white teeth” yeah!

• Keith says:

I just thought the writer was on drugs. I’d only expect someone wearing clothing made of teeth to be in a Ray Bradbury, Edgar Allan Poe or Philip K Dick story.

4. HoaiPhai says:

What is the source of the current E. coli epidemic in Canada? Hamburger. What are meat sauce and meatballs made of? Hamburger. Coincidence? I think not!

E. coli may have been a fallen angel that the FSM banished to the depths of our (including bovines’) colons.

• The 13th Doctor says:

That’s an interesting theory, however, E. Coli has been studied for over 60 years. One must wonder, assuming your theory is correct, why the holy texts have no mention of it.

• Keith says:

Possibly because the holy texts are more interested in talking about enjoyable things, as opposed to another “holy” text I can think of which is more concerned with killing, rape and eternal torture.

• The 13th Doctor says:

Point taken Keith. However, I still question Hoai’s theory, as a simple mention or warning would have sufficed. Of course, it is highly possible that the Gospel of the FSM predates E. Coli, which would also explain why this “Fallen Angel” does not appear in the holy texts.

• The 13th Doctor says:

Oh and btw keith, you might find this amusing, I know I did. http://carm.org/failure-atheism-account-rationality

• Keith says:

My response to that video was “What a strange man!”. Thank you for that link The 13th Doctor and thank you for supplanting Matthew Smith. I look forward to better stories, better acting and, above all, NO AMY POND!

• The 13th Doctor says:

No prob Keith! And you can just call me Doctor.

• The 13th Doctor says:

Keith i have been reading some of your previous posts and you seem like a reasonable and levelheaded person. You should send me your email address, so we can correspond the teaching of the FSM to the world.

• Keith says:

I can’t do that: I’m being monitored. (Hastily puts tin foil hat back on head and checks Dalek toys to make sure none of them have moved).

• The 13th Doctor says:

ASSASSINATE ASSASSINATE

• The 13th Doctor says:

But srsly Keith my email is chrisdanko@live.con. If you or other pastafarians wanna message me with a discussion, i will be glad to hear them

• The 13th Doctor says:

Excuse me, chrisdanko@.com, not con

• The 13th Doctor says:

2 typos in a row, gawd. chrisdanko@live.com

• HoaiPhai says:

I apologize for any ruckus I may have caused… I’m but a Novice on the Noodley Path to Enlightenment and have yet to even read Pastafarianism’s holy book (but I’m ordering it this week). My E. Coli idea might qualify as a hypothesis but hypothesis status would require much more research on my part.

• TheFewTheProudTheMarinara says:

If research was done on every religious hypothesis, there would be no religions, so go ahead and throw any loose idea out there, HoaiPhai – it’s worked so well for Jerry Falwell and his ilk.

5. Roderick, Purser says:

The scientists just want to vilify the FSM by associations with E. Coli’s malevolent image.

6. Cathy says:

My son got one of these at the local science museum. When he wanted to make a stop-motion animation, naturally this was our stand-in for the FSM. Ramen.

7. Dr. Audrey says:

I am so thrilled that my E.Coli plush toy has sparked such a neat discussion! I think it’s important to remember that all of His creatures, great and small, serve a purpose. E. Coli (even the toxigenic strains) are not inherently “evil”, they just need to be honored for what they are…part of the cycle of life…member of the food chain, etc. Think of it like the Tetraodontidae (puffer fish) which is also potentially lethal to humans, if consumed incorrectly. No one would damn the adorable puffer as an inherently bad/evil creature, it just needs to be approached with caution and knowledge.

Anyhow, great discussion! Cathy – you should post the stop-motion animation you mentioned, it sounds awesome.

Ramen.

8. Darcy says:

Giant Microbes touched by His Noodliness!! Awesome. :) I have 5 of the cool little guys (athlete’s foot, algae, krill, brain cell, and pox), and hadn’t noticed the resemblance of this one till now. Guess I’ll have to add it to the collection!

1 2 3