Microscopic Effigy

Published September 6th, 2012 by Bobby Henderson

SmallButMighty

I stumbled upon this microscopic effigy of the FSM.  His Noodly Appendages are made of gold nanowires, 100 nm in diameter, and His Meatballs are silicon nanoparticles, ~1500 nanometers in diameter, coated with gold.

Photo source: nanowerk news

May you all be touched by His (tiny) Noodly Appendage.

RAmen,

Adam

PS – the description of the photo from the website:

Nano Spaghetti and Meatballs Colorized and overlaid scanning electron microscope images of Spaghetti and Meatballs made out of Au and Si. The ‘spaghetti’ is a collection of electrodeposited Au nanowires, 100 nm in diameter, that have released from the substrate and bundled together (Thomas Cornelius – GSI Darmstadt). The ‘meatballs’ are Si nanoparticles, ~1.5 um in diameter, with Au nanocrystals on the surface that were grown on carbon-coated substrates using ultra-high vacuum molecular beam epitaxy (Gunther Richter – MPI Stuttgart). These images highlight some of the many varied structures that can be formed at the nanoscale. (Image: Blythe G. Clark and Dan Gianola)

32 Responses to “Microscopic Effigy”

1. Rudson says:

Is incridble and facinating the way of our god FSM really prove yourself, diferente of the acient god, we don’t need to tell a lot of crap to make other believe in our god as cristians does.
    I live in Brazil, and after my conversion to pastafarians my life has change, i’m free now, thanks Pastafarian Religion, thaks my great lord Flying Spaghetti Monster.

• Lord Vetinari says:

*Christians

Sorry Brother, but we wouldn’t want to appear stupid in front of the other religions.

• Rudson says:

As the some way that your god don’t appears to you.
        You just beleave that all those things was maded by your
        stupid and crazy murderer babys god, as the some guy
        that promisse destroy all the world arroud us just becouse
        he does it.
        Your idea stink bro, and its a violence against all the human rights,
        if your god appear, he must be arrested. I chose my god to defend
        in the case FSM and your chose your in the case god, but FSM don’t
        ask to kill babes as your does, the FSM don’t ask to rape virgins as
        your does, if you ar prepared to kill and rape, than you aready is a
        killer and a rapper, and a lot of things that just bad people does,
        independent of your idea propose, the way of your god is murderer.

• Insightful Ape says:

RAmen Rudson.

• Atsap Revol says:

CAPS ON PURPOSE FOR EMPHASIS

Please, Bobby and our site monitor, can’t something be done to eliminate the spambots? They have taken over this website. They destroy the fun of visiting here. I think this wholesale spamming may be an effort of the religious right. If it is, then FSM Damn them! Let’s send them a nasty virus to chew the heart out of their computers.

AR

• Wayne says:

Done, as far as trawling and removing is concerned. His Noodliness lent me many Appendages.

Outside that mate, it is down to the filtering system. I have had some computer and availability issues of late, I must apologise.

Sauce Be With You!

• Reverend Captain Mal says:

Do you need or want some help?

• Wayne says:

Mal, if it was up to me I would be happy to have you on board, and thanks, but that decision remains with the Prophet Bobby.

• Atsap Revol says:

Thanks Wayne. Your efforts to keep this site free of crap are deeply appreciated.

May the Holy FSM bless you and keep you, my friend.

Atsap Revol

2. Helloworld says:

God particle, I think.

3. Wayne says:

Since my strand of science is geodesy, I might be missing something here but am I to understand that the gold has been created here? If so, that’s pretty impressive….

Only extreme forces and the FSM can create gold. I would, therefore, have to conclude that He has, once again, Touched the physical process that underwrote this wonderful process.

• N Kalanaga says:

No, the gold wasn’t created there, which would be a neat trick. “Molecular beam epitaxy” basically uses a beam of atoms, in this case gold, to deposit a layer on a surface. At low enough deposition rates, the atoms self-assemble into crystals, which in turn can form quite complicated structures. A brief overview can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molecular_beam_epitaxy

• stylusmobilus says:

As long as that complicated structure resembled a 2 ounce nugget I’m fine with that. However, I think I might still have better luck with my traditional method of pan, classifier, puddling bin, sluice and gold bearing creek.

The advantages of living above a goldfield that at one stage was the second most productive in the world…

• N Kalanaga says:

Yes, you probably will have better luck. And, since the process requires a supply of gold to begin with, they’ll have to come to YOU for the raw materials!

• stylusmobilus says:

Yes, I have a bit gathered up now, most of it is fine gold mixed with pyrites which needs to be processed but I have a couple of little nugs.

4. Ameil says:

This guy seems to claim that he has atheism debunked.

Could somebody hell debunk him

• Keith says:

I went to the buybull has not changed section where he virtually says that the buybull is true because the buybull says so. That was enough for me.

• TiltedHorizon says:

One cannot argue within the confines of reality with someone who is free to make up facts with impunity.

• The Reverend Toni Rigatoni says:

I too went to the site and had a look. I immediately noticed that despite comments being encouraged, none were displayed, not on any of the pages and pages of crap that resides there. One would expect that such rubbish would attract myriad responses, the fact that none were shown would suggest that the owner of the site doesn’t want to enter into discourse with anyone that disagrees with his view. It took me an afternoon but I replied to all his assertions and repeatedly called him out to defend his position, I even invited him here so as to keep his own site free of atheist dissent if that was what he wanted. Time will tell I guess but my bet will be that he/she will remain in the trees sniping at any passing rational thinker.
      I would suggest that you all have a look at the rubbish that is posted and leave comments as requested and see if the god-bod has the courage of his convictions.

May the Sauce be with you

The Reverend

• Keith says:

I just took a look at the individual sections of the site. There were no comments listed so I imagine that your replies have been removed, Toni. The fellow doesn’t seem to put forward any arguments to support his views so I’m nor going to bother with him.

• stylusmobilus says:

And I had a dig at him for not posting them.

• Keith says:

Under the Christianity section where he’s talking about Christians being peaceful he provides a link entitled “God of the Bible not cruel”. I clicked on it only to get an advice that the page does not exist. That just about sums everything up I think.

• TheFewTheProudTheMarinara says:

God not cruel? “”Every living substance that I have made will I destroy.” – God, Genesis 7:4
          That’ll teach all those evil chipmunks!

5. Ann says:

In case you have not seen my comment Mr. Reverend Toni Rigatoni, I would like to tell you that I have not deleted your post as you accused me. I have answered them and am still in the process. You will now see them in my website.

• The Reverend Toni Rigatoni says:

Thank you Ann, I will take a look.

May the Sauce be with you

The Reverend

• TiltedHorizon says:

I wonder what the made up answers will be?

• The Reverend Toni Rigatoni says:

Go and have a look Tilted, as you would expect, mostly reiteration of the same garbage. I have responded to her responses and look forward to more lively debate! At least she had the balls to respond so kudos to her for that. But we are all still bound for hell it would seem, our damned unreasonable belief in evolution to blame apparently.

The Rev

• TiltedHorizon says:

I took a look, same crap, different day. But I left a comment anyway, since I have nothing better to do till hell comes. I am waiting for it to appear.

• Keith says:

Same old sordid argument: God is right because god is the only authority and is beyond our comprehension. If he wasn’t such a bloody egotist he’d make it clear that he exists. All he does if give “clues” in the form of pretentious pronouncements and arrogant assertions. These “I’m out to save you ” characters really piss me off because of their sickly sweet Disney attitude is that every situation can be fixed with a song written by mindless twats. It turns me farther and farther away from religion of all forms and makes me think that Satanism has a more practical approach to life.

• TiltedHorizon says:

Seem our gracious host is loosing her grace, now taking to name calling, it took so little to get her to cast JC’s ‘teachings’ out the window.

6. h20logger says:

When I was a young lad in the Geosciences department of a mid-western University, some littoralist Christians left a bunch of pamphlets about ID and creationtology. I was advised by a wise professor to go ahead and read the pamphlet, but then I should just throw it away and get back to hydrogeology.

The Christians trapped by a littoral interpretation of a story book written by people who had a primarily allegorical tradition have always bothered me. I lack the eloquence or the patience to knock down their floating houses of cards because they are magical (they re-form with less support than they started with).

While I truly appreciate the sacred work that you are doing WRT the defense of science, I am perplexed by your choice of dance partners. Ann can debunk anything you say by capitalizing the word TRUTH. (Jedi internet trick).

Peace be with Y’all