Japanese manhole cover looks familiar

Published August 31st, 2012 by Bobby Henderson

manholecover

Jinnger spotted this Japanese manhole cover.  Could this be the FSM?  What’s the significance?

40 Responses to “Japanese manhole cover looks familiar”

1. jackson noodle says:

Good

2. Mishima says:

Hello, I am Japanese.
    It is a fu-rin (wind chime). This is a bell hung under the eaves of the house in summer in Japan.
    Japanese felt taste by hearing the sound by wind ting-a-ling, from the old time.
    I am a Japanese believer of FSM. Say hello to all of you!

• Julia Avery Littlejohn says:

Konichiwa Mishima,

I only speak a little Japanese. Thank-you for telling us about Fu-rin (wind chime). Why is the picture of Fu-rin
      put on a manhole cover? Is it on all manhole covers or just in one city? By the way, I love everything about
      Japan because I lived in Shibuya & Setagaya-ku, Tokyo as a child (1953-1966).

3. Chen-An says:

It’s called 纏(まとい,matoi), is an object used in Edo period Japan by firemen to notify people of a fire nearby or within a building, and the ribbons under it could show the wind direction to know where the fire goes. It was put on the nearby roof of the burning building by the “matoi holder”. Each different group of firemen in the Edo period had their own matoi to identify themselves. In modern Japan, the matoi is only used for ceremonial purposes.
    You can view it from WIKI’s Japanese page.

4. Eureka says:

Hi, I’m a Japanese too.
    The letters under the picture read “Hydrant”, so I suppose that’s not a wind chime but Matoi, an instrument used by Japanese firemen in the Edo period.

• Mishima says:

To Chen-An, Eureka
      It is my mistake! Thank you!
      May the FSM force be with you.

• Keith says:

Thanks to all of you people from Japan for explaining things. Incidentally, do Japanese Pirates use Turtle Ships? I don’t think there is any FSM literature on Japanese Pirates.

5. Ninja Panda says:

Cool.

6. HoaiPhai says:

While I don’t wish to contradict our Japanese brothers and/or sisters, I humbly suggest that this is a gate to Spaghetti Hell. The object depicted on the “manhole cover” is a scrubbing brush in the Eternal Dishwasher of Fate where sinners are banished to forever-and-a-day of steamy-hot humidity and exposure to detergents.

• Keith says:

Now THAT is theology!

7. Pat says:

For anyone interested – here are several fascinating links about the old Edo firefighters. One reason they used the matoi standards is to identify their groups, as several bands of fire fighters might be in the vicinity. They also got rewards.

I think the matoi are definitely a pre-revelation manifestation of His Noodly Appendages. They just didn’t know it yet.

8. larsnelle says:

Scary. I was not even aware of a spaghetti hell.

• Julia Avery Littlejohn says:

I think it is more likely that it is FSM Spaghetti Heaven, an underground passageway to an, all you can eat, spaghetti buffet restaurant, including all you can eat…wait for it…RAMEN!! ….BANZAI! (“ten thousand years to the Emperor.”)