Greetings from Bulgaria

Published January 23rd, 2012 by Bobby Henderson

manual

Here you can see my new “Manual of genetics and selection of domestic animals” (in Bulgarian language) with Our Lord on the cover.

Of course I understand that it is only a small step to enlarge the number of His followers and to thank FSM for creation of the Ultimate Universe, but I really want eternal life in Pastafarian Heaven very hard.
Ramen!

Andrey Kurtenkov, DVM, PhD

Head of the Bulgarian Pastafarian Church

Credit to Almighty Doer of Stuff, and his partner Ashley for their wonderful flag in the top right hand corner of the picture on the Manual’s cover.

32 Responses to “Greetings from Bulgaria”

1. ADoS says:

Um, excuse me? That is my fucking flag with my fucking nose on it. So Bobby won’t take emails from me, but he’ll gladly put up stuff that was stolen from me without credit? How rude! >:(

• maleberto says:

Don’t be surprised… you know: we are pirates. Do you think that Henry Morgan asked someone before taking the city of Panama?

• nun s equator says:

o ok.

well in that case, must we now pursue copyrighting all original ideas?

…such as, our jesus as vampire© idea…circa 2011-12

or vampire as jesus©®
        ¿

whom came up with nosferatu?

nosferatu as jesus©&
        vice verse J as N ©…

pirates as jesus, we never ever considered…

• ADoS says:

You don’t have to “pursue” copyright. You don’t even need to have a copyright notice on the work. Any time you create an original, creative work, from the moment of its creation, you have copyright over it. But for what it’s worth, my (admittedly outdated) personal website from which he stole my old Jolly Roger ( http://awos.ermarian.net/aboutme/ ) has a copyright notice on the bottom, which indicates that everything on that page was created by me somewhere between the years of 2005 and 2009, which means I and my heirs have complete control over who gets to use it and in what way, until 70 years after my death.

Even the photograph in which I appear is copyright to me, because although I didn’t snap the picture (a helpful museum employee did), I personally dictated the pose and position in which Ashley and I would be standing, and from which angle the shot would be made, making me the creative designer of the work.

The only thing which would not normally be copyright to me is the FSM on my old flag, which was based on a pencil sketch my fiancée, Ashley, drew for me, making it a derivative work. However, Ashley has granted me permission not to credit her and in fact has encouraged me NOT to do so, making the prerogative to credit or not credit her, mine and hers.

Any other questions about U.S. copyright law?

—–

Anyway, what bugs me more than the fact that my personal Jolly Roger, created to signify my own personality, is being used without my authorization and without credit, is that this is being done while Bobby routinely ignores all communication I try to send to him because one time several years ago, I said something to him that he didn’t like. I had to get another website regular to email him about this issue for me, so hopefully the email won’t be ignored.

• The Reverend Toni Rigatoni says:

ADoS, whilst I have to admit that I’m far from an expert on copyright law, I would question your right to include the image of the FSM and then copyright it. I have checked out your (slightly self indulgent) website and can see no acknowledgement to Bobby for the use of the image that he owns, yet you whine that someone else is using yours. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone my friend.

May the Sauce be with you,

The Reverend

• ADoS says:

Rev. Toni Rigatoni:

I did in fact link to this website above my old Jolly Roger, and the depiction of the FSM on that flag is considered “tribute” and is thus copyright to me. “Parody” is another similar situation. For instance, Mickey Mouse and his likeness are copyright and trademarked to The Walt Disney Company. However, South Park depicted Mickey Mouse, as a parody, deliberately trying to sexualize prepubescent girls and violently beating the Jonas Brothers. The Walt Disney Company cannot sue South Park for doing this, as it is considered parody.

• ADoS says:

Likewise, in the musical genres of hip hop and electronica, artists will often “sample” other artist’s songs, or in other words, copy parts of those other artists’s copyrighted songs and make money off them royalty-free. There is a long tradition of doing this, and the courts have consistently ruled in favor of these sampler artists despite lawsuits from the samplees, because it is considered “tribute”.

• ADoS says:

I’m sure there are limits as to how far you can copy another artist’s work before it is considered copyright infringement or trademark infringement and I’m not sure what those limits are, but I’m fairly certain my flag is not in violation of such.

• ADoS says:

Anyway, Bobby has told my friend that he will take this image down when he gets around to updating the site, and that he is in fact not deliberately ignoring my emails but simply doesn’t have time to respond to every email he gets, and I guess it’s just a coincidence that all my emails happen to be in the “no time” category. Anyway, it makes me feel better that the Holy Prophet doesn’t hate me. :D

I’m sorry about the accusations, Bobby.

• ADoS says:

Also, I agree my personal website is self-indulgent. It’s just a means for me to post my assorted crap I make for the sake of showing my friends. I’m not aiming to become famous or rich or anything.

• nun s equator says:

ADOS, u need not have lofty aspirations 2 promote ur own work & ideas. If u share it with people for profit or not as a hobbyist or volunteer, u should not b ashamed regarding the sale or valuation of your stuff.

we have had artwork stolen from off this device…files omitted, it is not clear the destination. any attornies in the vicinity, we prob need a consult (4 more than that)…

• lolhoofd says:

i woud be honred if somone woud use a personilsed moto, flag or life goal

its means its good enof, share it with us :)

• tekhedd says:

ADoS is entirely correct, and right to be angry at the use of the design without permission, compensation, or attribution. The Berne convention is respected (at least on paper) in all civilized countries and also the US.

I’d be upset.

Because the FSM image is original, the “sampling” comparison is irrelevant. The sampling defense is wrong though; people who sample anything recognizable are supposed to pay royalties and clear it with the original creator. This FSM is very very recognizable…but this is irrelevant as he did not copy the actual art. (You didn’t, right?) Trademark issues are your only potential issue here, and I think it’s OK on the trademark side.

So my point is: ADoS didn’t defend himself particularly well here but he’s still right. OK?

But WHY? Why did the authors of this book, on animal breeding, choose *that* image?

• nun s equator says:

The Berne convention is respected, says tekkhed

so tekkhed, what do u kno of computer/electronic device hackings, anything?
          & whom is bernie & what is this convening all about?

• ADoS says:

Thanks, tekhedd.

I’m suffering from a bout of mania, so my thoughts are a bit scattered. But that FSM image was a stylized copy of a freehand pencil sketch my fiancée drew, as I said, not copied from an image I found in a book or on the Internet or anything like that.

2. ADoS says:

Not to mention that that FSM was drawn by my fiancee, Ashley. She didn’t get credit either.

3. nun s equator says:

this is bul alright…but not garia.

Man-in-the-middle attack

Not to be confused with Meet-in-the-middle attack.

In cryptography, the man-in-the-middle attack (often abbreviated MITM), bucket brigade attack, or sometimes Janus attack, is a form of active eavesdropping in which the attacker makes independent connections with the victims and relays messages between them, making them believe that they are talking directly to each other over a private connection, when in fact the entire conversation is controlled by the attacker. The attacker must be able to intercept all messages going between the two victims and inject new ones, which is straightforward in many circumstances (for example, an attacker within reception range of an unencrypted Wi-Fi wireless access point, can insert himself as a man-in-the-middle).

A man-in-the-middle attack can succeed only when the attacker can impersonate each endpoint to the satisfaction of the other—it is an attack on mutual authentication. Most cryptographic protocols include some form of endpoint authentication specifically to prevent MITM attacks. For example, SSL authenticates the server using a mutually trusted certification authority.

• Mal says:

What?!?

• The Reverend Toni Rigatoni says:

Mal! Don’t even try to comprehend, that way lies insanity!

• nun s equator says:

LoL..

our device was hacked; the display end here has not always accurately reflected what is on the site.

• nun s equator says:

i really did not LOL there, so that was not fitting…as 2 the counsel, i oughtta hav inserted th caveat that were i 2 loc8 1..itd do not much good, as i trust nobody @ this pt, regardless of belief base or lack thereof.

• TiltedHorizon says:

LOL…

I was starting to think I had acclimated to Nun’s contributions as most of the time I can find the tangent line to the curves in her logic. This post still has me guessing though.

• nun s equator says:

U make me sound far more curvaceous & nuanced than i actually am…maybe some1 hacked ur device?

4. matt says:

Tova e strahotno!

I was a missionary in Bulgaria about 10 years ago, so this amuses me to no end. I hope you have more success than I did…

Ramen.

• nun s equator says:

a pastafarian missionary? i wouldve guessed they were already ingesting pasta, there…

5. polander says:

i wanna boast that in my wonderful country the church of fsm has been legalised. In Poland pasta wins. All the legal actions has been already finished. hurra. viva la polonia!!! viva el spaghetti

6. Ubi Dubium says:

ADOS, I immediately recognized your avatar!

I think it’s pretty cool that a book in Bulgaria has your nose on it. I think Andrey was paying you a compliment. I don’t have any foreign books with my nose on them! Just enjoy it.

• ADoS says:

First of all, nobody in their right mind would put some dumbass’s Jolly Roger on a legitimate textbook. Our missionary here probably just photoshopped it on. And I’m not going to enjoy it, because A) I wasn’t credited for my work, as is my right, and B) Bobby still has neither responded to my email, nor to my request to take it down, which he told Qwerty he would do several days ago. I’m just as insulted by the fact that someone else is getting credit for my work, as I am that I’m not able to submit my own work, for credit or otherwise, and have it put up on the site.

I don’t even care if this gets taken down anymore, really, as It’s generated some interesting discussion, although a credit on the front of the article instead o just in the comments thread would be nice. I just want the respect I deserve.

• Wayne says:

Done!

• tekhedd says:

If that’s photoshop, it’s darn good work, with the glare and the RGB camera noise added in.

• Wayne says:

And btw…I recognised it as well, and went on to think…’rrrrr, Cap’n ADoS be a Bulgarian Buccaneer…’

7. ADoS says:

Thanks, Wayne. I’m still a bit bitter about Bobby not replying to any of my seven or so emails I’ve sent since 2006, but I guess I’ll have to deal with it, and get someone he likes to email him anything cool I find from now on. :/