David Attenborough Vs. Creationism

Published September 25th, 2011 by Bobby Henderson

Sir David Attenborough

The Telegraph has an article about my all-time favorite Naturalist, Sir David Attenborough, and the campaign he’s joined to combat religion in science.

The naturalist joined three Nobel laureates, the atheist Richard Dawkins and other leading scientists in calling on the government to tackle the "threat" of creationism.

Andrew Copson, chief executive of the BHA, said: "Evolution is probably the most important idea underlying biological science and we support the view of many experts that it should be introduced right from primary level in all state-maintained schools.

"At the same time, the threat of creationism and ‘intelligent design’ being taught as science is real and ongoing, particularly as more and more schools are opened up to be run by religious fundamentalists.

"It has never been more urgent for concrete steps to be taken to ensure that all state schools teach evolution, and not creationism, and we urge the Government to implement the simple and sensible measures suggested in this new statement."

I love that Sir David Attenborough has gotten involved.  I worry when the ones who make a stand come off as petty and one-dimensional.   David Attenborough is such a likeable guy, and his work so accessible … I think a whole lot of people are all the sudden going to want to listen.

Here is my favorite video from Mr. Attenborough’s Planet Earth:

24 Responses to “David Attenborough Vs. Creationism”

1. Keith says:

From the hate mail that comes in it is clear that if a god exists, it has no sense of humour. Birds like the Bird of Paradise, penguins, ducks and birds that launch themselves at pigs are hilarious: ergo, they could not have been the product of any god.

2. Tony Allen says:

It’s like the male bird is the clergyman and the female did’nt get screwed by his show.

3. darkstar says:

David Attenborough is my favorite naturalist as well. The Planet Earth series should most certainly be watched with his narration instead of the very poor overdub that Sigorney Weaver did for the American version. Good for him for stepping up to the plate on this very important issue.

• Drained and Washed Clean says:

She was really bad. Very dry. I didn’t know there was another option! That is awesome! I will have to see if I can get that. I stopped watching the series because I couldn’t stand her, but I loved the idea behind the show.

• Dionaea says:

You definitely should, David Attenborough is one of the best (if not THE best) narrator around, he knows to capture your attention and keep it to the end of each episode :) I own the “Blue Planet” series as well and can recommend that one too.

• Dionaea says:

Did they at least leave the bits about evolution in? If that’s the case you’re better off than we are with the dutch dub, they got rid of all the evolutionary comments and didn’t even air an episode which was heavily leaning on the theory of evolution. It sucks when stuff like this is aired and dubbed by a religious channel :[ Of course I prefer to watch the original version myself, but when I was a kid I used to watch all sorts of documentaries and they tought me a lot. I think this sort of censorship shouldn’t be allowed…

4. mouse says:

Kudos to David,
    sorry for the bird.
    RAmen

5. puppygoogoo says:

David i must say is one of my idols and quite regularly i have a night where i watch a doco or two of his. I wonder which religious nut is going to try and slander/argue with David. They’re crazy if they do. That bird bit makes me laugh every time.

RAmen

puppygoogoo

6. Omnipotent Zombie says:

The other day while wandering aimlessly about my university, someone asks “want a cookie?” “why not?” i say. I recieve a wrapped cookie in hand and notice a flier attached to it. here’s what is says:

“Evolution… Have you ever heard the other side? A geologist weighs the facts of science. This series will demonstrate the scientific implausibility of Darwinian evolution (the theory of universal common descent.)
    This is a 7 week, one night a week series. Q&A will take part at the end of part 7.”

7 weeks? and only 1 Q&A session? First of all, that’s alot of creationist propaganda i will have to endure and only get one Q&A session to refute it all? Quite clever on their part. The biggest problem, aside from enduring the 7 sessions, comes from my what topics the speaker may cover. I am a bio-medical major, but if the speaker goes on to other areas such as geology, i am concerned that I would be unable to scientifically call them on their bluffs.

Coincidentally, this geologist has yet to be named. here is the website (http://www.thenetyoungadults.com/) . I think they still have the recordings from the last anti-evolution session in archive as well.

• Rev. wulff says:

IMHO, having a geologist debunk evolution is like having an astrologist debunk nuclear physics.

What school is this? Can we start a campaign to get these nuts escorted off campus?

• Omnipotent Zombie says:

To be fair, the university I attend also has a humanist/freethinker organization as well. this is only my second semester since I transferred here, and I’m barely finding out about said humanist/freethinker organization.
        I must also note that the christian organization coordinating the event is pretty nice and even tempered, unlike say that Westboro lot and most hate mailers that frequent this website. So, I have some worry that they may charm some individuals to the intellectual darkside. (before I forget.. I attend Corpus Christi A&M University.)

• Omnipotent Zombie says:

*Texas A&M University Corpus Christi*

• puppygoogoo says:

This is one course i want on itunes u. I think it could be in the comedy section…..Also have you considered the mens bible study group? could be fun to confuse a few people.

puppygoogoo

• Omnipotent Zombie says:

Arrgh, plunderin’ the mens bible study group would make for a fine tale over some fine grog.

But seriously, I do plan in making at least one of these sessions. If only Tuesday nights weren’t my homework catch up night.

• Amanda says:

It’s definitely worth it to sit in on a session and they end at 9 so there’s plenty of time after for homework or whatever.

• Amanda says:

The geologist is available for anyone with questions, concerns, rebuttals, etc. after each session. There is not an official Q&A after every session simply for the sake of time.

• Gnostradamus says:

Whle you’re at it, can you get a legit biologist to comment on the biology? Thanks.

7. Karen says:

The kids LOVE David Attenborough!
    He’s awesome to have in our corner.

8. nun sequitur says:

o my goodness, i feel sorry 4 all of the science teachers teaching evolution being the sole believer out of sometimes probably an entire school of only those in opposition to what is being taught by that one person…they must need 2 ship in from out of the area, an import evolutionist…

mr e.

Hey mr e, see u @ our annual christmas party!
    god love ya…

bless your heart…

There r religious persons whom believe in evolution. This would probably b a preferred candidate . If i were hiring for that id not rule out based on private beliefs but surely it happens or like me is found out later on…by being asked what background i m…etc