We shouldn’t live with absolute frivolity

Published August 12th, 2011 by Bobby Henderson

While life should not be taken too seriously, this doesn’t mean we should live with absolute frivolity. Yes, so-called religions attempt to mandate all sorts of opinions and behaviors about morality and social conformity. This does not mean that actual religion — the sincere attempt to understand the unknowable — is inherently stupid or necessarily bullshit.

Quantum mechanics tells us that all possibilities exist simultaneously until foreclosed by inconsistent observations. So, with regard to what we truly cannot know or observe, it’s possible that all beliefs are equally "true" and very much real. It’s an incredibly powerful thought: that we can design our own eternity simply by imagining it.

Personally, I’d want much more from my eternity than to party on a pirate ship with a bunch of beer and strippers. The ability to have that experience at any time and for any duration? Sure, that would be great. But plain old life has plenty to offer that’s much more sublime and extraordinary than simple hedonism. And it’s not even a very ambitious vision of hedonism.

World history is replete with terrible evils committed in the name of "religion." Certainly, it’s an important message that moral and social "values" should not be elevated to the level of religious beliefs. But our ability as humans to recognize the fundamental unknowable questions — where are we from, why are we here, and where are we going — creates a fundamental human need to discuss and confront these questions.

Pastafarianism does indeed celebrate the power of the individual to choose his or her own answers to these questions. Some might like the idea of choosing answers that are deliberately silly or absurd. But to do so simply to make a point about the beliefs of others is to degrade and dishonor one’s own spirit.

-Tom

936 Responses to “We shouldn’t live with absolute frivolity”

1 23 24 25
  1. Jesus Lover says:

God is Real, better believe it. Trust god :D

• Rev. Wulff says:

FSM is Real-er, believe that! Trust FSM :(-

• Captain Birdseye says:

Seems you want people to believe in YOU. Keep thumping your book, it’s bound to work, it says so in the book……uh?

• SillyKiwiMan says:

No he’s not.

See? I can just state things too. It’s a fun game.

Sometimes, hot snow falls up. There’s no evidence for this, but I’m claiming to have experienced it and you can’t prove me wrong. Respect my stupidity!

• I before A except after K says:

That does happen. The hot snow you’re referring to is evaporated water, and it’s common knowledge that moisture gathers in the sky in the form of clouds. Amazing that even when you’re trying to be outlandishly wrong, you still somehow end up right. Clearly this is the blessing of his almighty noodliness.

• theFewtheProudtheMarinara says:

Why trust Jesus or any other “god”? Seems to me being pious doesn’t spare anyone from sickness, misery and death. If you want me to believe there’s a reward after death, prove it.

• just a guy who hates jesus says:

Your not welcome here >:(

• Finlanderboy says:

Everyone is welcome here.

I know a Jesus that eats spaghetti all the time.

Infact the the christian God worships the FSM too!

• Captain Birdseye says:

I believe that FSM actually created the Christian God. But that God doesn’t need to worship FSM, just to be cool and stop smiting people. (and to tell Creationists to get used to their fear and stop making up utter rubbish. Only FSM is immortal)

• Atheist says:

God is real? Yeah….. let’s see, people are murdered daily, oh, and my favorite, let us NOT forget the serial-killer, clearly a child of God. Oh, and 6 million Jews dying in the Holocaust? Of course God WANTED that. GOD IS BULLSHIT! Give me FSM, oh, and some grated cheese, please.

• Flying Spaghetti Monster Love says:

The Flying Spaghetti Monster is real, better believe it. Trust The Flying Spaghetti Monster :D

2. marco says:

Today it’s a holy day, it’s the day when our Lord resurrected after bein overcooked (at least that’s what I believe).

Party with us by coloring meatballs and donating them to your friends!

Buona Pasta a tutti,

Marco

3. the potato says:

That was rude to the CotFSM Tom, may His Balls be Infuriated! Much love though :)

4. Mr. Creosote says:

I’m deeply concerned by the view that we shouldn’t spend eternity partying on a pirate ship with a bunch of beer and strippers.

I feel this view of our ultimate goal is flawed and doesn’t properly examine the merits of such a party with the correct diligence. Please reconsider.

• Keith says:

In your case Mr Creosote, partying on a rolling pirate ship for eternity may be inadvisable. There may not be enough buckets to cycle through during your sea sickness phases.

• SillyKiwiMan says:

I’m slightly concerned that even OUR faith may be wrong, and there is no beer volcano or stripper factory. I have heard it said that we should make heaven on earth. I would love to be rich enough to charter a ship, fill it with beer, strippers and the Faithful, and party like the end of the world is nigh. Unfortunately I don’t have the coin, and the only way I can see to raise it is to become a televangelist.

Thing is: I don’t want to be a total arsehole, and it seems a prerequisite to becoming a televangelist.

Solutions my brethren ( and sisteren)?

• Rev. Linguine says:

Our faith is NOT wrong !!! Be strong in your faith ! televangelising the FSM would not make you an arsehole – on the contrary, since OUR religion is the ultimate salvation.

• Rev.Fedelini says:

Ramen!

• brandon says:

Ramen! all hail your noodleniss

5. Liquid vitamin a orthomol says:

It is remarkable, rather valuable phrase Orthomol Vitamine d3

6. TouchedbyNoodle says:

As a believer in His Holiness our LORD FSM, it is my duty to remain solid in the teachings of religious tolerance and science within the FSM scripture. HOWEVER, I will never accept the fact that a sadistic Jewish zombie in a dresser robe ever walked this planet. There is simply just NO PROOF. But! There is proof that He our Savior FSM does exist. He exists within my pantry and my soul, within my colander and within my bowl. He is all seeing, He is ever accepting and gracious. In His name.
    RAmen!

• Jo Switten says:

To tears moved I am, reading this! I shall, with my pirate friends, consume our Holy Noodliness tonight, with a good Belgian trappist beer on the side! And thus hoping to end global warming! R’Amen!

• Minister Bob says:

Proud am I to have been newly ordained in the ways of the Noodle. New to this odd sect I am. Speak like Yoda I must? Was he of semolinan descent?

7. YOURURL.com says:

Awesome blog you have here but I was wanting to know if you knew of any discussion boards that cover the same
    topics discussed here? I’d really like to be a part of group where I can get comments from other experienced individuals that share the same interest. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Bless you!

8. TiltedHorizon says:

meanwhile…. China produces eight times more scientists and engineers. Thank you ‘bendover’ for demonstrating the ‘why’.

9. Spammyboy says:

Good evening vaginas i had sex with your mother at the time you you were performing oral sex on your father who is having sex unintelligent.

Nope, still doesn’t make any sense, bendover. (Also, is that your real name? because you might want to consider changing it…)

10. Drained and Washed Clean says:

Totally shocking…

11. nun sequitur says:

In China there r also scientists SPLICING HUMAN GENES with that of CATTLE (moo cows) in an attempt 2 produce milk more amenable to human consumption…which ends up torturing cows & raising ethical concerns…while ramping up goats milk production could go a long way to adressing matters, to start with. WHO needs ‘god’ as unseen entity, when persons…entities in our own right, some feel a right & duty 2 tinker with ‘creation’ in this manner…& religion has nothing 2 do, with this…

12. nun sequitur says:

In reply 2 nov 7, 2011…9:10 a,

This post, appearing separately by chance; was to b posted in REPLY 2 TILTEDHORIZONS comment on China…just as posting, screen cut out & the result was as mentioned. ..attempt #3 (pressing REPLY, 2 post mentioned…under’ not live with…frivolity’- getting ERROR message)…

ack…the pet visiting our place is into something she ought not b by sounds emanating from other room…i m less concerned about cows than this @ moment, but think about what i said, please…

TILTEDs post, which this reply FAILS 2 load properly, under:

November 7, 2011 at 9:10 am

meanwhile…. China produces eight times more scientists and engineers…

13. Danger Dave says:

They also have almost 4 times the population

14. TiltedHorizon says:

Nice try converting that mess to usable English. Unfortunately a polished turd is still $#!+.

15. nunya biz says:

16. nunya biz says:

this is perfectly acceptable but my attempting to point out that religion has been permitted to supress individual freedoms in many cases is considered offensive. HOWEVER UNINTENDED. I never said that being kind & discouraging the issues from a different angle is wrong inherently, it IS well meaninged…I do not object to the intentions, but the unintended outcomes…so that if some1 lapses in following advisements, for reasons outside of religion, right or wrong, the consequences are punished by judgement ON EARTH, & any punishment in the afterlife, is just a continuation of the fact that the person died being OPRESSED & SILENCED very often, including dying of otherwise preventable diseases…but since homosexuality is a ‘sin’, or pre marital sex, just let them reap the results, right? & counsel them on their eternal souls…if u believe in life not ending @ death, which I do not neccessarily disagree with, it does not impart the right to ENCOURAGE deaths while it is widely accepted that this is somehow not @ ALL what is going on, & it is blamed on any1 opposing this cycle, instead, which is a lie perpetuating abuses… which makes it a SIN…& even if u believe god may forgive this, not is it neccessarily forgivable accross the board, since concepts of what is forgivable VARY depending on what u perceive god 2 find forgive-able…so even if a mob of persons here believe in the ‘same’ god as this mob over here, each, every individual conception will VARY in context, between individuals…
    DEATH ROW INMATES R NOT INFREQUENTLY VISITED BY MISSIONARIES & MANY CONVERT ON THEIR DEATH BEDS NEARLY…serial murderers, rapists, arsonists, etc are as entitled to believe in god, redemption as their victims probably did, or may well, have. If any of those victims wished for their assaulter to ROT in HELL, AS PUNISHMENT… THEY R NOW BY DEFINITION DENIED THEIR FINAL WISHES…if ANY sinner CAN be ‘saved’…what is to stop some1 from comitting murder if EVERYTHING they do is WASHED CLEAN in the end…what CONSEQUENCE would they then have to fear? IF u believe in justice, & ur own religious teachings, u would have 2 concede there is an imbalance. HELL does NOT neccessarily deter.

17. Yo Momma says:

Spammyboy, did you get out of the basement again? Don’t make me get the cattle prod out…

18. Wayne says:

Fixed, and double ups removed. Hope you don’t mind nun.

19. nun sequitur says:

‘Hope you don’t mind’ mind about post dups? i had 1 of these, once (mind) but that was long ago…fyi, if i try 2 link here from recent comments area, the screen reads ‘error 404′…

20. nun sequitur says:

I pressed reply 2 other comment & post, instead shows up in separate window…

21. Wayne says:

Yes, I know. It does it to me as well. Don’t know how to fix that.

22. nun sequitur says:

has any1 tried

23. nun sequitur says:

has any1 tried?

24. nun s equator says:

moo.

i have spliced cow genes with my own, in a way, by ingestion.

i have not been able 2 eat a burger since i considered it that way.

mad cow disease was not enough to deter me, tho…

25. The Voice of Reason says:

An aquaintaince of mine once said, ‘What if we are a physical manifestation of god?’ A very interesting theory, but I find religion to unlikely, however, it is an interesting thought.

26. K Russell says:

Is everybody failing to remember the fact that it’s the Chinese that decided it was a good idea to try to mate people with chimpanzees? I don’t think that is the best example to be put here. Unless you all support beastiality… but I don’t think that’s the message you’re trying to convey. nun Sequitur should let you believe in your spaghetti deity, it’s just so cute, and has nothing to do with the sicko Chinese scientists.

27. nun s equator says:

replies do not post where placed…adding 2 clutter…

28. nun s equator says:

Reply does not post where placed…
    adding
    to
    clutter

29. nun s equator says:

TESTING

30. Tasm10 says:

Exactly!! That is why religion CAN BE so dangerous, because there is time always to repent sins, commit a few more, repent again etc. That could be a flaw in having an ever forgiving deity, if you don’t like the idea of sharing your eternal afterlife with murderers, rapists et all. I wonder if they could commit crimes in the afterlife too? Perhaps the pagans got it right, especially the greeks, you p*** off the gods and you have a one way ticket to Tartarus. Yay!!

31. Drained and Washed Clean says:

It is pretty convenient, isn’t it? You can do whatever you want because you take comfort in the knowledge that your god will forgive you no matter what you do if you pray… Probably explains why there are more xtians in jail then atheists…

32. nun s equator says:

33. Carbonara Corsair says:

Aside from Pastafarianism, as someone said, every different religion is just a sense of guilt in different days of the week…

34. Pirate Smily Face says:

WHAT THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER
    .D

35. tyler says:

WTFSM!!!??!?!??!?!?!

36. nun s equator says:

“nun s equator says: January 19, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Theoretically TASM, if the people ‘repent’ they r ‘saved’ & therefore ‘worthy’ of being in ‘heaven’…there is a veiled inferrence that once u become something of an energy field vs whatever matter combination format we exist as, now, that we attain some final, perfection status…i think not.”

that being said, this is the kind of statement which gets me hated on 4 just specul8ng about. i m not pretending 2 kno what happens 2 consciousness because, its not entirely clear what consciousness is or is not. not pretending 2 have all the answers. i dont think religion & praying r only about negatives. i just cant c the specific formula as it is fitting with manson, the zodiac killer, etc. we r walking chemistry experiments, in part… i think that has something 2 do with contributing 2 some otherwise unexplained acts of violence; it just started 2 not make sense 2 me @ 1 pt, how if certain people r going 2 hell 4 doing something heinous, 4 sure, no return ticket…& u can b redeemed by repenting & get ticket 2 heaven, WHERE is the impetus, what is the ‘threat’ of hell or even, the ‘promise’ of heaven? what some texts do then is get so specific about the KEY, 2 either, which is a noble endeavor but not completely sound, perhaps. i think intangibles such as intuition, consciousness has something 2 do with spirituality & religion is a structure placed around these…ultimate justice seems 2 b main goal of all religion, but by this standard model it nearly falls apart. like me…in pieces…

37. AnneDroid says:

Where do you get that from? Nonsense! There so aren’t more Christians in jail than atheists if you count numbers practising their faith. If you base it on what they declare themselves as on admission to prison you misunderstand the stats.

38. devils right hand man says:

Most that go to jail become religious immediately. Its sad and those kids they raped to get there spend the rest of their lives hating themselves. Thank you Jesus now go fuck yourself Ramen bitch

39. The 13th Doctor says:

I don’t think so. Christians make up about 37% of people in jail. Atheists make up less than a percent. No matter how you understand the stats 2 plus 2 is still 4.

40. TiltedHorizon says:

I smell a no true scottsman fallacy. It can’t be true “if the are practicing their faith” hence by being in jail means they were never “true” Christians. Sorry to break it to you, no matter how you spin it, atheists are underrepresented in jails.

41. Tarnakk The Defender says:

Who do you suppose allows religion to do that? And are they really the only ones? Governments, Businesses, Religions, Social Groups of sufficient size – all of them act to suppress human rights and individual freedoms. Some of those freedoms (the option to torture, rape, plunder, murder) *should* be suppressed. Most others shouldn’t be. But you have to remember that even without religion, there will always be people who will act out of self interest to suppress the potential thoughts and actions of others. It’s just part of being human. Another part of being human is *resisting* those forces that try to control your life – preferably by nonviolent means. Personally, I don’t find the people applying the pressure to be objectionable. I find the people who refuse to resist objectionable.

42. Tarnakk The Defender says:

In reply to one of the underlying themes here that “Religion suppresses freedoms and is thereby objectionable”.

43. Bishop Bob of Linguine says:

Indeed- Pastafarism is totally free of guilt. May the Holy Flying Spagnetti Monster (may Sauce be upon him) grant us all the never ending pasta bowl with free bread sticks. May he grant us mind blowing diabetic coma’s and lead us to the land of Rigatoni for all eternity-
    Ra Man

44. Ms. J. L. Knutson says:

You are so mean.

His Noodly Appendage should Smite you,
    however, I believe that

Jellyfish

are close relatives to the

Flying Spaghetti Monster. Nevermind, you are probably busy with IMPORTANT STUFF. Have a good day.

1 23 24 25