1198951 Views

We shouldn’t live with absolute frivolity

Published August 12th, 2011 by Bobby Henderson

While life should not be taken too seriously, this doesn’t mean we should live with absolute frivolity. Yes, so-called religions attempt to mandate all sorts of opinions and behaviors about morality and social conformity. This does not mean that actual religion — the sincere attempt to understand the unknowable — is inherently stupid or necessarily bullshit.

Quantum mechanics tells us that all possibilities exist simultaneously until foreclosed by inconsistent observations. So, with regard to what we truly cannot know or observe, it’s possible that all beliefs are equally "true" and very much real. It’s an incredibly powerful thought: that we can design our own eternity simply by imagining it.

Personally, I’d want much more from my eternity than to party on a pirate ship with a bunch of beer and strippers. The ability to have that experience at any time and for any duration? Sure, that would be great. But plain old life has plenty to offer that’s much more sublime and extraordinary than simple hedonism. And it’s not even a very ambitious vision of hedonism.

World history is replete with terrible evils committed in the name of "religion." Certainly, it’s an important message that moral and social "values" should not be elevated to the level of religious beliefs. But our ability as humans to recognize the fundamental unknowable questions — where are we from, why are we here, and where are we going — creates a fundamental human need to discuss and confront these questions.

Pastafarianism does indeed celebrate the power of the individual to choose his or her own answers to these questions. Some might like the idea of choosing answers that are deliberately silly or absurd. But to do so simply to make a point about the beliefs of others is to degrade and dishonor one’s own spirit.

-Tom

983 Responses to “We shouldn’t live with absolute frivolity”

1. Jesus Lover says:

God is Real, better believe it. Trust god :D

• Rev. Wulff says:

FSM is Real-er, believe that! Trust FSM :(-

• Captain Birdseye says:

Seems you want people to believe in YOU. Keep thumping your book, it’s bound to work, it says so in the book……uh?

• SillyKiwiMan says:

No he’s not.

See? I can just state things too. It’s a fun game.

Sometimes, hot snow falls up. There’s no evidence for this, but I’m claiming to have experienced it and you can’t prove me wrong. Respect my stupidity!

• I before A except after K says:

That does happen. The hot snow you’re referring to is evaporated water, and it’s common knowledge that moisture gathers in the sky in the form of clouds. Amazing that even when you’re trying to be outlandishly wrong, you still somehow end up right. Clearly this is the blessing of his almighty noodliness.

• theFewtheProudtheMarinara says:

Why trust Jesus or any other “god”? Seems to me being pious doesn’t spare anyone from sickness, misery and death. If you want me to believe there’s a reward after death, prove it.

• just a guy who hates jesus says:

Your not welcome here >:(

• Finlanderboy says:

Everyone is welcome here.

I know a Jesus that eats spaghetti all the time.

Infact the the christian God worships the FSM too!

• Captain Birdseye says:

I believe that FSM actually created the Christian God. But that God doesn’t need to worship FSM, just to be cool and stop smiting people. (and to tell Creationists to get used to their fear and stop making up utter rubbish. Only FSM is immortal)

• Atheist says:

God is real? Yeah….. let’s see, people are murdered daily, oh, and my favorite, let us NOT forget the serial-killer, clearly a child of God. Oh, and 6 million Jews dying in the Holocaust? Of course God WANTED that. GOD IS BULLSHIT! Give me FSM, oh, and some grated cheese, please.

• Flying Spaghetti Monster Love says:

The Flying Spaghetti Monster is real, better believe it. Trust The Flying Spaghetti Monster :D

• Manny St. Marinara says:

God is real?

Prove it……I dare ya….I double dog dare ya…..

2. marco says:

Today it’s a holy day, it’s the day when our Lord resurrected after bein overcooked (at least that’s what I believe).

Party with us by coloring meatballs and donating them to your friends!

Buona Pasta a tutti,

Marco

3. the potato says:

That was rude to the CotFSM Tom, may His Balls be Infuriated! Much love though :)

4. Mr. Creosote says:

I’m deeply concerned by the view that we shouldn’t spend eternity partying on a pirate ship with a bunch of beer and strippers.

I feel this view of our ultimate goal is flawed and doesn’t properly examine the merits of such a party with the correct diligence. Please reconsider.

• Keith says:

In your case Mr Creosote, partying on a rolling pirate ship for eternity may be inadvisable. There may not be enough buckets to cycle through during your sea sickness phases.

• SillyKiwiMan says:

I’m slightly concerned that even OUR faith may be wrong, and there is no beer volcano or stripper factory. I have heard it said that we should make heaven on earth. I would love to be rich enough to charter a ship, fill it with beer, strippers and the Faithful, and party like the end of the world is nigh. Unfortunately I don’t have the coin, and the only way I can see to raise it is to become a televangelist.

Thing is: I don’t want to be a total arsehole, and it seems a prerequisite to becoming a televangelist.

Solutions my brethren ( and sisteren)?

• Rev. Linguine says:

Our faith is NOT wrong !!! Be strong in your faith ! televangelising the FSM would not make you an arsehole – on the contrary, since OUR religion is the ultimate salvation.

• Rev.Fedelini says:

Ramen!

• brandon says:

Ramen! all hail your noodleniss

5. Liquid vitamin a orthomol says:

It is remarkable, rather valuable phrase Orthomol Vitamine d3

6. TouchedbyNoodle says:

As a believer in His Holiness our LORD FSM, it is my duty to remain solid in the teachings of religious tolerance and science within the FSM scripture. HOWEVER, I will never accept the fact that a sadistic Jewish zombie in a dresser robe ever walked this planet. There is simply just NO PROOF. But! There is proof that He our Savior FSM does exist. He exists within my pantry and my soul, within my colander and within my bowl. He is all seeing, He is ever accepting and gracious. In His name.
    RAmen!

• Jo Switten says:

To tears moved I am, reading this! I shall, with my pirate friends, consume our Holy Noodliness tonight, with a good Belgian trappist beer on the side! And thus hoping to end global warming! R’Amen!

• Minister Bob says:

Proud am I to have been newly ordained in the ways of the Noodle. New to this odd sect I am. Speak like Yoda I must? Was he of semolinan descent?

7. YOURURL.com says:

Awesome blog you have here but I was wanting to know if you knew of any discussion boards that cover the same
    topics discussed here? I’d really like to be a part of group where I can get comments from other experienced individuals that share the same interest. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Bless you!

8. jon says:

If you believe an edible created everything your wack. Enough said.

• SillyKiwiMan says:

If you believe an insecure, vindictive, bearded old man in the clouds loves us so much he’ll damn us to eternal suffering for not believing he became his own son after knocking up a virgin and allowed himself to die horribly, only to spring back to life a few days later to make it all better, never to be seen again,

then I think that is “wack”.

Kids these days and their goofy language…

• Captain Birdseye says:

Jon, enough not said. Think about it, rather than blindly believe the rubbish that you have accepted. The Universe just is: no one created it. Why do you think that someone did? Because of what you have been told?
      The Bible was created as a political instrument; there is equal evidence for the FSM as there is for whatever you think ‘made’ everything, reads your thoughts and promises your salvation. Aaaarghhhh…

• Keith says:

Let’s be fair guys. Jon, apart from his inability to express himself properly, has not given us any information about his beliefs or non beliefs. Jon, if you are not just a drive by troll, come back and give us some information about your beliefs: then we can tear into you if need be.

• Captain Birdseye says:

What amused me, Keith, was that Christians turn their god into an edible and then eat him raw. So, an edible created everything? They don’t even cook him first. Yuck….