1198602 Views

We shouldn’t live with absolute frivolity

Published August 12th, 2011 by Bobby Henderson

While life should not be taken too seriously, this doesn’t mean we should live with absolute frivolity. Yes, so-called religions attempt to mandate all sorts of opinions and behaviors about morality and social conformity. This does not mean that actual religion — the sincere attempt to understand the unknowable — is inherently stupid or necessarily bullshit.

Quantum mechanics tells us that all possibilities exist simultaneously until foreclosed by inconsistent observations. So, with regard to what we truly cannot know or observe, it’s possible that all beliefs are equally "true" and very much real. It’s an incredibly powerful thought: that we can design our own eternity simply by imagining it.

Personally, I’d want much more from my eternity than to party on a pirate ship with a bunch of beer and strippers. The ability to have that experience at any time and for any duration? Sure, that would be great. But plain old life has plenty to offer that’s much more sublime and extraordinary than simple hedonism. And it’s not even a very ambitious vision of hedonism.

World history is replete with terrible evils committed in the name of "religion." Certainly, it’s an important message that moral and social "values" should not be elevated to the level of religious beliefs. But our ability as humans to recognize the fundamental unknowable questions — where are we from, why are we here, and where are we going — creates a fundamental human need to discuss and confront these questions.

Pastafarianism does indeed celebrate the power of the individual to choose his or her own answers to these questions. Some might like the idea of choosing answers that are deliberately silly or absurd. But to do so simply to make a point about the beliefs of others is to degrade and dishonor one’s own spirit.

-Tom

983 Responses to “We shouldn’t live with absolute frivolity”

1. Someone says:

NOT REAL YOU HAVE NO PROOF THINK ABOUT IT FLYING SPAGETTI WHO SENDS PEOPLE TO HELL REALLY?

• Someone Else says:

NOT REAL YOU HAVE NO PROOF THINK ABOUT IT GOD AND HIS SON JESUS WHO SEND PEOPLE TO HELL REALLY?

• Keith says:

1) Prove that hell exists. Don’t cite the buybull because it is just a book of uncertain provenance.
        2) Don’t shout. Shouting signifies anger and desperation: which means that you are not thinking properly.

• SillyKiwiMan says:

Or thinking at all…

• TheFewTheProudTheMarinara says:

Who said the FSM sent people to hell? Only your all-loving, all-forgiving god would do that.

• Bishop Bob of Linguine says:

I have come. For I be the Prophet of his Holiness – the great- the benificient- the tasty- Flying Spaghetti Monster- May sauce be upon him. I have arrived to save the Alfredo- I have arrived to bring Rigatoni to the planet- for I have arrived- the spawn of the Holy one- born to the Virgin Marinara. For you will hear from me.

2. Ben says:

As everyone in the USA probably knows, the Republicans are trying to insert a “Conscience Clause” to exclude birth control and abortion coverage from ObamaCare as a condition of re-opening the government. The FSM spoke to me, and told me that he made my conscience different from everyone else’s. My conscience is OK with birth control, but is against heart surgery for anyone over the age of 60 who lives south of the Mason-Dixon line. Yeah, weird, but that’s what my conscience is saying. I feel that since my conscience was given to me by The FSM, that it should be passed into law as part of the Conscience Clause. Does anyone else have a special conscience that the FSM has given them?

• Keith says:

Isn’t there some statement in the buybull that says you mustn’t see a doctor? Still, while the religious cranks are ignoring the injunctions of Leviticus against “rounding off” the side of your hair or trimming your beard they may as well selectively ignore that as well.

• Greg says:

Brilliant and true! The clarity of thought which the FSM has imparted to its disciple Ben is just STAGGERING! I enjoy worshipping in a church whose deity has a sense of humour. Not a lot of laughs in the buybull.

3. Greg Archdale says:

I’d love to see the FSM (blessed be his sauciness) depicted in an episode of “Family Guy”. Perhaps the FSM could have a fight with God and/or Jesus and/or Buddha in the style of Peter Griffin versus the Giant Chicken. This would appeal to the world view / editorial stance of the scriptwriters. Is anybody out there in a position to pitch the idea to Fuzzy Door Productions or Fox?

4. herp derp says:

this FSM Bull shit and every other religion as well as every religious debate is why I worship NOTING!!!

• SillyKiwiMan says:

Noting things can be important, but only really if the things you note are noteworthy. I don’t think I can stretch to actually worshipping noting, but I do appreciate its usefulness.

If you’re going to rant, spell properly, and read the “about” tab.

• TheFewTheProudTheMarinara says:

Noting is one of my favorite holidays! I can taste that Noting ham now.
      Tomorrow I’m going to shave, put on a cotton blend shirt, then have some coffee and bacon. That alone will offend half the world’s religious.

• Keith says:

Don’t forget to covet your neighbour’s possessions when you go out.

• TheFewTheProudTheMarinara says:

I’m better off than most of my neighbors, and sadly my neighbor’s wife isn’t hot enough to covet, either.

• Atsap Revol says:

TFTPTM, don’t forget to put cream in the coffee. (Don’t seethe a kid in its mothers milk)

• Keith says:

I had a wonderful experience this morning. Being Sunday I went to the local market and saw a setup where the stallholders had the usual pamphlets and displays about miracles, the buy-bull and the Great Pyramid. A fellow approached me and said
        “Hello, we are having a revival. You know what a revival is, don’t you?”
        “Yes”, I replied with a polite smile on my face “It’s all a load of nonsense”.
        I waited a couple of seconds for the stunned expression on his face to clear. It didn’t and he didn’t reply so I went on my way.
        Sometimes it pays to be direct instead of being clever.

• mikey says:

well done….that is as good as answering the door for the thumpers naked….talk about stunned silence hehe

• Angelic Scars says:

In their defence, coffee is vile, evil and immoral, clearly…

• Bruce (of Bruce and Susan) says:

Noting is the ancient Norse God of the FjordHorn. Ja.

5. Shannon says:

“Quantum mechanics tells us that all possibilities exist simultaneously until foreclosed by inconsistent observations.”

That’s nice, but horribly impractical in all settings but a research-based environment. While I acknowledge that science is incapable of proving or disproving a metaphysical plane of existence because that’s not what it was made for, I can’t say I approve of fully believing that every possible theory of existence must be 100% real simply because science can’t disprove it.

We are human beings, not robots or graphs. We can use basic common sense to determine that the notion of things existing beyond existence is pretty unlikely fairly easily: the definition of “real” is “having verifiable existence,” not, “hasn’t been disproved yet.”

6. billy says:

My cats name is mittens. the color blue is a myth. the poodles will one day rule the world. I am an internet troll on special occasions.

7. Maitje says:

When people who don’t know anything about quantum mechanics, try and talk about quantum mechanics.

Here’s a hint: you have no idea what your talking about.

8. Whole wheat interfaith geothermal terpsichorean says:

Party on a pirate ship with a bunch of beer and strippers ? You could do worse.