1199004 Views

We shouldn’t live with absolute frivolity

Published August 12th, 2011 by Bobby Henderson

While life should not be taken too seriously, this doesn’t mean we should live with absolute frivolity. Yes, so-called religions attempt to mandate all sorts of opinions and behaviors about morality and social conformity. This does not mean that actual religion — the sincere attempt to understand the unknowable — is inherently stupid or necessarily bullshit.

Quantum mechanics tells us that all possibilities exist simultaneously until foreclosed by inconsistent observations. So, with regard to what we truly cannot know or observe, it’s possible that all beliefs are equally "true" and very much real. It’s an incredibly powerful thought: that we can design our own eternity simply by imagining it.

Personally, I’d want much more from my eternity than to party on a pirate ship with a bunch of beer and strippers. The ability to have that experience at any time and for any duration? Sure, that would be great. But plain old life has plenty to offer that’s much more sublime and extraordinary than simple hedonism. And it’s not even a very ambitious vision of hedonism.

World history is replete with terrible evils committed in the name of "religion." Certainly, it’s an important message that moral and social "values" should not be elevated to the level of religious beliefs. But our ability as humans to recognize the fundamental unknowable questions — where are we from, why are we here, and where are we going — creates a fundamental human need to discuss and confront these questions.

Pastafarianism does indeed celebrate the power of the individual to choose his or her own answers to these questions. Some might like the idea of choosing answers that are deliberately silly or absurd. But to do so simply to make a point about the beliefs of others is to degrade and dishonor one’s own spirit.

-Tom

983 Responses to “We shouldn’t live with absolute frivolity”

1 18 19 20 21 22 26
  1. Fuck fsm says:

This is a bunch of bullshit. You guys are so copying other religions. Why are you guys gonna believe in some stupid ass pirates? In pirates of the Caribbean in doesn’t mention shit about your stupid ass fsm. Captain jack sparrow was indeed a catholic.

• SillyKiwiMan says:

Eloquent.

You fuck your sister with that mouth?

• scherben says:

Are you ok in the head? You appear to have difficulty with reality

• jonathan says:

Such gracefulness with speech from this anti-FSM post should radiate truthfulness. However, The point that an inaccurate Disney movie, featuring ghost pirates and krakens, does not mention our totally original religion, which is supported by factual evidence, is not a good one. Our religion while frowned upon by many, is at least at plausible as your own.

• Jolly Roger says:

Don’t get so upset. If the world view of, say, a Christian is based on a fairy-tale book filled with tall stories, taken as the final truth, how is that any different to argumenting against other religions based on what they saw in a Disney movie? I’d consider that very consistent!

• Carbonara Corsair says:

Dear FFSM, you can find here just a few words to support the “anyotherreligion” point of view: http://www.godisimaginary.com/i7.htm

I’d like to bring to your attention a citation from this webpage:
      “Now, look at what is happening inside your mind at this moment. I am using solid, verifiable evidence to show you that the Christian story is imaginary. Your rational mind can see the evidence. Four billion non-Christians would be happy to confirm for you that the Christian story is imaginary. However, if you are a practicing Christian, you can probably feel your “religious mind” overriding both your rational mind and your common sense as we speak. Why? Why were you able to use your common sense to so easily reject the Santa story, the Mormon story and the Muslim story, but when it comes to the Christian story, which is just as imaginary, you are not? “

• Keith says:

I imagine some “true believers” would argue that because the website was compiled specifically for arguing against christianity the author fails to see the “true” nature of their religion. They might follow up their claim with some airy fairy statements about belief and spiritual truth, perhaps also that “it comes from the heart” and that “you have to let Jesus enter your heart to really know what it’s all about”.

• UhOhSpaghettiO says:

Keith,

Maybe I’m wrong, but I have been under the impression that this website was compiled specifically for arguing not against Christianity, but against Christian beliefs (or any other religion’s beliefs) being taught in public schools.

There might be some here who feel the need to flex their muscles by belittling the religious, but in claiming undeniably that there is no God or no gods, they are proselytizing in the same manner as those who have the audacity to claim that God or gods do exist.

In the words of George Carlin, “did you ever notice that anyone who drives slower than you is an asshole, and anyone who drives faster than you is a maniac? Honk honk, c’mon asshole, get moving… whoosh… holy shit, look at that maniac!”

That’s what I like so much about Gabe. Even though he and I have differing opinions on such issues, he uses this website for honest dialogue instead of just bashing anyone who happens to hold differing views.

• Keith says:

1) The FSM website is a spinoff from the approach to the Kansas School Board to argue that religion should not be taught as a science in public schools.
          2) My statements were posted as a reply to the previous post by Carbonara Corsair , which is why they appear under the reply button.
          3) I took another look at http://www.godisimaginary.com/i7.htm. It is clearly NOT intended to argue that religious beliefs should not be taught in public schools. Its purpose is clearly and unequivocally to argue against religious belief in general and focuses its arguments primarily on christianity.
          4) The “counter arguments” I posted are quite common arguments from “true believers”. I have heard them several times when I have been collared by street peachers and cold callers and I think it highly likely that the author of “God is Imaginary” has already received such replies.

• Keith says:

preachers, not peachers

• UhOhSpaghettiO says:

My apologies, Keith. I misunderstood the subject of your post and appreciate your detailed response. I’m glad that this FSM website remains a more open-minded forum when compared to the site your post was referencing.

I’m sorry to hear that you are collared by street preachers and cold callers, that is something that I have never heard to happen to anyone I’ve known. If I found that were happening to me, and I found that I couldn’t just politely excuse myself from the situation and move on with my day, I believe that I would, without a doubt, change my number and walk home by a different route.

• Keith says:

Most of my experiences with street preachers have been on main streets outside of shopping centres. I seem to be a magnet for cadgers and god botherers: perhaps I look simple minded or weak. I could take a different route which I have no inclination to do, ignore them or brush them off, which I sometimes do, or argue with them. What I do depends very much on the state of my liver at the time.
          Cold callers in this case refers not phone callers but to those who come around out of the blue and knock on my door. It happens when I forget to lock the front gate or when I am just going out. We have recently put a sign on the gatepost advising people that we don’t want salesmen knocking at our door so hopefully they will get the message.
          As far as the “god is imaginary” site goes, the title itself should warn people who believe in a deity/ deities that it is dedicated to pulling down their ideas and would therefore be confrontational.

• Atsap Revol says:

I made and posted a very-visible sign by our doorbell button:

NO SOLICITING
          *No Salespeople
          *No Religious Literature
          *No Political Campaigning

Haven’t had a Jehovah’s Witness, a Mormon, a window salesman, or a damned political candidate bothering us since posting the sign. It’s cheaper than keeping an aggressive Rotweiler.

Atsap Revol, Cranky Old Fart

• Keith says:

If I was feeling bloody minded I would probably leave my gate unlocked just so that I could vent my spleen at the doorway. Unfortunately, despite a sign on the letter box saying “no advertising material accepted” and “authorised Australia Post mail only” we still get advertising material and political propaganda sent through Australia Post: the postman is legally obliged to deliver it no matter what crap it contains.

• Pedro Rhian says:

The whole point of the original letter was to point out that the Kansas Education authority should not teach only a single point of view. The fact that that Pastafarianism as a concept didn’t occur until 2005, whereas PotC was set pre-1700s, didn’t go anywhere near that pile of dysfunctional and near-incoherent pile of swear words you refer to as your brain, did it?

2. Elijah says:

These FSM faggets need to understand that there is only one God. God is not stupid. He wouldn’t create something stupid like the flying spaghetti monster. What is the purpose of this religion? i don’t understand what you even worship about this thing.

• Rev. Wulff says:

Proof once again that ignorance and intolerance walk hand in hand among the fundies.

• Atsap Revol says:

Welcome back Rev. Wulff. We’ve missed your thoughtful posts. Yes, Ignorance and Intolerance walking along accompanied by Self Righteousness. Is this the Trinity we hear Christians talking about?

• TheFewTheProudTheMarinara says:

It’s not easy to walk hand in hand when your knuckles are dragging. (Note to fundies: that was an evolution reference).

• TiltedHorizon says:

What are “faggets”? Did you mean “faggots”? Note the “o” instead of an “e”. I thought I’d point it out as I am sure god would not create something stupid like a person who can’t correctly spell his own vitriol.

Feer not, you is scared me to deaf wit youare wordz. I sea the err of me wayz, lawd fogive me.

• Keith says:

I’m sure that if Elijah would step out of his swamp for a minute and leave his sister alone he might have time to read the “about” page.

• scherben says:

You’re a fucking knobhead

3. Erica says:

You would have to be mentally ill to believe in this crap. Do you faggets really think there is a floating Spaghetti Monster out there? FSM believers should stop believing this crap and get a life, or go die in a hole. This is the stupidest thing I have EVER heard in my life? Who disagrees??

• TiltedHorizon says:

“You would have to be mentally ill to believe in this crap.”

Which makes you ‘mentally ill’. Hint: “About” page.

• The Reverend Toni Rigatoni says:

Who disagrees Erica? Every sane, rational thinking person on this planet. Sadly though, that’s not as many as one would imagine. It is a stupid question though, after all, this is the FSM website so most of the people you are adressing the question to supports this ‘crap’. Nice touch with the ‘die in a hole’ thing, that’s a new one. I would however suggest you stop believing in YOUR crap otherwise you will die having spent YOUR life in a hole; a huge black hole of ignorance, superstition and fear. Thank you for your concern but we do have lives, and lives not controlled by a fantasy as yours almost certainly is.

May you be touched by his Noodly Appendage and His Sauce be with you always.

The Reverend

• The Reverend Toni Rigatoni says:

Sorry Erica, I should have realised from your post that you do not claim any religious beliefs and I understand that you may not be a fundie as I assumed, however you are correct when you say that belief in crap is a mental illness, the ironic thing is that it is only other peoples crap that is a display of insanity, one’s own crap is exempt it seems. That’s inarguably true of all other earthly religions so why not ours?

May the Sauce be with you,

The Reverend

• Alphy says:

Amen, Reverend Toni

I recently met a “fagget” who told me that not only did he believe in airy fairies but he recently ‘personal relationship’ with a fellow traveler who claims to be his own father and son who impregnated his own vigin mother by his spirit before he was conceived who died and came back from the dead who floated up to some airy fairy place called heaven on clouds that’s ran by a bunch of religious neurotic closet “faggets”. He also sees burning bushes that speak, has visions and walks on water. Nothing stupid about that. Aye, Erica?

No nonsense, no stupidity, no delusion here, Aye?

4. Elijah says:

Wow just wow

• Les says:

Hmm, seems a lot of energy being used up in order to prove points. Still now sure why its needed. Personally I am just happy to be here.

• Les says:

Make that still not sure…sorry.

5. girlpants says:

<*)))<

(\_/)
    (o.o)
    (___)0

• Horrible Asp says:

(.Y.)
      ) (
      ( v )

6. THISISCRAP says:

i was just looking up weird stuff and came across this; come on! this has got to be a fucking joke! I mean, seriously, flying spaghetti monster? complete crap, even more so than most other religions. I kind of think this whole site is a hoax, considering there is a section dedicated to hate mail? just asking for people to say what i’m saying now.

• Keith says:

Try reading the “about” page: or is reading too difficult for you?

• Apprentice Frederic says:

How about splitting Hate Mail into separate sections for people who do / don’t move their lips when they read????

• Keith says:

A good point: except that some of these posters may have mandibles or beaks instead of lips. (How to parrots talk without lips? Have the creationists figured that one out?)

• Zyxw says:

You’re all so stupid!!!! Who believes on some stupid pile of noodles anyway??!! Jesus Christ is THE ONLY THE WAY, THE TRUTH, & THE LIFE!!!!!!! If I find another one of your idiotic posters about how some Flying Spaghetti Monster died for my sins, we’re going to have some serious problems! Get it? Got it? Good.

• SillyKiwiMan says:

Well I’m just terrified of Zyxw. Shaking in my boots no less. Besides, I’ve actually seen piles of noodles& as opposed to a vengeful sky-fairy. (although his holy noodliness is in fact invisible) Also, one of the basics of Pastafarianism is that this is all an accident. Unintelligent design no less. Looks like Zyxw can’t work out an “about” tab either, but what can you expect from those who need invisible friends.

Zyxw, I was just wondering what sort of “trouble” we’ll have? This, in case you missed it, is a website. What the hell do you think you can do? Don’t bother threatening me with hell. That’s like a hippy saying that they’ll punch you in your aura. Not very scary. Besides, I’m getting in first. You’ll have stale beer & diseased strippers. Still a step up from your heaven full of preachy arseholes with stupid wings & halos.

• Keith says:

Zyxw: If you don’t like reading about our beloved FSM the answer is simple. Don’t log on to this site. If you do want to publish your bile then at least make it worth reading.

• Alphy says:

Zyxw, our beloved Flying Spaghetti Monster boiled for your sins. He even rose from the dead after being boiled to death. He is true God. Risen himself from the dead. He will forgive you for your hateful bile if you fall on your knees and ask his forgiveness. You can have his instantaneous salvation for a life time of sin if you only believe on him. It’s even better than the fundie’s false instantaneous salvation. Imagine – Zap! spoof! instant salvation! No act of contrition or turning from your sinfulness is necessary. Saved from a life time of sin in one instant. Whow! Even if you beat your wife and children everyday and were a narrow minded hateful bigot. Our beloved Flying Spaghetti Monster offers instantaneous salvation to all who fall on their knees and repent to him. You will be blinded by his light just like ST. Paul. You will see a great flash of light you will shake and tremble. Some times it’s TLE (Temporal lobe Epilepsy) but you can be sure that it’s just the power of our beloved God and Savior, our beloved Flying Spaghetti Monster cleansing your sin sick soul. Our beloved Flying Spaghetti Monster is “THE ONLY THE WAY, THE TRUTH, & THE LIFE!!!!!!! ”

Hallelujah, may his Holy Noodliness forever be praised. Amen! Glory be to our bloved FSM!

• TheFewTheProudTheMarinara says:

Zyxw, I’ve gotta give your Jeebus a giant FAIL. Showing up in the desert during a time people rarely traveled 25 miles from home (except to wage war) and there was no media was the poorest choice to spread an important message like, oh, I don’t know – eternal salvation? If he was serious he’d see his rating slipping and come back. Start it off with a huge miracle, like make Pat Robertson confess to being a charlatan. Or maybe have all the Westboro Baptists’ heads explode.

• Atsap Revol says:

If the Bible is God’s best effort at informing humans of His redeeming grace, abiding love, and route to salvation, I score this work at D-, possibly F. As tFtPtM pointed out, sending His son to a backward desert location to update us on His revised plan for salvation was not smart. If He is really serious about this whole thing, a Personal five-minute spot on CNN or YouTube would reach nearly everyone.

Atsap Revol, Bishop of Blasphemy

• TheFewTheProudTheMarinara says:

If you’re going to send such an important message to the entire human race – not just a chosen few – why not put some permanent, irrefutable message out there, like arranging the stars or carving something on the moon? Even though this could be done a million years earlier – thus not screwing everyone who lived B.C. – it would still be terribly provincial, since there must be millions of other sentient races. But what do I know? I’m certainly not infallible. Just sayin’.

7. Dwight says:

I think the original post here was somewhat thoughtful, but I would wonder about this idea that if you think something is so i.e., a happy afterlife, somehow it will make it so. This is part and parcel the exact nature of “magical thinking” that children engage in. To entertain the notion that somehow Jesus or the magic of Quantum mechanics will deliver us from death appears to be a flight of fancy.

These reminds me of the launch of our lard and savor who on His fine maiden voyage our venerable FSM bodily ascended up to the heavens with boiling water blazing; with balls to the walls up to heaven to meet the holy ghost of cheese and garlic sauce. We worship thee oh mighty FSM for letting QM give us an immunity bath from death… Amen!

8. Bosn_C_Otter says:

Look if you have no clue what Quantum mechanics actually is then please don’t use it to attempt to appear intelligent. What you just spouted off is right from a Pseudoscience text book (Almost word for word actually) and has never been expressed by anyone who is actually a particle scientist. So honestly you just made yourself look very stupid.

1 18 19 20 21 22 26