1171900 Views

We shouldn’t live with absolute frivolity

Published August 12th, 2011 by Bobby Henderson

While life should not be taken too seriously, this doesn’t mean we should live with absolute frivolity. Yes, so-called religions attempt to mandate all sorts of opinions and behaviors about morality and social conformity. This does not mean that actual religion — the sincere attempt to understand the unknowable — is inherently stupid or necessarily bullshit.

Quantum mechanics tells us that all possibilities exist simultaneously until foreclosed by inconsistent observations. So, with regard to what we truly cannot know or observe, it’s possible that all beliefs are equally "true" and very much real. It’s an incredibly powerful thought: that we can design our own eternity simply by imagining it.

Personally, I’d want much more from my eternity than to party on a pirate ship with a bunch of beer and strippers. The ability to have that experience at any time and for any duration? Sure, that would be great. But plain old life has plenty to offer that’s much more sublime and extraordinary than simple hedonism. And it’s not even a very ambitious vision of hedonism.

World history is replete with terrible evils committed in the name of "religion." Certainly, it’s an important message that moral and social "values" should not be elevated to the level of religious beliefs. But our ability as humans to recognize the fundamental unknowable questions — where are we from, why are we here, and where are we going — creates a fundamental human need to discuss and confront these questions.

Pastafarianism does indeed celebrate the power of the individual to choose his or her own answers to these questions. Some might like the idea of choosing answers that are deliberately silly or absurd. But to do so simply to make a point about the beliefs of others is to degrade and dishonor one’s own spirit.

-Tom

945 Responses to “We shouldn’t live with absolute frivolity”

1 16 17 18 19 20 26
  1. Alex says:

Why is the last hate-mail published in August 2011? Almost a year ago… :( Time for some new material.

• Keith says:

Perhaps “they” have taken the hint and gone off to annoy someone else. (Pity: in many cases it wasn’t annoying. Just funny.)

• Dee says:

Alex, You are so right. We need an update ! I shall pray to St Semolina .. may he guide an update our way.

Ramen

• john says:

well im from norway and we on our school have been brain washed with cristian propaganda trough out the years. but now we have about new religions such as the task i have been given: The Curch of the flying spaghetti, when i talked with some friends about it they actually tought about joining this curch. And since i have this task any tips o holly prophets.

• Keith says:

Well, John. You could concentrate on the benign aspects of Pastafarianism but you could also concentrate on why Pastafarianism was formed.

2. Ken says:

Verily I say – Smite the Spammers!

3. Randy says:

This letter is now over a year old. We need some new hate mail!

4. A Christian says:

What the hell do you people think you’re doing? This pastafarian SHIT is just that–SHIT. SHIT SHIT SHIT. I completely agree with another post that said you guys had a special place reserved in hell. It’s hard to believe that there is actually a religion based on sin! HOW CAN YOU BASE A RELIGION ON SIN? WERE YOU NOT BORN WITH A SENSE OF RIGHT AND WRONG? ARE YOU SO NUMB TO THE GRACE OF GOD THAT GOOD AND EVIL ARE ONE? IS THAT SENSE INVERTED ALL TOGETHER? WHAT? THE? FUCK? IS? THIS? SHIT? OH, and I like your interpretation of pirate history. How can you believe THAT when their nature has been historically proven? Do you know the definition of a pirate? Are you a fucking moron? What is your problem? Another thing I’ll have to borrow from that other comment: This whole damn thing is likely the spawn of drug use. At least, it sure fucking sounds like it. I thought Islam was mental, but when I stumbled across this…it simply goes to prove how screwed up the world is! Despite the fact that you will most likely sarcastically disregard this message, I’m glad I wrote it. It’s sad that you don’t take this hate mail seriously…maybe soon you’ll be enlightened, but things aren’t looking too good for you and your followers.

Repent,

A Christian

• A pastafarian says:

Oh, you ignorant fool.
      Your sins are different from ours.
      Your sins are christian, ours are pastafarian, need I say more.

Alex

P.S. No need for the profanity

• julia says:

FUCK YOU. Go back and pass first Fucking grade. Really who the fuck believes in a fucking flying spaghetti monster.

• Inge says:

Why is it those people are reduced to swearing all the time?
          As an European I am taught social status among US citizens is discernible by language domination.

But still – is it some kind of written form of the tourette syndrome??

• TheFewTheProudTheMarinara says:

Only someone dumb enough to not recognize satire.

• TiltedHorizon says:

No one believes in a “fucking flying spaghetti monster”, that little parapraxis wetdream is all yours.

• The 13th Doctor says:

Who believes in a sorcerer who lives in the sky who is loving and kind and will send you to hell if you don’t follow his rules?

• MainePapa says:

I know I’m a little late with the response, but why is it that certain people who pretend at being Christian are the most foul mouthed individuals in the conversation.? I feel the need to rant here, but I’m going to leave it be and just wish that you grow up one day. Peace.

• Keith says:

I think the reason a lot of the self styled christians swear when posting hate mails is that they would like to swear like blazes in “normal” life and amongst their own kind. A great many of these posters seem to be fundamentalists of one sort or another, so all of that pent up frustration needs an outlet where they cannot be identified. Somehow posting on the FSM website makes them immune from the wrath of their god and their fellow fundamentalists.

• TheFewTheProudTheMarinara says:

“why is it that certain people who pretend at being Christian are the most foul mouthed individuals in the conversation.?”
          Because there is a disconnect between what they profess and what they do. Have fun with these good Christian examples!

• A pastafarian says:

Poor fool.

You’re not only sinning in the name of pastafarianism, but your blatant use of profanity, your lack of respect for other people, and total misled mind (You believe you’re a christian, but you’re acting like a psycho… Not very christian-ish) I don’t care if you rot with a bad beer volcano and women with herpes, or if you end up in hell by your own God, no matter what, you just pushed a reason why you will not be going to heaven when you die, after your puke on us. And drug use? Sir, but your comment could sound like you were the one who smoked a hell lot of weed before writing, you’ll find that most pastafarian will write to you in an intelligent nonchalant language, and not like a whining baby who feel insulted by nothing (e.g. look at your own post.) Wish you the best “a christian” (I feel sorry for true christians by calling you that)

5. A Christian says:

Repent,

A Christian!

• TheFewTheProudTheMarinara says:

Christian, that loud whooshing sound was the whole concept here going over your head. Then again, it may have been several other concepts.

P.S. “Sin” is the basis for YOUR religion – you know, the whole “original sin” / “he died for you” crapola. The COFSM is based on love. At least the love of beer and strippers.

• Atsap Revol says:

Oh, Christian, how could we sarcastically disregard your eloquently crafted post? You are glad that you wrote it, and so are we. This site has been short of raving Christian asshole hatemail lately, so we welcome your loving message. Now crawl back under your fundie rock, take two of the yellow capsules, and try to remain calm.

Atsap Revol, The Evangelist of Enlightenment

• Drained and Washed Clean says:

The one who reads a book with talking snakes and asses, that the entire planet flooded and all the species survived on a tiny boat with a 600 year old man, and believes that an invisible bearded sky zombie magically impregnated a woman with himself so he could become a zombie and levitate into outer space to send anyone who doesn’t believe into a fiery pit where they will eternally suffer says that we have a problem? Perhaps we should discuss the actual definition of the word ‘enlightened’ and how this in no way defines you.

And Prophet Bobby wasn’t on drugs. He was drinking beer. Lots and lots of beer.

• Keith says:

Was this character so insecure about his (assuming it’s a he) beliefs that he had to post his comments twice?

• Tasm10 says:

Irony deficit leads to flaky, fundamentalist, laughable arguments. Is this even a real person? I suppose that we’ll never get a reply anyway. I don’t want to discriminate but I can tell the “author” is American, due to the fact that few other nations have such a significant societal lack of irony. This is just another moronic troll, a species I thought we had driven from these pages. I could go on but this kind of stupidity cause me to have a serious sense of humour deficit which is a waste of time, given that these arguments are merely a single incoherent post with no follow up to the various responses they raise.

R’amen all,
      Tasm10, devoted British pastafarian

• Anonymous passing by says:

Humans aren’t born with a sense of right and wrong, we learn those from the social enviroment we are born in.

• Carbonara Corsair says:

Dear “A Christian”, I fear your idea of “enlightment” has something to do with flamethrowers, hasn’t it?

• Former dupe of a more ridiculous religion says:

6 shits and 3 fuck(ing)s. This ‘xtian’ seems to have an obsession with bodily functions. He must be a catholic priest.

• Ignoranace really isn't bliss says:

One thought on you comparing your views to the COFSM in regard to sin, your holy book, a document censored and compiled out of only the gosbels and anything else that could be thought up to supported the power of the church at the council of nicea, says that adam and eve were created and had two sons, correct? And we developed from this father son and mother, correct? Isn’t incest a sin in your religion, and being a product of sin you are hated by your god? Just something you may want to stew on :)
      btw if its a choice between prayers, hymns and talking to saints with a sense of humour bypass for all eternity and strippers, I’m not really that sorry but im going for the strippers, th beer is just a bonus.

Lots of love for your Ignorance

SucksToBeYou

• The 13th Doctor says:

I find amusing how these people swear at us, then think we’re gonna take them seriously. Perhaps they were using the same logic they used when they chose Christianity as a religion.

• not A Christian says:

Can we stop feeding the trolls? Pretty please?

• MainePapa says:

Ad Hom, logical fallacies, begging the question.. anything else you want to spout out? Grow up, go pray, and maybe one day you too can play with the adults. Peace.

6. Ann says:

The Reverend Toni Rigatoni

Are you there. I am here to tell you that I had not deleted your comments nor was I hiding as to said. I had just not seem them. Now I have posted replies.

Another thing please don’t call me names as you did if you don’t see some of your comments. I am still in the process of answering them.

7. mike says:

r u guys fucking kidding me. this has got to be the most FUCKED UP thing that i have ever heard of. GO FUCKING SHOOT YOURSELVES YOU FUCKING RETARDS.

• robert says:

I agree with mike. If any human being believes in this shit then do the world a favor and just kill your self.

• Keith says:

Not much to go on there, you two. Plenty of sauce but no meat. Try again when you are older and able to produce some coherent reasoning in your posts.

• Inge says:

Let’s try logic for once, o.k.?
        - Most religions, especially those dominating the U.S. and good old Europe, are dangling rewards and punishments in front of adherents. You behave (according to the religions statutes, of course) and you get rewards in the ever-after.
        In animal training we call this method positive and negative reenforcement. It works with whales, dogs, parrots and obviously with religious adherents.
        We, on the other hand, get free beer and strippers no matter what.
        We don’t NEED to be good, but we still help, assist and even write to school boards in order to keep a generation from being ignorants. We don’t kill, our Noodly One doesn’t kill, and we certainly do not kill ourselves.
        Is it so hard to comprehend a group initiiative that is not based on gaining anything, not now, not ever, not even after death?

You still collecting reward stamps for Paradise?

• julia says:

These two are right anyone who believes a flying spaghetti monster created the earth while he was drunk is just a fucking dumb ass and should just put a gun in their mouth and pull the trigger.

• Inge says:

Riiiight…..!? What about those who believe the earth was created by someone Invisible within 6 days about 6000 years ago, draining 6 parts for dry land (must have been written by desert people) and populated as a pastime with people who ALWAYS have to tell this Creator just how wonderful he is (he got an ego problem?), the sun of course revolving above the flat earth. Then to make things a little more interesting, this sadistic Being creates Satan, just like the little monsters in computer games to make the game harder and more interesting. And That Heavenly Monster doesn’t even have the excuse of being drunk.
          Now THAT has a lot more logic, of course!

• TiltedHorizon says:

Your right, I should believe an invisible bearded anglosaxon man created the universe in six days instead.

• julia says:

Inge don’t get me wrong i think all religion is fake and i don’t believe in any of it and have no problem with people believing what ever they want. It’s the fact some people believe in a flying spaghetti monster makes hate being part of the human race. To be honest i dont swear to often but this religion is ridiculous and i have just given up on Americans because of it. I regret becoming an citizen of a country who believe in a flying spaghetti monster.

• Inge says:

Don’t give up on Americans – just yet ;-)
          You could see the Spaghetti Monster as kind of an allegory: It is JUST as plausible to believe in as a human reawakened from death, sitting in the sky, sitting at the right side of another invisible being, both of them having a third being (BEING a third being, escuse me. Since the 3rd century you are a heretric if you don’t believe in the Holy Trinity), the aforementioned bodily being in the host each sunday.
          THAT is the heart of the whole argument.

His Noodlyness could also manifest itself in an invisible moose on a tree or in a pile of Holy Truck Tyres on a Mountain. It doesn’t matter. It’s all the same and just as true or not.
          (P.S.: Your ARE entitled to give up on me, as I am not even an American and English isn’t even my first language….)

• MainePapa says:

Another satisfied and holy Christian!!! Think of it this way, if not for people like us, where would all that anger you have be directed? Oh yeah, at your wife and children like is the norm.. I get it..

8. Just a humblest of unhumble opinions says:

Dear “Pasterfarians”

before i get ultra trolled I want to tell you that believe it or not I’m not here to tell you to go to hell …i’m just an attention seeker with no life (aren’t we all really) and thought you’d most likely read the email thread if you…say was called thusly.

Personally I’m all for the flying Spaghetti ugh, and although I myself am anMonster, the thought made me la “Agnostic ” I can, take a joke once and awhile and I’m not a big fan of the whole idea of not listening to other people thoughts and idea’s eg. Evolution/creation and but making some strange mashed up version of both is perfectly fine (I assume that’s what inellient desighn is bieng Australian and just entering highschool I only have a small idea on what inteldesighn is) and I don’t believe trying to figure out the world around us and develop different theory’s is “a sin”. I also like that the creator of this satirepiece (I can’t remember your name sorry) has made fun of, not Christianity or religion (as I agree with him is a great thing) ,but infect the idea of trying to market religion and scam people money out of it and use t as a tool to get power money and ridiculing even banishing other idea’s, and spin the bibles words into some twisted hate message ectra and trying to pass faith as science though both is important they are not the same.

But there’s one thing that really gets me upset and that’s some of the fans and what they have been writing on your website. Yes I know I’m attacking the arguer and not the argument but I just don’t like some of the stuff mentioned on this site.

For example as far as I’m aware there has been some very derogatory arguments made by some “fanatical” Christians that to me are quite clearly fake. One particularly is off a man who claimed in thread marked “u r gayyyyzzzzzboooooosssss” or something ridiculously poor like that that he was a priest and made the most poor argument that quite obvious wasn’t made by a priest. You have to think ..this is a man of average intelligence at least…no town. No matter how southern :P would make a complete idiot or atleast illiterite person to be a priest and even if they did how would this man be capable of wielding a computer. Furthermore priest want to “save” other’s and teach them the gospel so I’d imagine a priest who doesn’t pay attention to the media that much and thought this was an Idol worshipping site or saw it as so would want to convert you guys to the faith and any idiot would know that calling someone gay, stupud pooheads or whatever and insulting them isn’t really going to get them to become Christians. So what I began to think was
    A)the guys lying to attempt to be seen as an authority in order to try to get Christians to be on his/her side
    B) they are a fan of the site and had nothing better to do then start a fake argument i.e.. Make up a highly retarded easy to attack argument for the opposition to make them seem like fools and ridicule them further.
    if B) is the case then that really worry’s me….because it would appear that you guy’s want to have a fanatic southern Christian call you gay so badly your making up fake arguments to do so ,and support and make up false evidence for a highly discriminate stereotype that all christians are dumb hicks when mostly that’s not the case that’s is pitiful and really sad….yes I agree there are some F-wits who are christian and are fanatical and cause pain to others but that’s also the same with Muslims,Mormans,Hindu, even the “all knowing” atheists. But for some reason you seem focused so much on Christianity.

Further more your arguments against them are dare I say rather boring and repetitive themselves. Manly the arguments have been.

1)you believe in a deity and thus you are stupid low-IQ retard loll your so dumb ~ramen
    2) Go back to your schietzofranic fairy in the sky you patriotic bigot (note that half of the people in the hate mail don’t even mention there Christian nor American yet you seem to assume.)
    3) We are so fucking intelligent me smart t you dumb.
    4) stop making a fucktard of yourself we are entitled to our opinions get a life, if you don’t like it don’t look, bitch please our heaven has strippers your just jealous (I like number 4 and thought that that’s what most of the arguments would be based around with some funny, witty humour included much like the idea of the FSM. Sadly I was mistaken)

If you dumb down alot of the comments in there basic of basic form taking away all the fancy thesurus do-da that’s most of them. I find that looking down on people and making fun of them because there Christian or not the sharpest tool in the shed BOOK WISE is rather low and not so ingenious and any fool can do it. Also I find the “schizo fairy” joke rather offensive. I admit I giggled the first time I saw it but it’s over used and just more cruel then funny. You say how everyone is entitled to there opinion yet you bag out there believes soon after. Making fun of someone else’s beliefs isn’t “LOL” it’s not nice and goes against everything the website nay the religion of the FSM stands for and is something anybody can do. And it’s hypocritical to tell someone to stop hating on your “Beliefs” (which most of you don’t really believe in anyway you got to think many others actually believe in heavenly farther and actually do get hurt when those insult is tossed around and yelled at therefaces) and shows little respect for anyone? Even if the “authentic christian: argument did so…to wrongs don’t make a right. And I believe as there are people who shove Christianity down there throats so is there people that shove atheism down others. We’re here to hate intelligent design not Christians/Pasterfarians. Another argument seems to be based on peoples grammar. I admit I cheated and used spell check so I wouldn’t have to put up with AHUlthat ordeal. :P. But I think it’s rather judgemental for someone to base someone’s intelligence on there spelling and grammar. “and for gods sakes use spell check dammit” isn’t a problem but blatantly calling someone stupid because of this is just ridiculous. The person in question could have been denied education as a child or English could be there second language but I won’t delve into that. Any way I just wanted to show you guys not all Christians are homophobic, sexiest, full of hate and utterly retarded(at least I think I’m not..i hope XD) and stop thinking they are and forming a prejudice of them .

May god shine his light on those who are willing and open the doors to those who seek the truth amen~
    May his noodle appendage touch you and shoot beer down you throats Ramen~

From the-ironically-female-hopefully-not-retarded-tatsu-who-doesn’t-live-in-florida-america-who-doesn’t-play-baseball-and-eat-pie-and-has-only-read-the-bible-once..
    Jade :D thanks for reading if you did dearie I’m sorry for being so criticuel but it was beginning to get to me.

ps. sorry it’s so long ..-guilty smile-.

• Inge says:

I read your long reply very thoroughly and will take the time to formulate a reply as I understand Pastafarism as best I can. To put it in a nutshell:
      - Pastafarism was not founded as a kind of all-year-Halloween, allthough some People seem to enjoy the fun, so why not let them say RAMEN and “arrrgh!”
      - Pastafarism WAS founded as self-defense to point out overbiased and intense religious influence of archconservative currents to the school system. And, to make matters worse, not in Religious Ed, but in the field of science, replacing it.
      - The more literal established Religions take their doctrines (no matter Qran, Bible, Thora…) the more they beg for ridicule and it would require earthly angels (another being we could discuss about) NOT to mock.
      You explode some non-believers and you go to heaven with virgins?
      You NEVER eat meat on the same plate as milk products and will be dragged to heaven on your forelock?
      You pray for somebody else, buy masses for him/her and you help that person into heaven?
      Pleeeze!
      I would like to discern between religiosity as a person’s urge to have a god (whichever it is) and Religion as an institution, rather a money-making industry.
      I personally have read the bible not only once but various times, also many books and comments on the theme. That’s why I agree completely with Alfred Loisy, specialist of biblical studies and religions: “Christ preached the advent of God’s reign, but along came the Church”

1 16 17 18 19 20 26