We shouldn’t live with absolute frivolity

Published August 12th, 2011 by Bobby Henderson

While life should not be taken too seriously, this doesn’t mean we should live with absolute frivolity. Yes, so-called religions attempt to mandate all sorts of opinions and behaviors about morality and social conformity. This does not mean that actual religion — the sincere attempt to understand the unknowable — is inherently stupid or necessarily bullshit.

Quantum mechanics tells us that all possibilities exist simultaneously until foreclosed by inconsistent observations. So, with regard to what we truly cannot know or observe, it’s possible that all beliefs are equally "true" and very much real. It’s an incredibly powerful thought: that we can design our own eternity simply by imagining it.

Personally, I’d want much more from my eternity than to party on a pirate ship with a bunch of beer and strippers. The ability to have that experience at any time and for any duration? Sure, that would be great. But plain old life has plenty to offer that’s much more sublime and extraordinary than simple hedonism. And it’s not even a very ambitious vision of hedonism.

World history is replete with terrible evils committed in the name of "religion." Certainly, it’s an important message that moral and social "values" should not be elevated to the level of religious beliefs. But our ability as humans to recognize the fundamental unknowable questions — where are we from, why are we here, and where are we going — creates a fundamental human need to discuss and confront these questions.

Pastafarianism does indeed celebrate the power of the individual to choose his or her own answers to these questions. Some might like the idea of choosing answers that are deliberately silly or absurd. But to do so simply to make a point about the beliefs of others is to degrade and dishonor one’s own spirit.

-Tom

940 Responses to “We shouldn’t live with absolute frivolity”

1 14 15 16 17 18 25
  1. jackson noodle says:

but that’s my opinion as well as the fsm is great for some but not for all the same for others coz i am part christian (don’t judge) only becuse i agree with a few things like don’t murder ect. but im an evolitionist and look at the differance between old and new testment the old one seems original but the new one looks like cut and paste every two or so phrases and chrismas is a little of other religions like Jewish Hanuka muslim ramadhan

• The Voice of Reason says:

If you believe in evoloution, then you are an Atheist. Atheists can have morals, that they cannot is religious propaganda.

• TheFewTheProudTheMarinara says:

I don’t agree with that first statement, Voice. It’s just another logical hurdle the Christians have to leap over. Kind of like how getting his “only begotten son” tortured and murdered appeased god’s wrath, or how an all-loving god would create a hell.

2. jackson noodle says:

I think that the hate mail being put up is good and shows the differant side but a catholic church website would fabrcate the hate mail
    think about it

I support free speech

3. xxicenturyboy says:

Hilarious, whenever you want to up the ante on woo, start putting the word Quantum in front of it. Quantum Mechanics does not tell us anything like what you describe, and I am assuming you know even less about Classical Mechanics and Physics. This is what people like Deepacker Chopper would like you to think, because they don’t have the first clue about Quantum Mechanics. He probably thinks a ‘Quantum Leap’ is a big jump, when in reality it is undetectable, like the intelligence of this article. Good to hear another point of view I guess. Pass the marinara. Ramen.

4. Jeff says:

What can I do to start a Protestant sect of Pastafarianism?

I feel that the true meaning of FSM has been diluted and distorted by the venganza orthodoxy and that we need a breakaway sect. Not all believers of FSM feel that Pirates and Strippers are relevant in today’s modern society, many feel that these elements were never originally part of FSM’s zesty message or have fallen out of favor. These days, hackers and webcam strippers are far more relevant to our society and have all but replaced pirates and conventional strippers. Furthermore, not all worshipers of FSM feel that the current orthodoxy is right in absolving us of our hate-mail. We believe that hate-mailers should be responded to by the burning of a steak at the very least, and possibly the wearing of hats with buckles.

• Apprentice Frederic says:

@Jeff: The future of the planet depends upon the CoFSM; your cavalier dismissal of pirates as “irrelevant” shows total obliviousness to their importance in combating global warming, and total unconcern with the role of *real* strippers in the Vale of Vermicelli, which we can only reach thru singleminded devotion to the Church. I implore you to rethink your apostasy!!!!!

• TheFewTheProudTheMarinara says:

Check yourself before you wreck yourself, Jeff. See what happened during the Reformation? Over 100,000 potential Protestants were killed in in France alone during one month. And those murders were carried out by “good Christians”. You’re dealing with pirates!

• GOPnot4me says:

For Jeff:

“What can I do to start a Protestant sect of Pastafarianism?”

Guilt, tight-assedness, bad food, bad sex and no fun are anathema to Pastafarianism, so NADA, bro.

• Brother Franklin, Ordera Marinara says:

You sir are out of line. Pirates and Strippers will ALWAYS be relevant hence the need for orthodoxy. I and the other brothers of the Ordera Marinera wil be praying for you and may even make several Parmesano offerings for your wayward soul. A burning of the steak is an outrageous punishment. It is inhumane. I challenge you to find me one person who likes their steak overcooked or who would be so heartless to serve a burnt steak to ANYBODY.

• Olio says:

I always ate my meat overcooked and detested rare cuts, when I still ate meat- overcooked by standards of comparison such as to bleeding slabs of porterhouse. I did not believe it was a requisite to consume animal flesh as a member of the following around here.

5. no tom just no says:

quantum mechanics tell us that all possible outcomes will unfold, not all possibilities.

6. Olivia says:

Dear Tom:
    I am a devote Flying Spaghetti Monster believer, and do not see it as trying to “make a point about the beliefs of others.” Also you’re knowledge of quantum mechanics isn’t complete. By this I mean quantum mechanics does allow for numerous possibilites, but does not allow things to come into existence from nothing. It does allow for events to happen without out a cause, which is amazing to think about. I admit I know little of quantum mechanics; and also you must realize quantum mechanics is not fully understood even by top scientists. With all do respect, I am not trying to insult other religious, and do not liked being accused of doing so.

~Olivia

7. Risoni Maximus says:

hmmmm…. pass the cheese

8. Interested says:

What is FSM looking to prove? And what are the haters looking to prove? CoFSM doesn’t do much. They’re funny, they go over the line, they’re basically just like anyone who is looking for attention. And two, what are the haters looking to prove? There are tons of people who are cussing out the people who run the CoFSM website without putting a viable point into their arguments. I think that everyone is in the wrong for not backing up their arguments with anything remotely approaching a viable point.

• Apprentice Frederic says:

I’d suggest that you read – or reread – the “ABOUT” tab on the home/entry page, and then please do reconsider the possibility that your post isn’t completely viable either. A million bucks to Kiva isn’t quite “doesn’t do much”. And viability is touchy. You might come to be able to recognize what you perceive as the CoFSM’s viability problem as something more kinda like satire….

1 14 15 16 17 18 25