We shouldn’t live with absolute frivolity

Published August 12th, 2011 by Bobby Henderson

While life should not be taken too seriously, this doesn’t mean we should live with absolute frivolity. Yes, so-called religions attempt to mandate all sorts of opinions and behaviors about morality and social conformity. This does not mean that actual religion — the sincere attempt to understand the unknowable — is inherently stupid or necessarily bullshit.

Quantum mechanics tells us that all possibilities exist simultaneously until foreclosed by inconsistent observations. So, with regard to what we truly cannot know or observe, it’s possible that all beliefs are equally "true" and very much real. It’s an incredibly powerful thought: that we can design our own eternity simply by imagining it.

Personally, I’d want much more from my eternity than to party on a pirate ship with a bunch of beer and strippers. The ability to have that experience at any time and for any duration? Sure, that would be great. But plain old life has plenty to offer that’s much more sublime and extraordinary than simple hedonism. And it’s not even a very ambitious vision of hedonism.

World history is replete with terrible evils committed in the name of "religion." Certainly, it’s an important message that moral and social "values" should not be elevated to the level of religious beliefs. But our ability as humans to recognize the fundamental unknowable questions — where are we from, why are we here, and where are we going — creates a fundamental human need to discuss and confront these questions.

Pastafarianism does indeed celebrate the power of the individual to choose his or her own answers to these questions. Some might like the idea of choosing answers that are deliberately silly or absurd. But to do so simply to make a point about the beliefs of others is to degrade and dishonor one’s own spirit.

-Tom

915 Responses to “We shouldn’t live with absolute frivolity”

1 13 14 15 16 17 25
  1. Robert Burns says:

So if I get this right. This church accepts anyone with any ideas at all, all is cool. Well I’m a practicing pedo, are those views ok in this all encapsulating, accepting all, religion or do you have limits and lines that can not be crossed like other churches. :)

Discuss.

• Roo says:

I would recommend watching this video- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHe4OQ4bY4o

You will quickly see that raping children is a violation of the Non-Aggression Principle.

Have a nice day :)

• TiltedHorizon says:

Nope, no issues with your proclivities, just post up your name and proof of address I’ll personally have the Fucilli Brethren of Invitations process your application and extend to you the warmest of welcomes.

• Bobby Peru says:

If you are a practicing “pedo” wouldn’t you already be clergy in the Catholic Church?

• Arkaeon says:

Actually, if I catch you raping a child, I’ll probably just snap your neck on the spot. I’m not that great of a pastafarian, but I’m pretty good at jujutsu. At least I promise not to make the more emotionally sensitive, legally minded and tolerant members of the movement watch it happen.

Moral of the story: Don’t count on church dogmas to save you from natural repercussions. Oh, and don’t press your luck based on what you think you read somewhere on the internet.

• TiltedHorizon says:

There is a job opening in the Fucilli Brethren of Invitations (FBI). Your hired. I’ll send you his address as soon as he posts it.

Ramen

• Olio says:

“neck on the spot”

Wrong area targeted.

2. Matthew says:

What is better than spending an eternity in a pirate ship with stripper and beer?!

3. Curtisagain says:

Lol someone watched what the bleep do we know. It’s a load. At least we don’t present our crap as solid fact

4. Berke Demirci says:

I think this answer is very silly. I asked my dolls. My dolls know a lot of stuff about lots of stuff. My doll ‘Mary Sue’ said that these ideas all sounded very nice, but they were generally lies propagated by Marilyn Monroe, who is not dead. I have a doll of her too.

• Keith says:

Haunted dolls, eh? There is some stuff about that on the internet. Not very convincing I’m sorry to say.

• TiltedHorizon says:

Sorry but the dust bunnies under my bed say your dolls of full of it.

5. The Reverend Toni Rigatoni says:

To all my fellow Pastafarians, especially those in the UK. I have today received a flyer put through my letter-box by a concerned neighbour, sadly anonymous, that directed me to a very revealing and startling web site. The concern of the person delivering the flyer related to the millions of pounds that the Jehovah’s Witnesses here in the UK receive from public funds via ‘gift aid’, which is essentially charitable donation – in addition to enjoying tax exempt status, all funded by the UK tax payer. It has been estimated that the donations amount to many millions of pounds annually. The web site: ‘www.jwsurvey.org’ (Cedar’s Blog – Where is the public benefit?) contains some very alarming and revealing things about JWs that I for one never knew (protecting paedophiles for one). This most revealing information is written by a practicing JW who very definitely feels that the organisation does not deserve the tax free charitable status it currently enjoys; that it is in fact not a charitable organisation at all, but self-serving, immoral and destructive. The website is well worth a visit wherever you live believe me, have a look I urge you.
    The site links to an online petition ‘http://epetitions.direct.gov/petitions/29949’ that is petitioning the government to debate the matter in Parliament. 100,000 signatures are needed to set the wheels in motion.
    I urge everyone to visit the website and maybe learn a little more about what is arguably the most bizarre sect ever to walk this planet; and if you are resident in the UK and feel as I do that our taxes, those that are earmarked for charity should go to genuine charities and not to further the self serving interests of a cult, then you too can sign the petition. The flyer I received is available for download from the ‘www.jwsurvey.org’ website if you wish to canvass locally as I shall be doing.
    When the UK has many thousands of homeless elderly people living on the bread-line, the thought that these people are siphoning of millions to finance their ‘charity work’, aka knocking on our doors on Sunday mornings,(yes, that’s what they claim is their charity work, giving us spiritual advice and comfort!!) makes my blood boil. If you agree takes just a few seconds to sign the petition and maybe twenty minutes to post a few flyers and we just might go some-way getting something done about this ridiculous state of affairs.
    Down off my high-horse now.
    May the Sauce be with you all (and our taxes where they belong)
    The Reverend

• The Reverend Toni Rigatoni says:

Should have read ‘homeless AND elderly’

• The Reverend Toni Rigatoni says:

Sorry folks, the link to the petition is: http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/29949

As you can see, my blood was still boiling when I posted.

The Reverend

• Keith says:

Reverend: with all due respect I am very suspicious of online petitions. Call me paranoid if you wish but are you certain this is a genuine petition and not just a way of information gathering?

• The Reverend Toni Rigatoni says:

Hello Keith, I’m as confident as anyone can be but of course I can’t know for sure. In any case, if the government want to know how I feel about the appalling state of affairs regarding the theft of my taxes, I’m happy to tell them. Even if it is an information gathering exercise, enough dissent from respondents may well initiate an investigation or similar. Dismissing it for whatever reason will just convey apathy and disinterest and everyone knows that we might not always get what we want but always get what we deserve. I say, vote anyway.

May the Sauce be with you

The Reverend

6. Russ Fry says:

I think FSM has been round since the big sneeze caused the meatball to start rolling across the universe.

7. Tim Drake says:

This is a nice letter but if this were correct I would be able to perform magic. I still can not perform magic. [I'm not being glib. If I can invent my own eternity, why can't I manipulate things during this version of existence?] I haven’t met Thor yet either. I did used to wonder about this, if you died whatever you thought would happen, happened. It was the subject of a few science fiction books as well, and the theory behind workable magic. See first sentence.

Making something up and claiming it’s the truth without proof is bullshit.

• The Voice of Reason says:

Actually, the parallel universe theory is that there are an infinite amount of universes which vary in any way imaginable. This means that regardless of whether we think something or not, the universe will exist. However, religion was designed to explain THIS universe, not another.

8. jackson noodle says:

i think that everyone should believe in what ever they want

I believe in free speech

• TiltedHorizon says:

Belief is great, however, it is how those beliefs are applied which dictate how a belief should be regarded.

• The Voice of Reason says:

Indeed, if the religious do something to affect others then it should not be justified. For example, the Crusades.

1 13 14 15 16 17 25