We shouldn’t live with absolute frivolity

Published August 12th, 2011 by Bobby Henderson

While life should not be taken too seriously, this doesn’t mean we should live with absolute frivolity. Yes, so-called religions attempt to mandate all sorts of opinions and behaviors about morality and social conformity. This does not mean that actual religion — the sincere attempt to understand the unknowable — is inherently stupid or necessarily bullshit.

Quantum mechanics tells us that all possibilities exist simultaneously until foreclosed by inconsistent observations. So, with regard to what we truly cannot know or observe, it’s possible that all beliefs are equally "true" and very much real. It’s an incredibly powerful thought: that we can design our own eternity simply by imagining it.

Personally, I’d want much more from my eternity than to party on a pirate ship with a bunch of beer and strippers. The ability to have that experience at any time and for any duration? Sure, that would be great. But plain old life has plenty to offer that’s much more sublime and extraordinary than simple hedonism. And it’s not even a very ambitious vision of hedonism.

World history is replete with terrible evils committed in the name of "religion." Certainly, it’s an important message that moral and social "values" should not be elevated to the level of religious beliefs. But our ability as humans to recognize the fundamental unknowable questions — where are we from, why are we here, and where are we going — creates a fundamental human need to discuss and confront these questions.

Pastafarianism does indeed celebrate the power of the individual to choose his or her own answers to these questions. Some might like the idea of choosing answers that are deliberately silly or absurd. But to do so simply to make a point about the beliefs of others is to degrade and dishonor one’s own spirit.

-Tom

936 Responses to “We shouldn’t live with absolute frivolity”

1 9 10 11 12 13 25
  1. Nameless says:

Row, row, row your boat,
    Gently down the stream.
    Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily,
    Life is but a dream.

• nun sequitur says:

until the nightmare begins.

2. Spammyboy says:

I just came back to this and had two thoughts:
    1)At least this Tom character is taking part in discussions without resorting to buybull-bashing or trolling
    2)Oh my FSM! Someone replied to my post… and agreed with me!
    Actually there was a third:
    3) I have a text.
    But that was irrelevant.

3. Allison says:

I didn’t take the time to read all 327 responses to this so pardon me if this was already said. Tom lost me right in the beginning because yes, actual religion absolutely IS inherently stupid. It isn’t the attempt to “understand the unknowable”, it’s the belief in a magical being in the sky. It defies all logic, common sense, and scientific scrutiny. It should be openly ridiculed just like a grown man believing Santa Clause comes down his chimney and leaves him presents would be ridiculed. It’s the same principle – be good or you won’t get any presents/go to heaven. It’s absurd and I don’t see any reason not to say so. It’s about time people grow up, stop believing in fairy tales, and join the rest of us in reality.

• nun sequitur says:

pssst…allison…
      there is a 12 y.o. geo tracking santa using NORAD..
      on the boards…
      SO…IxNay on saying the AntaSay is not EalRay

(yet another tradition 2 fall by wayside…piglatin. ..it lays unused beside the 2 tin cans connected via string…)

4. Conflicts says:

Ummm…Pastafarians claim to be a legitimate religion and yet claim that all religion is wrong or stupid or however you want to say it. I also find it funny how Bobby completely makes all this up to make fun of all “intelligent design” based religion and Intelligent Design itself, and then claims that this religion, which is based on intelligent design, is also real. The entire religion is ironic as a result of its holy book being based of the very things its creator was criticizing. Therefore all claims of it being a legitimate religion are invalid.

• TiltedHorizon says:

“Therefore all claims of it being a legitimate religion are invalid.”

I am waiting for the ‘Ah Ha!’ moment. You are soooo close….

• Mal says:

I hope you’re not holding your breath.

• nun sequitur says:

I think it is meant 2 read ‘illegitimate’ &/or valid.

• theFewtheProudtheMarinara says:

Au contrare, mon frere! Let’s assume you are a Christian. Your literature is based on contradictions.

You believe in the Nativity? Yet of the 2 Evangalists who mention Jesus’s birth, they are almost totally contradictory. One of them had the family living in Bethlehem already, the other said Joseph had to travel there because he was a descendent of David.

Why Bethlehem? Because it was an old prophecy (OK, there were two alternatives, actually) that the Christ would be born “of the house of David”. How could he be if Joesph wasn’t the REAL father? But I digress. David had been dead for a thousand years. Try to trace your lineage back 1,000 years, Conflicts. And today we have better record keeping and the internet. And after so many generations (again, the writers of the gospel don’t agree), just about ANYONE in Judea would have been related to ANY of the other tribes.

OH – by the way: the census was only a local census in Syria, and was held AFTER the death of Herod.

5. LIMHBIWFEFMTLOL says:

These people obviously believe in religion if they made a whoole web page about their own, haha religious people should be happy because of this webpage, I mean the reason why they made it up is because they were inspired lol

6. LIMHBIWFEFMTLOL says:

You obviously believe in something if you are making this whoooole webpage on your own religion haha religious people should be proud that you are inspired by them and most importantly, inspired by God C: I am glad that you finally found a religion lol

• stylusmobilus says:

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, About tab, please.

7. theFewtheProudtheMarinara says:

I’d like to address the initial poster’s assertion that “actual religion (is) the sincere attempt to understand the unknowable”. However, we should first remind everyone that the intent of the COFSM is to keep Creationism out of science classes. Science – you know – that attempt to understand things without immediately throwing up our hands and attributing it to divine magic.

As Richard Dawkins points out in his book The God Delusion, it may be impossible to definitely disprove the NON-existence of things, but we can work out probabilities, and the probability of a “personal god” is very low, yet still above the probability that any particular religion has a clue of anything except how to make a profit from the gullibility of the masses.

Religion makes it up as it goes along – it never really attempts to understand. Look what happened to Galileo. Martin Luther said “Reason is the greatest enemy that faith has”. St. Augustine called curiosity a disease. The Dark Ages, as well as the stunting of science in the Muslim world, did not come about because religion was trying to find answers. They were actively suppressing reason.

• Apprentice Frederic says:

tFtPtM, “actual”, “sincere”, and “unknowable” do give us a lotta other ways out: Except, of course, for the CoFSM, there are precious few sincere – and therefore not actual? – religions, just as you and Allison argue. Understanding the unknowable is, at least on the face of it, a waste of time, so that a depressive take on the whole thing is that actual+sincere religions are a waste of time at best. Understanding what IS knowable seems worthwhile, and the empirical approach that the best kind of science takes seems well worth defending. I think that the further details of that empirical approach, BTW, will always be perfectible, just as is human nature, LOFLMAO.

• theFewtheProudtheMarinara says:

Science and religion both rejoice in the unexplained. Scientists say “This give us a puzzle to work on!” Religion says “This is another place our god can hide, until it’s explained away!”

• Apprentice Frederic says:

….bbbut….bbbbbut….they’ve almost found the God particle!!!!!

8. nun sequitur says:

What ought we live with?

Other things that impacted my not pursuing things following my accident concerned attitudes towards my upbringing.

My husbands parent was in the fire dept; he doesnt recall where he heard the expression, growing up, about ‘jewish lightning’…it was, he recalled a term meant to imply fraud concerning a building fire…ive been in a relationship where the parent of the guy i was dating talked about being ‘jewed down’ on an business deal, in front of me…thats how these people from the city are, always trying to jew her down…i had not ever heard this before, because i had not grown up where this was said- the implication was about cheapness & haggling. After awhile, guarding against things becomes part of the equation. One girl whom came by to convert me to another religion, it was because i was depressed, crying…she suggested that it was due to lack of jesus. ..same thing with numerous persons suggesting my pain is a sign i need jesus in my life. i have never attempted to convert anyone to my religion. i had kept kosher for a period of time…this fell away because a family member married some1 whom was unable to follow the tradition adequately for various reasons & it became less important, then fell to dispractice…then we moved away…

before that i was abused, after this…which did not fit in with anything- i also was ill, it went undiagnosed for years…

things which do not have anything to do with religion per se.

there r good things done in the name of religion. i never separated out practices & beliefs of my family as right or wrong versus others in my community & why i never thought twice about it until all of the attempts @ conversion.

i m not imagining the remarks…i was intentionally humiliated & lied about & then had the person purposefully bring up church & how he was going to begin dating a ‘nice’ girl…(evidently = one not tainted by humiliation).

as for being abused, i have criticised certain practices in my own background, which now makes me subject to being thought a bigot by my own ‘people’ …while i have a right to consider this about myself & is not meant to b antisemitic.

i did NOT know it was a part of christianity to try to convert me. . .the girl that had tried to said OH, she hadnt known i was jewish,,, i did not ACT jewish…she & the other girl trying to convert me were gossiping about me & leaving hurtful messages on my machine…the intent has been to imply & bear out that i deserve these things.

the husband of the woman i had taken to the clinic on the womans request, whom later married someone whom then in turn, brought up my being jewish, their missionary work, & how my stopping by to see her one day when she was not home – he was there only & unexpectedly- this was supposed to equal my ‘seducing,’ him… i was cycling (bicycle riding) @ the time, in spite of injuries which make everything painful…it was my exercise pants he implied were ‘seductive’, later on…before making the abortion ‘jokes’…he tried to make me feel ashamed about this- what i was wearing- then, showed up with her dressed in a midriff bearing ensemble,,,they were both calling my full name accross an expanse so that the entire surrounding area would have identified me by the time the ‘jokes’ started & it was a topic I had not brought up…she wanted pointedly to tell me about her work with young pregnant mothers; tried 2 get me into a conversation concerning young, unwed girls having children & that was about it (added subtext: i have repented for my transgressions, what have u done?)…some persons i’ve had affection for happen 2 b from single parent households, so unsure what the point was- it was not to ‘catch up’ with me- & i never singled out what they wear to them being uncomplimentary, but he did, me…if i asked him that day if this outfit she was wearing was by him considered as ‘provocative’ 2 make a point- i would b singled out, as having made a remark out of context…& it would serve no purpose as far as i m concerned- it is asking me to stoop down 2 a level then saying oh, what r U doing here on this level? if i respond or comment.

& my objecting to conversion attempts or mistreatment in the name of religion reflects negatively on me, as now, I am considered being discriminatory.

• nun sequitur says:

That is what was said to me: ‘o i didnt know u….were. u do not ACT, jewish…’

1 9 10 11 12 13 25