1,043 Comments

We shouldn’t live with absolute frivolity

Published August 12th, 2011 by Bobby Henderson

While life should not be taken too seriously, this doesn’t mean we should live with absolute frivolity. Yes, so-called religions attempt to mandate all sorts of opinions and behaviors about morality and social conformity. This does not mean that actual religion — the sincere attempt to understand the unknowable — is inherently stupid or necessarily bullshit.

Quantum mechanics tells us that all possibilities exist simultaneously until foreclosed by inconsistent observations. So, with regard to what we truly cannot know or observe, it’s possible that all beliefs are equally "true" and very much real. It’s an incredibly powerful thought: that we can design our own eternity simply by imagining it.

Personally, I’d want much more from my eternity than to party on a pirate ship with a bunch of beer and strippers. The ability to have that experience at any time and for any duration? Sure, that would be great. But plain old life has plenty to offer that’s much more sublime and extraordinary than simple hedonism. And it’s not even a very ambitious vision of hedonism.

World history is replete with terrible evils committed in the name of "religion." Certainly, it’s an important message that moral and social "values" should not be elevated to the level of religious beliefs. But our ability as humans to recognize the fundamental unknowable questions — where are we from, why are we here, and where are we going — creates a fundamental human need to discuss and confront these questions.

Pastafarianism does indeed celebrate the power of the individual to choose his or her own answers to these questions. Some might like the idea of choosing answers that are deliberately silly or absurd. But to do so simply to make a point about the beliefs of others is to degrade and dishonor one’s own spirit.

-Tom

1,043 Responses to “We shouldn’t live with absolute frivolity”

1 26 27 28
  1. Saint Gnocchi says:

I am a new convert, but a devoted one. In fact, I have devoted many woman-hours devising a prayer for us Pastafarians. “Our boiled-in-water Father, who hideth out dead-quiet there in yonder universe, Flying Spaghetti Monster be Thy Holy Name. Exactly as Yours is done, our Pizza deliveries come, on Earth, just like it is deliverd up Your way. Give us this week, oh FSM, Thy Holy Lasagna Recipe, that we may make the real MaCoy in our very own kitchens. And please, whilst Thou are at it, forgive us our sins, as we forgive our lazy good-for-nothing mothers when they purchase our Lasagne from the Frozen Food Section. And, whilst we have Thine Holy ear FSM, do not lead us into The Dreaded Temptations, (and we’re talking here of Chinese Take-Away, Sushi, Booze Sex and Drugs) but deliver us from de-marbled Creationists. For Thine is the Glory, the Pasta, Macaroni, Bolognaise, Raviolli, gnocchi and Parmesan. etcetera, For ever and ever. Bon appetit.

• SillyKiwiMan says:

Booze is one of the cornerstones of our faith, without it we wouldn’t have had creation in the first place, and as long as it’s consensual, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with sex.

Yarrgh

• The Sauceror says:

Dear Saint Gnocchi and silly Kiwi (aren’t all kiwis silly with their ‘hair-feathers’ and their funny, awkward walk, but I love them anyway), I largely agree with this prayer, with the exception of the “do not lead us into The Dreaded Temptations”. I WANT the FSM to lead me into those temptations. I love Chinese Take-away, especially when there are noodles involved (although, we Yanks don’t have “Take-away” — we have “Take-out” or “To-go”. We only have “Take-away” when we are making fun of people with funny accents. For example, say -with an English accent- “What is your name? What is your quest? What is your ‘favorite Take-away’?”). I also love eating Sushi — as well as raw fish (who doesn’t?). Booze is obviously an integral part of our religion, and should never be separated from daily prayers– I always try to pray daily, and multiple times on week-ends. And then there is sex. I always pray to the FSM for more, because there is just not enough sex in the world. “Make sex, not war” comes to mind. Although sex can have ramifications, such as when you wake up in the morning next to someone whom you’ve never met, and say silently to yourself, ” Oh…… you looked amazing last night after ten beers, but now I would rather chew my own arm off than wake you”. As far as drugs go, ok, there is room for negotiation– no harm, no foul, right? Dear Saint Gnocchi, take the “not” away from the temptations, and we may have a deal. What do other pirates think about this proposal?

• Keith says:

I agree that apart from the “not”, Saint Gnocchi has a very worthy prayer. We all feel temptation as we all feel lust. They are perfectly normal feelings and, as the gatekeeper in “Macbeth” says about booze “It promotes the desire but takes away the performance”, so alcohol was a gift from the FSM to have a levelling effect on our actions.

• Saint Gnocchi says:

I never fail to find a Pastafarian’s comment to our detractors; either a witty riposte, sardonic tongue-in-the cheek comment, pithy saying, flame-sharp retort, etc., that it does not have me me roaring with laughter. I love to laugh, and in you guys I have truly “Found my People.” (I NEED to laugh, every day, ’cause there’s some real serious sad shit going on in the world around me.)

2. Saint Gnocchi says:

To The Elders: Okay, okay, “The Dreaded Temptations” part I will amend. As mentioned, I’m a new convert. Proud to say that it’s taken me only three weeks and I’ve progressed to becomming a Full-time FSM Fanatic,isn’t that great? See, I am lately wearing the rather conventional, boring-shaped,silver metal colander on my head all day, everyday now. “It’s kinda cute,” says my husband, “Kinda like those Judaic skull-cap-thingamys, but with air-conditioning.” The neighbours though, seem alarmed and are acting funny. I care not. I am strong for my Faith. But I do suppose I pushed my luck a bit when I threaded a pretty flower through one of colander’s holes when I went to the monthly Tenants’ Meeting the other evening. However, dear Elders, the real purpose of this chat, is that I want to ask: Will I be ex-communicated if, instead, I wear a nifty, heat-proof, red sillicone collander with a sort of longish metal handle attached? Or will this Frivolous, Funky adaption shake the very Foundations of conservative Pastfarians’ Fundamental comfort zones? If so, I plead Freedom Of Expression. So, please let me know: is there wriggle-room in the Pastafarian religion for free spirits such as I am?

• TheFewTheProudTheMarinara says:

Saint Gnocchi: I’m from Detroit, so the entire “Dreaded Temptations” theme upset me. Verily, they were prophets. Although I preferred the 4 tops (pepperoni, mushrooms, black olives and sausage).

• Rasputin says:

Welcome, Saint Gnocchi. AAaaaaaarrrgghhh!

• Keith says:

Saint Gnocchi, the answer to your colander question is that it really makes no difference what the colander is made of. If you were engaging in trench warfare that would be a different matter. If you feel that a colander doesn’t suit you try a pirate hat. Instead of the skull and crossbones you could have a little badge of his/her/its Noodliness.

• The Sauceror says:

Dear St. Gnocchi, I agree fully with the above comments (especially after a few beers). I would say that while being a free spirit is not a requirement in our religion, it does gain you bonus points in Heaven. I’ve heard that with enough points, you get an extra large flask from which you get to drink endless amounts of beer.

• Rasputin says:

Yeah. Free spirits and a beer volcano. R’amen.

3. TiltedHorizon says:

meanwhile…. China produces eight times more scientists and engineers. Thank you ‘bendover’ for demonstrating the ‘why’.

4. Spammyboy says:

Good evening vaginas i had sex with your mother at the time you you were performing oral sex on your father who is having sex unintelligent.

Nope, still doesn’t make any sense, bendover. (Also, is that your real name? because you might want to consider changing it…)

5. Drained and Washed Clean says:

Totally shocking…

6. nun sequitur says:

In China there r also scientists SPLICING HUMAN GENES with that of CATTLE (moo cows) in an attempt 2 produce milk more amenable to human consumption…which ends up torturing cows & raising ethical concerns…while ramping up goats milk production could go a long way to adressing matters, to start with. WHO needs ‘god’ as unseen entity, when persons…entities in our own right, some feel a right & duty 2 tinker with ‘creation’ in this manner…& religion has nothing 2 do, with this…

7. nun sequitur says:

In reply 2 nov 7, 2011…9:10 a,

This post, appearing separately by chance; was to b posted in REPLY 2 TILTEDHORIZONS comment on China…just as posting, screen cut out & the result was as mentioned. ..attempt #3 (pressing REPLY, 2 post mentioned…under’ not live with…frivolity’- getting ERROR message)…

ack…the pet visiting our place is into something she ought not b by sounds emanating from other room…i m less concerned about cows than this @ moment, but think about what i said, please…

TILTEDs post, which this reply FAILS 2 load properly, under:

November 7, 2011 at 9:10 am

meanwhile…. China produces eight times more scientists and engineers…

8. Danger Dave says:

They also have almost 4 times the population

9. TiltedHorizon says:

Nice try converting that mess to usable English. Unfortunately a polished turd is still $#!+.

10. nunya biz says:

11. nunya biz says:

this is perfectly acceptable but my attempting to point out that religion has been permitted to supress individual freedoms in many cases is considered offensive. HOWEVER UNINTENDED. I never said that being kind & discouraging the issues from a different angle is wrong inherently, it IS well meaninged…I do not object to the intentions, but the unintended outcomes…so that if some1 lapses in following advisements, for reasons outside of religion, right or wrong, the consequences are punished by judgement ON EARTH, & any punishment in the afterlife, is just a continuation of the fact that the person died being OPRESSED & SILENCED very often, including dying of otherwise preventable diseases…but since homosexuality is a ‘sin’, or pre marital sex, just let them reap the results, right? & counsel them on their eternal souls…if u believe in life not ending @ death, which I do not neccessarily disagree with, it does not impart the right to ENCOURAGE deaths while it is widely accepted that this is somehow not @ ALL what is going on, & it is blamed on any1 opposing this cycle, instead, which is a lie perpetuating abuses… which makes it a SIN…& even if u believe god may forgive this, not is it neccessarily forgivable accross the board, since concepts of what is forgivable VARY depending on what u perceive god 2 find forgive-able…so even if a mob of persons here believe in the ‘same’ god as this mob over here, each, every individual conception will VARY in context, between individuals…
    DEATH ROW INMATES R NOT INFREQUENTLY VISITED BY MISSIONARIES & MANY CONVERT ON THEIR DEATH BEDS NEARLY…serial murderers, rapists, arsonists, etc are as entitled to believe in god, redemption as their victims probably did, or may well, have. If any of those victims wished for their assaulter to ROT in HELL, AS PUNISHMENT… THEY R NOW BY DEFINITION DENIED THEIR FINAL WISHES…if ANY sinner CAN be ‘saved’…what is to stop some1 from comitting murder if EVERYTHING they do is WASHED CLEAN in the end…what CONSEQUENCE would they then have to fear? IF u believe in justice, & ur own religious teachings, u would have 2 concede there is an imbalance. HELL does NOT neccessarily deter.

12. Yo Momma says:

Spammyboy, did you get out of the basement again? Don’t make me get the cattle prod out…

13. Wayne says:

Fixed, and double ups removed. Hope you don’t mind nun.

14. nun sequitur says:

‘Hope you don’t mind’ mind about post dups? i had 1 of these, once (mind) but that was long ago…fyi, if i try 2 link here from recent comments area, the screen reads ‘error 404′…

15. nun sequitur says:

I pressed reply 2 other comment & post, instead shows up in separate window…

16. Wayne says:

Yes, I know. It does it to me as well. Don’t know how to fix that.

17. nun sequitur says:

has any1 tried

18. nun sequitur says:

has any1 tried?

19. nun s equator says:

moo.

i have spliced cow genes with my own, in a way, by ingestion.

i have not been able 2 eat a burger since i considered it that way.

mad cow disease was not enough to deter me, tho…

20. The Voice of Reason says:

An aquaintaince of mine once said, ‘What if we are a physical manifestation of god?’ A very interesting theory, but I find religion to unlikely, however, it is an interesting thought.

21. K Russell says:

Is everybody failing to remember the fact that it’s the Chinese that decided it was a good idea to try to mate people with chimpanzees? I don’t think that is the best example to be put here. Unless you all support beastiality… but I don’t think that’s the message you’re trying to convey. nun Sequitur should let you believe in your spaghetti deity, it’s just so cute, and has nothing to do with the sicko Chinese scientists.

22. nun s equator says:

replies do not post where placed…adding 2 clutter…

23. nun s equator says:

Reply does not post where placed…
    adding
    to
    clutter

24. nun s equator says:

TESTING

25. Tasm10 says:

Exactly!! That is why religion CAN BE so dangerous, because there is time always to repent sins, commit a few more, repent again etc. That could be a flaw in having an ever forgiving deity, if you don’t like the idea of sharing your eternal afterlife with murderers, rapists et all. I wonder if they could commit crimes in the afterlife too? Perhaps the pagans got it right, especially the greeks, you p*** off the gods and you have a one way ticket to Tartarus. Yay!!

26. Drained and Washed Clean says:

It is pretty convenient, isn’t it? You can do whatever you want because you take comfort in the knowledge that your god will forgive you no matter what you do if you pray… Probably explains why there are more xtians in jail then atheists…

27. nun s equator says:

28. Carbonara Corsair says:

Aside from Pastafarianism, as someone said, every different religion is just a sense of guilt in different days of the week…

29. Pirate Smily Face says:

WHAT THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER
    .D

30. tyler says:

WTFSM!!!??!?!??!?!?!

31. nun s equator says:

“nun s equator says: January 19, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Theoretically TASM, if the people ‘repent’ they r ‘saved’ & therefore ‘worthy’ of being in ‘heaven’…there is a veiled inferrence that once u become something of an energy field vs whatever matter combination format we exist as, now, that we attain some final, perfection status…i think not.”

that being said, this is the kind of statement which gets me hated on 4 just specul8ng about. i m not pretending 2 kno what happens 2 consciousness because, its not entirely clear what consciousness is or is not. not pretending 2 have all the answers. i dont think religion & praying r only about negatives. i just cant c the specific formula as it is fitting with manson, the zodiac killer, etc. we r walking chemistry experiments, in part… i think that has something 2 do with contributing 2 some otherwise unexplained acts of violence; it just started 2 not make sense 2 me @ 1 pt, how if certain people r going 2 hell 4 doing something heinous, 4 sure, no return ticket…& u can b redeemed by repenting & get ticket 2 heaven, WHERE is the impetus, what is the ‘threat’ of hell or even, the ‘promise’ of heaven? what some texts do then is get so specific about the KEY, 2 either, which is a noble endeavor but not completely sound, perhaps. i think intangibles such as intuition, consciousness has something 2 do with spirituality & religion is a structure placed around these…ultimate justice seems 2 b main goal of all religion, but by this standard model it nearly falls apart. like me…in pieces…

32. AnneDroid says:

Where do you get that from? Nonsense! There so aren’t more Christians in jail than atheists if you count numbers practising their faith. If you base it on what they declare themselves as on admission to prison you misunderstand the stats.

33. devils right hand man says:

Most that go to jail become religious immediately. Its sad and those kids they raped to get there spend the rest of their lives hating themselves. Thank you Jesus now go fuck yourself Ramen bitch

34. The 13th Doctor says:

I don’t think so. Christians make up about 37% of people in jail. Atheists make up less than a percent. No matter how you understand the stats 2 plus 2 is still 4.

35. TiltedHorizon says:

I smell a no true scottsman fallacy. It can’t be true “if the are practicing their faith” hence by being in jail means they were never “true” Christians. Sorry to break it to you, no matter how you spin it, atheists are underrepresented in jails.

36. Tarnakk The Defender says:

Who do you suppose allows religion to do that? And are they really the only ones? Governments, Businesses, Religions, Social Groups of sufficient size – all of them act to suppress human rights and individual freedoms. Some of those freedoms (the option to torture, rape, plunder, murder) *should* be suppressed. Most others shouldn’t be. But you have to remember that even without religion, there will always be people who will act out of self interest to suppress the potential thoughts and actions of others. It’s just part of being human. Another part of being human is *resisting* those forces that try to control your life – preferably by nonviolent means. Personally, I don’t find the people applying the pressure to be objectionable. I find the people who refuse to resist objectionable.

37. Tarnakk The Defender says:

In reply to one of the underlying themes here that “Religion suppresses freedoms and is thereby objectionable”.

38. Bishop Bob of Linguine says:

Indeed- Pastafarism is totally free of guilt. May the Holy Flying Spagnetti Monster (may Sauce be upon him) grant us all the never ending pasta bowl with free bread sticks. May he grant us mind blowing diabetic coma’s and lead us to the land of Rigatoni for all eternity-
    Ra Man

39. Ms. J. L. Knutson says:

You are so mean.

His Noodly Appendage should Smite you,
    however, I believe that

Jellyfish

are close relatives to the

Flying Spaghetti Monster. Nevermind, you are probably busy with IMPORTANT STUFF. Have a good day.

1 26 27 28