1,063 Comments

We shouldn’t live with absolute frivolity

Published August 12th, 2011 by Bobby Henderson

While life should not be taken too seriously, this doesn’t mean we should live with absolute frivolity. Yes, so-called religions attempt to mandate all sorts of opinions and behaviors about morality and social conformity. This does not mean that actual religion — the sincere attempt to understand the unknowable — is inherently stupid or necessarily bullshit.

Quantum mechanics tells us that all possibilities exist simultaneously until foreclosed by inconsistent observations. So, with regard to what we truly cannot know or observe, it’s possible that all beliefs are equally "true" and very much real. It’s an incredibly powerful thought: that we can design our own eternity simply by imagining it.

Personally, I’d want much more from my eternity than to party on a pirate ship with a bunch of beer and strippers. The ability to have that experience at any time and for any duration? Sure, that would be great. But plain old life has plenty to offer that’s much more sublime and extraordinary than simple hedonism. And it’s not even a very ambitious vision of hedonism.

World history is replete with terrible evils committed in the name of "religion." Certainly, it’s an important message that moral and social "values" should not be elevated to the level of religious beliefs. But our ability as humans to recognize the fundamental unknowable questions — where are we from, why are we here, and where are we going — creates a fundamental human need to discuss and confront these questions.

Pastafarianism does indeed celebrate the power of the individual to choose his or her own answers to these questions. Some might like the idea of choosing answers that are deliberately silly or absurd. But to do so simply to make a point about the beliefs of others is to degrade and dishonor one’s own spirit.

-Tom

1,063 Responses to “We shouldn’t live with absolute frivolity”

1 26 27 28
  1. Saint Gnocchi says:

I am a new convert, but a devoted one. In fact, I have devoted many woman-hours devising a prayer for us Pastafarians. “Our boiled-in-water Father, who hideth out dead-quiet there in yonder universe, Flying Spaghetti Monster be Thy Holy Name. Exactly as Yours is done, our Pizza deliveries come, on Earth, just like it is deliverd up Your way. Give us this week, oh FSM, Thy Holy Lasagna Recipe, that we may make the real MaCoy in our very own kitchens. And please, whilst Thou are at it, forgive us our sins, as we forgive our lazy good-for-nothing mothers when they purchase our Lasagne from the Frozen Food Section. And, whilst we have Thine Holy ear FSM, do not lead us into The Dreaded Temptations, (and we’re talking here of Chinese Take-Away, Sushi, Booze Sex and Drugs) but deliver us from de-marbled Creationists. For Thine is the Glory, the Pasta, Macaroni, Bolognaise, Raviolli, gnocchi and Parmesan. etcetera, For ever and ever. Bon appetit.

• SillyKiwiMan says:

Booze is one of the cornerstones of our faith, without it we wouldn’t have had creation in the first place, and as long as it’s consensual, there’s absolutely nothing wrong with sex.

Yarrgh

• The Sauceror says:

Dear Saint Gnocchi and silly Kiwi (aren’t all kiwis silly with their ‘hair-feathers’ and their funny, awkward walk, but I love them anyway), I largely agree with this prayer, with the exception of the “do not lead us into The Dreaded Temptations”. I WANT the FSM to lead me into those temptations. I love Chinese Take-away, especially when there are noodles involved (although, we Yanks don’t have “Take-away” — we have “Take-out” or “To-go”. We only have “Take-away” when we are making fun of people with funny accents. For example, say -with an English accent- “What is your name? What is your quest? What is your ‘favorite Take-away’?”). I also love eating Sushi — as well as raw fish (who doesn’t?). Booze is obviously an integral part of our religion, and should never be separated from daily prayers– I always try to pray daily, and multiple times on week-ends. And then there is sex. I always pray to the FSM for more, because there is just not enough sex in the world. “Make sex, not war” comes to mind. Although sex can have ramifications, such as when you wake up in the morning next to someone whom you’ve never met, and say silently to yourself, ” Oh…… you looked amazing last night after ten beers, but now I would rather chew my own arm off than wake you”. As far as drugs go, ok, there is room for negotiation– no harm, no foul, right? Dear Saint Gnocchi, take the “not” away from the temptations, and we may have a deal. What do other pirates think about this proposal?

• Keith says:

I agree that apart from the “not”, Saint Gnocchi has a very worthy prayer. We all feel temptation as we all feel lust. They are perfectly normal feelings and, as the gatekeeper in “Macbeth” says about booze “It promotes the desire but takes away the performance”, so alcohol was a gift from the FSM to have a levelling effect on our actions.

• Saint Gnocchi says:

I never fail to find a Pastafarian’s comment to our detractors; either a witty riposte, sardonic tongue-in-the cheek comment, pithy saying, flame-sharp retort, etc., that it does not have me me roaring with laughter. I love to laugh, and in you guys I have truly “Found my People.” (I NEED to laugh, every day, ’cause there’s some real serious sad shit going on in the world around me.)

2. Saint Gnocchi says:

To The Elders: Okay, okay, “The Dreaded Temptations” part I will amend. As mentioned, I’m a new convert. Proud to say that it’s taken me only three weeks and I’ve progressed to becomming a Full-time FSM Fanatic,isn’t that great? See, I am lately wearing the rather conventional, boring-shaped,silver metal colander on my head all day, everyday now. “It’s kinda cute,” says my husband, “Kinda like those Judaic skull-cap-thingamys, but with air-conditioning.” The neighbours though, seem alarmed and are acting funny. I care not. I am strong for my Faith. But I do suppose I pushed my luck a bit when I threaded a pretty flower through one of colander’s holes when I went to the monthly Tenants’ Meeting the other evening. However, dear Elders, the real purpose of this chat, is that I want to ask: Will I be ex-communicated if, instead, I wear a nifty, heat-proof, red sillicone collander with a sort of longish metal handle attached? Or will this Frivolous, Funky adaption shake the very Foundations of conservative Pastfarians’ Fundamental comfort zones? If so, I plead Freedom Of Expression. So, please let me know: is there wriggle-room in the Pastafarian religion for free spirits such as I am?

• TheFewTheProudTheMarinara says:

Saint Gnocchi: I’m from Detroit, so the entire “Dreaded Temptations” theme upset me. Verily, they were prophets. Although I preferred the 4 tops (pepperoni, mushrooms, black olives and sausage).

• Rasputin says:

Welcome, Saint Gnocchi. AAaaaaaarrrgghhh!

• Keith says:

Saint Gnocchi, the answer to your colander question is that it really makes no difference what the colander is made of. If you were engaging in trench warfare that would be a different matter. If you feel that a colander doesn’t suit you try a pirate hat. Instead of the skull and crossbones you could have a little badge of his/her/its Noodliness.

• The Sauceror says:

Dear St. Gnocchi, I agree fully with the above comments (especially after a few beers). I would say that while being a free spirit is not a requirement in our religion, it does gain you bonus points in Heaven. I’ve heard that with enough points, you get an extra large flask from which you get to drink endless amounts of beer.

• Rasputin says:

Yeah. Free spirits and a beer volcano. R’amen.

3. Rasputin says:

There is a lot to be said for frivolity in religion. A good example comes from the movie, “Monty Python’s Life of Brian”.
    The film tells the story of a young man who lives at the time of Jesus and is mistaken for the Messiah. Early in the movie, there’s the scene with Jesus giving his “Sermon on the Mount”, the one with the loaves and the fishes. People at the back can’t hear what’s being said, and the dialogue runs something like this:

GUY #1 What did he say?
    GUY #2 He said, “Blessed are the cheesemakers”.
    GUY #1 What’s that mean?
    GUY #2 He doesn’t just mean cheesemakers, he means, “Blessed are the manufacturers of all dairy products”.

What appears to be a silly joke at the expense of Jesus, is actually a valid insight into what really happened. According to the Buybull, Jesus was speaking in the open air on a hilltop to a crowd of 5,000 people. This is in the time before electronic amplification. Obviously half the people present couldn’t have heard a word Jesus was saying.
    Every movie I’ve ever seen depicts Jesus as meek and mild. My favourite is “Jesus of Nazareth”. The voice of Jesus, played by Robert Powell, scarcely rises above a whisper during the entire movie.
    This has to be mistaken. The real Jesus must have had a voice like the drill sergeant from “Full Metal Jacket”. Meek, mild and whispering? I don’t think so.
    Plus Jesus could not have spoken the words as they are written in the Buybull. The preferred technique in open air speaking is to repeat key phrases, pointing one’s head first in one direction and then the other. The real words of Jesus must have been more like,
    “Blessed are the peacemakers,[move head] the peacemakers are blessed. [move head] The blessed peacemakers will inherit the kingdom of heaven, [move head] heaven will be inherited by the peacemakers”… and so on.
    The real Jesus definitely could not have been like the gentle mild guy who inhabits the popular imagination. Frivolity allows us to have a deeper understanding of the son of God.
    We Pastafarians understand this, but after 2000 years Christians are still struggling with a myth which common sense demonstrates to be impossible.
    Comments, please.

• The Sauceror says:

Dear Rasputin, now you’re speaking my language. Anything “Monty Python”, along with anything “Hitchhiker’s Guide” qualify as true religious doctrine in my book. They are actually documentaries of real truth, not the fairy tale kind. “Life of Brian” was a very important chapter in the great Trilogy of Truth, which also included “Quest for the Holy Grail” and “The Meaning of Life”. Give me a moment— I’m feeling a little teary-eyed right now. Monty Python’s Trilogy of Truth, along with the “Hitchhiker’s Guide” trilogy (which included four books), are among the most valuable of religious resources that one can compare to the “Book of Loose Canons”. So yes, I am quite familiar with the “cheesemakers”. And now for something completely different…..
      Now that we got the serious stuff over with, it’s time to move onto something ridiculously silly. While there is little verifiable evidence for the existence of Jesus, there is a fair amount of circumstantial evidence that such a personality or personalities may have existed. Unfortunately, so much of the story of Jesus has been told and retold over the centuries with so many reinterpretations that it’s difficult to distinguish fact from fiction. “Jesus” may only be various permutations of those who wrote the bible, made in their own image, rather than an actual person. It’s quite likely that the real Jesus was a completely different character that the biblical “Jesus”. Will the real Slim Shady please stand up?
      Many scholars think that Jesus was a cousin or second-cousin to John the Baptist (Luke 1:36). Now, Johnny-boy was not your average lovey-dovey “me love you long time” minister. It is quite likely that he was one of two religious Jewish sects: the Essenes or the Zealots. The Essenes were extremist, intolerant fanatics, who were trying to purify Judaism, often through extreme means. The Zealots were even worse. The Zealots were probably more akin to today’s ISIS or Al Qaeda. They often engaged in acts of violence and terrorism to justify their narrow-minded extremism. Jesus very likely would have been connected into all this. He was baptized by John the Baptist into whatever John’s sect may have been. The “lovey-dovey” parts were likely added later to sanitize something that would otherwise be intolerable. Osama bin Laden will probably get the same treatment. No “blessed peacemaker” or “gentle mild guy” there.
      It seems that the bible thumpers with their “You better watch out, ’cause The Jesus is gonna getcha”, may have the more accurate depiction of the real Jesus than the lovey-dovey Christians do. Bible thumpers are, apparantly, able to read the bible.
      Does that qualify as a comment?

• Rasputin says:

Dear Sauceror, you are The Source.
        None of the tales were written until a couple of hundred years after Jesus. It’s like writing a history of the American Revolutionary War with no written records of any kind except, “My grand daddy said that his grandfather told him that George Washington fought a duel with George lll on the banks of the Potomac”. How in faux’s name are we supposed to know what really happened?

• TheFewTheProudTheMarinara says:

How do you know? The BuyBull tells you so! That’s right, the world’s largest and most heavily edited sales pamphlet is to be taken literally (in most cases – which are up to you) and is always correct (except when it’s not: Hey, Jesus*, who’s your grandpa?)

* not his real name.

• The Sauceror says:

Dear Marinara, “Jesus” is thought to have derived from the name “Jeshua” or maybe not– who the hell knows. The “Christ” part was added decades or centuries later. The word “Christ” derives from the Greek word “Christos”, which means “the annointed one” (or “the annoying one”, if you prefer), or a “bringer of light”. Lucifer derives from the Greek as Lux (light) and Ferre (to bring). Thus, another “bringer of light”. Jesus was apparently the good guy, who will torture you for eternity because “he loves you”, while the other guy is the naughty one. Maybe you are smarter than me, because I can’t resolve that ridiculous contradiction. If so, please explain it to a simple Pastafarian, like myself, who never got the whole “God” thing. Ramen

4. Saint Gnocchi says:

Will an American Pasta please tell me who Franklin Graham is? Why is he making headlines? What is he doing, or saying? In other words – what’s his “case?” Some sort of “Crusader?” If so, on which side – The Dark Side or the enlightened side? His name was mentioned in passing and I am curious. Is his “case” the fact that he’s a nut case?

• Apprentice Frederic says:

Sainted Gnocchi,
      You’re close enough to right-on: Franklin Graham *is* an evangelical nutcase. His father, Billy Graham, was a famous evangelical of yesteryear who was maybe rather more moderate – and I think in fact a “spiritual counselor* to none other than Richard Nixon. The present F**klin Graham is pushing hate for Islam as a religion as a cornerstone of his agenda. There is no discernible humility, compassion, or tolerance in his own “Christian” doctrine, I dunno who goes along with it……actually, I do.

• Rev. Chamberlain says:

Speaking of nutcases, here’s a gem from Pat Robertson. Apparently the omniscient God knows everything about your life from start to finish, so that’s why God allows some babies to die – because he knows they will grow up to be the next Hitler or Stalin. So I can’t help wondering why the Almighty God allowed Hitler and Stalin to grow up and kill millions of people…

• The Sauceror says:

Dear Rev. Chamberlain, must you torture us with such stupidity as Pat Robertson? Pat Robertson is about as dumb as dumb can get. Although, I have to admit, it was kind of fun to read. Post more.

• TheFewTheProudTheMarinara says:

Franky is the butt of some jokes because a large bank (Wells Fargo) had the audacity to run an ad featuring a lesbian couple, so he yanked the $128 million (the God business is good!) his organization had out of Wells and placed it in a bank which sponsored a gay pride parade in Miami last year. Ooops!

• TheFewTheProudTheMarinara says:

Franky says it’s not about being gay, per se, but promoting a lifestyle that’s “not biblical”. Franky’s wearing suits and ties and cordovan shoes – not in the bible – and riding around in cars and airplanes, also not biblical.

• The Sauceror says:

Dear Marinara, I’m pretty sure that Franky only wanted to move his money (ooops, I mean God’s money), away from Sodom Francisco and closer to his home in North Carolina, where he could more easily access Gawd’s wishes. As you mentioned, those all-important suits, airplanes, cars, and all the good things in life that Gawd obviously wants Franky to have. It’s not easy serving Gawd’s wishes. You might as well have the luxuries to go along with it, unlike those pathetic, undeserving poor people. Jesus would have wanted it that way.

• The Sauceror says:

Notice how Franky posted his response on Facebook, which also promotes that same wicked lifestyle.

• Apprentice Frederic says:

tFtPtM, your “butt of some jokes” phrase – apt, BTW – led me to the thought that Franky is a butt, period. And that led me to the thought that the Church should have, in analogy to the Beatification we know about, a much needed CoFSM Buttification ceremony. Franky is certainly the Mother Teresa of butt-hood.

• The Sauceror says:

Apprentice Frederic, Franky gets the “golden shower” award from me.

• TheFewTheProudTheMarinara says:

AF, thank you for noticing the subtle innuendo.

5. Saint Gnocchi says:

Thanks American Pastas, I’ve googled F.Graham and have the measure of him now. He’s clearly addicted to Gerin oil. (Scientific name: Gerinoil) I go ballistic when people say to me: “Oh, Gerinoil is harmless; has its uses…..” I strongly disagree. Gerinoil is an evil drug, and must be routed. This mad dog, this Frankfurter…this…American Graham Cracker… needs a straight jacket. Not sure if googling Gerinoil will show results, but Dawkins very eloquently explains the drug and its effects. (The Hitch devoted a chapter to Dawkins’ explanation in his book: “The Portable Atheist.) If only Dawkins would give me permission to have this information printed as tracts for hand-out distribution. I would happily stand under a GSM banner at a large and busy shopping centre, handing it out to people…

• Saint Gnocchi says:

Oops, typo my previous post. Should read “FSM banner” and not: “GSM banner.”

• Rasputin says:

Is somebody banning the FSM?

• The Sauceror says:

I hope not. I was just learning how to spell it.

6. TiltedHorizon says:

meanwhile…. China produces eight times more scientists and engineers. Thank you ‘bendover’ for demonstrating the ‘why’.

7. Spammyboy says:

Good evening vaginas i had sex with your mother at the time you you were performing oral sex on your father who is having sex unintelligent.

Nope, still doesn’t make any sense, bendover. (Also, is that your real name? because you might want to consider changing it…)

8. Drained and Washed Clean says:

Totally shocking…

9. nun sequitur says:

In China there r also scientists SPLICING HUMAN GENES with that of CATTLE (moo cows) in an attempt 2 produce milk more amenable to human consumption…which ends up torturing cows & raising ethical concerns…while ramping up goats milk production could go a long way to adressing matters, to start with. WHO needs ‘god’ as unseen entity, when persons…entities in our own right, some feel a right & duty 2 tinker with ‘creation’ in this manner…& religion has nothing 2 do, with this…

10. nun sequitur says:

In reply 2 nov 7, 2011…9:10 a,

This post, appearing separately by chance; was to b posted in REPLY 2 TILTEDHORIZONS comment on China…just as posting, screen cut out & the result was as mentioned. ..attempt #3 (pressing REPLY, 2 post mentioned…under’ not live with…frivolity’- getting ERROR message)…

ack…the pet visiting our place is into something she ought not b by sounds emanating from other room…i m less concerned about cows than this @ moment, but think about what i said, please…

TILTEDs post, which this reply FAILS 2 load properly, under:

November 7, 2011 at 9:10 am

meanwhile…. China produces eight times more scientists and engineers…

11. Danger Dave says:

They also have almost 4 times the population

12. TiltedHorizon says:

Nice try converting that mess to usable English. Unfortunately a polished turd is still $#!+.

13. nunya biz says:

14. nunya biz says:

this is perfectly acceptable but my attempting to point out that religion has been permitted to supress individual freedoms in many cases is considered offensive. HOWEVER UNINTENDED. I never said that being kind & discouraging the issues from a different angle is wrong inherently, it IS well meaninged…I do not object to the intentions, but the unintended outcomes…so that if some1 lapses in following advisements, for reasons outside of religion, right or wrong, the consequences are punished by judgement ON EARTH, & any punishment in the afterlife, is just a continuation of the fact that the person died being OPRESSED & SILENCED very often, including dying of otherwise preventable diseases…but since homosexuality is a ‘sin’, or pre marital sex, just let them reap the results, right? & counsel them on their eternal souls…if u believe in life not ending @ death, which I do not neccessarily disagree with, it does not impart the right to ENCOURAGE deaths while it is widely accepted that this is somehow not @ ALL what is going on, & it is blamed on any1 opposing this cycle, instead, which is a lie perpetuating abuses… which makes it a SIN…& even if u believe god may forgive this, not is it neccessarily forgivable accross the board, since concepts of what is forgivable VARY depending on what u perceive god 2 find forgive-able…so even if a mob of persons here believe in the ‘same’ god as this mob over here, each, every individual conception will VARY in context, between individuals…
    DEATH ROW INMATES R NOT INFREQUENTLY VISITED BY MISSIONARIES & MANY CONVERT ON THEIR DEATH BEDS NEARLY…serial murderers, rapists, arsonists, etc are as entitled to believe in god, redemption as their victims probably did, or may well, have. If any of those victims wished for their assaulter to ROT in HELL, AS PUNISHMENT… THEY R NOW BY DEFINITION DENIED THEIR FINAL WISHES…if ANY sinner CAN be ‘saved’…what is to stop some1 from comitting murder if EVERYTHING they do is WASHED CLEAN in the end…what CONSEQUENCE would they then have to fear? IF u believe in justice, & ur own religious teachings, u would have 2 concede there is an imbalance. HELL does NOT neccessarily deter.

15. Yo Momma says:

Spammyboy, did you get out of the basement again? Don’t make me get the cattle prod out…

16. Wayne says:

Fixed, and double ups removed. Hope you don’t mind nun.

17. nun sequitur says:

‘Hope you don’t mind’ mind about post dups? i had 1 of these, once (mind) but that was long ago…fyi, if i try 2 link here from recent comments area, the screen reads ‘error 404′…

18. nun sequitur says:

I pressed reply 2 other comment & post, instead shows up in separate window…

19. Wayne says:

Yes, I know. It does it to me as well. Don’t know how to fix that.

20. nun sequitur says:

has any1 tried

21. nun sequitur says:

has any1 tried?

22. nun s equator says:

moo.

i have spliced cow genes with my own, in a way, by ingestion.

i have not been able 2 eat a burger since i considered it that way.

mad cow disease was not enough to deter me, tho…

23. The Voice of Reason says:

An aquaintaince of mine once said, ‘What if we are a physical manifestation of god?’ A very interesting theory, but I find religion to unlikely, however, it is an interesting thought.

24. K Russell says:

Is everybody failing to remember the fact that it’s the Chinese that decided it was a good idea to try to mate people with chimpanzees? I don’t think that is the best example to be put here. Unless you all support beastiality… but I don’t think that’s the message you’re trying to convey. nun Sequitur should let you believe in your spaghetti deity, it’s just so cute, and has nothing to do with the sicko Chinese scientists.

25. nun s equator says:

replies do not post where placed…adding 2 clutter…

26. nun s equator says:

Reply does not post where placed…
    adding
    to
    clutter

27. nun s equator says:

TESTING

28. Tasm10 says:

Exactly!! That is why religion CAN BE so dangerous, because there is time always to repent sins, commit a few more, repent again etc. That could be a flaw in having an ever forgiving deity, if you don’t like the idea of sharing your eternal afterlife with murderers, rapists et all. I wonder if they could commit crimes in the afterlife too? Perhaps the pagans got it right, especially the greeks, you p*** off the gods and you have a one way ticket to Tartarus. Yay!!

29. Drained and Washed Clean says:

It is pretty convenient, isn’t it? You can do whatever you want because you take comfort in the knowledge that your god will forgive you no matter what you do if you pray… Probably explains why there are more xtians in jail then atheists…

30. nun s equator says:

31. Carbonara Corsair says:

Aside from Pastafarianism, as someone said, every different religion is just a sense of guilt in different days of the week…

32. Pirate Smily Face says:

WHAT THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER
    .D

33. tyler says:

WTFSM!!!??!?!??!?!?!

34. nun s equator says:

“nun s equator says: January 19, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Theoretically TASM, if the people ‘repent’ they r ‘saved’ & therefore ‘worthy’ of being in ‘heaven’…there is a veiled inferrence that once u become something of an energy field vs whatever matter combination format we exist as, now, that we attain some final, perfection status…i think not.”

that being said, this is the kind of statement which gets me hated on 4 just specul8ng about. i m not pretending 2 kno what happens 2 consciousness because, its not entirely clear what consciousness is or is not. not pretending 2 have all the answers. i dont think religion & praying r only about negatives. i just cant c the specific formula as it is fitting with manson, the zodiac killer, etc. we r walking chemistry experiments, in part… i think that has something 2 do with contributing 2 some otherwise unexplained acts of violence; it just started 2 not make sense 2 me @ 1 pt, how if certain people r going 2 hell 4 doing something heinous, 4 sure, no return ticket…& u can b redeemed by repenting & get ticket 2 heaven, WHERE is the impetus, what is the ‘threat’ of hell or even, the ‘promise’ of heaven? what some texts do then is get so specific about the KEY, 2 either, which is a noble endeavor but not completely sound, perhaps. i think intangibles such as intuition, consciousness has something 2 do with spirituality & religion is a structure placed around these…ultimate justice seems 2 b main goal of all religion, but by this standard model it nearly falls apart. like me…in pieces…

35. AnneDroid says:

Where do you get that from? Nonsense! There so aren’t more Christians in jail than atheists if you count numbers practising their faith. If you base it on what they declare themselves as on admission to prison you misunderstand the stats.

36. devils right hand man says:

Most that go to jail become religious immediately. Its sad and those kids they raped to get there spend the rest of their lives hating themselves. Thank you Jesus now go fuck yourself Ramen bitch

37. The 13th Doctor says:

I don’t think so. Christians make up about 37% of people in jail. Atheists make up less than a percent. No matter how you understand the stats 2 plus 2 is still 4.

38. TiltedHorizon says:

I smell a no true scottsman fallacy. It can’t be true “if the are practicing their faith” hence by being in jail means they were never “true” Christians. Sorry to break it to you, no matter how you spin it, atheists are underrepresented in jails.

39. Tarnakk The Defender says:

Who do you suppose allows religion to do that? And are they really the only ones? Governments, Businesses, Religions, Social Groups of sufficient size – all of them act to suppress human rights and individual freedoms. Some of those freedoms (the option to torture, rape, plunder, murder) *should* be suppressed. Most others shouldn’t be. But you have to remember that even without religion, there will always be people who will act out of self interest to suppress the potential thoughts and actions of others. It’s just part of being human. Another part of being human is *resisting* those forces that try to control your life – preferably by nonviolent means. Personally, I don’t find the people applying the pressure to be objectionable. I find the people who refuse to resist objectionable.

40. Tarnakk The Defender says:

In reply to one of the underlying themes here that “Religion suppresses freedoms and is thereby objectionable”.

41. Bishop Bob of Linguine says:

Indeed- Pastafarism is totally free of guilt. May the Holy Flying Spagnetti Monster (may Sauce be upon him) grant us all the never ending pasta bowl with free bread sticks. May he grant us mind blowing diabetic coma’s and lead us to the land of Rigatoni for all eternity-
    Ra Man

42. Ms. J. L. Knutson says:

You are so mean.

His Noodly Appendage should Smite you,
    however, I believe that

Jellyfish

are close relatives to the

Flying Spaghetti Monster. Nevermind, you are probably busy with IMPORTANT STUFF. Have a good day.

1 26 27 28