1,400 Comments

We shouldn’t live with absolute frivolity

Published August 12th, 2011 by Bobby Henderson

While life should not be taken too seriously, this doesn’t mean we should live with absolute frivolity. Yes, so-called religions attempt to mandate all sorts of opinions and behaviors about morality and social conformity. This does not mean that actual religion — the sincere attempt to understand the unknowable — is inherently stupid or necessarily bullshit.

Quantum mechanics tells us that all possibilities exist simultaneously until foreclosed by inconsistent observations. So, with regard to what we truly cannot know or observe, it’s possible that all beliefs are equally "true" and very much real. It’s an incredibly powerful thought: that we can design our own eternity simply by imagining it.

Personally, I’d want much more from my eternity than to party on a pirate ship with a bunch of beer and strippers. The ability to have that experience at any time and for any duration? Sure, that would be great. But plain old life has plenty to offer that’s much more sublime and extraordinary than simple hedonism. And it’s not even a very ambitious vision of hedonism.

World history is replete with terrible evils committed in the name of "religion." Certainly, it’s an important message that moral and social "values" should not be elevated to the level of religious beliefs. But our ability as humans to recognize the fundamental unknowable questions — where are we from, why are we here, and where are we going — creates a fundamental human need to discuss and confront these questions.

Pastafarianism does indeed celebrate the power of the individual to choose his or her own answers to these questions. Some might like the idea of choosing answers that are deliberately silly or absurd. But to do so simply to make a point about the beliefs of others is to degrade and dishonor one’s own spirit.

-Tom

1,400 Responses to “We shouldn’t live with absolute frivolity”

1 33 34 35
  1. Tunie says:

“World history is replete with terrible evils committed in the name of “religion.” Certainly, it’s an important message that moral and social “values” should not be elevated to the level of religious beliefs. But our ability as humans to recognize the fundamental unknowable questions β€” where are we from, why are we here, and where are we going β€” creates a fundamental human need to discuss and confront these questions.”

Religion does not satisfy the human need to discuss and confront those questinw, because it is the answer. It is the only way..

Quantam Mechanics teaches that all possibilities are possible…” but that is im direct comflict with religion. Jesus is the ONLY way, so he is the only possibilty.

FYI There have been some inconsistent observations….

If the word truly embraced religion, science would not be necessary. God provides. God has a plan. Why prolong your life?
    The big three Religions are cons. The “faithful” memorize allegories and rules that they do not follow. How faithful. Then they hide behind God’s “grace” and I am only human…except Jesus as my savior nonsense.

Premarital sex, adultery, divorce and many more… done daily.. No hourly…

Humans are horrible to eachother on earth.. Why would “heaven” be different? There is no justice. There is no peace. Thankfully there is death.

• Rasputin says:

Dear Tunie, all the more reason to eat pasta, drink beer and get laid. These things I understand. Providing I hurt nobody along the way, I’m living a good life.

2. Saint Gnocchi says:

Hail, Oh Excelsior!
    Protector of our Noodly Faith!
    Ramen, thou most great Purger Of The Hippocrites!
    Never a slime ball preacher escapes thy gin-lit eye!
    Nor a loose canon fundy plies his scandalous wares upon our website without thy sensor!
    Thou really art our bees knees.

• Fat Bastard says:

It’s quite clear that a new section is required for bards and poets.

3. Pope Alfredo says:

Tom essentially advocates for the positon of agnosticism, particularly when he refers to quantum mechanics and how that truly implies the equal probability ot any god. In other words, from human observation, we cannot choose which god to worship, because a bloodthorsty, self promoting Chrisitian god is just as likely as Zeus, a god who is no longer recognized by any prevailent culture. However, Tom’s use of quantum mechanics gives us one clear thing: Tom is not a scientist. While yes, the quantum world is in fact based around probabilities, he lies when he says that all probabilities are equal. For example, take an electron probability wave distribution. When visually modeled, we see peaks and troughts that resemble a high or a low likelyhood of an electron being present. We can’t just say that it is just as likely for an electron to any atom in the table next to me to be found at the edge of the universe as anywhere else. It is possible for two screaming kidnappers to abduct me, stuff me into a luggage area of a plane, and to abandon me tied to the tallest tree in the Amazon Rainforest, but I belive that it is more unlikely than me staying at home, watching the X-Files. Ultimately, your view that probabilities are eqial is foolish, an us Pastafaeians have simply upheld the view that a FSM is much, much, much more likely than self-interested, bloodthirsty, thoughtless, and illogical god thag many worship.
    Not only must I reference your misunderstanding of probability, but also your unwillingness to accept truth when opposed to your more selfish wqnts. While claiming that you want more than a party of strippers and beer for your everlasting eternity, that is no reason to deny the FSM. This is simply the truth, and sure, we may not all appreciate it.

• Captain Birdseye says:

Pope Alfredo, apart from Tom’s torturing Quantum Mechanics, he makes the remarkable claim that ‘we can design our own eternity by simply imagining it’. I have no idea why he concludes by suggesting that any choice other than his choice is ‘silly’.
      Just to please Tom, I will set my imagination higher so that I will become his God, for eternity.
      I still chuckle about ‘the sincere attempt to understand the unknowable’ – except that it’s unknowable. As if sincerity has the slightest relevance.

• The Sauceror says:

Pastum Mechanics probably tells us that there is a greater probability of understanding the unknowable if you rely on a ‘humorous attempt to understand the unknowable’, rather than wasting your time sincerely attempting to understand the unknowable.

• Captain Birdseye says:

The Sauceror, I would do that by simply replacing the definition of the word ‘unknowable’ in my dictionary with ‘concealed by igornorance’. In other words, it’s a quality of the aspiring knower, rather than the subject.

• The Sauceror says:

Dear mon Capitaine, I could not agree with you more or less. It is quite oblivious that reality is subjective, based purely on one’s own personal tastes, rather than on some unknowable objectivity. Case in point: gravity. It is pure, blind faith in gravity that holds us down on the flat Earth, otherwise, we would be able to fly around without wings. It is this blind, subjective faith in gravity (that the so-called “scientists” claim is knowable, but, as of yet, is unknown) that keeps us from flinging off into outer space– which, as everyone knows, revolves around our flat Earth.

If you don’t terribly mind (or think at all), though, I would rather apply the Pascals’ Wager in regards to gravity. When I go hiking in the Grand Canyon, and am clinging on the edge of a deep precipice, I would rather take the risk of believing that gravity will pull me downwards, rather than risking the chance that blind faith and ignorance will magically help me soar with the eagles. Pascals’ Wager, along with blind faith in “science” has “saved” my ass a number of times.

• The Sauceror says:

“Igornorance”. A-HA, Cap’n Fatty! I KNEW you were a fat bastard.

• Captain Birdseye says:

The Sauceror, I simply steal words, and anything else, from hapless fat pirates. I believe you have both resolved Pascal’s Wager and saved yourself some medical expenses.

• Fat Bastard says:

The Sauceror, however smooth your mind tells you the road is, your feet will reveal the truth.

• Rasputin says:

Dear Pope Alfredo, Welcome! It’s wonderful to have a mind like yours in our congregation.

4. Rev. Chamberlain says:

Former Speaker John Boehner calls Ted Cruz “Lucifer in the flesh.” The Satanic Temple objects to being compared to Cruz. Is this election great or what?

• The Sauceror says:

The Satanic Temple has every right to be offended that their deity, which they claim doesn’t even exist, is compared to a low-life scum like Cruz. But that’s a low bar to cross over, considering that even dog shit has a right to be offended when compared to that snot-sucking, Cubanadian, theocratic, right-wing nut-case, dominionist, bigoted, obnoxious, nationalist, racist, sexist, homophobic Ted Cruz.

Fortunately, most Americans would say that I have a rather high opinion of Ted Cruz, in comparison to their own views of him.

• EXCELSIOR says:

Saucy,
        The other day I discovered Satan muttering and grumbling to himself. So I asked him “Hey pal, what’s the matter?” He said: “If you knew the troubles I have you would be in a funk too!” I said: “I’m all ears, do tell me.” This is what he told me:
        “When God does all those horrible things like murdering off the whole human race in a Flood when he was in a rage, I criticized him. This made God angry so he kicked me out of heaven and I found a cave called Hades to live in. God blamed me for all the evil he did himself and I suffered in silence. God made everybody worship him or burn in hell for eternity. One day some strong hearted men organized themselves into club called “Satanic Temple”. I thought, it’s about time people realized who is good and who is bad. I went to see them and congratulated them for realizing that I didn’t do anything wrong and worship me instead of God. They told me I was mistaken, they don’t worship me, they don’t worship anybody! You can imagine what a blow that was. I told them that they were breaking the Satanic Law by taking my name in vain and would not be welcome to my Hades when they die!”
        Poor Satan, he breaks my heart!

• The Sauceror says:

Dear Excelsior, I feel sorry for Satan, too. I guess I won’t be visiting his imaginary temple either. I’m going to be spending my imaginary eternity in Heaven, right next to the Beer Volcano, surrounded by strippers of my (and their) choice. It’s so unfortunate for Christians that their version of Hell happens to be our Heaven, and their heaven is our Hell. We don’t have an imaginary Sky Daddy who demands that we bow down and worship a zombie on a stick, so that all three parts of the one Gawd can torture us in the fiery pits of heaven for eternity (all because Gawd loves us). Nope. Our one true noodly God wants us to be happy in life and in the imaginary after-life. “Don’t be a dick” comes immediately to mind– the one pastament that Gawd should have paid attention to.

I don’t know about you, but I’ve been eye-ing the basic tenants over at The Satanic Temple, and I kind of like them. I’ve been thinking about stealing them from the Satanists and offering them as a charitable contribution to our own church– with a tax exemption, of course. Do you think Satan would mind?

• Rasputin says:

Woship Satin! He’s so smooth and luxurious.

5. Captain Birdseye says:

Cruz should take it as a compliment. In any other First World nation, Boehner would be unemployable.
    Wonderful world-wide entertainment. I would vote for Chicken Little as the saner option.

• The Sauceror says:

Please do vote for Chicken Little. It would dilute the insanity.

• Fat Bastard says:

Can I vote if I’m not American?

• The Sauceror says:

Yes, you can vote. Just not in America.

• Rasputin says:

Boner? Funny name. Is he a hard case?

6. Rev. Chamberlain says:

Sauceror, we are in complete agreeance, as Jerry Jones would say. Lindsey Graham famously said “If you killed Ted Cruz on the floor of the Senate, and the trial was in the Senate, nobody would convict you.” Cruz is unabashedly a theocrat who wears a suit instead of a dress and a towel on his head. He is equally dangerous.

• The Sauceror says:

Dear Rev., I only wish I could be more enthusiastic about the Billary as a legitimate alternative to the other two whatcha-macalits– but I’m not. Oh well, I guess it has to be the lesser of three evils, doesn’t it? Billary it is. Billary has to be a better choice than the redneck freak Cruz or the orange whatever that thing is. Please tell me I’m wrong.

1 33 34 35