Certificate of Ordination update

Published August 30th, 2011 by Bobby Henderson

If you ordered a certificate in the last week it’s in one of these mailers that were sent out yesterday:

image

The response has been great.

Jut a note, for the people who are planning to perform weddings as an FSM Minister: It’s our view that weddings are social ceremonies and a couple should be free to choose whoever they like to perform their ceremony.

But to “be married” is also a legal distinction, and for that reason, I want to make sure that our FSM Ministers are following the rules and regulations of their areas. Please be aware that a Certificate of Ordination is not the same thing as a license to officiate weddings. In many areas if you want the weddings to be registered by the government, you need to get a license to perform weddings, issued by your clerk’s office. We have learned that most clerks will accept our ordinations, but if you encounter one who will not, please let me know, and I will see what I can do. But for the most part, please consider these certificates in the spirit of social ceremony.

certificate_sm

Note — the certificates have been updated to use lithographed certificate paper. We also now have ID cards.

You can order the certificates and cards here.

68 Responses to “Certificate of Ordination update”

1. Punksoulbro says:

I got mine in the mail quickly. Very nicely done and well made. A+++++++++++ would do business again.

2. Rev. Felix the Black Cat says:

Of course, anyone worried about legality could always have themselves legally ordained (for the asking, for free) via the Universal Life Church http://www.ulc.org/ The Church of the Subgenius actually suggests this to their new ministers, since they’re not set up as a nonprofit organization, which, apparently, means they cannot issue legally recognized ordinations. I’ve been ordained in the ULC for ~15 years myself, and in the Church of the SubGenius for nearly 3 years. I may have to consider FSM ordination, too…

• Rev.Stu says:

I live in Oregon, here we set up our church, The Ecumenical Church of the Divine, in Oregon there has been a dog ordained as a minister. As long as a couple have their paperwork together -signed and notarized – the ceremony is superfluous. Portland is a stripper factory, and I have been touched by His noodly appendage. (I am a Universal Light minister, my partner is as well and he is a minister in The Church of the SubGenius, and we served time in the OTO, he was a Mormon I was a Roman Catholic…and- and- and. Honestly, if you accept the Divine and apply discipline to your methods – you can achieve spiritual growth no matter what face you put on it.

3. Rev. Fro says:

Superb work! Wonderful certificate that only took a couple of weeks to reach the UK.
    I look forward immensely to using my newly ordained status to go forth and spread His noodly word. Also, it gives me greater leverage when arguing with Jehovah’s Witnesses.
    Oh, super book too!

4. Rev. Atiron says:

I just received mine in the mail and it made me unreasonably giddy!

I will be officiating a wedding later this month in Washington state and was so pleased that I could get an ordination from this august organization. Beautiful certificate and really fast delivery. Thanks!

5. Nate Whisenant says:

I would like to be an ordained Pastafarian Minister! I am a former children’s minister from the assemblies of god and have decided to convert! How do I go about becoming ordained???

• Keith says:

You have already made the first step by seeing reason.

6. Jake Z says:

what age must a person be to recieve one of these? what age to legally marry someone?

7. Noodly0ne says:

Alright!

8. Aaron says:

If I get ordained, does it mean that I can also collect donations and not pay taxes?

• Rev.Stu says:

28 months in- how did asking and receiving go for you? Odds are if you went out and stumped for the church, you would have been better off recycling bottles and cans.