1041944 Views

What exactly do you think you are going to prove?

Published July 22nd, 2011 by Bobby Henderson

What exactly do you think you are going to prove? it’s just disrespectful to other human beings faiths and beliefs, and im sure u of all people should know u can’t put any sense into say a devout christian. Honestly, what your doing is the equivalant of making a rude, sarcastic joke to a child that doesn’t understand humor. u cant tell a christian thats been raised from birth to believe that there’s a magic man in the clouds that he’s wrong. you’ll just get what uve been getting, hate mail, and death threats. God is the equivalant of santa exept the child is never told he isn’t real until it’s to late. and u think your doing a good thing by making up this pastafarian crap to prove how absurd the idea of god is. what i don’t think u understand is that u cant argue with idiots about this stuff as most christians are dont know a thing about science.(I apoligize to all respectable christian scientists). as an athiest, im disgusted what youre doing. like making fun of christians being killed by somali’s, and u quoting, "apparently they thought there god could give them safe passage"(yes ive read ur website). really, did it ever, or does it ever occur to you that these people are actually human being’s with family’s and feeling’s, and just because they think the world was created  differantly than u, u have to mock them… that’s kind of a dick move. your being no better than they are(religious people) by making fun of and disrespecting other people just ’cause they think differantly than u. oh wait u are religous, u worship a flying spaggetti monster. which means i have the right to ridicule u on how stupid your dumbfuck religion is(oh may the great pasta diety forgive me for my sin) and dont deny that u worship the all mighty pasta king, because your the leader of the church. with the true words of your religion written on a piece of paper. it’s ironic that u, by trying to prove how bad religion is. go about it by u yourself inbodying everything that is wrong with human beliefs. u are everything that is wrong with athiesm. u go around acting all superior and pompus, like u know better than everyone else and tell them why there wrong mockingly. the world would be a better place if u took all your "followers" (butt pirates) got on a pirate ship and ate spaggetti until you all died of overeating.have u ever heard the term live and let live? and i love it how  u post all the hate mail u get on a your page to be ridiculed by your cronies( who by the way need to get of the internet and do something productive)yes we all the the bible huggars are gonna say dumb stuff because they’re uneducated. but that doesn’t mean u have to be immature and make fun of there faults so just lay off. even though this message sounds hostile just know i agree with what your’e trying to do (i think) educating people, i just wholly disagree with how u are going about it.

-David

A short response from Bobby:

It’s not our intention to mock or offend anyone. But I realize people sometimes feel mocked  or offended.

It might be fair to say that we’re disrespectful.  I would agree that most Pastafarians don’t respect the notion that religion should sit on a pedestal.  We don’t think that because an action is explained in the context of religion it is exempt from the scrutiny it otherwise would have been subjected to.  Religion is not a free pass for crazy ideas and crazy actions.

I would agree that it’s not our place to pass judgment on those who see the world through a lens of religion.  But neither is it our place to ignore when personal belief becomes public action.  We can accept that some choose to teach their kids the earth is 6000 years old and that dinosaurs are a myth.  But if they push for those ideas to be taught in our schools, it’s no longer a question of respecting personal belief.

The idea that rational minded people must be anti-religion is a wrong one, I think.   If we must draw a line to divide ourselves, I’d prefer the line be positioned between reasonable and unreasonable people, rather than religious and non-religious people.

It’s one thing to see the world through a lens, and another thing to act as if it’s the only lens that can exist.

I believe there is no group more tolerant of other religious and nonreligious groups than Pastafarians, without question.  The death of the Christian sailors by pirates was a sad thing for everyone who heard of it, I’m sure.  My hope is that it doesn’t happen again.  The hard question is:  will criticizing the decision to venture into dangerous areas on the basis of faith help avoid a similar situation in the future?  I don’t know the answer.  But I wonder how many of their friends and family wish they had shaken them and said this is a bad idea, don’t do this.  This is one of the hard questions – this line between respect and concern.

683 Responses to “What exactly do you think you are going to prove?”

1 4 5 6 7 8 25
  1. Ed says:

Regarding the line between respect and concern: I try to respect the beliefs of others, really… but I get pretty concerned when I come across things like this http://www.acronet.net/~promisedland/ Yep, it’s Promised Land Paintball Park, a *Christian Paintball Park” with Department of Defense Contractor status for military training, and revolutionary war re-enactments, because their purpose (according to their website) is “to help grow God’s Kingdom”. Wow. Talk about mockery. Pretend war in the name of God,so the young un’s will buy into the real war when it’s time to send them? Now this concerns me. On the other hand, a paintball park near the beer volcano in FSM Heaven would be pretty cool…

• Beatrice says:

Ed, maybe the “Christian Paintball Park” is the best thing that christians ever did!
      Anyway, in a hypothetical paintball war with christians against pastafarians, we all know that pastafarians win (we have pirates!)

Sorry for my bad grammar, BUT AT LEAST, I CAN SAY I’M NOT ENGLISH MOTHERTONGUE! :P

2. Ronster says:

David, you’re (yes, that is how it is spelled) giving atheists a bad name with your (see the difference?) misunderstanding of the message of this website and your horrible spelling and poor grasp of the english language. If english is your second language, I apologize for the comments about spelling and grammar.

3. BigBoneDP from OZ says:

Dude….

Inbodying ???

I’ve got a red line under that word, and you should have too. Take note of it next time and fix it.

And learn about paragraphs.

RAmen

4. lemon says:

David you fool, did you go to school, you can’t even spell correctly. how dare you offend the flying spaghetti monster, when your grammar is so terrible. However you do make some good points and I respect you for that.

5. shambon says:

lemon, you make a very good point there. Yes I agree than Davids grammar was rather bad, but you must respect his opinions and his slightly bad grammar. Lets not make this personal.

• Specile Sicentis says:

Shambon, the word is ‘piont’. If Ferenst get’s on here tomarrow and sees that, I belive their will b sparks flying all ovr the place.

The the bible huggars might be uneducated and think differantly to us but there well known for there illliteracy.

• Ferenst Anrtoplogist says:

Dear Shambon,

I hate to bee pedantic, but you need to check you’re speling and gramer before you poast. There is no xkuse for missspeling piont. A former poaster named Alison set a high standerd for speling and gramer in her thoughtful and sensitive poast. I hope Ive maid my piont without creating to meny sparcks.

I woud try to respeckt Davids opinions if i could figgure out what the hell he said.

Dr. Ferenst Anrtoplogist, Christian Practitioner of Anrtoplogy

• Drained and Washed Clean says:

You are asking me to respect a person who obviously has not taken advantage of the education that he was given. People fought hard to give us this education system. You have to try really hard to be that bad at spelling and grammar. One who doesn’t respect intelligence (and who has no idea what he is talking about) doesn’t deserve to have his opinions respected.

6. X says:

How did he manage to start the paragraph using the proper spelling of “you” and then used U every other time.
    He’d make a good point “exept” his language was so terrible a third grader would laugh at him.
    He goes on to call himself an atheist, but at the end refers to himself with bible-huggers.

The whole point of the letter to the Kansas schoolboard evaded poor david, and he seems to think the only reason for this site to exist is to solely bash christians who stupid things, like going to war zones with bibles. *NOTE – that is stupid*

The few points that David makes in his rant are bare-boned, and more often than not, generalizations.
    Do all christians know and understand science – To a point.
    Do they accept it – on certain things.

Dave thinks of them as idiot un-educated rednecks * along with pastafarians * who have feelings.
    You can’t bash what’s being bashed and then stand up and support it Dave.

If you are an atheist. you give us a bad name.

X

7. stylusmobilus says:

David’s Law

God= Santa(uninformed child x too late)

• Drained and Washed Clean says:

That is HYSTERICAL! I LOLed :)

8. Scott Martin says:

Atheists? I thought we were in a religion! I thought we should be free to choose our religious beliefs as we allow others to do so, not vilified by angry sectarians. i don’t know where the religious freedom in that fellows awful rant is.
    Personally I love what our Church is doing!
    Hail the FSM!