What exactly do you think you are going to prove?

Published July 22nd, 2011 by Bobby Henderson

What exactly do you think you are going to prove? it’s just disrespectful to other human beings faiths and beliefs, and im sure u of all people should know u can’t put any sense into say a devout christian. Honestly, what your doing is the equivalant of making a rude, sarcastic joke to a child that doesn’t understand humor. u cant tell a christian thats been raised from birth to believe that there’s a magic man in the clouds that he’s wrong. you’ll just get what uve been getting, hate mail, and death threats. God is the equivalant of santa exept the child is never told he isn’t real until it’s to late. and u think your doing a good thing by making up this pastafarian crap to prove how absurd the idea of god is. what i don’t think u understand is that u cant argue with idiots about this stuff as most christians are dont know a thing about science.(I apoligize to all respectable christian scientists). as an athiest, im disgusted what youre doing. like making fun of christians being killed by somali’s, and u quoting, "apparently they thought there god could give them safe passage"(yes ive read ur website). really, did it ever, or does it ever occur to you that these people are actually human being’s with family’s and feeling’s, and just because they think the world was created  differantly than u, u have to mock them… that’s kind of a dick move. your being no better than they are(religious people) by making fun of and disrespecting other people just ’cause they think differantly than u. oh wait u are religous, u worship a flying spaggetti monster. which means i have the right to ridicule u on how stupid your dumbfuck religion is(oh may the great pasta diety forgive me for my sin) and dont deny that u worship the all mighty pasta king, because your the leader of the church. with the true words of your religion written on a piece of paper. it’s ironic that u, by trying to prove how bad religion is. go about it by u yourself inbodying everything that is wrong with human beliefs. u are everything that is wrong with athiesm. u go around acting all superior and pompus, like u know better than everyone else and tell them why there wrong mockingly. the world would be a better place if u took all your "followers" (butt pirates) got on a pirate ship and ate spaggetti until you all died of overeating.have u ever heard the term live and let live? and i love it how  u post all the hate mail u get on a your page to be ridiculed by your cronies( who by the way need to get of the internet and do something productive)yes we all the the bible huggars are gonna say dumb stuff because they’re uneducated. but that doesn’t mean u have to be immature and make fun of there faults so just lay off. even though this message sounds hostile just know i agree with what your’e trying to do (i think) educating people, i just wholly disagree with how u are going about it.

-David

A short response from Bobby:

It’s not our intention to mock or offend anyone. But I realize people sometimes feel mocked  or offended.

It might be fair to say that we’re disrespectful.  I would agree that most Pastafarians don’t respect the notion that religion should sit on a pedestal.  We don’t think that because an action is explained in the context of religion it is exempt from the scrutiny it otherwise would have been subjected to.  Religion is not a free pass for crazy ideas and crazy actions.

I would agree that it’s not our place to pass judgment on those who see the world through a lens of religion.  But neither is it our place to ignore when personal belief becomes public action.  We can accept that some choose to teach their kids the earth is 6000 years old and that dinosaurs are a myth.  But if they push for those ideas to be taught in our schools, it’s no longer a question of respecting personal belief.

The idea that rational minded people must be anti-religion is a wrong one, I think.   If we must draw a line to divide ourselves, I’d prefer the line be positioned between reasonable and unreasonable people, rather than religious and non-religious people.

It’s one thing to see the world through a lens, and another thing to act as if it’s the only lens that can exist.

I believe there is no group more tolerant of other religious and nonreligious groups than Pastafarians, without question.  The death of the Christian sailors by pirates was a sad thing for everyone who heard of it, I’m sure.  My hope is that it doesn’t happen again.  The hard question is:  will criticizing the decision to venture into dangerous areas on the basis of faith help avoid a similar situation in the future?  I don’t know the answer.  But I wonder how many of their friends and family wish they had shaken them and said this is a bad idea, don’t do this.  This is one of the hard questions – this line between respect and concern.

799 Responses to “What exactly do you think you are going to prove?”

1 3 4 5 6 7 27
  1. Trev says:

As Bobby said*

(Maybe I hould learn to read lol.)

• PeterMcgee1178 says:

2. PeterMcgee1178 says:

Hey y’all!

I have an interesting story to tell you!

So, the other day I was walking down an alleyway in the cold of the night. I was just walking listlessly through, waiting for my ride out of town….. Suddenly, a small ray of light came from the bin beside me. I went to investigate and it turns out it was just a homless man reading Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets using the light from his Ipad…… Anyway, then a huuuuge ray light came from above me, and I looked up saw the Flying Spaghetti Monster!!!! We sort of awkwardly looked at eachother for a few seconds, then finally I asked… “so umm…. you like nintendo?”

“blargoasidfhoadghdfgoih”, he replied…..

So umm then he flew down to eye level beside me, hit me on the face and left…

Apparetly the Flying Spaghetti Monster does not like Nintendo…….

Just thought I’d let you all know :)

• wulff says:

The pharmacy called. Your prescription is ready. Don’t stop taking your meds. Seriously.

• Basil A Coriander says:

I think you have been deceived, the FSM loves Nintendo. He told me himself as we played Super Mario Galaxy (he’s much better at it than me).

• TiltedHorizon says:

Hey…… I thought this was supposed to be an ‘interesting’ story. On a side note, all those corded Wii controllers would get tangled in his noodly appendages. I think FSM would prefer the 360 or PS3 (assuming the FSM is a gamer).

• Veekey says:

It would be awesome if FSM was a gamer, because I am a gamer. Maybe one day we could play a fun game of TF2 or maybe co-op in Portal 2. I really do hope that we could play video games together. (One day I hope to become a video game designer and programmer :D)

• Sky says:

I think you misinterpreted his “blargoasidfhoadghdfgoih”. We shall never know.

3. PeterMcgee1178 says:

homeless*

4. Veekey says:

I find this letter/mail very funny. 1) Because of this person’s punctuation and 2) Because you /actually/ think we’re serious.
    FSMism (or Pastafarianism) isn’t supposed to be /that/ serious. If you’re such an Athiest than why do you care about what we do? We have absolutely nothing to do you with (as an individual). What did we ever do to you? Did we (as individuals) do or say something to piss you off?
    And did you ever go to school? Can you not write properly? How about you learn how to write before you start sending us hate mail because quite frankly I am a little OCD about punctuation.
    Also, have you ever heard of the saying ‘If you don’t have anything nice to say than don’t say it at all’?
    It’s common sense. Yes, it’s not illegal for you to voice your opinion but to bag out our religion (Which is just as legit as any other religion) is just wrong.
    Again, us Pastafarians don’t take ourselves seriously. So STOP with all the hate mail!

Thanks for sharing your opinion (…Not.) with all the concerned Pastafarians (Which is none).
    I really do hope that you can have the privilage to be touched by His Noodly Appendage.

RAmen
    - Veekey

5. Fons Jena says:

Hi,

Occasionally I read this website because the existence of religion worries me. Reading the comments on these ‘hate-mails’ is very enjoyable but sometimes frustrating (therefore my comment). I do believe in a single truth by which you can judge everything else (my website is dedicated to it…no time to finish it). And that ‘singular truth’ is hard to find but worth trying. Don’t know if my comment is well placed or in any way welcome but without trying you won’t get anywhere I guess.
    One of my principles is that denying the truth is a crime against humanity. Man can only make good decisions when he as correct information at its disposal. Therefore I think that a belief in something other than the truth is a crime against civilized society. Some are worse than others of course. Yes you can believe in crazy stuff as long as you don’t need a church or a television channel. But it will affect your capacity to make optimal decisions. The FSM church was at first sight a good thing (I like how it started, the story at school…) and still is, as long as you don’t start to think the monster is the truth. Again, not trying to offend anybody but the truth is sometimes a painfull reality that many can’t accept. But like I always say:

“You probably won’t agree, but it is quite normal: your reference frame (the standards you use to judge) rejects everything that is in violation with that very same reference frame of yours (some sort of defense mehcanism of a organism capable of thought). In other words, you reject thoughts your reference frame defines as ‘bad’ or ‘dangerous’. Thus making it, at first hand, impossible to accept something that you disagree with. But sooner or later, truth will victor.”

Being scared to be judged by my english, I must say it is my third language. Also, it is not my intention to spread my ‘thoughts’ about this but I just think that talking about these matters is very important for the further evolution of our world. And as you might guess, I like talking about these matters, but unfortunately, too few people (especially the younger ones) don’t think/talk about these important subjects.

Greetings,
    Fons Jena

• Fons Jena says:

Oops,
      I wanted to say something about the hate mail itself: to some extent I agree with him but why worry about it? FSM is in my eyes a good way to put these matters under the loop and make it less of a taboo. I understand his reaction but I do believe it is right to say that religious people are wrong and make ‘fun’ of them so they maybe start to realize their immaturity. To combat evil you must be evil in some way if you want (only if being good does not work…).

• Brian says:

First off, English is my first language and I still don’t always get it right, so kudos on knowing three. And I believe, hopefully, from what I’ve seen, that the younger people are the ones who will further the cause of church-state separation. I’ve met more atheists/agnostics under the age of 30 than I have from my generation. Religion will go on indefinitely, choice is what has to be maintained. CFSM, FFRF, and other forums like these are integral in expressing those ideals, especially since atheists and agnostics don’t have a church or temple, etc, to congregate. There will be crackpots in all aspects of life, including here, don’t let that chase you away. And some of our crackiest-pots are pretty freakin funny… Their cracky-pots are just plain scary!

6. Former dupe of a more ridiculous religion says:

*I apoligize to all respectable christian scientists*

Just wondering why this particularly wacky sect are accorded this respect. Most of the letter runs christians down in an almost embarrassing manner and yet christian scientists are apologised to. Main belief seems to be that nothing is real and you can get to heaven without actually dying. (Can I go to the beer volcano now please?)

Mary Baker Eddy wrote: “Christian Science must be accepted at this point by induction. We admit the whole, because a part is proved and that part illustrates and proves the entire Principle.” (Science and Health, p. 461).
    So………..to sumarise – we can prove that reindeer exist so it naturally follows that Santa does as well.

• Dr. Astronomer says:

I’m going to guess that he meant “scientists that are christian” not “Christian Scientists”.

• Beatrice says:

Are “christian scientists” really christians or really scientists?
        I wonder the same for “hot icecream” and “soap no soap”…

• Brian says:

Christian Science Reindeer are refusing to reveal how it is they actually fly.

7. Brian says:

CFSM was born to place religious-driven political agenda, specifically the teaching of Creationism in public schools under the heading of Science, in an easy to grasp analogous light. It is tongue-in-cheek, but with serious intent. Not to mock, but to strip away the spin and reveal the underlying dogma, masquerading as science.
    rAmen

8. Ed says:

*Communication* is generally defined as “the exchange of thoughts, messages, or information; usually by means of speech, signals, writing, or behavior.” I note that several respondents to this post have included criticism of grammar, spelling, and punctuation – none of which really affected the message the writer was attempting to communicate. I disagree with what David said, and with his perception of Pastafarianism, and I would disagree regardless of his spelling or grammar – but he did effectively (albeit somewhat vituperatively) communicate what his thoughts were. In this era of txt msgng, who has not used shitty grammar, poor spelling, and often no punctuation at all? That bible thingy those other guys read does contain a lot of dogmatic, unbelievable, fairy tale garbage – but like any experienced dumpster diver could tell you, there are often gems hidden beneath the trash: “Let he among you who is without sin be the first to cast a stone”. So, ya’ll should just chill out on the grammar crap, cuz yer comin’ acrost way too effin’ serious, and if you ain’t ever screwed up in yer writing, you need to drink more beer or sumpin…

• Drained and Washed Clean says:

It is serious. Education is something that should be taken seriously. David has obviously not taken advantage of the education afforded to him in multiple ways. He cannot form a coherent argument, he lacks the ability to spell check, he is commenting on information that he is assuming and does not actually have, he is lazy and refuses to do research to make sure there is something to actually back up what he is saying. Those are all very serious problems. If one doesn’t want his/her grammar criticized then one should use appropriate grammar.

And the texting and laziness that is associated with it? No excuse for one to use poor grammar when on is attempting to make an argument AND has plenty of time to edit. Stop trying to rationalize idiocy.

• Ed says:

Agreed – education is serious, and I feel fortunate that I had the opportunity to obtain a fairly decent one (although I don’t want to ever stop learning!) – but I am also aware that not eveyone has had that opportunity. Quality education is NOT available to everyone everywhere, and complete illiteracy is still not uncommon. Did David have the time to spell check, review, and edit his letter; does David have the education necessary to even realize his presentation errors? Neither you nor I have the answer to those questions. Maybe he wrote it on a borrowed ipad while sitting in the men’s room on his lunch break at some factory, maybe he dropped out of school because the gang-bangers were making his life miserable, maybe this, maybe that. Yes, his argument (or whatever it was) is poorly formed and somewhat incoherent – and he makes assumptions without proper research. That qualifies him to be a politician (and probably a succesful one), but does not mean he ever received the education necessary to know better. So, until a decent education is readily available to all who desire one, I shall continue to defend the rights of idiots to be… idiots.

• Drained and Washed Clean says:

As a teacher, I resent that. And what of the education he should have received at home? Education starts at home, and the children in the system who want to learn do. He also has the ability to open a book, watch an educational program, take additional classes… So there really is no excuse except lack of willingness.

• TiltedHorizon says:

“but he did effectively (albeit somewhat vituperatively) communicate what his thoughts were.”

Sorry Ed, I think your assessment is incorrect. The only thing Dave did effectively was to contradict himself. From the start of his post he makes it clear he does not think highly of the faithful, specifically calling them ‘idiots’ and dismissing them as ‘children’. It is clear from his opening argument that he does not care about their feelings but then proceeds to take umbrage with our approach, declaring their ‘feelings’ are not being considered. Eh?

Can *communication*still be considered as an “exchange of thoughts, messages, or information” when the thoughts, messages or information is circular, contradictory and unformed?

• Ed says:

Agreed (again! – damn, I’m agreeable today), and your point is well taken. I continue to object to criticism of his grammar, spelling, and punctuation, since such criticism assumes an education that he may not have, but I cannot object to your comment that his message was rather contradictory and circular. So, yes, my assessment was not correct in that regard, and I accept your critique as graciously as it was given. There’s never a need to apologize if you disagree with me – if I ever think I’m right ALL the time, I will form the Church of Ed, and call down a host of avenging butterflies upon you.

1 3 4 5 6 7 27