What exactly do you think you are going to prove?

Published July 22nd, 2011 by Bobby Henderson

What exactly do you think you are going to prove? it’s just disrespectful to other human beings faiths and beliefs, and im sure u of all people should know u can’t put any sense into say a devout christian. Honestly, what your doing is the equivalant of making a rude, sarcastic joke to a child that doesn’t understand humor. u cant tell a christian thats been raised from birth to believe that there’s a magic man in the clouds that he’s wrong. you’ll just get what uve been getting, hate mail, and death threats. God is the equivalant of santa exept the child is never told he isn’t real until it’s to late. and u think your doing a good thing by making up this pastafarian crap to prove how absurd the idea of god is. what i don’t think u understand is that u cant argue with idiots about this stuff as most christians are dont know a thing about science.(I apoligize to all respectable christian scientists). as an athiest, im disgusted what youre doing. like making fun of christians being killed by somali’s, and u quoting, "apparently they thought there god could give them safe passage"(yes ive read ur website). really, did it ever, or does it ever occur to you that these people are actually human being’s with family’s and feeling’s, and just because they think the world was created  differantly than u, u have to mock them… that’s kind of a dick move. your being no better than they are(religious people) by making fun of and disrespecting other people just ’cause they think differantly than u. oh wait u are religous, u worship a flying spaggetti monster. which means i have the right to ridicule u on how stupid your dumbfuck religion is(oh may the great pasta diety forgive me for my sin) and dont deny that u worship the all mighty pasta king, because your the leader of the church. with the true words of your religion written on a piece of paper. it’s ironic that u, by trying to prove how bad religion is. go about it by u yourself inbodying everything that is wrong with human beliefs. u are everything that is wrong with athiesm. u go around acting all superior and pompus, like u know better than everyone else and tell them why there wrong mockingly. the world would be a better place if u took all your "followers" (butt pirates) got on a pirate ship and ate spaggetti until you all died of overeating.have u ever heard the term live and let live? and i love it how  u post all the hate mail u get on a your page to be ridiculed by your cronies( who by the way need to get of the internet and do something productive)yes we all the the bible huggars are gonna say dumb stuff because they’re uneducated. but that doesn’t mean u have to be immature and make fun of there faults so just lay off. even though this message sounds hostile just know i agree with what your’e trying to do (i think) educating people, i just wholly disagree with how u are going about it.

-David

A short response from Bobby:

It’s not our intention to mock or offend anyone. But I realize people sometimes feel mocked  or offended.

It might be fair to say that we’re disrespectful.  I would agree that most Pastafarians don’t respect the notion that religion should sit on a pedestal.  We don’t think that because an action is explained in the context of religion it is exempt from the scrutiny it otherwise would have been subjected to.  Religion is not a free pass for crazy ideas and crazy actions.

I would agree that it’s not our place to pass judgment on those who see the world through a lens of religion.  But neither is it our place to ignore when personal belief becomes public action.  We can accept that some choose to teach their kids the earth is 6000 years old and that dinosaurs are a myth.  But if they push for those ideas to be taught in our schools, it’s no longer a question of respecting personal belief.

The idea that rational minded people must be anti-religion is a wrong one, I think.   If we must draw a line to divide ourselves, I’d prefer the line be positioned between reasonable and unreasonable people, rather than religious and non-religious people.

It’s one thing to see the world through a lens, and another thing to act as if it’s the only lens that can exist.

I believe there is no group more tolerant of other religious and nonreligious groups than Pastafarians, without question.  The death of the Christian sailors by pirates was a sad thing for everyone who heard of it, I’m sure.  My hope is that it doesn’t happen again.  The hard question is:  will criticizing the decision to venture into dangerous areas on the basis of faith help avoid a similar situation in the future?  I don’t know the answer.  But I wonder how many of their friends and family wish they had shaken them and said this is a bad idea, don’t do this.  This is one of the hard questions – this line between respect and concern.

800 Responses to “What exactly do you think you are going to prove?”

1. Tyler KP says:

The way he talks so badly about religion and religious people, I’d say he’s closer to being “everything that is wrong with athiesm” than we are.

2. Dionaea says:

The quality of the spelling and grammar in this letter does not inspire a serious response. My compliments to Bobby for giving such a good rebuttal.

Ramen

3. freddymac says:

Behold your sacred relic desecrated in urine. harrr harrrr…

• Former dupe of a more ridiculous religion says:

a thousand points of resistance. no point to the site

• Former dupe of a more ridiculous religion says:

A small accident. It can happen to anyone after over indulgence at the beer volcano.

• TiltedHorizon says:

Makes perfect sense as many a piss has been inspired by partaking in the holy brew.

4. PastaPastor says:

Hi David, hope you take the time to read some replies.

We absolutely do not mock other people’s religions, and I find your intolerance of our religion an absolute mockery of the overall thread of your ranting. You’ve clearly read some of the website, but I think you need to read a lot more in order to understand our pasta-loving ways, particularly the origins of the church.

However, while I have your attention, I would like to take you to task regarding your use of ‘atheism’. I can accept that you are an atheist and ‘disgusted’ by our belief in a deity, but I particularly object to your mockery of BH as worshipping the FSM, then telling us all we are everything that’s wrong with atheism! Make your bloody mind up, either we believe in a deity or we don’t!

We know we can’t argue with idiots, but we are willing to take the time to post answers to their letters.

Come over to the saucy side – we have meatballs!

5. Brian Fritzen says:

I am just so sick and tired of all these Christians getting their shit mixed up with what is really going on in the world. Hey Mr. Christian, explain the killing of all those kids in Norway by a Fundamentalist Christian…. big fucking surprise in him being a Christian. And yes, many, many of you are like that.

Though you may not pull the trigger, you are certainly behind many of the atrocities in the world simply by supporting your Christian religion. A religion, mind you, that really has nothing Christlike about it. You base all your bullshit on a poor English translation of Greek which is an even poorer translation of older languages. And on and on and on.

Certainly, you don’t feel responsible, but it is you who allow your religion to push absurd notions as truths (not the teachings of Jesus) but such silliness as Adam and Eve, Homosex as abomination, a worldwide flood. Your inaction to stop your religion from influencing politicians when it comes to science and medicine (ie stem cell research) is unacceptable and makes you guilty of allowing people to die from the diseases that could have been prevented.

Your inability to speak against such groups as the Christian Children’s Fund which doesn’t “convert by the sword” anymore, but converts by starvation. Sure, they will feed and educate a kid, just so long as you convert to your sick religion. If they don’t? They starve. Nice going.

But (and granted, the Norwegian Tragedy has angered me) Humans no longer have a need for your silly nonsense. It is time to put the toys away and stop playing make believe. It is time to place math and science and art at the forefront of the human endeavor and reject such teachings from the mountebanks and the charlatans of “Christ”ianity.

6. PirateOnPtree says:

Fellow Pastafarians,

David is obviously 12 years old. Lets not feed the tween-trolls.

That is all.

7. Stu says:

People, people… let’s not dwell on this any longer.

Come, let us light the fire, boil the pot, plunge the pasta, tap the keg and sail away from this terrible person.

And let the touch of the noodley appendages never alight on this David, and especially not on his grammar and spelling skills.

Let him live out his days in the Trollian Wildernesses, where there is a never ending supply of crayons and butchers’ paper for them all to scrawl upon, so that they may leave us all in peace and quiet.

Ramen, anyone?

• Bigslicka says:

RAMEN!

8. Apostle Strozzapreti says:

Something afoul is in the air….(and I dont mean rotten meat-balls). I hate to be Captain Obvious, but why would an atheist care one bit what pastafarians think? I was an atheist for many moons, than I woke up- and realized how cliche’ and limited my own thinking was. Being agnostic is so much better- purely on a intelluctual level. When I hear the word- Atheist- I think of a angry, bitter, obese bald guy living in his moms basement. (apologies in advance to all “normal” atheists).

Also, if you want to be taken serious, paragraph structure and coherence will go along way to meet this end…
    just saying…… May his/her holy sauce grease your collective unconscious…..

• midnight rider says:

Why would an atheist defend ‘other human’s faiths and beliefs’ on a website forum?

• midnight rider says:

So what kind of agnostic are you? I’m personally a fundamentalist orthodox reconstructionist extra crispy agnostic. :)

• Apostle Strozzapreti says:

lol midnight, you have me at a loss for words, and thats not easy my friend!!!! You have been truly touched by his noodly appendage, and my hat off to you sir/madam!!!!!