What exactly do you think you are going to prove?

Published July 22nd, 2011 by Bobby Henderson

What exactly do you think you are going to prove? it’s just disrespectful to other human beings faiths and beliefs, and im sure u of all people should know u can’t put any sense into say a devout christian. Honestly, what your doing is the equivalant of making a rude, sarcastic joke to a child that doesn’t understand humor. u cant tell a christian thats been raised from birth to believe that there’s a magic man in the clouds that he’s wrong. you’ll just get what uve been getting, hate mail, and death threats. God is the equivalant of santa exept the child is never told he isn’t real until it’s to late. and u think your doing a good thing by making up this pastafarian crap to prove how absurd the idea of god is. what i don’t think u understand is that u cant argue with idiots about this stuff as most christians are dont know a thing about science.(I apoligize to all respectable christian scientists). as an athiest, im disgusted what youre doing. like making fun of christians being killed by somali’s, and u quoting, "apparently they thought there god could give them safe passage"(yes ive read ur website). really, did it ever, or does it ever occur to you that these people are actually human being’s with family’s and feeling’s, and just because they think the world was created  differantly than u, u have to mock them… that’s kind of a dick move. your being no better than they are(religious people) by making fun of and disrespecting other people just ’cause they think differantly than u. oh wait u are religous, u worship a flying spaggetti monster. which means i have the right to ridicule u on how stupid your dumbfuck religion is(oh may the great pasta diety forgive me for my sin) and dont deny that u worship the all mighty pasta king, because your the leader of the church. with the true words of your religion written on a piece of paper. it’s ironic that u, by trying to prove how bad religion is. go about it by u yourself inbodying everything that is wrong with human beliefs. u are everything that is wrong with athiesm. u go around acting all superior and pompus, like u know better than everyone else and tell them why there wrong mockingly. the world would be a better place if u took all your "followers" (butt pirates) got on a pirate ship and ate spaggetti until you all died of overeating.have u ever heard the term live and let live? and i love it how  u post all the hate mail u get on a your page to be ridiculed by your cronies( who by the way need to get of the internet and do something productive)yes we all the the bible huggars are gonna say dumb stuff because they’re uneducated. but that doesn’t mean u have to be immature and make fun of there faults so just lay off. even though this message sounds hostile just know i agree with what your’e trying to do (i think) educating people, i just wholly disagree with how u are going about it.

-David

A short response from Bobby:

It’s not our intention to mock or offend anyone. But I realize people sometimes feel mocked  or offended.

It might be fair to say that we’re disrespectful.  I would agree that most Pastafarians don’t respect the notion that religion should sit on a pedestal.  We don’t think that because an action is explained in the context of religion it is exempt from the scrutiny it otherwise would have been subjected to.  Religion is not a free pass for crazy ideas and crazy actions.

I would agree that it’s not our place to pass judgment on those who see the world through a lens of religion.  But neither is it our place to ignore when personal belief becomes public action.  We can accept that some choose to teach their kids the earth is 6000 years old and that dinosaurs are a myth.  But if they push for those ideas to be taught in our schools, it’s no longer a question of respecting personal belief.

The idea that rational minded people must be anti-religion is a wrong one, I think.   If we must draw a line to divide ourselves, I’d prefer the line be positioned between reasonable and unreasonable people, rather than religious and non-religious people.

It’s one thing to see the world through a lens, and another thing to act as if it’s the only lens that can exist.

I believe there is no group more tolerant of other religious and nonreligious groups than Pastafarians, without question.  The death of the Christian sailors by pirates was a sad thing for everyone who heard of it, I’m sure.  My hope is that it doesn’t happen again.  The hard question is:  will criticizing the decision to venture into dangerous areas on the basis of faith help avoid a similar situation in the future?  I don’t know the answer.  But I wonder how many of their friends and family wish they had shaken them and said this is a bad idea, don’t do this.  This is one of the hard questions – this line between respect and concern.

800 Responses to “What exactly do you think you are going to prove?”

1 21 22 23 24 25 27
  1. Daniel Løvbrøtte Olsen says:

I’d take him so much more seriously if he’d spelled correctly

• Lunatequ says:

Grammar Nazi mode: engaged.

2. Lexagonal says:

Lol I was brought up as a chirstian and at the moment I’m humanist thinking of being a Pastafarian. Don’t dis the FSM.

• James says:

If you are a Humanist, you’re already a Pastafarian.

May the sauce be upon you.

3. Bosn_C_Otter says:

I don’t mean to insult your intelligence, but its “You” not “u”. Its ok, you can type more than 140 here.

• Lunatequ says:

I don’t mean to insult YOUR intelligence, but it’s “it’s”, not “its” when you’re saying “it is”. It’s ok, you can use apostrophes here.

4. Dale says:

Besides decrying what he calls disrespect with insulting language toward those who don’t share his beliefs it seems that some classes in English Composition would serve David well. Or, if that is not an option, spellcheck perhaps. It is much harder to dismiss a stated position out of hand when it is delivered coherently and without a stream of spelling and grammatical errors.

• Adam Green says:

So what about the message. Not the spelling and stuff.

• Keith says:

To be honest I could not read it simply because it was so badly written.

5. Georgia says:

I was raised as a Christian, and I got confirmed into the church, not because I wanted to, but because “your grandmother would have a heart attack and think you were going to hell if you are not confirmed.” I have never really believed in “my” religion. I find that, if God does exist, I do not want to be a part of His church. He lets people suffer, people who are kind and loving and do not deserve it. He lets wars in His name play out over and over again. What kind of God is that? I believe that the idea of a Flying Spaghetti Monster is just as believable as “a giant man who lives in the sky and will make people go to hell for not being the right religion.” And, anyways, if there is a god, all of us come from the same one. It doesn’t matter what you believe in, that will not change anything. Also, grammar and spelling go a long way to prove a point. I have dysgraphia and my spelling is better than yours.

6. コロンビア 新作 says:

コロンビア titanium

7. Fossegrimen says:

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but there are a lot of comments here and I simply didn’t wade through them all.

Tolerance is a good thing, but I really can’t agree with one part of Bobbys reply:

[quote] We can accept that some choose to teach their kids the earth is 6000 years old and that dinosaurs are a myth. [/quote]

It is not better to lie to your own children than it is to lie to other peoples children. Children should not be raised on lies period. If a parent believes in the lies, then I believe that parent is not competent to raise children, sorry.

• Rev.Stu says:

Really?” You simply did not wade through them all” (comments on this thread) So you don’t feel the need to show your peers proper respect? Perhaps you are simple.
      From your comment here it seems you equate acceptance with approval. Are you in congress? There some folks believe that 53% of the vote when 70% of registered voters cast ballots equals a mandate from the people. Some congressmen have publicly admitted they don’t read the laws they vote on – they are too long, too much to wade through.
      I accept that parents are screwing up their kids all the time – too many parents are abusive. Parents should not beat on their kids or use them as sex toys.
      We can “should” on bad parents all we want but I accept their existence. (The essential isness of endless becoming.)
      Remen

8. Maddie says:

‘Being’s', ‘somali’s’ and ‘feeling’s’ do not need apostrophes, as they are not possessive!
    ‘Family’s’ does not need an apostrophe either, but it’s not even spelt ‘familys’, it’s ‘families’.

It’s not like adding an apostrophe is going to make you write faster, so it’s just plain bad grammar.

Would you like to join me back at school?

1 21 22 23 24 25 27