What exactly do you think you are going to prove?

Published July 22nd, 2011 by Bobby Henderson

What exactly do you think you are going to prove? it’s just disrespectful to other human beings faiths and beliefs, and im sure u of all people should know u can’t put any sense into say a devout christian. Honestly, what your doing is the equivalant of making a rude, sarcastic joke to a child that doesn’t understand humor. u cant tell a christian thats been raised from birth to believe that there’s a magic man in the clouds that he’s wrong. you’ll just get what uve been getting, hate mail, and death threats. God is the equivalant of santa exept the child is never told he isn’t real until it’s to late. and u think your doing a good thing by making up this pastafarian crap to prove how absurd the idea of god is. what i don’t think u understand is that u cant argue with idiots about this stuff as most christians are dont know a thing about science.(I apoligize to all respectable christian scientists). as an athiest, im disgusted what youre doing. like making fun of christians being killed by somali’s, and u quoting, "apparently they thought there god could give them safe passage"(yes ive read ur website). really, did it ever, or does it ever occur to you that these people are actually human being’s with family’s and feeling’s, and just because they think the world was created  differantly than u, u have to mock them… that’s kind of a dick move. your being no better than they are(religious people) by making fun of and disrespecting other people just ’cause they think differantly than u. oh wait u are religous, u worship a flying spaggetti monster. which means i have the right to ridicule u on how stupid your dumbfuck religion is(oh may the great pasta diety forgive me for my sin) and dont deny that u worship the all mighty pasta king, because your the leader of the church. with the true words of your religion written on a piece of paper. it’s ironic that u, by trying to prove how bad religion is. go about it by u yourself inbodying everything that is wrong with human beliefs. u are everything that is wrong with athiesm. u go around acting all superior and pompus, like u know better than everyone else and tell them why there wrong mockingly. the world would be a better place if u took all your "followers" (butt pirates) got on a pirate ship and ate spaggetti until you all died of overeating.have u ever heard the term live and let live? and i love it how  u post all the hate mail u get on a your page to be ridiculed by your cronies( who by the way need to get of the internet and do something productive)yes we all the the bible huggars are gonna say dumb stuff because they’re uneducated. but that doesn’t mean u have to be immature and make fun of there faults so just lay off. even though this message sounds hostile just know i agree with what your’e trying to do (i think) educating people, i just wholly disagree with how u are going about it.

-David

A short response from Bobby:

It’s not our intention to mock or offend anyone. But I realize people sometimes feel mocked  or offended.

It might be fair to say that we’re disrespectful.  I would agree that most Pastafarians don’t respect the notion that religion should sit on a pedestal.  We don’t think that because an action is explained in the context of religion it is exempt from the scrutiny it otherwise would have been subjected to.  Religion is not a free pass for crazy ideas and crazy actions.

I would agree that it’s not our place to pass judgment on those who see the world through a lens of religion.  But neither is it our place to ignore when personal belief becomes public action.  We can accept that some choose to teach their kids the earth is 6000 years old and that dinosaurs are a myth.  But if they push for those ideas to be taught in our schools, it’s no longer a question of respecting personal belief.

The idea that rational minded people must be anti-religion is a wrong one, I think.   If we must draw a line to divide ourselves, I’d prefer the line be positioned between reasonable and unreasonable people, rather than religious and non-religious people.

It’s one thing to see the world through a lens, and another thing to act as if it’s the only lens that can exist.

I believe there is no group more tolerant of other religious and nonreligious groups than Pastafarians, without question.  The death of the Christian sailors by pirates was a sad thing for everyone who heard of it, I’m sure.  My hope is that it doesn’t happen again.  The hard question is:  will criticizing the decision to venture into dangerous areas on the basis of faith help avoid a similar situation in the future?  I don’t know the answer.  But I wonder how many of their friends and family wish they had shaken them and said this is a bad idea, don’t do this.  This is one of the hard questions – this line between respect and concern.

798 Responses to “What exactly do you think you are going to prove?”

1 18 19 20 21 22 27
  1. Tasm10 says:

You can overuse brackets “David”…….and it really takes something away from the “argument” you were trying to put forward, having said that the “argument” was lacking substance to begin with, so I suppose using apropriate grammar and spelling would just be pissing in the wind.

2. Alex says:

Please, David, if you are going to speak of the “un-educated”, than use the proper language, e.g. “You” instead of “u”.
    Honestly, I’m only 17 and I know the difference.

3. Aaron says:

When I live in a world where it’s wrong to make fun of people for the belief they get to shove a genocidal maniacs book down our throats, by all means, take me off of it! Read a bible, look at the laws passed that only exist because of it, and tell me how it’s ok for them to rule by a fairy tale, but wrong for us to make up our own, and use it to show how wrong they are for all the people who died for theirs. When the church of FSM has killed .0000001% as many people as Christianity and Islam, you can tell us to shut up, until then, you are the ones who need to shut up! Now instead of shoving your religion down the throats of others, why not focus on things like how many Gods there are in Christianity!

4. orangehoney says:

Preach it! Ah, it’s so refreshing to cleanse my eyes with words written by someone who can actually string a sentence together. You write so well, reading these replies is almost a religious experience to me!

5. Sam says:

honestly, I AGREE 1000029034% with David. Though its my first time in this site, just by reading your comments, it is clear to see majority of the people who frequent this site are rather immature. David is pointing clear faults on your part and you people choose to ignore the hard hitting message he is trying to get across and instead pick on him for his grammar. Seems like there is nothing better for you guys to hate on except such trivial things which doesn’t portray yourselves in a very positive light.

• Reverend Captain Mal says:

Obviously, you did not read enough. David’s points have been argued and quite maturely I might add. The criticism of his grammar most likely came about because of the personal attacks David made in his letter. It would seem that telling people the world would be a better place if they all died isn’t the best approach if one seeks mature debate.

Stick around a little while and actually pay attention to what’s going on before judging our entire community based on a few comments you read.

• TiltedHorizon says:

The only thing Dave did effectively was to contradict himself; repeatedly. From the start of his post he makes it clear he does not think highly of the faithful, specifically calling them ‘idiots’; dismissing them as ‘children’. It is clear from his opening argument that he does NOT care about their feelings but then he proceeds to take umbrage with our approach, declaring their ‘feelings’ are not being considered.

I think you need to re-read this post you 1000029034% agree with.

6. Autymom says:

What’s wrong with people?! Knowledge is a gift! EVERY idea can teach us something, can make us stronger. You won’t like everything you learn, but it all has some value. Stop being so angry/afraid and take it all in for Pasta’s sake! We’re a tiny atom on the itchy cosmic @ss..none of us know anything!!!! That ‘s what ideas are for!

7. Bambam says:

Uhm, guys, what’s with all the serious replies? This guy “David” is clearly trolling. It’s kinda ironic that a troll who trolls a troll religion is taken serious by the troll religion followers…

Oh wait, i get it now! We are trolling the troll with serious replies!

Uhum, let me clear my throat: “David, you can’t spell and your post is filled with contradictions!”

That’ll teach him. Hurr Durr!

• Totally Not Mark Zuckerberg says:

I wish you could like comments here.

8. Joemama's mama says:

Hilarious. People who are offended by this site are dopes. I’ve got my own set of beliefs, albeit I DO agree with the message behind this site. My beliefs are my own, as well are the Pastafarians’. Let’s have some beers sometime! ! Woohoo!!

1 18 19 20 21 22 27